4a Division 1

Coach1990

Seeing what yal's thoughts were on 4A D1. I haven't seen the Dave Campbells rankings but seeing the realignement. Region 4 looks tough with District 15 having some heavy hitters dropping down from 5a and Lampasas out of District 13. Of course Region 2 is favored possibly with Waco La Vega and Argyle. What do yal think?

28 minutes ago, Coach1990 said:

Seeing what yal's thoughts were on 4A D1. I haven't seen the Dave Campbells rankings but seeing the realignement. Region 4 looks tough with District 15 having some heavy hitters dropping down from 5a and Lampasas out of District 13. Of course Region 2 is favored possibly with Waco La Vega and Argyle. What do yal think?

CC Calallen

1 hour ago, Coach1990 said:

I think Lampasas is going to win state.

La Vega should start No. 1. They are LOADED from a young, young team last year.

Behind them, I think Calallen is an easy No. 2, and probably not as far behind LV as some might think. But also from that district, Alice and Port Lavaca Calhoun will ALL make some noise. I bet two of those teams rematch for the Region IV title in December.

Argyle will get the nod as a top 5 team again, and they should win their district, but they might get pushed. Don’t see the Eagles beating La Vega come playoff time again.

Kilgore has a leg up in Region III, I think, but without Carthage, and with the other traditional powers over in Region II, Region III just doesn’t look as daunting as it has in the past.

Not sure on the Region I teams, but I’d look for Dumas and Springtown to build on the super successful seasons they had a year ago.

Here are the rankings for Dave Campbell's that I saw on twitter. 

Rank          Returners O/D

1.Waco La Vega 6/8

2. Argyle 7/7

3. Lampasas 6/5

4. CC Calallen 7/7

5. Port Lavaca 4/5

6. Springtown 5/3

7. CC Miller 6/5

8. Dumas 8/6

9, El Campo 6/5

10. Decatur 5/4

11. Stephenville 6/6

12. Midlothian Heritage 5/6

13. Austin LBJ 8/7

14. Paris 6/6

15. Brownwood 4/3

16. Kennedale 8/6

17. Needville 8/7

18. Lindale 8/7

19. Melissa 6/6

20. Kilgore 5/6

21. Andrews 5/6

22. Henderson 1/3

23. Alice 6/5

24. Vidor 6/6

25 Wichita Falls Hirschi 1/5

25 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Could possibly be the favorite with Lindale as DC . However, the dogs have a lot to prove. Kilgore definitely not top 10 but could be in for a decent year.

Yes definitely Kilgor should be competitive. I do agree HJR7 in the sense that they were a .500 team returning only half their starters. But you never know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlackShirtD said:

Lampasas will be tough this year.   CC Cal after dropping will rattle some cages.  Will see just how good Argyle is after they play PG in non district.  Better strap it up if they want to score against PG. 

Argyle may be one of the few with an OL big enough and offense scheme to move the ball on PG.  Should be a great early season matchup.

11 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Argyle may be one of the few with an OL big enough and offense scheme to move the ball on PG.  Should be a great early season matchup.

Argyle brings back some speedy little receivers and Tito Byce in the backfield. Of course, they loose All-Everything QB Hogenboom. Not sure who the Eagles have to take over that role, but whoever it is will have some big holes and expectations to fill. The offensive/defensive lines should still be strong points for Argyle.

I bet Regal or one of the other Argyllians could shed a little more light on that, though.

21 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I'd be okay with Lampasas as long as they don't let the kid play that tried to take out the Carthage O-lineman's knee from behind in the game last year.  Kid should at least have some kind of consequence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

I'd be okay with Lampasas as long as they don't let the kid play that tried to take out the Carthage O-lineman's knee from behind in the game last year.  Kid should at least have some kind of consequence.

Did not see or hear what happened?    Just going off returners and their QB.   Dude can play

10 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Argyle brings back some speedy little receivers and Tito Byce in the backfield. Of course, they loose All-Everything QB Hogenboom. Not sure who the Eagles have to take over that role, but whoever it is will have some big holes and expectations to fill. The offensive/defensive lines should still be strong points for Argyle.

I bet Regal or one of the other Argyllians could shed a little more light on that, though.

Argyle will start CJ Rogers at QB this season......he will be a senior this year.  He was Hogeboom's backup last season, but could've started for most every other team in 4A except for a handful. He also saw quite a bit of action at the wideout position last season. He was about 6-4/180 last season......but I reckon he'll be matured out a little more for his senior season and ready to lead the Eagles offense.  He's a durn good basketball player too.......he may be 6-5, not sure.  He'll be more mobile than Hogeboom and has a pretty good passing accuracy......but not the arm or accuracy of Hogeboom.  I think the Argyle coaches will bring him along just fine with that big O-line upfront to protect him and the Bice/Scoggins tandem at RB.  Cole Kirkpatrick will be back as a senior at wide receiver, too.......he's coming off a spectacular junior highlight season.  You can go to HUDL and see some clips of CJ Rogers......most likely Kirkpatrick too.  I'd say Argyle might have a pretty balanced team this season.......and a much better defense than last season.  They've definitely got to be considered a contender in D-1.

Forgot to mention that big TE Jasper Lott with lots of D-1 offers........he's a senior this season and should play an even bigger role in the offense this season for Argyle.  He's also used on Defense from time to time........pretty big boy ol' Jasper........he did a commendable job last season on the defensive side when Argyle needed him.

Sounds like Argyle will still be loaded. It will basically come down to whether or not they can get over the La Vega hump in the Region II final. The Eagles will get tested early in non-district, that's for sure, with matchups against Nolan Catholic, Pleasant Grove, Celina and La Vega.

On 6/14/2020 at 3:21 PM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Argyle is my pick. I honestly think any experience got them beat last year. I honestly think lampasas was a bad matchup for Carthage last year. We've always struggled against smaller quicker linemen. 

On 6/14/2020 at 8:56 PM, Coach1990 said:

Yes definitely Kilgor should be competitive. I do agree HJR7 in the sense that they were a .500 team returning only half their starters. But you never know.

Kilgore returns: QB Dalton McElyea (honorable mention all-district), RB Trey Epps (second team all-district), Donovan Adkins (first team all-district DB), Brian Brown (first team all-district at WR, second team all-district at LB), OLB Davin Rider (District Defensive Newcomer of the Year), Kaden Kenney (first team all-district DE), Trey Williams (second team all-district DL), Dalton Smith (second team all-district DB).

Also Jermaine Romey, who was injured for a majority of last year, comes highly touted.

That's from looking at the roster from Maxpreps from last year. There are a few more, but thanks to Covid, we did some house cleaning and I can't find my program from last year.

8 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Put Palestine lower Athens has a lot to prove and Chapel Hill being somewhat competitive. Three team race for first. If I had to pick don t know who was returning.

1. Kilgore 

2. lindale

3. Henderson 

4. Chapel Hill

Palestine

Athens 

Mabank

I would swap CH and Palestine. Chapel Hill's last 7 years have been a head scratcher.

9 hours ago, StillALion said:

MaxPreps’ poll/rankings has it even closer and anybody’s district than this one — 5 of the 7 teams within 9 spots of each other ... 

District 9-4AD1 teams ... 

19 Kilgore  

22 Palestine 

25 Lindale 

26 Henderson

28 Mabank

And then Athens and Chapel Hill are 50 and 55.

Where on Maxpreps are these rankings?