Cowboys Sign Andy Dalton

11 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I am dead serious about not drafting Hurts when they had the chance ... He was the steal of the draft .... I guarentee he will have a better career in the NFL than the injury prone Tua ....

There are no guarantees of ANYTHING in the NFL   .......see Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich, etc etc etc

IMO Hurts & Dak are a lot alike.   Except Hurts played on much superior college teams

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

6 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

There are no guarantees of ANYTHING in the NFL   .......see Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich, etc etc etc

IMO Hurts & Dak are a lot alike.   Except Hurts played on much superior college teams

Hurts and Dak alike? ... :rofl:

Hurts makes Dak look like he's in slow motion .... c'mon man .... 🙄 .......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Hurts and Dak alike? ... :rofl:

Hurts makes Dak look like he's in slow motion .... c'mon man .... 🙄 .......

Dak and the guy at Ms State before and after him all make Hurts look like a boy in a girl's dress.  Those QBs overcame adversity to win games they shouldn't.  Hurts went into a system where he should have won every game and got benched for a freshman then ran away from his problems to OU...  where he literally made the team worse than the previous year with more talent around him.

• LOL! 1

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Dak and the guy at Ms State before and after him all make Hurts look like a boy in a girl's dress.  Those QBs overcame adversity to win games they shouldn't.  Hurts went into a system where he should have won every game and got benched for a freshman then ran away from his problems to OU...  where he literally made the team worse than the previous year with more talent around him.

Now that's funny right there.  Jerruh really wants to sign Prescott to a long term deal because he knows if he increases his caloric intake by a couple of biscuits a day he can move him to offensive guard or even nose tackle on defense. Then he can trade for Hurts so Dak can block for him and Elliott ...

• LOL! 2

On 5/15/2020 at 2:35 PM, KirtFalcon said:

I am dead serious about not drafting Hurts when they had the chance ... He was the steal of the draft .... I guarentee he will have a better career in the NFL than the injury prone Tua ....

Only if he's in the right offense, with the right supporting cast... if the Eagles try to make a downfield passer out of him, yeah, gonna be tough sledding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Only if he's in the right offense, with the right supporting cast... if the Eagles try to make a downfield passer out of him, yeah, gonna be tough sledding. 

@LOL you are a brutally honest OU fan.  Don't you agree with my above statement about Hurts?  

Hurts went into a system where he should have won every game and got benched for a freshman then ran away from his problems to OU...  where he literally made the team worse than the previous year with more talent around him.

•  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I believe he can develop into another Russell Wilson type QB ... He is as good a passer as Wilson was when he came into the league and is probably a better runner .... given an opportunity,  

On 5/16/2020 at 9:49 AM, MavGrad99 said:

...where he literally made the team worse than the previous year with more talent around him.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

@LOL you are a brutally honest OU fan.  Don't you agree with my above statement about Hurts?  

I think of myself as a "big picture" guy. I appreciate the role Hurts served...  he kept our national profile high during what was going to almost certainly be a building year. I think he gave us a lot of media hype (especially early in the season) that eventually was able to keep us in the playoff conversation. Granted, he got "exposed" against LSU in the post-season, but I really don't know of a single legit OU fan who was at all surprised by that game's outcome. 

Did he make us "worse" than what we would've been trying to break-in Tanner Mordecai or Spencer Rattler? Well....  yes and no. 

OU was a much stronger team in Week 1 with Hurts than we would've been with Mordecai. We probably would've lost to Houston without Hurts excellent performance. 

BUT, he also cost us in the Kansas State loss, and near-losses to Iowa State and Baylor and TCU. As the season wore on he made our offense far too predictable and far too dependent on "hero ball" from Hurts. We didn't beat other teams, we simply out-talented them. I also feel like Riley wasn't able to call the kind of downfield read-and-recognition passing offense he's so good at. Instead we became like a Vince Young kind of Texas team. Which would've been fine if we had that 2005 UT defense. 

