The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

25 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

20 years ago, if someone said Tyler boys would finish tied for last and the girls last in this district track meet, they would be looked at as being crazy......…...They have fallen a longggggg way.

Wow!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Why be a douche about it?  Nac doesn’t pick their district.  They compete where they are put... and they dominate.  just say congrats and move on.  Don’t see the point in trying to lessen thei

Longview knocks off Pine Tree, 6-4. 21-6 on the season. Seconded highest win total in the last 52 years for Lobo baseball. 

Posted Images

0-0 at half between Longview and Wakeland. Competitive game. Wakeland definitely has had more chances but both teams with huge saves. Wakeland by far the best team we’ve played this year, no question.

Wakeland wins, 1-0.

Unbelievable season. 

4 hours ago, cotton84 said:

20 years ago, if someone said Tyler boys would finish tied for last and the girls last in this district track meet, they would be looked at as being crazy......…...They have fallen a longggggg way.

My exact thought when I saw the standings.

REGION II SOCCER CHAMPIONSHIP
Frisco Wakeland beat Longview 1-0

-----------------------------------------------------

DISTRICT 15-5A SOFTBALL
Hallsville (8-1) (15-5-1)
Sulphur Springs (8-1), (17-3)
Mount Pleasant (7-3) (17-7)
Texas High (5-4), (11-8)
Marshall (3-6), (9-8-1)
Longview (2-8), (10-9)
Pine Tree (0-9) (1-18)

Game 11
Hallsville beat Longview 2-0
Sulphur Springs beat Mt. Pleasant 4-1
Texas High beat Pine Tree 23-1
Marshall- OFF

Hallsville and Sulphur Springs remained tied for the district lead with just three games remaining after splitting their games in district.  Unless an upset occurs, it appears we could see a district championship tie-breaking game.  MP fell to SS Friday night and are firmly in control with the #3 slot with a 2 game lead over Texarkana, who has a 2 game lead over Marshall.  

Did you know:  Pine Tree has been outscored 52-2 in their last 2 games?

DISTRICT 16-5A SOFTBALL
Huntsville (6-0), (20-3)
Whitehouse (5-1), (11-6-1)
Jacksonville (4-2), (9-11)
Lufkin (2-4), (11-9)
Nacogdoches (1-5), (1-13)
Tyler (0-6), (1-8-2)

Game 6
Huntsville beat Tyler 31-0
Whitehouse beat Nacogdoches 16-1
Jacksonville beat Lufkin 6-5 Monday

The Lady Hornets stomped Tyler to keep their one game lead over Whitehouse, who also had an easy win over Nac.  Jacksonville held off LP to keep themselves in third place  abd Lufkin in fourth  

Did you know...... Tyler has been outscored 62-0 in their last three games?

DISTRICT 15-5A BASEBALL
Hallsville (7-0), (19-4)
Longview (5-3), (16-6-1)
Sulphur Springs (5-3), (9-13)
Texas High (5-3), (11-5-1)
Marshall (3-4), (9-11)
Mount Pleasant (2-6), (7-11)
Pine Tree (0-7), (3-15)

GAME 9
Hallsville beat Longview 7-3
Sulphur Springs beat Mt. Pleasant 10-3
Texas High beat Pine Tree 11-0
Marshall- OFF

Hallsville's win over Longview kept the Bobcats in commanding control of the district with a 2 game lead for the district championship.  Sulphur Springs, Longview, and Texas High are all tied up for third place..... setting up a fantastic finish for the playoff race.  One will be left out in the cold.  

Did you know..... Hallsville is averaging 7.8 RPG while only surrendering 2.5 RPG.

DISTRICT 16-5A BASEBALL

Whitehouse (8-1), (19-4)
Lufkin (7-2), (18-5-1)
Nacogdoches (6-3), (18-6)
Huntsville (5-4), (12-13)
Jacksonville (1-8),  (9-13)
Tyler (0-9), (8-16)

Games 9
Huntsville beat Lufkin 8-7
Nacogdoches beat Tyler 14-0
Whitehouse beat Jacksonville 7-2

Huntsville pulled off a monster upset with their win over Lufkin, dropping the Panthers out of it's first place tie with Whitehouse.  The Wildcats took care of Jacksonville and took sole possession of of first thanks to Huntsville.  Nac made easy work of Tyler to remain just one game behind LP for the #2 slot.  The Hornets are in firm control of the final playoff slot. 

Did you know.... district 16-5A teams play a THREE game series against each opponent instead of the standard two. 

• Like 1

Longview and Sulphur Springs have already met twice. Cats won the first game. Still easily could’ve end up with another playoff meeting to determine who gets second and third of both hold service. Not sure who the Cats have left, Lobos have Mount Pleasant, Texas High, Marshall and Pine Tree remaining on the district slate (play Lindale on Monday).

