4a Division 1

Coach1990

I believe the Paris program is on the rise......they have quality coaching now and quality athletes.  They  had a disappointing end result last season led by a very good soph. QB(coach's son Hohenberger).  They return 2 dynamic RB's, QB, and lots of other outstanding athletic players from last season. They have enrollment numbers that are steady around the 1000 mark and outstanding young athletes on varsity each year now. Watch out for Paris to do very well this season......they are making the advances like Melissa in their program. Boy......what a schedule they have for this season.  You have to understand they played and will play again a very very tough schedule......Celina, Melissa, Argyle,  Pleasant Grove, and Gilmer last season......Celina, Melissa, Argyle, Pleasant Grove, and a highly ranked state champ Tulsa Metro Christian(15-0) to start their season this year.  Under the radar on Smoaky so far with their posters.......I think the Paris faithful are very excited about their team again this season.  It's just that schedule......it's very very tough. But they are legitimate contenders in my book.

How good could Paris be if they didn't have two 4A schools in one small city......and Paris Chisum in 10-3A-D2???  That's alot of dividing of athletes in one small city for sure.  Argyle divides with Liberty Christian, but that's a Private school that has only a few Argyle locals on the team......but some are quality football players and Liberty Christian is a perennial contender in TAPPS D-1. Many of those families have moved to Argyle now so their kids can go to school at Liberty Christian.  You can bet that Paris also loses some very quality athletes to N. Lamar and Chisum, too.

On 8/7/2020 at 12:47 AM, JasperDawg said:

We all put Carthage on a pedestal and rightfully so.  Since Surratt took over just 12 years ago they have sky rocketed to all time greatness with what they have done.

That said,  let's look at La Vegas resume since the last 5 seasons since they won the state title in 2015.  I think yall will agree that the Pirates have got something special going on themselves.                                                  2015)  16-0 (beat Carthage 39-3 in playoffs)  state champions

2016)  13-1                                                    2017)  14-1 (lost to Carthage in semis 46-39)

2018)  14-2 state champs.                          2019)  14-2 (lost to Carthage in title game)

overall record of 71-6,  3 title game appearances ,  2 titles.

Carthage 

2015)  11-4

2016)  13-2  state champs 

2017)  16-0 state champs

2018)  14-1

2019)  16-0 state champs

overall record 70-7. 3 title game appearances 3 titles

Our 2015 season when we lost four games hurts our overall record over that timespan. We did make it to the semifinals that year only to get smoked by La Vega.

11 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

Carthage...70 wins in 5 seasons.

LV...71 wins in 5 seasons.

Argyle...132 wins in the decade.

Those are crazy numbers.

To put it into perspective just how far those programs have seperated themselves from everyone else...based on the 4a-D1 programs listed in Smoakys historical section the next highest win total for the decade was Henderson with 92 wins...followed by Kilgore with 73 and Paris with 72. I hope fans of the Pirates, Eagles and Bulldogs appreciate just how special this is.

We do, 100%.

12 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Well, Carthage hasn't been the issue, as the two haven't met in the postseason in the past five years. The problem's been in the Region final or in the semifinal matchup. Argyle's had a team good enough to win it each of the past five years, but they've just lost good games to good teams. That happens. Some of it has been injuries and things like that. But some of it is the other team just played a better game and won, and all you can do is tip your cap. Hell, even Carthage has lost one or two of those types of games over the years, and right now, in my opinion, there is not another program in 4A that is on the same level as Carthage. Period. They are an elevated elite tier. Some others are close behind with really great programs, like Argyle and La Vega and Pleasant Grove and WOS. But nobody in 4A is doing what Carthage has done since 2008.

DAWGS.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

More State Championship wins than playoff losses is insane.  I feel sorry for Division 2 next couple of years. PG and WoS can handle their own but this is a different beast . 

Fixed it for you.  Also note that PG will win the Oct battle over Carthage but when they meet in Dec Carthage will return the favor.

LV is D-1 in Region 2.......the same as Argyle, Paris, Melissa, and LV's district mates.  If someone does knock them out of the playoffs this season,  I'ma thinking it will be either Argyle or Paris or Melissa.  I don't see Springtown or any of LV's district foes doing it.  I don't see any team from Region 1 beating them if they get to that semifinal either.  They have an experienced group and quality athletes at just about every position.   We may not even get to a regional playoff game this season......let's hope we do.  If Argyle can stay healthy and we do have regional finals........I think Argyle has the personnel, coaching staff, and experienced players to get there this season.  

