DISD

randomuser

On 6/27/2020 at 10:45 AM, randomuser said:

Did cancel summer workouts along with almost all the Houston area schools and many other schools. No I don’t have a link, it’s all over Twitter.

Expect DISD, San Antonio, Houston, eventually FWISD to all do the same.  The Wuhan is putting the fear of God in these people with its <1% mortality rate

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 11:06 AM, MavGrad99 said:

Expect DISD, San Antonio, Houston, eventually FWISD to all do the same.  The Wuhan is putting the fear of God in these people with its <1% mortality rate

Infection Fatality Rate for Texas <.02% or 99.98% survival rate 

IFR for US <.05 

Global IFR <.05

Most deaths are older people and/or people with other health problems

11 hours ago, Grayghost said:

Infection Fatality Rate for Texas <.02% or 99.98% survival rate 

IFR for US <.05 

Global IFR <.05

Most deaths are older people and/or people with other health problems

I've done it before, but you should apply these numbers to Ages 44 and number and see the ridiculously low number that you get....

On 6/29/2020 at 9:06 AM, MavGrad99 said:

Well, I'm sure kids don't want to give this virus to their grandparents and have them on the respirator. Not down for putting people's families in danger due to football. 

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

Well, I'm sure kids don't want to give this virus to their grandparents and have them on the respirator. Not down for putting people's families in danger due to football. 

Then don’t play.  Kids quit all of the time.  One quit on us a few years ago because “he wanted to be a man and get his girl pregnant”

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Then don’t play.  Kids quit all of the time.  One quit on us a few years ago because “he wanted to be a man and get his girl pregnant”

That comparison is so woefully off-base.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I didn't know how to reply to the comparison he made.  Good choice of words .

Kids can quit for any reason at any time and there is nothing we can do about it.  If they quit to have a baby or because of a virus, let them.  Who are we to prevent them from doing what they believe in.  And who are they to stop us from playing football out of fear?  

I go work football games fearing that I may have that 1 head or abdominal injury to a kid that I can do nothing about.  Should we stop football because of my fear?  

Play or don't play... just don't tell people, the free people of America, that they can't do something they have always been allowed to do when there is no proof of further harm.

21 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Kids can quit for any reason at any time and there is nothing we can do about it.  If they quit to have a baby or because of a virus, let them.  Who are we to prevent them from doing what they believe in.  And who are they to stop us from playing football out of fear?  

I go work football games fearing that I may have that 1 head or abdominal injury to a kid that I can do nothing about.  Should we stop football because of my fear?  

Play or don't play... just don't tell people, the free people of America, that they can't do something they have always been allowed to do when there is no proof of further harm.

Ok

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

This just made me think.  I know that they can wear face shields while playing, but what about hand washing. They would have to install some sort of way for 22 players to wash their hands after every play.  Latex gloves are not going to work.  I tear mine all the time at work.  This might even apply to the NFL.  How often will testing be done, and how much will the cost of the tests be compared to what they can bring in to offset that cost ?  There are so many factors I see, that I honestly don't think we will see football for at least the next two years on the High School or lower levels.  I'm hoping the NFL has players that will think I have a limited number of years to make the money I do, and take the risk to play.  I know they have drugs to treat the virus, but those are costly and I think the NFL players union should have the teams or league pay for those treatments as well if they come down with it, unless it's in the offseason.  I can't see that on the High School level.  Taxes aren't going to be there to help many of these schools.  I actually wonder how many people aren't going to be able to pay their property taxes at the end of the year once unemployment goes up.  Schools depend on those taxes to stay open.  The State is losing money with tax revenue right now, and it's going to make them go deeper in debt.  

I'm trying to keep my sense of humor about all of this, and I know it doesn't apply to football, but it could with baseball.  I know he does this in a joking manner, but this could be how it is with baseball :  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

This just made me think.  I know that they can wear face shields while playing, but what about hand washing. They would have to install some sort of way for 22 players to wash their hands after every play.  Latex gloves are not going to work.  I tear mine all the time at work.  This might even apply to the NFL.  How often will testing be done, and how much will the cost of the tests be compared to what they can bring in to offset that cost ?  There are so many factors I see, that I honestly don't think we will see football for at least the next two years on the High School or lower levels.  I'm hoping the NFL has players that will think I have a limited number of years to make the money I do, and take the risk to play.  I know they have drugs to treat the virus, but those are costly and I think the NFL players union should have the teams or league pay for those treatments as well if they come down with it, unless it's in the offseason.  I can't see that on the High School level.  Taxes aren't going to be there to help many of these schools.  I actually wonder how many people aren't going to be able to pay their property taxes at the end of the year once unemployment goes up.  Schools depend on those taxes to stay open.  The State is losing money with tax revenue right now, and it's going to make them go deeper in debt.  

