The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

On 12/5/2020 at 10:22 AM, bordertown said:

The one criticism, I have of the Tigers is they have a tendency to play to their “perceived” level of their opponents. If I were Jerry Sanford, I would relive 2019 when a 4th seed traveled to the home stadium of a state ranked team and came home with a win. Stay focused and play like they are playing Ennis.

I disagree with your post.  Sanford needs to stay away from last season's playoff game coming off of a quality win against Lufkin.  Against Lufkin, that was a tough game but Sanford and Sons Coaching Company completely missed the boat on the offense in the last playoff game.  They decided to exclusively run the ball instead of passing the ball like they were forced to do against Lufkin. Remember now, Texas High lost their running back against Lufkin but they would have had to throw the ball even if they had had him.  In the next game, with a backup running back, the Tigers rarely threw the ball and when they did their division one wide receiver produced a touchdown.  IMHO, it was not the players that played down to the competition, it was the coaching that coached down to the competition or just misjudged the competition.  Texas High did that all of last season for the most part.  Sanford and company have done a better job this year of being more aggressive throwing the ball around this year and honing a productive offense overall this season.  We have not been really tested this year so this game has an air of mystery for me.  It will come down to the offensive line protecting the qb and opening up running lanes and the secondary playing a solid game on defense.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Longview knocks off Pine Tree, 6-4. 21-6 on the season. Seconded highest win total in the last 52 years for Lobo baseball. 

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Posted Images

On 12/5/2020 at 5:41 PM, Mavchamp said:

My dislike is less about that....  it’s been a long time.  It ranks with Philadelphia fans throwing things at Santa.  The legend will live forever.

My disdain is more about the culture. It’s been witnessed by several schools in several sports.  

Ask Lobfan what he witnessed at a volleyball playoff with them. Ask JT about their basketball experiences. Ask Lufkin about their baseball experience. Marshall with football.  Nac reported the same. 

I will say... I didn’t see any of that this season.

So Yeah. 

Go THS!  Go PT!  Go Nac!!!! 

LOL🤣

1 hour ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

I disagree with your post.  Sanford needs to stay away from last season's playoff game coming off of a quality win against Lufkin.  Against Lufkin, that was a tough game but Sanford and Sons Coaching Company completely missed the boat on the offense in the last playoff game.  They decided to exclusively run the ball instead of passing the ball like they were forced to do against Lufkin. Remember now, Texas High lost their running back against Lufkin but they would have had to throw the ball even if they had had him.  In the next game, with a backup running back, the Tigers rarely threw the ball and when they did their division one wide receiver produced a touchdown.  IMHO, it was not the players that played down to the competition, it was the coaching that coached down to the competition or just misjudged the competition.  Texas High did that all of last season for the most part.  Sanford and company have done a better job this year of being more aggressive throwing the ball around this year and honing a productive offense overall this season.  We have not been really tested this year so this game has an air of mystery for me.  It will come down to the offensive line protecting the qb and opening up running lanes and the secondary playing a solid game on defense.

You should have been a coach. You would have set records. First coach to never win a game.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

You totally missed my point!

3 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

smh

That game against independence was played in the rain,  running the ball was the best option. They had a D1 qb that could play he  picked up a 4th and 8 after half to go up 21-17 and the tables turned next position was a 3 and out and then they returned the punt inside the 15.....cellars got thigh out of a lot of trouble running the ball but Lufkin and west mesquite are prob the only two games when he truly made some plays through the air. he had a D1 guy out wide that made some big time plays against Lufkin. this staff has proven itself. They will return 6 on offense and 6 on defense next year, that’s not including the 3 players that moved in from Le earlier this year one with a D1 offer already. I think thigh will be just fine.

11 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

I hate to be "that guy" on the message board, but the coach of Texas High is Gerry Stanford (as in Stanford University), not Jerry Sanford or Fred Sanford of Sanford and Sons.  (I have gotten pretty good at resisting the temptation to always correct references to "Grimm Stadium" when "Grim Stadium" was intended).  

8 minutes ago, Ace said:

I hate to be "that guy" on the message board, but the coach of Texas High is Gerry Stanford (as in Stanford University), not Jerry Sanford or Fred Sanford of Sanford and Sons.  (I have gotten pretty good at resisting the temptation to always correct references to "Grimm Stadium" when "Grim Stadium" was intended).  

LOL!! That's funny.

With respect to names, when the Tomato Bowl bond issue passed in 2017 and it was renovated, the JISD asked everyone in the media to stop calling it The Tomato Bowl . . . it is now Historic Tomato Bowl . . . not THE Historic Tomato Bowl, or THE Tomato Bowl . . . it is now, "Welcome to Historic Tomato Bowl!"

Just for the record . . .

2 hours ago, Matt said:

LOL!! That's funny.

With respect to names, when the Tomato Bowl bond issue passed in 2017 and it was renovated, the JISD asked everyone in the media to stop calling it The Tomato Bowl . . . it is now Historic Tomato Bowl . . . not THE Historic Tomato Bowl, or THE Tomato Bowl . . . it is now, "Welcome to Historic Tomato Bowl!"

Ironically Nac’s Varsity hasn’t been to Jax since the renovation.

2 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Yup, but we did play the last game at "The Tomato Bowl"

Yes, we call that 2017 game vs. Nac, "The Last Pass on the Grass."

Good luck this week against Huntsville!! Go Dragons!

On 12/8/2020 at 9:52 AM, Ace said:

Cool off dude, I did not intentionally disrespect his name.