BTW.......it will take a team with a very good offense that has a balanced attack to defeat La Vega.......they are just so athletic and quick on both sides of the ball.  You have to be able to score some points to counteract their scores......which can happen at anytime from anywhere on the field.  And then you will need a very good defense......something Argyle was missing last season because of youth.  Argyle just basically outscored their opponents last season......they were very good offensively, but mediocre on defense.

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

BTW.......it will take a team with a very good offense that has a balanced attack to defeat La Vega.......they are just so athletic and quick on both sides of the ball.  You have to be able to score some points to counteract their scores......which can happen at anytime from anywhere on the field.  And then you will need a very good defense......something Argyle was missing last season because of youth.  Argyle just basically outscored their opponents last season......they were very good offensively, but mediocre on defense.

LV is a one back team  MOST all there running plays 95% go to  there speed back little but fast as for there passing game not a lot to talk about  the big line he has keeps  most kids off of him not much of a strong arm  not much of a threat to run if LV meets up with a no huddle team with speed  there BIG linemen will be in trouble they are not very fast to the ball any way by looking at the game with cartridge. MY FEELINGS ARE with all the sr THEY HAVE this year they should see jerrys world  i missed some thing LV WRs not to shabby

13 minutes ago, powerlifter said:

LV is a one back team  MOST all there running plays 95% go to  there speed back little but fast as for there passing game not a lot to talk about  the big line he has keeps  most kids off of him not much of a strong arm  not much of a threat to run if LV meets up with a no huddle team with speed  there BIG linemen will be in trouble they are not very fast to the ball any way by looking at the game with cartridge. MY FEELINGS ARE with all the sr THEY HAVE this year they should see jerrys world  i missed some thing LV WRs not to shabby

Man, I don't know if we've seen two different LV QBs or what, but the kid is for sure a threat to run. I'll give you that he doesn't have the strongest arm, but if he has to, he can certainly tuck it and run, and if he gets into the second level, he'll be hard to bring down.

38 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Man, I don't know if we've seen two different LV QBs or what, but the kid is for sure a threat to run. I'll give you that he doesn't have the strongest arm, but if he has to, he can certainly tuck it and run, and if he gets into the second level, he'll be hard to bring down.

i agree  

The first part of the livestream scrimmage was the JV teams......with the short, fast RB and the JV qb.  The Varsity with Rauls at qb and Walton at rb came later......and showed some of the many backs and speedsters on both sides of the ball.......as well as the size of the OL.   Late in the livestream you saw the little short back again.......mainly with the 2nd team squads of the varsity and their back-up QB.  Looks like LV gave him plenty of carries in both the JV and 2nd teamer Varsity sections of the scrimmage.  He's NOT their main back......Walton is.  BUT.......by the time district play gets here he most probably will become a weapon in the backfield for the varsity.  He can hide behind those big lineman and shoot thru those holes before the defense can find him.  And he has great speed as well.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:28 PM, coachkells said:

Week 1 WOS vs La Vega.  

the key is less to keep the speed back under control LV line will be close  to WO-S so there will be no problem there un less LV has cant control the speed of there DF linemen three D1kids BAYLOR  LSU  TEXAS not to bad for a one horse school  Thompson and his staff take take   these kids under there wings  go to church with them  eat  with them and guide them throw there troubles church guide ness W0-S cam up 2 games short of going to Jerrys world   lost two from last years only  THIS GAME BETWEEN  VAGA AND MUSTANGS PROBLY WILL NOT BE PLAYED

I'm very anxious to see how Argyle plays Decatur in Argyle AND how Celina and Melissa perform in their matchup on Friday.  Hopefully the weather in the DFW Metroplex will be unaffected by Hurricane Laura.  Celina falls into D-2 this realignment, but Melissa is in the same district as Argyle.  Celina will play Argyle in a predistrict rival game in Week 3.  The Argyle-Decatur game will be streamed live on YouTube and broadcast on Sportsgram begins @ 7 PM.  

All tickets available for this game have been allotted and sold electonically.  To enter the gate, you must show your electronic pass on your phone.  There will be no reserved tickets for this season in Argyle.  Two tickets allocated per family of players, band parents, and cheer/drill team parents.  High school seniors are then allowed the next allocation of tickets, then the general public.  Any tickets not used by family allocation or visiting school will be added to the public allotment.  All tickets will be sold electronically and no tickets at the gate this season. Each week ticket sales will begin at 7 am on Tuesday morning.  Not sure about ticket availability for the away games.......may depend on the structure used by the opposing school that week.