2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

1 minute ago, Nacwagons said:

Well I haven't seen them all play so I went with previous matchups to make my picks. I also used the opinions of ones that have been to an LP game this year. 

Well people are used to seeing Lufkin beat people by 30+. So naturally, we look bad. Which we are compared to our usual 9-1 teams we field. However, I thought we made some progress from 2-3 weeks ago last week against the best team in the district. Porter isn’t as good as magnolia. But if the youth and mistakes follow us down to porter tomorrow, I’m sure it’ll be a struggle. If we put together as good a game as last week, we win. 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Well people are used to seeing Lufkin beat people by 30+. So naturally, we look bad. Which we are compared to our usual 9-1 teams we field. However, I thought we made some progress from 2-3 weeks ago last week against the best team in the district. Porter isn’t as good as magnolia. But if the youth and mistakes follow us down to porter tomorrow, I’m sure it’ll be a struggle. If we put together as good a game as last week, we win. 

Which is what I think is crazy when I hear people in town talk about replacing Quick. He has helped extend the 22 year playoff streak. Gone multiple rounds deep in a lot of those years, their loses have come to some really good teams. There are a lot of programs in the state that would kill to have that much success.

27 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Which is what I think is crazy when I hear people in town talk about replacing Quick. He has helped extend the 22 year playoff streak. Gone multiple rounds deep in a lot of those years, their loses have come to some really good teams. There are a lot of programs in the state that would kill to have that much success.

True. Just shows you how spoilt the fan base is. A lot of it though comes down to watching teams with less talent succeed more than you. And that’s on coaching. There’s no doubt they aren’t the worst coaching staff you’ll find, but I think they’ve gotten complacent here since they’ve been here so long. Sometimes you just need new faces. I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this year, since they seem to have a plan in the long run by playing 10 sophomores, but another season of this and it should be adios. Heck, losing to Nac in 2013 & 2014 should’ve been enough.

39 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

It’s not that crazy when you have high expectations, which is what Outlaw wanted at one time here. When you’ve never won anything and miss the playoffs basically every year like the folks in Nac...of course it may seem crazy, but definitely not for us. We expect more and want more. 

We’ve gone multiple rounds i believe three times in the 8 years he has been the HC. Maybe by Nacogdoches standards that’s considered “a lot”....but definitely not for me. I wouldn’t say coaching was the main reason for that success in the playoffs either. But I’m not going to take credit away from the man. I believe he’s a good coach. It’s just....we expect more, especially with the 2018-2019 teams, after the year we had in 2017 and dropping to 5A. Losing the 28 point lead in 2014 to a rival in the playoffs was on the coaching staff too, not just the players. Quick is also a defensive minded coach. But......let’s be honest. The defenses under him have mostly struggled. I don’t even have to mention the other seasons. Giving up 70 to Legacy in the first game this season when they didn’t even have a freakin scrimmage and having those people up there in Tyler thinking they actually had a good team. Really? But I’m the crazy one. 

Also....let’s talk about Coach Green. Why that man is still allowed to call plays I’ll never understand. He shouldn’t even be allowed to do it for our 7 on 7 squad. Talent is the main reason we have put up so many points over the years, not that basic scheme we’ve been running since he became OC about 16 seasons ago. Say what you want, but it’s true. And you can call me crazy all you want. But i don’t like the direction that our football program is headed right now and if we continue to struggle like this, then we should make a change. Period

58 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

True. Just shows you how spoilt the fan base is. A lot of it though comes down to watching teams with less talent succeed more than you. And that’s on coaching. There’s no doubt they aren’t the worst coaching staff you’ll find, but I think they’ve gotten complacent here since they’ve been here so long. Sometimes you just need new faces. I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this year, since they seem to have a plan in the long run by playing 10 sophomores, but another season of this and it should be adios. Heck, losing to Nac in 2013 & 2014 should’ve been enough.

I get the split and if he hadn't just taken over the program in 2013 & 2014 the losses to Nac would have been a bigger deal maybe, I wonder if him making the playoffs those years saved him.

Outlaw was 72-27 in his first 9 years-with a great run from 2001-2006 some really great teams

Quick is 64-30 in his first 9 years. 2017 & 2018 were his two best.

Again a lot of places would kill for just half of that success, and it doesn't have anything to do with what Nac does or doesn't do.

