2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

12 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

@Mavchamp  got a question for you. If I remember correctly didn’t the new pressbox project pictures have letters of either Mavericks or Marshall Mavericks on it?? Just thought it was nice looking when they showed that design but I’ve noticed they have never actually done that to the new pressbox. 

You are correct.  It wasn’t an actual photo though. Just a Computer generated image. 

432ED671-2A80-4EF7-AF27-30565373AF04.jpeg

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

You are correct.  It wasn’t an actual photo though. Just a Computer generated image. 

Hopefully they’ll eventually do this to the pressbox. IMO it looks great and gives it more character. 

28 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

Hopefully they’ll eventually do this to the pressbox. IMO it looks great and gives it more character. 

agree..... It would look great.

The MISD school board and Dr. Gibson have done an outstanding job of upgrading the athletic facilities without a bond the last couple of years.  

The Wish List for Maverick Stadium is getting shorter and shorter.  They have addressed just about all of the biggest issues now minus the concessions area.   There are a few things I'd selfishly like to see....

Red Stadium chairs on the home side for reserved seating. 
New Bleachers for the rest of the stadium.
East wall behind the endzone painted white.... or bright red (it's kinda faded into a maroon color)
New entryways/ticket booths for Home and visitor's sides
Permanent Booster club spot

When this is all done....it's going to be a place the team and the community can be proud of.

And I can't wait to see the new gym....  it's going to look fantastic.   

More to come!

Lufkin is in the current construction phase of a nice addition right behind the Abe Martin scoreboard.  A new 65,800 sq ft Multi Purpose Facility , $13.6M.  It will have new dressing rooms available for basketball/football, coaches offices for basketball and volleyball,  new training rooms, a new 2200 seat basketball area, a second gym with portable seating for practice and tournament games.  A new video scoreboard control room for football is suppose to be an addition too.  Added parking areas and roadway lighting.  Behind the gym and across the creek construction is ongoing on the new baseball/softball complex, with turf fields and LED lighting, new coaches offices, dressing rooms, batting cages and training rooms, $5.25M  Also they will have an expansion of the existing tennis complex adding 6 new courts for a total of 12 courts in the same area as the baseball/softball complex.   New parking lots, driveways and entry roadways will be added to all the new sites and around the football stadium.   Also, a new $60M Middle School is in the contract stages to begin this summer.  There is nothing on the horizon for football stadium improvements, unless they do it without bond money.

87288548_2765162670248404_2129828789792800768_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin is in the current construction phase of a nice addition right behind the Abe Martin scoreboard.  A new 65,800 sq ft Multi Purpose Facility , $13.6M.  It will have new dressing rooms available for basketball/football, coaches offices for basketball and volleyball,  new training rooms, a new 2200 seat basketball area, a second gym with portable seating for practice and tournament games.  A new video scoreboard control room for football is suppose to be an addition too.  Added parking areas and roadway lighting.  Behind the gym and across the creek construction is ongoing on the new baseball/softball complex, with turf fields and LED lighting, new coaches offices, dressing rooms, batting cages and training rooms, $5.25M  Also they will have an expansion of the existing tennis complex adding 6 new courts for a total of 12 courts in the same area as the baseball/softball complex.   New parking lots, driveways and entry roadways will be added to all the new sites and around the football stadium.   Also, a new $60M Middle School is in the contract stages to begin this summer.  There is nothing on the horizon for football stadium improvements, unless they do it without bond money.

87288548_2765162670248404_2129828789792800768_o.jpg

Great news for LiSD.   Can’t wait to see that gym.

Bonds are hard sales in East Texas. No matter how badly they are needed for some schools.  So glad MISD took care of that back in 2016.  Now every student in MISD is in a brand new school K-8th.  Not many districts can say that. 

MHS has gotten about $15M in renovations (Non athletic)... another $15M is probably needed.  They are smartly doing it without bonds. 

All the athletic improvements have come without bonds too.  Stadium, softball, baseball, tennis, gym.  It’s exciting to see us with first rate facilities again. I think The gym is going to to be spectacular when it’s finished this summer.  

Lots of good things happening. More coming in the horizon.   

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

MISD's school board meeting agenda on Monday night has some big ticket items on it to be voted on.

All the updates look great!  Please tell me there is some $ set aside to acid wash and power wash the aluminum stands to make them shine again?

Mav, would love to know HOW Marshall ISD manages their budget to do all these nice projects without BOND money??   Maybe your school board could give our Lufkin school board a few tips.     We can get turf replacement and new track and things such as that without a bond, however anything larger than those type projects, it has to be a bond around here and usually has to be included  with some large educational project, like  our last bond , which  included building a new $60M Middle school..    I like how they are accomplishing those projects.

41 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Mav, would love to know HOW Marshall ISD manages their budget to do all these nice projects without BOND money??   Maybe your school board could give our Lufkin school board a few tips.     We can get turf replacement and new track and things such as that without a bond, however anything larger than those type projects, it has to be a bond around here and usually has to be included  with some large educational project, like  our last bond , which  included building a new $60M Middle school..    I like how they are accomplishing those projects.

TBH. I think they learned their lesson with the 2015 and 2016 bonds. 

