2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

19 hours ago, ANTI said:

Hale gives Longview fans Bobby Taylor vibes, already has major SEC offers coming in and the crazy thing is, he may be even better on the track and basketball court. You don't play varsity ball as a freshman at Longview but Hale did and was honestly the best WR on the team... 

Co-sign. I'm on record as wanting Hale to have gotten get more touches and targets last season, but there's absolutely no excuse for him to NOT be our primary target this season.

Kid is the truth

19 hours ago, ANTI said:

...and 2023 QB Landyn Grant (6'2 180) will get three years together as both are slated to start for Longview this fall. Grant is very good. Tall lefty who throws a beautiful ball and trains a ton.

As impressive as Grant's natural attributes are, it's this aspect that makes me the most excited for his future. The kid's got the dog in him. That can't be taught. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

no doubt that scouts may have a bias about size, but size is an important factor in most sports. 

It is. I was just saying that it does not make him the best just because he has offers. Good thing about the kid is that he does have the skill set that coexist with his size.

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

no doubt that scouts may have a bias about size, but size is an important factor in most sports. 

Outside of maybe basketball to a certain extent, I really dont care about size.

I mean typically, I'm not really a fan of 5'6 and below QBs and CBs but if someone can play, they can play. I don't think genetics, something a kid cant control, should get in the way of exposure if theyre good.

11 hours ago, ANTI said:

What hes saying is...

You have two players. One is 5'7, the other is 6'1. Both are talented, but the 5'7 is more talented. But because the other had better luck with genetics being 6'1, he'll get all the attention.

Its dumb but how recruiting goes sadly. I see it all the time in the Longview program.

I didn’t say that it isn’t like that. I said being big and tall doesn’t mean D1 either.

3 hours ago, LOL said:

Co-sign. I'm on record as wanting Hale to have gotten get more touches and targets last season, but there's absolutely no excuse for him to NOT be our primary target this season.

Kid is the truth.

I think almost every single Longview fan that was not on the coaching staff, believe Hale should've gotten more touches last season.

It was evident in the few that he got that he was the best receiver we had.

If he isn't guy #1 this year, welp...we're not going very far IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Great coach.

Sounds like a fantastic hire. 

Coming from Conroe ISD where he was a safeties coach. 

Also coached at Lamar Consolidated. 

I think he was in Jacksonville back in the day too. 

He’s an East Texas guy.... so that’s appealing.  Tatum graduate. Longview native

Welcome to Marshall, Coach! 

On 5/30/2020 at 7:41 PM, Mavchamp said:

Sounds like a fantastic hire. 

Coming from Conroe ISD where he was a safeties coach. 

Also coached at Lamar Consolidated. 

I think he was in Jacksonville back in the day too. 

He’s an East Texas guy.... so that’s appealing.  Tatum graduate. Longview native

Welcome to Marshall, Coach! 

Yep! Chase was here in JVille, great coach. 

I see where Bobby Taylor Jr. is a 5 star Safety recruit for the Katy Tigers for 2022.  One Lobo that didn't come back home.  Just like Reggie McNeal's son, is a senior playing at Spring DeKaney. Not back in Lufkin.  Jorvorskie Lane has a son in the LMS who will be a freshman, he will most likely stick with baseball. Does not have the size of his father.  

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I see where Bobby Taylor Jr. is a 5 star Safety recruit for the Katy Tigers for 2022.  One Lobo that didn't come back home.  

Covid haulted alot of stuff and we have a long summer ahead of us. All I'll say about that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I see where Bobby Taylor Jr. is a 5 star Safety recruit for the Katy Tigers for 2022.  One Lobo that didn't come back home.  Just like Reggie McNeal's son, is a senior playing at Spring DeKaney. Not back in Lufkin.  Jorvorskie Lane has a son in the LMS who will be a freshman, he will most likely stick with baseball. Does not have the size of his father.  

Is McNeal’s boy any good ?

13 hours ago, ANTI said:

Covid haulted alot of stuff and we have a long summer ahead of us. All I'll say about that.

I would never presume to tell another father what's best for his child's future...   BUT...

Were Bobby Jr. to find his way into the Lobo Nation, it would be a *national* story, and something that would draw a LOT of recruiting attention.

Just sayin.     ;)  

3 hours ago, LOL said:

I would never presume to tell another father what's best for his child's future...   BUT...

Were Bobby Jr. to find his way into the Lobo Nation, it would be a *national* story, and something that would draw a LOT of recruiting attention.

Just sayin.     ;)  

Well, you can't get much better than Katy for national exposure.  Bobby Jr. is staying there,  no gain at all to switch to Longview, except that his Dad played there.  His Father is in the real estate business in the Houston area with the KALU Group.  He can make big $$$ there.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Well, you can't get much better than Katy for national exposure.  Bobby Jr. is staying there,  no gain at all to switch to Longview, except that his Dad played there.  His Father is in the real estate business in the Houston area with the KALU Group.  He can make big $$$ there.  

Don't disagree with anything you said...

...just that IF he were to come to Longview, it would be a national story.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

He already has his offers so he could go anywhere as he pleases. Would have good chances at winning titles at either school the next few years....and you can make money in real estate living anywhere. Bobby Sr is in Longview more often than you think and is very close to the staff. If you look back, Bobby Sr was the first to congratulate and hug Coach King when LV won it all. Plenty of games I've seen him on the sidelines, specifically in the playoffs.

I knew some things that was in the works right before everything shutdown that I wont dive into here. Dont know if it'll happen now considering everything but, very much possible still. Like I said, long summer ahead of us.

• Like 1

Would be a shame to leave his friends in Katy just to follow in his daddy's HS footsteps.  He is a 5 Star because he is in Katy, not Longview.  Just saying.  You guys are good at pulling the strings to get ex-Lobo players to brings their kids back to Longview from wherever they may be living when HS rolls around..   Wish Lufkin would work harder at doing that, just does not happen often.  We could use the help.

Think he would've been highly sought after regardless of where he went, considering who his pops is. He was getting offers before he got to Katy, when he was at Houston Heights.

You can definitely get plenty exposure in LV. Heck, the Lobos have a 9th grader already getting SEC offers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

good news.  Do you know if the indoor practice facilities are complete?

I doubt it. I was kinda surprised that they are redoing the turf. The 1st turf we had lasted 11 years. So I was thinking the same thing will happen with this turf. I didn't know the turf we got was only good for 8 years. I wonder if they will change the design up a little. 

Work is starting on the covered facility. 

Will be located behind Lady Mav Softball field.

First if it’s kind in Texas.  Third in the nation. 

Pretty exciting stuff happening. 

88FDC39C-6761-4D5F-B415-8D598CFAE127.jpeg

216B2F10-7D9D-44B3-9711-108DCE43FA51.jpeg

988C2230-BA10-4C75-AC1D-CD62F0773DF1.jpeg