2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Marshall has more returning players on both sides of the ball than Texas High this season...... BUT.... the Tigers have their QB set in cement, while the Mavs will be looking for a signal-caller.

That alone should make the Tigers the early favorite for the district title.  Depends on how good their defense will be.

Pine Tree....IMHO will be in the race with Marshall and THS.  They have a ton coming back.... but....as usual, their defense is likely to be suspect.

Mav defense was pretty stingy last season.  That SHOULD continue this season.  Running game should be in good shape again too.  WR corps will be loaded.  BUT..... finding that QB will be essential.  Might be the Burris kid, who is an outstanding athlete and a hard worker.    Might be someone else.

Pity with no spring ball/7 on 7 to get that solidified.  Will make August real interesting.  

16 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall has more returning players on both sides of the ball than Texas High this season...... BUT.... the Tigers have their QB set in cement, while the Mavs will be looking for a signal-caller.

That alone should make the Tigers the early favorite for the district title.  Depends on how good their defense will be.

Pine Tree....IMHO will be in the race with Marshall and THS.  They have a ton coming back.... but....as usual, their defense is likely to be suspect.

Mav defense was pretty stingy last season.  That SHOULD continue this season.  Running game should be in good shape again too.  WR corps will be loaded.  BUT..... finding that QB will be essential.  Might be the Burris kid, who is an outstanding athlete and a hard worker.    Might be someone else.

Pity with no spring ball/7 on 7 to get that solidified.  Will make August real interesting.  

I’m still not sold on Pine Tree. We gave them that ball game.

2 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I think they are going to score a ton of points this season.  But I think they will give up a ton too.  

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

Now that it’s official, Marshall just picked up a hell of a track coach that will also be the boys JH coordinator. 

JB “Doc” Haggerty

Agree.  Huuuuge hire.  

On 5/5/2020 at 10:31 AM, nacdragon07 said:

I think PT is a clear #3 with a big gap between them and Marshall and Thigh. They have some very good talent coming from Freshman team. They have very good QB/RB combo coming along with Nose Tackle that is going to go D1. 2021 they could better then they have been the last few years.  

Nac. will have a very good freshman team coming this year. They are big and fast, this is going to be our next big group of talent. Nac has a lot of holes to fill at the skill positions-losing starting QB, WR and most of O-Line. 

On 5/6/2020 at 8:32 PM, THSfanatic said:

Arkansas High & Texas High back-to-back.   That is kinda unusual    

Great to see you guys back on the schedule. But hopefully we can beat THigh. Highly unlikely. But maybe the boys will come out this year.

MISD board of trustees approved $550,000 for a new parking lot at MHS/Maverick Stadium.  New lights will installed on the parking lot as well.

This is great news and long overdue.

The new turf at Maverick Stadium is being laid out.  It's going to look fantastic.  IMHO....it's a much better design than the last 2 turfs we've had.  I like the alternating shades of green every 10 yards.  Also happy the endzones won't be red because they fade over time.  Not to mention the new logo. 

Maverick gym renos should be starting soon.  Floor to ceiling redo.  New floor, new stands, new scorer's tables.  The new scoreboards were just installed.... 2 years ago?  Looks great.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  

The board is doing a fantastic job at chipping away all the things that need to get done without a bond.  I think they are sitting at $10-15 million in improvements over the last 2 years or so.    More coming.  Stay tuned.

6 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

Great to see you guys back on the schedule. But hopefully we can beat THigh. Highly unlikely. But maybe the boys will come out this year.

I'm very happy to be in East Texas playing Marshall, Mt Pleasant, and some schools we have a history with.   Last 2 years was awful not knowing anything about the people we were playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THSfanatic said:

I'm very happy to be in East Texas playing Marshall, Mt Pleasant, and some schools we have a history with.   Last 2 years was awful not knowing anything about the people we were playing.

I agree.   Glad to see Texas High join us again. 

Although I think it would have been entertaining to see them in the district with Longview, JT, and HP.   All of which they have history with. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

MISD board of trustees approved $550,000 for a new parking lot at MHS/Maverick Stadium.  New lights will installed on the parking lot as well.

This is great news and long overdue.

The new turf at Maverick Stadium is being laid out.  It's going to look fantastic.  IMHO....it's a much better design than the last 2 turfs we've had.  I like the alternating shades of green every 10 yards.  Also happy the endzones won't be red because they fade over time.  Not to mention the new logo. 

Maverick gym renos should be starting soon.  Floor to ceiling redo.  New floor, new stands, new scorer's tables.  The new scoreboards were just installed.... 2 years ago?  Looks great.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  

The board is doing a fantastic job at chipping away all the things that need to get done without a bond.  I think they are sitting at $10-15 million in improvements over the last 2 years or so.    More coming.  Stay tuned.

Don’t know if you saw but we are finally getting the restrooms at maverick redone too. Something that has been needed for a long time. 

5 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

Don’t know if you saw but we are finally getting the restrooms at maverick redone too. Something that has been needed for a long time. 

Really?   I didn’t see that part. Where is it posted?  

And yes.  LONG overdue.

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Really?   I didn’t see that part. Where is it posted?  

And yes.  LONG overdue.

They just put out requests for proposals this week. It’s on the main isd website 

Just now, Mavs03 said:

They just put out requests for proposals this week. It in the main isd website 

Just saw it.  Thanks for the info.  Great to FINALLY get that done.  

The list of things to do at Maverick Stadium is getting shorter and shorter.  

Concession renovation, bleacher/chair replacement, pavement under the stands on the visitor's side, ticket booths, and new gates/fencing.

Going to be a great place again when it's all done.

A friend of mine sent me a pic of the new turf.  It’s not finished.  The logo isn’t down yet. And the Lettering in the end zones isn’t done. 

But the alternating green looks fantastic.  The black end zones look even better than I hoped. And the red and red and white and black trim around the sidelines is sharp. 

ill post a pic when it’s done and the stadium is open.

Saw them posted on social media.  So I guess it’s fine to post here.  

Turf isn’t finished yet.   Still needs Logos, yard line markers, and endzones to be done.

Request of Proposals are out for the restrooms at Maverick Stadium. 

The to-do list for the stadium is getting shorter and shorter.  

Great job by the school board getting this all done bit by bit without a bond. 

New Pressbox, New stadium lights/standards, video scoreboard, new track, new turf, restrooms to be renovated.

More to come 🤘🏼

2BD3098B-A01D-4AAE-92EB-7E85150A3756.jpeg

42C2BC08-9A4A-43CF-909A-11DBBC628F05.jpeg

81877AF8-10E6-4434-99C3-CB2AE13F40B8.jpeg

7AF0DE5C-960A-489C-8EBF-BCDB1B484CAA.jpeg

Drove by the stadium today. Field looks awesome even without the logos. Looks like they put up new field goal post or finally repainted them but they went with white instead of the funky lime green we had. Stadium is looking better and better with every project they get done. 

@Mavchamp  got a question for you. If I remember correctly didn’t the new pressbox project pictures have letters of either Mavericks or Marshall Mavericks on it?? Just thought it was nice looking when they showed that design but I’ve noticed they have never actually done that to the new pressbox.