2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

1 hour ago, CUJONATION83 said:

This is what came to mind?

I can't remember what Dallas County is off the top of my head. But I think it's after labor day. Which may mean they have to have an acclimation period. Not sure though. Not sure why else they would have dropped them.  

2 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

I looked at Desoto's Twitter and it says they are looking for a scrimmage the week of Sept 24/25. That's the first week games can be played. So sounds like they will not be cleared to play until the next week from county restrictions. 

6A/5A Dallas county schools will lose that first week from what I've seen, so first game would be the first weekend of October.

Highland Park is in that as well.

Not sure how they're still going to have a 4 non-district games unless they can move their bye week to Sept 24/25.

3 minutes ago, bordertown said:

Texas High picks up a scrimmage on 9/18 with Longview and fills week #2 with Denison (previously Arkansas High).

For what it's worth, the Longview/T High scrimmage had been scheduled originally.

Glad to see the Tigers stay on the schedule in some capacity. Always enjoyed playing T High.

Just as I figured. Lee and JT name won't be at midfield. I knew Tisd was somewhat smart. They knew the name change of Lee would not die down. The field is not done but they do have the Rose at midfield. 

3 hours ago, VonG said:

Just as I figured. Lee and JT name won't be at midfield. I knew Tisd was somewhat smart. They knew the name change of Lee would not die down. The field is not done but they do have the Rose at midfield. 

What are they going to do?

On 6/15/2020 at 7:43 PM, Mavchamp said:

I have full confidence in our staff.  And the number of returning starters is encouraging. 

But like you.... top 20 is a reach until I know we are settled on QB. 

Mav, what are your thoughts on Jake Grediel staying in Marshall long term, say 5-6 more years.  Just asking, because he is working hard to build and improve facilities and such there in Marshall.

10 hours ago, VonG said:

I kinda feel like they thought the name change issue would stop when they included JT to the mix.  They didn't know that people were willing to change both.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

I kinda feel like they thought the name change issue would stop when they included JT to the mix.  They didn't know that people were willing to change both.

They been having the turf sitting at Rose Stadium even before the name change came up.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Mav, what are your thoughts on Jake Grediel staying in Marshall long term, say 5-6 more years.  Just asking, because he is working hard to build and improve facilities and such there in Marshall.

I’ve learned to stop predicting these sort of things.  

i would like to think he’s building long term.  Grow us into an Aledo, Ennis, Carthage, etc etc.  Thats the dream.  

Hard to say though with 2 classifications above us now.  Division I and 6A have their advantages (and disadvantages). 

MISD is doing everything possible to make this a long term job.  The pay is there.  The athletic facilities will be 5 star across the board in less than a year.

One thing really remains:  consistent annual winning and deep playoff runs and contend for state titles.  

We’ve won 4 district titles in the last 5 years.  Had two region semi-final appearances.  Time to take the next step.

I would love to have someone build a legend here.  Like Gordon Wood. Pete Shotwell.  

But the bright lights of the big city of 6A and their wares draw them out of the piney woods it seems. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

I’ve learned to stop predicting these sort of things.  

i would like to think he’s building long term.  Grow us into an Aledo, Ennis, Carthage, etc etc.  Thats the dream.  

Hard to say though with 2 classifications above us now.  Division I and 6A have their advantages (and disadvantages). 

MISD is doing everything possible to make this a long term job.  The pay is there.  The athletic facilities will be 5 star across the board in less than a year.

One thing really remains:  consistent annual winning and deep playoff runs and contend for state titles.  

We’ve won 4 district titles in the last 5 years.  Had two region semi-final appearances.  Time to take the next step.

I would love to have someone build a legend here.  Like Gordon Wood. Pete Shotwell.  

But the bright lights of the big city of 6A and their wares draw them out of the piney woods it seems. 

If he has a wife, employ her as a high paid consultant or school job and he won't go anywhere....

On 7/24/2020 at 10:14 AM, nacdragon07 said:

Nac’s week 1 is still up in the air, we lost Kilgore idk what Allman is going to do we might only have a 9 game schedule.

Nac has replaced Kilgore with Greenville, game will be at Dragon Stadium September 25th

Nac updated schedule

Week 1-September 25th-Greenville

Week 2-October 2nd-@Lufkin

Week 3-October 9th-John Tyler

Week 4-October 16th-BYE

Week 5-October 23rd-Whitehouse

Week 6-October 30th-@Pine Tree

Week 7-November 6th-@Mt Pleasant

Week 8-November 13th-Jacksonville

Week 9-November 20th-@Hallsville

Week 10-November 27th-Texas High

Week 11-December 4th-@Marshall

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Nac has replaced Kilgore with Greenville, game will be at Dragon Stadium September 25th

Nac updated schedule

Week 1-September 25th-Greenville

Week 2-October 2nd-@Lufkin

Week 3-October 9th-John Tyler

Week 4-October 16th-BYE

Week 5-October 23rd-Whitehouse

Week 6-October 30th-@Pine Tree

Week 7-November 6th-@Mt Pleasant

Week 8-November 13th-Jacksonville

Week 9-November 20th-@Hallsville

Week 10-November 27th-Texas High

Week 11-December 4th-@Marshall

How is Nac football looking this season?

23 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

How is Nac football looking this season?

Top 2 running backs returning, we have position battle at QB between last years back up and senior starting safety and the little brother(Junior) of last years starter. I think the senior will win the job, he has done a lot of winning in Middle school and when his group were all freshman. We have a Jones brother who should start at safety this year and one that will be a freshman. 

Most predictions I have seen have us finishing 5th, so we should compete for the 4th playoff spot. Turnovers just killed us last year, so fixing that would have changed the outcome to 4-5 games last year. It wasn't just the fact that we turned it over it was when!! 

Our freshman team is going to be STACKED!!! One of the middle schools had a great 8th grade team last year and the top players from the other middle school should mix well for a very good fish squad. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Top 2 running backs returning, we have position battle at QB between last years back up and senior starting safety and the little brother(Junior) of last years starter. I think the senior will win the job, he has done a lot of winning in Middle school and when his group were all freshman. We have a Jones brother who should start at safety this year and one that will be a freshman. 

Most predictions I have seen have us finishing 5th, so we should compete for the 4th playoff spot. Turnovers just killed us last year, so fixing that would have changed the outcome to 4-5 games last year. It wasn't just the fact that we turned it over it was when!! 

Our freshman team is going to be STACKED!!! One of the middle schools had a great 8th grade team last year and the top players from the other middle school should mix well for a very good fish squad. 

Nac had a good freshman group 3 years ago but it didn't materialize like I thought it would. I'm going to try and make it when JT goes down there this season.