On 12/8/2020 at 1:25 AM, RonLigma said:

smh

That game against independence was played in the rain,  running the ball was the best option. They had a D1 qb that could play he  picked up a 4th and 8 after half to go up 21-17 and the tables turned next position was a 3 and out and then they returned the punt inside the 15.....cellars got thigh out of a lot of trouble running the ball but Lufkin and west mesquite are prob the only two games when he truly made some plays through the air. he had a D1 guy out wide that made some big time plays against Lufkin. this staff has proven itself. They will return 6 on offense and 6 on defense next year, that’s not including the 3 players that moved in from Le earlier this year one with a D1 offer already. I think thigh will be just fine.

You have a right to your opinion.  I watched just about all of their games and IMHO, the offensive philosophy was spotty all season long.  It is a lot better this season.

On 12/8/2020 at 10:00 AM, Matt said:

LOL!! That's funny.

You would be surprised how many times the coach's name has been spoken incorrectly.  I am not alone in that regard.

• Like 1
On 12/7/2020 at 11:18 PM, Texlov said:

You should have been a coach. You would have set records. First coach to never win a game.

Don't be jealous of me because I am correct in my analysis.  I am looking for an unenlightened person like you to take under my guidance to show the path to true enlightenment to.  I'm the greatest that IS and EVER was!

36 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Cool off dude, I did not intentionally disrespect his name.

Meant in good fun.   I knew you were not offering disrespect in any way.  In fact, I think you were responding to an earlier post that had his name wrong.  

At the end of my post, I switched gears and commented that I have to resist the temptation to be a jerk and try to correct every post that gets the name of Texas High's Stadium wrong.   Through the years, even Texas High posters have gotten the stadium name wrong by referring to is as Grimm rather than Grim.   (Officially changed a few years ago from Grim Stadium to Tiger Stadium at Grim Park).     Al Hanna, the long-time voice of the Tigers would explain it this way:  It's Grim, as in Grim Reaper, not "Grimm" as in "Grimms Fairy Tales".  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ace said:

Meant in good fun.   I knew you were not offering disrespect in any way.  In fact, I think you were responding to an earlier post that had his name wrong.  

At the end of my post, I switched gears and commented that I have to resist the temptation to be a jerk and try to correct every post that gets the name of Texas High's Stadium wrong.   Through the years, even Texas High posters have gotten the stadium name wrong by referring to is as Grimm rather than Grim.   (Officially changed a few years ago from Grim Stadium to Tiger Stadium at Grim Park).     Al Hanna, the long-time voice of the Tigers would explain it this way:  It's Grim, as in Grim Reaper, not "Grimm" as in "Grimms Fairy Tales".  

Ha, that's a great way to differentiate the spelling!

Question: When Jacksonville played Texas High in 2009 at SFA in bi-district, I met the radio play-by-play gentleman for Thigh in the press box. He told me it was like his 48th year of broadcasting . . . or something like that (?) Was that Al Hanna? Is he still around? Do you know how many years he did the Texas Highs games? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matt said:

Question: When Jacksonville played Texas High in 2009 at SFA in bi-district, I met the radio play-by-play gentleman for Thigh in the press box. He told me it was like his 48th year of broadcasting . . . or something like that (?) Was that Al Hanna? Is he still around? Do you know how many years he did the Texas Highs games? Thanks in advance.

He passed away like six years ago. 

21 hours ago, Matt said:

Matt, Eagleborn is correct.   Al Hanna died about six years ago.   He started broadcasting Tiger games in the 1960s and continued for about 50 years.    When the stadium was upgraded several years ago and a state of the art press box was constructed, the press box was named the Al Hanna Press Box.   Wisely, the school district chose to honor him in that way before he died.   He got to broadcast games from the press box bearing his name.  What a great guy.   Still to this day I will find myself blurting out some quirky Al Hanna-ism when something happens during a game.  When an obvious penalty occurred and every official on the field would throw their flags, Al would say - "there's so much yellow cloth on the field, it looks like a whirlwind hit a quilting bee out there".   They don't make them like Al anymore.

One of the great things about East Texas football is that each town and school has colorful, devoted fans and radio guys that have been around for decades.   They are walking encyclopedias when it come to the history of their teams and they stick with their teams 100% through good years and lean years alike.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Ace said:

Matt, Eagleborn is correct.   Al Hanna died about six years ago.   He started broadcasting Tiger games in the 1960s and continued for about 50 years.    When the stadium was upgraded several years ago and a state of the art press box was constructed, the press box was named the Al Hanna Press Box.   Wisely, the school district chose to honor him in that way before he died.   He got to broadcast games from the press box bearing his name.  What a great guy.   Still to this day I will find myself blurting out some quirky Al Hanna-ism when something happens during a game.  When an obvious penalty occurred and every official on the field would throw their flags, Al would say - "there's so much yellow on the field, it looks like a whirlwind hit a quilting bee out there".   They don't make them like Al anymore.

One of the great things about East Texas football is that each town and school has colorful, devoted fans and radio guys that have been around for decades.   They are walking encyclopedias when it come to the history of their teams and they stick with their teams 100% through good years and lean years alike.  

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. We had a great conversation. I had been broadcasting Jax games 27 years at that time. I just finished year 39.... started in 1982 when I was 22. I know I’m no where near as witty as Al Hanna was. What a great legacy thanks, for sharing. 

• Like 1

I saw a post on another site that said that PNG exposed FB Marshall as being the product of a weak schedule.   I was really surprised that PNG almost pulled off the huge upset.

Crosby got up on Willowridge 28-0 in the first quarter and coasted to a huge win.   The Cougars might be a real challenge for the winner of the Texas High - Lake Creek game.