I'm trying to keep my sense of humor about all of this, and I know it doesn't apply to football, but it could with baseball.  I know he does this in a joking manner, but this could be how it is with baseball :  

Domingo is the best. 

30 minutes ago, TheShadowKnows said:

For some reason inner-city schools avoid doing the hard work, doing the right thing and anything else they deem is systemic racism 

They keep talking about "herd immunity" not working... but I believe it could work with sports teams.  It would be harder with high school kids because they all have to go home to their families then we just start a spiral.  By my estimation (by the people I know and have seen), out of every 20 people who test positive with COVID, 1 gets really sick, 3-4 get mild symptoms lasting 1-2 days and the other 15 stay asymptomatic.  Meaning that maybe 20-25% see any effects at all and 5% end up with flu-like symptoms.  So if you put that up against 100 football players we are talking about 5 getting flu-like symptoms like Rudy Gobert.  15 with a light cold.  80 with nothing.   After all 100 have the virus, we have natural immunity from the virus.  

Those of you who may not understand natural immunity.  Your body naturally creates antibodies to fight off viruses and infections after it has "erupted" in your body.  Meaning that in the normal human being without autoimmune problems (like AIDS), can not get sick from the same virus twice.  So take for example the flu.  It comes as a different strand each year and the vaccine makers are essentially guessing on how it will mutate each season to protect you from it (this is called artificial immunity, effective but not as powerful).  If your body has natural immunity, you typically get sick once then every time after that it is less impactful.  You want natural immunity.  The people in Washington love their drug makers and will push artificial immunity or "vaccines."  If COVID is like the flu, it will stick around, it will kill people at the same rate and it will spread. 

The death and hospital numbers are not significant.  About a 1% death rate for those who contract the virus.  That number is roughly about 10x more than the flu.  However, most Americans have some sort of natural immunity to the flu.  Which, if you bothered to read above will likely decrease the effectiveness of the virus in your body, meaning less severe symptoms.   

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

They keep talking about "herd immunity" not working... but I believe it could work with sports teams.  It would be harder with high school kids because they all have to go home to their families then we just start a spiral.  By my estimation (by the people I know and have seen), out of every 20 people who test positive with COVID, 1 gets really sick, 3-4 get mild symptoms lasting 1-2 days and the other 15 stay asymptomatic.  Meaning that maybe 20-25% see any effects at all and 5% end up with flu-like symptoms.  So if you put that up against 100 football players we are talking about 5 getting flu-like symptoms like Rudy Gobert.  15 with a light cold.  80 with nothing.   After all 100 have the virus, we have natural immunity from the virus.  

Those of you who may not understand natural immunity.  Your body naturally creates antibodies to fight off viruses and infections after it has "erupted" in your body.  Meaning that in the normal human being without autoimmune problems (like AIDS), can not get sick from the same virus twice.  So take for example the flu.  It comes as a different strand each year and the vaccine makers are essentially guessing on how it will mutate each season to protect you from it (this is called artificial immunity, effective but not as powerful).  If your body has natural immunity, you typically get sick once then every time after that it is less impactful.  You want natural immunity.  The people in Washington love their drug makers and will push artificial immunity or "vaccines."  If COVID is like the flu, it will stick around, it will kill people at the same rate and it will spread. 

The death and hospital numbers are not significant.  About a 1% death rate for those who contract the virus.  That number is roughly about 10x more than the flu.  However, most Americans have some sort of natural immunity to the flu.  Which, if you bothered to read above will likely decrease the effectiveness of the virus in your body, meaning less severe symptoms.   

I’m following you and agree with most of your post.  That is why the UIL and local school districts will need to revise current protocol on what happens when there is a positive case.  It can’t be auto shutdown of the entire team for two weeks for all exposed.  It’s going to have to include a positive or negative test to quarantine or release.  Which means the local Dr that works with the schools better get ready to Covid test on a weekly basis.  Teams can survive a week or two without 1-5 players but they can’t go two weeks without practicing or playing and compete.  Lots of tough decisions are going to have to be made by end of the month.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:41 PM, MavGrad99 said:

In essence it could be like Mono as well.  Sam Darnold had that last year, what does he do after 3 weeks off from it.  Comes out like an All Pro with 338 yards passing, two TD's, and 1 Int. in a surprising win (or at least I thought so against the Dallas Cowboys).  You can even die from it, but it is rare.  I remember a few teammates that came down with Mono in the 80's, and it knocked them out for a month.  Darnold was able to recover in three weeks.  Everything you stated above makes me wonder why we are so afraid of this virus, except that it's something that we haven't seen before, and are trying to learn about.  