8 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Someone tell me what exactly the zone concept is, I have seen this a few times and I am not sure what it means.

This is from KSST, a Sulphur Springs radio station. It explains the zones pretty well.    https://www.ksstradio.com/2020/10/wildcats-football-coach-greg-owens-discusses-new-zone-competition-concept-in-district/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

It’s not that crazy when you have high expectations, which is what Outlaw wanted at one time here. When you’ve never won anything and miss the playoffs basically every year like the folks in Nac...of course it may seem crazy, but definitely not for us. We expect more and want more. 

We’ve gone multiple rounds i believe three times in the 8 years he has been the HC. Maybe by Nacogdoches standards that’s considered “a lot”....but definitely not for me. I wouldn’t say coaching was the main reason for that success in the playoffs either. But I’m not going to take credit away from the man. I believe he’s a good coach. It’s just....we expect more, especially with the 2018-2019 teams, after the year we had in 2017 and dropping to 5A. Losing the 28 point lead in 2014 to a rival in the playoffs was on the coaching staff too, not just the players. Quick is also a defensive minded coach. But......let’s be honest. The defenses under him have mostly struggled. I don’t even have to mention the other seasons. Giving up 70 to Legacy in the first game this season when they didn’t even have a freakin scrimmage and having those people up there in Tyler thinking they actually had a good team. Really? But I’m the crazy one. 

Also....let’s talk about Coach Green. Why that man is still allowed to call plays I’ll never understand. He shouldn’t even be allowed to do it for our 7 on 7 squad. Talent is the main reason we have put up so many points over the years, not that basic scheme we’ve been running since he became OC about 16 seasons ago. Say what you want, but it’s true. And you can call me crazy all you want. But i don’t like the direction that our football program is headed right now and if we continue to struggle like this, then we should make a change. Period

007 says the things I don’t feel like typing lol Well said bro 

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

I get the split and if he hadn't just taken over the program in 2013 & 2014 the losses to Nac would have been a bigger deal maybe, I wonder if him making the playoffs those years saved him.

Outlaw was 72-27 in his first 9 years-with a great run from 2001-2006 some really great teams

Quick is 64-30 in his first 9 years. 2017 & 2018 were his two best.

Again a lot of places would kill for just half of that success, and it doesn't have anything to do with what Nac does or doesn't do.

64-30 with only 5 playoff wins is horrible 

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

64-30 with only 5 playoff wins is horrible 

The reality is that in East Texas, maybe Longview produces the same type and amount of talent as Lufkin per capita....For Lufkin to have that record with that talent with that few playoff wins is inexcusable...I guarantee that if the school board makes the change and opens it up, they will pull top coaching talent from across the state...THERE IS NOT EXCUSE FOR THE STATE OF LUFKIN FOOTBALL...

2 hours ago, kingwolf said:

The reality is that in East Texas, maybe Longview produces the same type and amount of talent as Lufkin per capita....For Lufkin to have that record with that talent with that few playoff wins is inexcusable...I guarantee that if the school board makes the change and opens it up, they will pull top coaching talent from across the state...THERE IS NOT EXCUSE FOR THE STATE OF LUFKIN FOOTBALL...

Thank you....but a Nac fan is calling it crazy. Let Longview have the same record in the playoffs the last three seasons.........Lobo fans would be burning stuff down. So why shouldn’t we feel something similar about our program?? Really Don’t get it.

10 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Lufkin has advanced past 2nd round what...twice since 2006?

No excuse for that. Terrible coaching staff.

If they miss playoffs this year and still keep Quick....yikes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

Thank you....but a Nac fan is calling it crazy. Let Longview have the same record in the playoffs the last three seasons.........Lobo fans would be burning stuff down. So why shouldn’t we feel something similar about our program?? Really Don’t get it.

Longview would be winless right now with Lufkin staff. I'm convinced.

And definitely wouldnt have a title among other deep runs we've had.

I've seen people try to pin Lufkin's bad play this year on the sophomores they have, I know experience plays a part in success but Longview is playing many sophomores as well and look at their record. Look at what Longview did to the very same Legacy team that put 70 on Lufkin.

2 sophomore QBs, our best 3 WRs are all sophomores...2 sophomores on the OL and one of them starts full time at RT. Another sophomore in rotation at TE. 2 more sophomores contributing in Longview's secondary.

