4a Division 1

Coach1990

10 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I am thinking 2015 was their best team ever  judging from what we saw in LV in December I highly doubt this upcoming year will be the best team they ever had.

Saying that does not mean LV won’t win state with ease this year. However, I am sticking to my prediction of Lampasas  ring the state champions in the upcoming season.

I may be wrong but the defense brings back 7 or 8. 
the offense brings back a bunch. 
they will replace QB and wide receivers. 
Not sure about O line. 
That young defense destroyed Argyle in the playoffs. 
you maybe right about 2015, their secondary was loaded. 
can’t judge them on the Carthage 2015 team, they were missing 7 maybe 8 starters. 

• Like 1

I didn't get a chance to see Carthage's ridiculous trio of linebackers a few years ago, and I know they were very good. But La Vega's LB corps from last year is one of the best I've ever seen at the HS level. Elite speed, elite vision, tremendous playmaking ability. Hard-hitting ball hawks. I was really impressed. If they bring those guys back, their defense will be really, really good.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

I didn't get a chance to see Carthage's ridiculous trio of linebackers a few years ago, and I know they were very good. But La Vega's LB corps from last year is one of the best I've ever seen at the HS level. Elite speed, elite vision, tremendous playmaking ability. Hard-hitting ball hawks. I was really impressed. If they bring those guys back, their defense will be really, really good.

They were without their best LB against Carthage in the state championship game, but I’d put either of Carthage’s top two linebackers from the 2017 state championship team up against him, Gates and Brown. 
Carthage’s 2017 LB corp was better than 2019 LV LB corp. 

28 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

They were without their best LB against Carthage in the state championship game, but I’d put either of Carthage’s top two linebackers from the 2017 state championship team up against him, Gates and Brown. 
Carthage’s 2017 LB corp was better than 2019 LV LB corp. 

I don't doubt it, saw videos of Gates/Brown and heard they were something else to see live. But that's a high ceiling! LV's 2019 group was still very talented.

Early report from Argyle is that QB CJ Rogers came in very strong and crisp and looks like a starter from last season.  He will not best Hogeboom's 57  TD's last season and 3700 yds passing, but should not have to rely so much this season on those kind of numbers.  Hogeboom threw for an Argyle record of 101 TD passes at Argyle in his two seasons at QB.  They said Rogers was throwing bullets on time and on target to the Eagles speediest reciever Cole Kirkpatrick.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:00 AM, d0tc0m said:

Sounds like Argyle will still be loaded. It will basically come down to whether or not they can get over the La Vega hump in the Region II final. The Eagles will get tested early in non-district, that's for sure, with matchups against Nolan Catholic, Pleasant Grove, Celina and La Vega.

Looks like Argyle has rescheduled their opener to be against Decatur(12-1 last season) instead of Nolan Catholic for some reason......August 29th in Argyle.  Decatur has Landon Howell coming back at QB for his senior season......he can definitely put up some big numbers and can be mobile.  He's like CJ Rogers alot......about 6-3/180 and a good basketball player too. Should be a good battle to start the season out and should be interesting watching these two QB's that have similar athletic size and skill sets.

Evidently Nolan Catholic(11-1 last season) will not be playing their first game of the season until Sept. 11th......against Red Oak(5A-D1).  Looks like they have pushed back their schedule due to Covid and dropped the Argyle game from their season opener.  They also dropped their next game the following week and will not have a Bye Week this season.

We all put Carthage on a pedestal and rightfully so.  Since Surratt took over just 12 years ago they have sky rocketed to all time greatness with what they have done.

That said,  let's look at La Vegas resume since the last 5 seasons since they won the state title in 2015.  I think yall will agree that the Pirates have got something special going on themselves.                                                  2015)  16-0 (beat Carthage 39-3 in playoffs)  state champions

2016)  13-1                                                    2017)  14-1 (lost to Carthage in semis 46-39)

2018)  14-2 state champs.                          2019)  14-2 (lost to Carthage in title game)

overall record of 71-6,  3 title game appearances ,  2 titles.

Carthage 

2015)  11-4

2016)  13-2  state champs 

2017)  16-0 state champs

2018)  14-1

2019)  16-0 state champs

overall record 70-7. 3 title game appearances 3 titles

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another Argyle Update:  

Offensive tackle Jack Tucker(6-8/282/Sr.) verbally committed to Texas Tech in June.   Also offensive tackle Sheridan Wilson(6-4/260/Jr.) was offered by Ariz. State and TCU last month.   Argyle RB Tito Byce(5-10/195/Sr.) was offered by Navy last month......his 3rd FBS offer so far.  TE Jasper Lott(6-6/245/Sr.) has 18 FBS offers so far.....he has made no verbal yet.  Other Argyle Eagle players like WR Cole Kirkpatrick(6-1/180/Sr.) Navy and 2 others so far,   offensive guard Caden Reeves(6-5/300/Sr.)several so far;  Darren Chapa NG/DT(5-10/252/Sr.); These are just the early offers coming in I'm aware of.......there are perhaps 2 or 3 more linemen on both sides of the ball and a possible LB(David Elsey 6-2/200/Sr.) that could also receive some offers......in addition to possibly a few offensive skill players.  I just hope we have a full season this year......there are some really potent teams in 4A this season.