In 2015 it was $150 million dollars. Failed by a VERY slim margin (like 100 votes). The biggest complaint?  The $5.5 million for stadium improvements. No joke. 5 million out of 150M. Insane. 

So they came back a few months later with a slightly smaller bond and nothing for athletics... It passed by a landslide. 

I think it’s been a combination of things to help pay to get things done.  

Left over bond money paid for a good chunk of the renovations at MHS after the bonds were competed.  $7 million I believe. 

A large reserve fund that has been saved through the years.  It was more than twice what the TEA requires.  MISD has dipped into that to help pay for more work at MHS. About $8M. 

Also.... when the bond got the new schools... instead of multiple small elementary campuses... they built larger schools, therefore less campuses.  I can’t remember the exact numbers but I think we went from 8 elementary schools to 5.  We also went from 2 middle schools (5&6) and a JH (7&8) to a single large JH campus.   Operating costs dropped dramatically with fewer campuses AND because they were new schools with little maintenance needs compared to in the past. 

I’ve been told MHS has gotten about 15M in renovations.  Probably has another 10-15M coming in the near future.

As far as the athletic improvements.... it’s been a combination of raising money, left over bond money, and the district doing a little at a time. 

But it’s smart.  I think a bond including athletics is doomed to fail.

Unrelated to sports.... but MISD approved $1M for a new ag barn. And they are going to replace the parking lot at MHS.... which benefits Mav Stadium and Mav gym.

Going to stay mum about the meeting tomorrow until the outcome is decided. But 3 big projects could be on tap for this summer.

From what I understand.... the restrooms at Mav Stadium have been dismantled and ready for renovations. Long overdue.   

Your right, when the bulk of or even half of a bond measure is proposed with athletic structural projects or add on proposals.  They generally fail to get approved.   However, the very same money amount for educational purposes, the bond will  fly through without a hitch.     Just goes to show that the majority of folks in a community, do not think as you or I  about athletic facility improvements or updates.  It has always been hard for me to understand why the negative support for such things are so deep.  For me, I've never minded the extra taxes anymore than myself paying the extra for educational improvements, it's all the same to me.

My hope is if their is any extra funds left over from the current bond or current Lufkin High projects, that our school board might use the extra money to build a NEW free standing press box for Abe Martin.  That is a much needed ADA safety improvement.  Most of the other stuff at ABE is fairly new, the field, track and score board.  They will have new dressing rooms with the completion of the multipurpose gym, then maybe some rearranging  of entry, concessions and restrooms will occur under the home side stands in the next couple of years.  I don't know  for sure,  but I'm sure the powers that be know exactly what I'm speaking about. 🙃  Maybe they do and maybe they don't ??

Anyway, I'm proud for Marshall, you guys look like you have been very proactive in your approach.

50 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Anyway, I'm proud for Marshall, you guys look like you have been very proactive in your approach.

Credit goes to a proactive school board, which was the catalyst to all this change in the early 2010’s.   They were brave enough to try the first bond in 30 years. 

Supt Dr. Gibson has been a game changer academically and with athletics. He is a firm believer that athletics and education go hand in hand.  

Not to mention coach Griedl, who has vision for the program. 

Just a perfect storm of people to get all this done. 

If the proposals pass tomorrow night, added with the new gym, and current projects at the stadium..... when it’s all done we will have top notch facilities for every sport. 

Some of the best in the region. 

Long long looooong overdue. 

I have to give props to Dr. Gibson he has come in and completely changed the culture of the entire district. Just the improvements on the education side is astounding. The group of administrators he has put in place has really helped. I truly hope he sticks around for a while as our district usually feels like a stepping stone for something bigger for superintendents and coaches. 

On the agenda for tomorrow night it will be jaw dropping if the approve all of it on just the thought of where our facilities would stand from just a few short years ago to what they will after everything is completed. Also hats off to coach g and the legacy program to get this all even being able to be considered. 

• Like 1

MISD approved a 120 yard covered all purpose practice facility.   Will be able to facilitate covered provides for fort all, soccer, baseball, softball, marching band, ROTC, drill team, etc   Roof will be 60 foot tall  

Turf for Lady Mav softball

Turf for Mav baseball  

Huge.  Huge. Huge. 

995AF7F8-6978-4499-B24C-CA5D4193E974.jpeg

90E0F5A6-D5CC-49EC-8157-32DCB23AC2E6.jpeg

F3BE1448-988F-4DDD-9D8C-1A5E325AC895.jpeg

5D365650-CB5B-42B0-92C8-6C9B3B80D5A5.jpeg

• Like 2

Question is..... will the covered facility go behind the home side of Maverick Stadium.  It would be less work to prepare with practice fields already there. 

or

Behind the scoreboard... which would be a ton of work to prepare since it’s heavily wooded. It would look sharp there.  But I think I prefer the ambience of the stadium being surrounded by the woods. 

But I’d put money on it being on the practice fields. 

13 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Turf softball/baseball will bring tons on postseason play. 

I think that’s the idea. 

ETBU turfed their baseball and softball fields and they host tons of playoff games. 

Congrats Marshall top facilities are important. Nac is finally getting around to seeing that themselves. The football field looks great can’t wait to see the renovations to the gym and the covered facility. That could be used as a model for the rest of us in the district.