9 hours ago, Pack007 said:

What does who I root for have anything to do with it?? Its where I live not where I am from. I root for the school where I live just like I did when I lived in Mesquite, Carthage and El Campo. Those programs have been successful as well so my opinion is not based on what Nac. does or doesn't do. 

In high school football you are not guaranteed anything at all, it is so week to week and year to year. Expecting a state run every year because of past success is a difficult expectation. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ANTI said:

Longview would be winless right now with Lufkin staff. I'm convinced.

Marshall would've found a way to lose against us if we had Quick and company, so I'd go with 1-3. But agreed with everything else you said!

39 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Playing devils advocate but if outlaw was still with us with the record Lufkin was has now would people be calling for his removal ?

Lufkin was on the decline even in Outlaw's final years, and who knows how much longer he would've continued to coach...he would've been 67 this season.

But they definitely would've had a better record than what Quick has produced.

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

In high school football you are not guaranteed anything at all, it is so week to week and year to year. Expecting a state run every year because of past success is a difficult expectation. 

I don't think they expect a state title every year....but they do expect to beat teams that they are clearly better than come playoff time.

A hiccup, trip up, choke job or whatever you want to call it is expected every now and then but to lose almost every year in the 1st round of the playoffs? 

Plus, Quick needing the boot is a lot deeper than playoff runs.

He's supposed to be a defensive minded coach but they havent had one special defense since he became HC. He doesnt make adjustments over the course of a game...which is part of the reason Longview made that comeback in bi-district vs Lufkin in 2014. He had no answer for the bootleg and King ate em up.

And I could write a noval on how basic that offensive scheme is. Green had success in the past but that was only because he had a Coutee, Ralph Thomas, Dez Bryant or JaBryce Taylor to bail him out. Now, this year, they took a page out of the Surratt/King note book by moving to an I/One back Ace look. But it doesn't work very well because they can't coach up an OL. Not to mentiom the play calling is still vanilla.

3 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

What does who I root for have anything to do with it?? Its where I live not where I am from. I root for the school where I live just like I did when I lived in Mesquite, Carthage and El Campo. Those programs have been successful as well so my opinion is not based on what Nac. does or doesn't do. 

Who said anything about expecting a state run every year? And you’re used to watching mediocre football and (based on your own post) have the belief that we should be thankful for what we have. Uhhh...no. We go to the games and see what’s happening. We also know the talent level (not really talking about this season). The Pack should be doing better than losing in the first round basically every year.  But again....you believe that going to the second round 3 times in 8 years is “a lot”.....so yea. You clearly don’t understand. 

2 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Playing devils advocate but if outlaw was still with us with the record Lufkin was has now would people be calling for his removal ?

People were asking for him to step down too. I’m sure lobo fans like 07 remember when the Lp forum had to be shutdown after that Klein forest lost in Huntsville in the first round. Wide had to be banned. The other losses, including his last game against Westfield.....people on there were basically saying the same thing. It’s time to retire or in the next few seasons. But we definitely weren’t giving up 70 points to anyone under coach Outlaw, especially to freakin Lee, legacy or whatever. I always felt confident going into a game with him as coach too. Things were different, but it was clearly time for him to step down too based on those early playoff losses. We made it out of the first round twice over his last six seasons. Definitely time for it....but I guess in certain places that’s considered a lot...

• Like 1

Porter Freshman and JV won last night over Lufkin...

Porter is making silly mistakes to keep them out of games. New Caney is not good this year and Porter should have won, but costly and timely turnovers are the different. New Caney also lost to College Station 49-7 last night. College Station beat Porter 24-14.

As for tonight? I feel like Porter rights the ship. It will be a tough one for sure, but I think Porter being at home will be the difference maker here...That said, the loser of this one can pack it up for the season...MUST win for any type of playoff hopes

2 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Wow.

I know Porter has a bit of a stink on them from the Reno-era, but there is talent there and the program development has been huge since Holley took over. Last year they got a win over Port Arthur Memorial and a dang good Ft. Bend Hightower team. Yeah, they are snake bit against New Caney, but they have progressively gotten better each year against everyone else. 

Lufkin is still Lufkin. They are always going to trot out some tremendous athletes and talented players. Definitely won't be an easy win for the Spartans...