On 7/1/2020 at 8:19 PM, ctown81 said:

Well then we certainly need to cancel all sports then because the death rate from Flu and the fact that even young kids are vulnerable to it are putting granny and grandpa at risk not to even mention the kids.   Everyone should just stay at home until the first Wednesday in November when miraculously this pandemic will vanish into thin air.  

The fact that the CDC has already removed the "Epidemic" status from this trainwreck should tell you all that you need to know.

9 minutes ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

Look at Test Scores in every big city in Texas.

And then what? What do those standardized test scores tell you? What do you do with that data? How do you address that data? Are you equipped to analyze that data? Do those scores tell you much about the student? Do they dive into the students' home life? Structure in place outside of school? Stressors both inside and outside of school? Extracurricular involvement? Social and familial responsibilities? Level of instruction received at school? Level of one-on-one instruction at school? Amount of autonomy given over their own education? Do they expose the type of effective instruction the student is responsive to? Can you look at test scores and see instructional growth or just some snapshots? Do those test scores show how poorly technology integration and blended learning are infused into our inner city schools? Do they demonstrate why literacy rates are lower at inner city schools, or are they simply money-grabbing tools that highlight an issue that's been known for generations while not offering any sort of empirical evidence/data that can be utilized towards a practical solution?

The fact that we still use standardized tests in this country as any sort of instructional piece is astounding. So move your lazy-@$$ take along somewhere else.

9 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

And then what? What do those standardized test scores tell you? What do you do with that data? How do you address that data? Are you equipped to analyze that data? Do those scores tell you much about the student? Do they dive into the students' home life? Structure in place outside of school? Stressors both inside and outside of school? Extracurricular involvement? Social and familial responsibilities? Level of instruction received at school? Level of one-on-one instruction at school? Amount of autonomy given over their own education? Do they expose the type of effective instruction the student is responsive to? Can you look at test scores and see instructional growth or just some snapshots? Do those test scores show how poorly technology integration and blended learning are infused into our inner city schools? Do they demonstrate why literacy rates are lower at inner city schools, or are they simply money-grabbing tools that highlight an issue that's been known for generations while not offering any sort of empirical evidence/data that can be utilized towards a practical solution?

The fact that we still use standardized tests in this country as any sort of instructional piece is astounding. So move your lazy-@$$ take along somewhere else.

Ok I stand corrected.   The newspaper stories alone of the stellar job that Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are doing with their schools is just STAGGERING.

Oh wait.  It's not.

I am not a fan of standardized testing.  But it does do things like show whether or not kids can read or count.  And the vast majority of inner city school kids are woefully unprepared for life as an adult.  Where being able to read and count is kind of important.

I can list you a BUNCH of reason why the big city districts are garbage.   For starters what the amount of money they spend not directly related to the classroom is disgusting.  For that matter the big city districts spend more than places like say..... Celina for example,   how is that investment paying off?   DISD alone has had MULTIPLE people go to prison for things like stealing from the district.  But if you want to make the case that they are doing a great job be my guest.  The number of Charter Schools alone that have LONG waiting lists to get in so that kids have a chance at a decent education is astounding.  As far as me moving anything "somewhere else?"  Blow it out your ear poindexter.  Stay on the short bus and don't forget your hockey helmet.  You can't fade the heat of another blow to the head.  You don't like what I have to say move it on down the road and don't read my posts.  The fact that you can probably means you did not go to an inner city school or if you did you were able to get into a Charter School.

2 minutes ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

Ok I stand corrected.   The newspaper stories alone of the stellar job that Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are doing with their schools is just STAGGERING.

Oh wait.  It's not.

I can list you a BUNCH of reason why the big city districts are garbage.   For starters what the amount of money they spend not directly related to the classroom is disgusting.   DISD alone has had MULTIPLE people go to prison for things like stealing from the district.  But if you want to make the case that they are doing a great job be my guest.  The number of Charter Schools alone that have LONG waiting lists to get in so that kids have a chance at a decent education is astounding.  As far as me moving anything "somewhere else?"  Blow it out your ear poindexter.  Stay on the short bus and don't forget your hockey helmet.  You can't fade the heat of another blow to the head.

I don't know how you somehow drew a conclusion that I think big-city school districts are doing a "good job" or providing an ample level of instruction. Because I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. My rant about standardized test scores as any sort of practical measurement highlights issues with big-city districts, and specifically inner-city schools. I work in education and am a strong advocate against standardized tests of any kind both at the state and national levels, and anytime someone references "test scores" as a meaningful way to analyze a student's intelligence/education level, it makes my blood boil instantly. These tests are nothing but a money-grab disservice to the students, the teachers and the schools that incentivize benchmark "goals" while pigeon-holing students based on results without addressing the shortfalls and actually equipping the students with the tools to become lifelong learners and productive members of society.

And excellent reference to handicapped/special needs individuals with your short-bus comment, BillyClyde. Top shelf.