15 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Another Argyle Update:  

Offensive tackle Jack Tucker(6-8/282/Sr.) verbally committed to Texas Tech in June.   Also offensive tackle Sheridan Wilson(6-4/260/Jr.) was offered by Ariz. State and TCU last month.   Argyle RB Tito Byce(5-10/195/Sr.) was offered by Navy last month......his 3rd FBS offer so far.  TE Jasper Lott(6-6/245/Sr.) has 18 FBS offers so far.....he has made no verbal yet.  Other Argyle Eagle players like WR Cole Kirkpatrick(6-1/180/Sr.) Navy and 2 others so far,   offensive guard Caden Reeves(6-5/300/Sr.)several so far;  Darren Chapa NG/DT(5-10/252/Sr.); These are just the early offers coming in I'm aware of.......there are perhaps 2 or 3 more linemen on both sides of the ball and a possible LB(David Elsey 6-2/200/Sr.) that could also receive some offers......in addition to possibly a few offensive skill players.  I just hope we have a full season this year......there are some really potent teams in 4A this season.

Argyle could have the best offensive line they've ever had this year. Will be hard to find a better OL at the 4A level, for sure. The offense should be potent as always. Just so many freaking weapons.

Last season's Argyle Eagles were actually young.  Except for 5 D-1 Baseball signees that all graduated(4 on offense), most of the team is now one year more experienced. Still have lots of juniors and sophs. filling the starting roles this season as well......the coaching staff is still determining player placement and what to do with so  many talented sophs. Some may have to play on the JV for part of the season. I don't think the secondary will be as much an issue as it was last season.......the linebackers either.  3 quality and experienced LB's will be back this season. 

Argyles online is always huge, I don't get where they get that big of kids year in and year out? 

I'm pretty excited to see the Argyle Melissa game. Argyle will obviously be the favorite but Melissa seemed to have turned a corner last year in the program. Melissa should have beaten La Vega and would have gotten to rematch Argyle again. That game would have been an awesome game. Melissa was a completely different animal against La Vega. Melissa had a lot of young guys last year that got a ton of playing time that will hopefully translate over to this year. 

My observation with Argyle is you get the same team in game 1 through game 10 or however far they can make it in the playoffs. Argyle seems to peak week 1 and never progresses past that. For instance Argyle beats up on La Vega in pre district then La Vega seems to get better and returns the favor in the playoffs. When Celina and Argyle met up in the playoffs in 2018 Celina probably should have won that game, but in district Argyle throttled Celina. I'm not taking anything away from Argyle because they are really good, but its pretty perplexing to me why they seem to not get better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedRed said:

My observation with Argyle is you get the same team in game 1 through game 10 or however far they can make it in the playoffs. Argyle seems to peak week 1 and never progresses past that. For instance Argyle beats up on La Vega in pre district then La Vega seems to get better and returns the favor in the playoffs. When Celina and Argyle met up in the playoffs in 2018 Celina probably should have won that game, but in district Argyle throttled Celina. I'm not taking anything away from Argyle because they are really good, but its pretty perplexing to me why they seem to not get better.

It’s like that every year. World beaters in the regular season. Not sure why that is. The biggest glaring issue is La Vega. LV is 3-0 against the Eagles in the playoffs since 2015. 2 of those years LV won a ship. 16’ and 17’ they got beat by AW and Stephenville in games they were heavily favored in. One of those things you can’t quite put your finger on.

6 hours ago, RedRed said:

It's called an injury to either the qb or the main rb.......someone who is very key and difficult to replace.  Last season it was just a great offense and not so good and very young defense with our main RB out halfway thru the season even before district ended.  Seems like every year something has happened bad for Argyle to disrupt their chances......yet they have done very well regardless.  All this while contending with very loaded top teams.......it's not easy to win every single game all the way to the final.  Argyle's record since 2010(last 10 seasons) is 132-12.......that's 144 games in 10 seasons.  When you play that many games every year.......it's easier to lose the big one.......or the toughest opponent in your way to the final.  They have built a top program from their inception and kept their Head Coach(now AD also) Rodgers.......that helps with the continuity and the winning mindset.

