Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread


Recommended Posts

Doesn’t look like Nac or Hallsville will have any make up games this week, which means everyone in 9-5A will be off. 

The ones that count start next week!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Longview knocks off Pine Tree, 6-4. 21-6 on the season. Seconded highest win total in the last 52 years for Lobo baseball. 

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Doesn’t look like Nac or Hallsville will have any make up games this week, which means everyone in 9-5A will be off. 

The ones that count start next week!  

Nac JV and Freshman will Travel to Texas High this week, other wise they wouldn't play since the varsity matchup is thanksgiving week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

It sure is a shame Lufkin and Nac couldn’t play each other. I’m willing to bet it would’ve been one heck of a game this year lol 

LP will right the ship.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Idk fellas it’s pretty ugly around here lol the youth on defense is killing us. It’s expected for them to struggle, but the offense has picked a bad year to be inconsistent. Scott green is as bad as I’ve ever seen him as far as play calling goes. UGLY 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Longview Vs. Beaumont Westbrook- Longview

Tyler Legacy Vs. Pulaski Academy (Ark)-  IMHO... the Red Raiders were headed to their second straight loss with Allen, but now I think they get a comfortable win.

Magnolia Vs. Lufkin*-  I Keep going back and fourth on this one.  Lufkin winning wouldn't shock me... but neither would Magnolia winning.  LP seems to have some injury troubles and some defensive woes.  Going with Magnolia.... hoping the Panthers prove me wrong.

Greenville Vs. Ennis*- Ennis..... by a lot.

Highland Park Vs. Rockwall- Rockwall's offense has been lighting it up.... but their defense is suspect.  HP is HP.... not much more to say.  Going with the Yellowjackets in a barnburner.

Sulphur Springs Vs. Crandall*- Crandall wins by a couple of scores.

Corsicana Vs. Royse City*- Going with Corsicana.....but not excited about it.

North Forney Vs. Forney*- North Forney beats up on older brother.

McKinney North Vs. Rockwall Heath- Heath has scored 72, 57, and 39 points in their three games.... and North has some defensive issues.  Hawks should win....but North will get some points too.

Tyler Vs. Mesquite Horn-  Tough pick.  Tyler is struggling to find their offensive identity.  Horn has been inconsistent.  This could go either way IMHO.  The week off could hurt the Lions, while Horn has been consistent on their schedule.  Taking Horn in a close one.


Sherman Vs. McKinney- I'm not sure how you come back from a 62-0 loss to Saginaw.... McKinney has played well enough.  I'll take the Lions.

Magnolia West Vs. Cleveland*- West by as many as they want.  Cleveland can't get off the struggle bus.

Waller Vs. Caney Creek*-  Neither of them are doing much to impress.  But I'm going to take Waller

Porter Vs. College Station*- College Station with ease.

New Caney- Bye.  I'm interested to see how NC does the remainder of the season after out close game with them.  They have some athletes.... and easily could have won the game between us.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately we wont know how the matchup would have gone. I think the Nac/Tyler game was going to be closer than it has been recently. Not sure how we would have matched up with LP, but if the Lufkin people are saying their defense is the problem then it would have been a better game than any have been since 2013-2014. Nac's defense has been good except for the 6 minute stretch in the second quarter this last Friday. Special teams actually cost them 14 of the 28 straight points rudder scored at the end of the 2nd qtr. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still trying to gague everyone in 9-5A.  It's tough, IMHO.

Texas High is off to a 3-0 start.... and they have looked impressive thus far.  They are making it look easy. Defensively they are stingy... and offensively it sounds like they found their man at QB.  The team to beat IMHO.

WH is 3-0... but their schedule has been against less competition than I think they will see in 9-5A.  Hard to tell.... the Corsi win raises my eyebrows a little, but the Tigers may be rebuilding in 2020.  Just not sure about WH just yet.

PT is 2-0-1 and also has played some questionable competition.... still giving up a lot on defense.  No question they are going to get some points... but what about when they play a better defense?  And bigger question... will THEY play defense in 2020?

Marshall looked horrible Vs. you know who; beat a McKinney North team handily, and beat a New Caney team in a barnburner; both are predicted playoff contenders....but only time will tell.  Not too high... or too low on the Mavs right now.  But I'm happy with where we are.  I think we're a contender.

Nacogdoches- we just haven't seen enough of them to know much.  They blew out a weak team... then got blown out by Rudder, which isn't a great team.  Nac needs some more snaps before we can know who they are and what they bring to the table.

Mount Pleasant-  They were off to a fantastic start... but it looks like things fell apart last week... in a game I honestly thought they would win comfortably.  Hard to know which MP team is the one we will see in district play.  

Hallsville- Like Nac.... Hallsville just hasn't had enough snaps.  And that's not good for a team that was looking to rebuild... and learn new systems for a new coach.  I'm thinking this is going to be a tough season for the Bobcats.......