So, to look at the big picture: yes, Hurts probably hurt the program more than he helped. 

If OU had had to figure it out this past season, we still probably would've backed into a playoff appearance (and blowout to LSU), but Rattler would've won the starting role by the beginning of Big XII play, and would be going into this season with plenty of experience under his belt. Instead, this year will the "building year" we should've had in 2019, which means we'll probably lose to Texas and at least one other Big XII team. Another playoff early exit is unlikely. 

That said: Jalen Hurts is an excellent athlete and a commendable young man, but he is just not a downfield passing quarterback. That's not to say he can't become one under the right coaching, but that's not where he's at right now. 

@Valhalla whattya think? D'ya agree it would've been better for OU to have not had Hurts? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LOL said:

I think of myself as a "big picture" guy. I appreciate the role Hurts served...  he kept our national profile high during what was going to almost certainly be a building year. I think he gave us a lot of media hype (especially early in the season) that eventually was able to keep us in the playoff conversation. Granted, he got "exposed" against LSU in the post-season, but I really don't know of a single legit OU fan who was at all surprised by that game's outcome. 

Did he make us "worse" than what we would've been trying to break-in Tanner Mordecai or Spencer Rattler? Well....  yes and no. 

OU was a much stronger team in Week 1 with Hurts than we would've been with Mordecai. We probably would've lost to Houston without Hurts excellent performance. 

BUT, he also cost us in the Kansas State loss, and near-losses to Iowa State and Baylor and TCU. As the season wore on he made our offense far too predictable and far too dependent on "hero ball" from Hurts. We didn't beat other teams, we simply out-talented them. I also feel like Riley wasn't able to call the kind of downfield read-and-recognition passing offense he's so good at. Instead we became like a Vince Young kind of Texas team. Which would've been fine if we had that 2005 UT defense. 

So, to look at the big picture: yes, Hurts probably hurt the program more than he helped. 

If OU had had to figure it out this past season, we still probably would've backed into a playoff appearance (and blowout to LSU), but Rattler would've won the starting role by the beginning of Big XII play, and would be going into this season with plenty of experience under his belt. Instead, this year will the "building year" we should've had in 2019, which means we'll probably lose to Texas and at least one other Big XII team. Another playoff early exit is unlikely. 

That said: Jalen Hurts is an excellent athlete and a commendable young man, but he is just not a downfield passing quarterback. That's not to say he can't become one under the right coaching, but that's not where he's at right now. 

@Valhalla whattya think? D'ya agree it would've been better for OU to have not had Hurts? 

Hurts is just a more Athletic Blake Bell to me. 

He cannot throw the ball downfield consistently. He doesn’t go through his progressions past option #1 that well. He escapes from the pocket too quickly and too often. 

Major ball security issues when he runs. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Hurts is just a more Athletic Blake Bell to me. 

That's fair...  I can see that comparison, though I wonder what Blake would've looked like in a Riley offense. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/4/2020 at 7:17 PM, KirtFalcon said:

Dak isn't worth 30 million .... I'm predicting big things for Hurts ... He was the steal of the draft in my opinion,  The QB they took at the tail end of the draft was a wasted pick.  Jerruh could have taken Hurts and still gotten a solid DB by bundling 2-3 later round picks and moving up for a DB .... instead he has a QB that thinks he's Pat Mahomes and wants Mahomes type money that has Ryan Fitzpatrick talent ... 

Told ya so ....

image.png

On 5/16/2020 at 9:55 AM, KirtFalcon said:

Now that's funny right there.  Jerruh really wants to sign Prescott to a long term deal because he knows if he increases his caloric intake by a couple of biscuits a day he can move him to offensive guard or even nose tackle on defense. Then he can trade for Hurts so Dak can block for him and Elliott ...

I don't have a dog in this fight and don't know 5%of what y'all cats knows about the NCAA football but I just feels if a dude named 'Hurts' get hauled off in the stretch golf kart in the third quarter, it just feels less devastating. 

• LOL! 2