4 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Argyle's record since 2010(last 10 seasons) is 132-12.......that's 144 games in 10 seasons.  When you play that many games every year.......it's easier to lose the big one.

That’s an impressive record, and over a long period of time. To average 14 games a season over a 10 year period is very hard to do. Not many programs in the state can claim that kind of accomplishment.

10 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

That’s an impressive record, and over a long period of time. To average 14 games a season over a 10 year period is very hard to do. Not many programs in the state can claim that kind of accomplishment.

Yeah......it's hard to believe so I had to recheck it again.  But the record is correct for that timespan.....and could have easily been better if some things didn't happen.

This will be the 18th season for Todd Rodgers as Head Coach of the Argyle Eagles football team.......and his 18th season as a Head Coach.  Looks like if he can stay a couple of more years he might have a good chance for one more title.  Argyle is growing fast......they may grow into a 5A school at the bottom numbers by next realignment.  There's another big subdivision being built along I-35 to Denton with lots of new homes.......not sure if it will fall in Denton or Argyle or both.

9 hours ago, regaleagle said:

It's called an injury to either the qb or the main rb.......someone who is very key and difficult to replace.  Last season it was just a great offense and not so good and very young defense with our main RB out halfway thru the season even before district ended.  Seems like every year something has happened bad for Argyle to disrupt their chances......yet they have done very well regardless.  All this while contending with very loaded top teams.......it's not easy to win every single game all the way to the final.  Argyle's record since 2010(last 10 seasons) is 132-12.......that's 144 games in 10 seasons.  When you play that many games every year.......it's easier to lose the big one.......or the toughest opponent in your way to the final.  They have built a top program from their inception and kept their Head Coach(now AD also) Rodgers.......that helps with the continuity and the winning mindset.

Totally makes sense.

Argyle is good year-in and year-out. They seem to start the season off full throttle. I don't think any less of the Eagles' program just because they haven't won "the big one" in a while. They consistently start the season in the top 3, and in my opinion, they're usually one of the top 3 teams at the end of it all. Only one team gets to hoist the hardware, and it's not an easy accomplishment.

9 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Argyle is good year-in and year-out. They seem to start the season off full throttle. I don't think any less of the Eagles' program just because they haven't won "the big one" in a while. They consistently start the season in the top 3, and in my opinion, they're usually one of the top 3 teams at the end of it all. Only one team gets to hoist the hardware, and it's not an easy accomplishment.

Argyles main issue the last 5 years is Carthage and La Vega were in their division. 2 schools have accounted for 5 consecutive state titles. Won’t get any easier. Some big time programs dropped down to 4a DI. And with Argyle’s enrollment booming they could possibly be 5a next alignment. I think they are still a top 10 - 15 program in 5a DII, but winning championships will be that much harder. 

12 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Argyles main issue the last 5 years is Carthage and La Vega were in their division. 2 schools have accounted for 5 consecutive state titles. Won’t get any easier. Some big time programs dropped down to 4a DI. And with Argyle’s enrollment booming they could possibly be 5a next alignment. I think they are still a top 10 - 15 program in 5a DII, but winning championships will be that much harder. 

Well, Carthage hasn't been the issue, as the two haven't met in the postseason in the past five years. The problem's been in the Region final or in the semifinal matchup. Argyle's had a team good enough to win it each of the past five years, but they've just lost good games to good teams. That happens. Some of it has been injuries and things like that. But some of it is the other team just played a better game and won, and all you can do is tip your cap. Hell, even Carthage has lost one or two of those types of games over the years, and right now, in my opinion, there is not another program in 4A that is on the same level as Carthage. Period. They are an elevated elite tier. Some others are close behind with really great programs, like Argyle and La Vega and Pleasant Grove and WOS. But nobody in 4A is doing what Carthage has done since 2008.

• Thanks 1

Carthage...70 wins in 5 seasons.

LV...71 wins in 5 seasons.

Argyle...132 wins in the decade.

Those are crazy numbers.

To put it into perspective just how far those programs have seperated themselves from everyone else...based on the 4a-D1 programs listed in Smoakys historical section the next highest win total for the decade was Henderson with 92 wins...followed by Kilgore with 73 and Paris with 72. I hope fans of the Pirates, Eagles and Bulldogs appreciate just how special this is.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Carthage...70 wins in 5 seasons.

LV...71 wins in 5 seasons.

Argyle...132 wins in the decade.

Those are crazy numbers.

To put it into perspective just how far those programs have seperated themselves from everyone else...based on the 4a-D1 programs listed in Smoakys historical section the next highest win total for the decade was Henderson with 92 wins...followed by Kilgore with 73 and Paris with 72. I hope fans of the Pirates, Eagles and Bulldogs appreciate just how special this is.

Pretty wild, man.