Jacksonville-  Their struggles have shocked me TBH... and the game on Saturday wasn't as close as the score showed.  Gonna be another tough year for the indians it appears.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I'm still trying to gague everyone in 9-5A.  It's tough, IMHO.

Texas High is off to a 3-0 start.... and they have looked impressive thus far.  They are making it look easy. Defensively they are stingy... and offensively it sounds like they found their man at QB.  The team to beat IMHO.

WH is 3-0... but their schedule has been against less competition than I think they will see in 9-5A.  Hard to tell.... the Corsi win raises my eyebrows a little, but the Tigers may be rebuilding in 2020.  Just not sure about WH just yet.

PT is 2-0-1 and also has played some questionable competition.... still giving up a lot on defense.  No question they are going to get some points... but what about when they play a better defense?  And bigger question... will THEY play defense in 2020?

Marshall looked horrible Vs. you know who; beat a McKinney North team handily, and beat a New Caney team in a barnburner; both are predicted playoff contenders....but only time will tell.  Not too high... or too low on the Mavs right now.  But I'm happy with where we are.  I think we're a contender.

Nacogdoches- we just haven't seen enough of them to know much.  They blew out a weak team... then got blown out by Rudder, which isn't a great team.  Nac needs some more snaps before we can know who they are and what they bring to the table.

Mount Pleasant-  They were off to a fantastic start... but it looks like things fell apart last week... in a game I honestly thought they would win comfortably.  Hard to know which MP team is the one we will see in district play.  

Hallsville- Like Nac.... Hallsville just hasn't had enough snaps.  And that's not good for a team that was looking to rebuild... and learn new systems for a new coach.  I'm thinking this is going to be a tough season for the Bobcats.......

Jacksonville-  Their struggles have shocked me TBH... and the game on Saturday wasn't as close as the score showed.  Gonna be another tough year for the indians it appears.  

I personally think Nacs season really comes down to if they can beat WH. The inability to beat Whitehouse has had the Dragons on the outside of the playoff picture for the last 3 years. We blew 4th quarter leads the last 3 years, last year we lost in the last minute of the game. 

I know this is just the first game and there is a lot of the season left but starting 0-1 with a loss to a team that figures to be in the 3rd or 4th spot will set us up to be 5th or 6th again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

I personally think Nacs season really comes down to if they can beat WH. The inability to beat Whitehouse has had the Dragons on the outside of the playoff picture for the last 3 years. We blew 4th quarter leads the last 3 years, last year we lost in the last minute of the game. 

I know this is just the first game and there is a lot of the season left but starting 0-1 with a loss to a team that figures to be in the 3rd or 4th spot will set us up to be 5th or 6th again. 

On the plus side.... the game is in Nac.  I know they have struggled at home of late....BUT....I don't think there's a team in East Texas that gets more home cooking than WH.  Not that I've witnessed at least.

I've heard it from MP fans, PT fans, Jax fans, Nac fans.... and the Mavs experienced it first hand and in all its glory last season.  And I'm just talking about the officiating.  I'm not talking about the extracurriculars that are also widely known and expected from them.

Best of luck to Nac Vs. WH.  I hope ya'll beat the breaks off of them.

I'm just not expecting it.

We are gonna have our hands full with Pine Tree that night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

On the plus side.... the game is in Nac.  I know they have struggled at home of late....BUT....I don't think there's a team in East Texas that gets more home cooking than WH.  Not that I've witnessed at least.

I've heard it from MP fans, PT fans, Jax fans, Nac fans.... and the Mavs experienced it first hand and in all its glory last season.  And I'm just talking about the officiating.  I'm not talking about the extracurriculars that are also widely known and expected from them.

Best of luck to Nac Vs. WH.  I hope ya'll beat the breaks off of them.

I'm just not expecting it.

We are gonna have our hands full with Pine Tree that night.

Whoever wins between Whitehouse and Nac will square off against Mt. Pleasant for the 4 spot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

On the plus side.... the game is in Nac.  I know they have struggled at home of late....BUT....I don't think there's a team in East Texas that gets more home cooking than WH.  Not that I've witnessed at least.

I've heard it from MP fans, PT fans, Jax fans, Nac fans.... and the Mavs experienced it first hand and in all its glory last season.  And I'm just talking about the officiating.  I'm not talking about the extracurriculars that are also widely known and expected from them.

Best of luck to Nac Vs. WH.  I hope ya'll beat the breaks off of them.

I'm just not expecting it.

We are gonna have our hands full with Pine Tree that night.

I agree with them getting home cooking for sure after the fake punt fiasco last year!! Homefield has not been an advantage but our wins the past few years have bene at home. The game will have a different feel for sure with no visiting bands in the stands. 

We are not playing a game this week so we will be taking 2 weeks to prepare for a team. This is prep time we have not had, since our games have been changing the week of the game. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tomlandry said:

Whoever wins between Whitehouse and Nac will square off against Mt. Pleasant for the 4 spot. 

I don't envy whoever gets that #4 spot.

Their reward will likely be a road game to either Huntsville or A&M Consolidated.