40 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview and Sulphur Springs have already met twice. Cats won the first game. Still easily could’ve end up with another playoff meeting to determine who gets second and third of both hold service. Not sure who the Cats have left, Lobos have Mount Pleasant, Texas High, Marshall and Pine Tree remaining on the district slate (play Lindale on Monday).

They have Texas High, Marshall, Pine Tree, and Hallsville. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Did you know...... Tyler has been outscored 62-0 in their last three games?

The problem with both Nac and Tyler is they have pitching and ZERO defense behind them. So many fielding errors doesn't give the pitching a chance. 8 and 9 run innings just kills any chance you have and robs your hitters of any leeway at the plate. 

28 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

They have Texas High, Marshall, Pine Tree, and Hallsville. 

That Hallsville game could loom large for sure!

48 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

The problem with both Nac and Tyler is they have pitching and ZERO defense behind them. So many fielding errors doesn't give the pitching a chance. 8 and 9 run innings just kills any chance you have and robs your hitters of any leeway at the plate. 

It’s a little shocking to see Nac struggle in softball.  They are generally pretty strong. 

26 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

It’s a little shocking to see Nac struggle in softball.  They are generally pretty strong. 

It flipped about 5-6 years ago, there was a change in the little league program here. Nac Youth Softball association board was taken over by parents from small towns out and around Nac. They changed the team building rules and schedules to allow those teams to be built and kept together from Tball all the way through high school while the players that live in Nac get shuffled from team to team every year. I wont use the "R" word but the the really good younger players end up leaving Nac ISD in elementary school in favor of some of the smaller schools. 

Girls Softball and Volleyball is where this shows up more than any other sport. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Girls Softball and Volleyball is where this shows up more than any other sport. 

I think most 5A and 6A schools in ETX have a talent drain of a sport or two to a neighboring  school that excels in said sport. 

Marshall’s is definitely baseball and softball.  Our drain on those two sports is divided between a school to the West of us... and to the southeast of us.  Not to name names 😂

• Haha 2
On 4/10/2021 at 10:47 PM, Mavchamp said:

I think most 5A and 6A schools in ETX have a talent drain of a sport or two to a neighboring  school that excels in said sport. 

Marshall’s is definitely baseball and softball.  Our drain on those two sports is divided between a school to the West of us... and to the southeast of us.  Not to name names 😂

They are probably a few more "draining" school than that.

5 hours ago, Valhalla said:

They are probably a few more "draining" school than that.

Not sure I follow. 

I think all East Texas 5A and 6A schools suffer a certain amount of athletic drain of one or two sports to a neighboring schools that excel in the sport the other struggles with. 

Longview Gameday same group from Texarkana or a different group?

Great thing to have though. Interesting if/when UIL shuts door on live streams during football season. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Eagleborn said:

Longview Gameday same group from Texarkana or a different group?

Great thing to have though. Interesting if/when UIL shuts door on live streams during football season. 

Looks like the same group. They have the GAMEDAY LONGVIEW logo right next to a Texarkana one and a Rockwall county one.

Definitely a huge get for Longview. I doubt we'll have live streams this fall, but even replays of football, or even a pre game show that Texarkana has would be amazing. Of course I'm most excited about the other sports getting live games or even taped games, since that's been such a struggle over the years for non football Lobo sports.

Very exciting time to be a Lobo.

• Like 2

Marshall will start spring ball next Monday. 

Red and white game May 14th 

Kids are working.  Love it. 

Jacksonville beat Lufkin tonight in softball 6-5.

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Not sure I follow. 

I think all East Texas 5A and 6A schools suffer a certain amount of athletic drain of one or two sports to a neighboring schools that excel in the sport the other struggles with. 

I assumed you were talking about a school that starts with a C and a H. I was referring to a smaller H that drains baseball/softball as well.

5 hours ago, LOL said:

A little bit more detail here: https://w3.lisd.org/news/article/04122021-gameday.html  🙂👍

Yep, same group, BUT the coverage and marketing is going to be significantly upscaled. No disrespect to Texas High folks, but our plans for Longview Gameday are very ambitious. 

This is a moving target, and all of us are waiting on the UIL to provide some clarity for 2021-22, but we're developing various contingencies that will be adaptable to what the state determines.

Believe me, we're gonna walk right up to the line without crossing it.  ;) 

Still a lotta moving pieces on this, and there's a lot about this I can't say right now, but our plan is to finally give the Lobos the kind of multimedia presence they have deserved for so long.

Yes, pre-game and/or post-game wraps, podcasts and/or interactive livestream events, highlight packages and well-designed image macros for stats and game summaries. Not just football, but all sports. That's not lip service either, our people are hardcore about this. 

If you know someone with certain skillsets (or you are that someone) now would be the time to make inquiries about being a part of this. It's going to be a big deal.

Just putting that out there.  ;) 

That’s good stuff right there. 

• Like 1