2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

4 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Seen where Whitehouse lost a few to one of the recruiting Christian schools in DFW. 

That 2024 QB they got out of TISD was huge though.

For the future anyway.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:55 PM, ANTI said:

What hes saying is...

You have two players. One is 5'7, the other is 6'1. Both are talented, but the 5'7 is more talented. But because the other had better luck with genetics being 6'1, he'll get all the attention.

Its dumb but how recruiting goes sadly. I see it all the time in the Longview program.

We’ve had kids at Marshall get D1 offers because they were 6’6 300+... they may have been the 3rd or 4th beat offensive lineman on the team...  

but, as I was told once by a recruiter at Tx Tech, if they are big enough, potential alone is good enough reason to offer .

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 9:10 PM, ANTI said:

Think he would've been highly sought after regardless of where he went, considering who his pops is. He was getting offers before he got to Katy, when he was at Houston Heights.

You can definitely get plenty exposure in LV. Heck, the Lobos have a 9th grader already getting SEC offers.

Real talk. Bobby Jr. will still get offers even if he transfers to Trinity's six-man.  :D 

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

We’ve had kids at Marshall get D1 offers because they were 6’6 300+... they may have been the 3rd or 4th beat offensive lineman on the team...  

but, as I was told once by a recruiter at Tx Tech, if they are big enough, potential alone is good enough reason to offer .

Man, I love Sawyer Goram-Welch for Longview...signed on to play at Texas.

But I'm smacking anyone who thinks he was the best player on Longview's defense the past two years. lol

That by far was Jephaniah Lister and Tyshawn Taylor. But SGW was 6'4 290. Lister and Taylor werent as lucky with genetics.

Marcus Williams signed with TCU off that '18 OL. He may have been the 4th best on that OL...but was 6'7 290.

And don't even get me started on Keilyn Williams. Thats one of the best Lobo RBs I've seen. Had he been 6'0 190 instead of 5'5 140, could have probably named his college of choice.

D1 talent in small frames.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

I know it's private school, so everything is different.  But do they house them or families moving?

as far as I know, its just a regular private school with no.  But Deion is trying to turn it into IMG.  I don't know if thats a good idea. 

22 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

size isnt the only factor but its one of the most  important factors.  Elite NFL defensive ends are 6'4, 265.   You don't want a tackle or TE out there at 6'2 270 trying to block him.  The bigger the player, the better reach and potential ability to hold up better physically.   Hitting the genetic lottery is gold.  If Shaq was 6'3, he probably doesn't play in the nba...heck he might be a football player.   Would Randy Moss be a hall of fame member if he was 5'9.  His skill was winning jump balls and using his long stride to out run db's.  Steph Curry dad was 6'5  NBA player that was an incredible shooter and his mom was a Div.1 volleyball player.  He hit the lotto when he was created (his little brother also in the NBA).  .

Don't believe them when they say size doesn't matter...lol 

6 hours ago, LOL said:

Unfortunately recruiters seldom see the size of the fight in the dog. 

Which is so flawed.

I've always said if I was ever given the oppurtunity to coach in college, I would be offering talent over size. 

• Like 1

Based on early dirt work.....it looks like the covered facility will run along Maverick drive (North and south) instead of East and West like the stadium.

The renovation of Mav gym should be up and running ASAP.    Turf for the baseball and softball fields Is underway I believe. 

I believe the Ag barn should be started soon too. It will be located behind the Ag/Votech area  where the woods are. 

The new parking lot lighting is in place.  The new parking lot should be started soon too.

Not to mention the renovations going on inside MHS.  Whole area will be a massive construction zone. 

Pics coming soon. 

7 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

After watching the KETK special look who is the front runner for QB... looks like another long year for JT boys lol. 

Saw it too. Don't be surprised if they go a different route.  I don't expect Sanchez to finish the season as JT'S starter.