Neither sounds fun.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nacwagons said:

I agree with them getting home cooking for sure after the fake punt fiasco last year!! Homefield has not been an advantage but our wins the past few years have bene at home. The game will have a different feel for sure with no visiting bands in the stands. 

We are not playing a game this week so we will be taking 2 weeks to prepare for a team. This is prep time we have not had, since our games have been changing the week of the game. 

 

 

 

Is Whitehouse just well coached or do they have some athletes? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tomlandry said:

Is Whitehouse just well coached or do they have some athletes? 

Definitely has athletes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I'm still trying to gague everyone in 9-5A.  It's tough, IMHO.

Texas High is off to a 3-0 start.... and they have looked impressive thus far.  They are making it look easy. Defensively they are stingy... and offensively it sounds like they found their man at QB.  The team to beat IMHO.

WH is 3-0... but their schedule has been against less competition than I think they will see in 9-5A.  Hard to tell.... the Corsi win raises my eyebrows a little, but the Tigers may be rebuilding in 2020.  Just not sure about WH just yet.

PT is 2-0-1 and also has played some questionable competition.... still giving up a lot on defense.  No question they are going to get some points... but what about when they play a better defense?  And bigger question... will THEY play defense in 2020?

Marshall looked horrible Vs. you know who; beat a McKinney North team handily, and beat a New Caney team in a barnburner; both are predicted playoff contenders....but only time will tell.  Not too high... or too low on the Mavs right now.  But I'm happy with where we are.  I think we're a contender.

Nacogdoches- we just haven't seen enough of them to know much.  They blew out a weak team... then got blown out by Rudder, which isn't a great team.  Nac needs some more snaps before we can know who they are and what they bring to the table.

Mount Pleasant-  They were off to a fantastic start... but it looks like things fell apart last week... in a game I honestly thought they would win comfortably.  Hard to know which MP team is the one we will see in district play.  

Hallsville- Like Nac.... Hallsville just hasn't had enough snaps.  And that's not good for a team that was looking to rebuild... and learn new systems for a new coach.  I'm thinking this is going to be a tough season for the Bobcats.......

Jacksonville-  Their struggles have shocked me TBH... and the game on Saturday wasn't as close as the score showed.  Gonna be another tough year for the indians it appears.  

This is not a rebuilding year for us. We had returning starters back on both sides of the ball. WH just punched us in the mouth. Plain and simple. And with our starting quarterback out 2-3 weeks, its going to be a tough out going into district play this week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I don't envy whoever gets that #4 spot.

Their reward will likely be a road game to either Huntsville or A&M Consolidated.

Neither sounds fun.  

Getting in, is getting in and right now I don't care who we would play if we could start making the playoffs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tomlandry said:

Is Whitehouse just well coached or do they have some athletes? 

IDK, I know I have come into each of the last 3-4 years not seeing anything special from Whitehouse. Even after our losses to them, I was still wondering how in the world they seem to sneak by with wins in some of the district games. I am not using the word "sneak" in an insulting way. They have been finding ways to win games!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I don't envy whoever gets that #4 spot.

Their reward will likely be a road game to either Huntsville or A&M Consolidated.

Neither sounds fun.  

Mavchamp, I enjoy reading your insights.   One of the fascinating things for us Texas High fans is that we are back in an East Texas district after a couple of years matched up with teams from the east side of the Metroplex.   It's good to be back where we belong.   But this is the first time T-High has ever been in Region 3.   In the playoffs our district will match up with teams from just north of Houston.   You mentioned Huntsville and A&M Consolidated.   I see that 4 or 5 teams from that district remain undefeated.   How would you rank the strength of the teams in 10-5A (Div 2)? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hallsville may not win many, if any, games this year but they will be much more competitive than in recent years. The athletes that refused to play under Drennan are back and are contributing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ace said:

Mavchamp, I enjoy reading your insights.   One of the fascinating things for us Texas High fans is that we are back in an East Texas district after a couple of years matched up with teams from the east side of the Metroplex.   It's good to be back where we belong.   But this is the first time T-High has ever been in Region 3.   In the playoffs our district will match up with teams from just north of Houston.   You mentioned Huntsville and A&M Consolidated.   I see that 4 or 5 teams from that district remain undefeated.   How would you rank the strength of the teams in 10-5A (Div 2)? 

Huntsville and A&M consolidated have been outstanding. 

FB Marshall has been a beast too. 

Cant forget Manvel, which I’m not even certain if they are D2 this go around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Huntsville and A&M consolidated have been outstanding. 

FB Marshall has been a beast too. 

Cant forget Manvel, which I’m not even certain if they are D2 this go around. 

Manvel went up to D1 ....10-5A D-1 with the Fort Bend D-1 schools......

Link to post
Share on other sites

All schools in Greenville ISD are being closed through the end of the week for Covid. Greenville vs Ennis might not be happening.

Edit: They have since clarified, they will still allow outdoor activities, so the game is still on.  Such as it is, anyway, we're still playing Ennis.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...