Consequences of no football this fall

Mavchamp

I want football. 

i just understand why there might not be. 

No ISD wants blood on their hands. 

Its a no- win situation. 

If we play... they get crucified by those that think they are signing  death warrants. 

If we don’t play they get crucified by those that think this isn’t real. 

The truth is actually in the middle of those two extremes.   

• Like 1

Some good news coming from pediatric experts that could lead to some normalcy this fall:  

“Science and facts, and not fear or threats, must guide our choices. Recent recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics for in-person reopening of schools in the are based on the documented benefits of school for children and their families, as well as the understanding that coronavirus is a very different disease in children than in adults. The data consistently show that children are less likely to be symptomatic from Covid-19 or to develop complications. Children also seem less likely to become infected with SARS-CoV2, the virus that causes Covid-19 when exposed.

And there is no question that school is good for children, not only for their education, but also for their development and their mental and physical health. It is also a place where many children receive health care provided by school nurses and physicians, receive nutritious meals and where abuse and neglect are often first detected.

Link for the entire article and the info from the American Academy of Pediatrics

https://apple.news/A7_65dGphQay-kTEsw46VRg

I remain cautiously optimistic for football. 

It may not be like any other season in history.  But I think it’ll happen.  In sow form or another. 

But my medical background keeps me from losing my mind if they cancel.  There are strong arguments for both sides.   I’ll accept both. 

That could all change in how we handle this surge. 

40 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Some good news coming from pediatric experts that could lead to some normalcy this fall:  

“Science and facts, and not fear or threats, must guide our choices. Recent recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics for in-person reopening of schools in the are based on the documented benefits of school for children and their families, as well as the understanding that coronavirus is a very different disease in children than in adults. The data consistently show that children are less likely to be symptomatic from Covid-19 or to develop complications. Children also seem less likely to become infected with SARS-CoV2, the virus that causes Covid-19 when exposed.

And there is no question that school is good for children, not only for their education, but also for their development and their mental and physical health. It is also a place where many children receive health care provided by school nurses and physicians, receive nutritious meals and where abuse and neglect are often first detected.

Link for the entire article and the info from the American Academy of Pediatrics

https://apple.news/A7_65dGphQay-kTEsw46VRg

I can see maybe not beginning Pre-K to 1st Grade.  Some would say until puberty when hormones kick in to boost the immune system.  However, I wanted to do some more fact checking, and while my research isn't even close to becoming complete on this topic it could in the coming weeks.  One thing I'm learning about this virus is you can't take everything you read even by experts as being completely accurate.  This virus continues to mutate and evolve.  The one plus for opening schools is the death rate is extremely rare.  When I saw this graph, it makes me think we're way over the hump, and not even a second wave of this virus being deadly.  We are in a second wave of infections, but as shown by many meme's we have seen the death rate has returned to February levels for all age groups.  From the graph it shows that deaths peaked for those 74 years and younger on April 11.  For those 75 years and older on April 18.  https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex  .  Unless the death rate begins turning up again, I am even less concerned about this virus.  

If the death rate does not begin increasing and it has virtually remained flat for those ages 0-24 years as well as those from 35-44 years of age then I see no reason to cancel school except for teachers with health issues or age or to not play football.  With that being said, some will still contract the virus just as we all come down with various illnesses especially being in close contact with each other in schools.  This is where I see the biggest problem with school's reopening.  1.  In between classes when you have hundreds of students rushing to lockers or to other classes in hallways.  2.  Lunch period when trying to feed hundreds to thousands of students could prove difficult unless they took their lunches outside.  i only know of how a few schools layouts are, and there would be logistics involved on how to keep the hallways clear for social distancing as well as movement to where each student needs to be for their assigned courses or lunch breaks.  I have a few friends that are teachers, and they are already attempting to get their classrooms in order to accommodate their classes for the students they have.  I don't know if it can be done, because they've expressed their frustration on facebook in recent days on how they can accomplish it.  Some of these teachers are putting in a lot of effort by the photos they have shared of their preparing for classes already.  

One thing Lufkin ISD did this summer was spend $600K on new air conditioning filtration systems for every Lufkin campus. Similar to the same filtration systems used in hospitals and commercial airlines. They filter out toxins and germs at the highest level, circulating pure clean air back into the classrooms.  A local A/C contractor did the work, so the school money stayed in our community.  Great investment IMO.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 6:03 PM, Mavchamp said:

I agree that there is some fear-mongering going on...... no one can deny that....

But let's think about this for a second.  Let's put some humanity to the data.

Currently there have been about 130,000 COVID deaths in the USA since March. 

As best as I can find....the teen pediatric death rate has been listed around 0.04%

That equals 52 nationwide.  I'll be the FIRST to admit that's a small number.

Now.... make yourself administrator possibly making decision..... school/no school.  Football/no football.  Of course....we don't know if they catch it at Walmart or at football practice.  There is no way to know.... but increased possible exposure leads to increased possible infection.

No ISD wants blood on their hands.  No Supt, no AD, not the UIL, not the TEA.....  WHY?

While that 0.04% seems TINY.... it's not zero.... that 0.04 is 52 broken families.  That's 52 schools that get rocked to their core.  That's 52 communities that have to wonder if it was worth it.  

Carthage fans....... are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Gilmer fans....... are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Sabine fans....are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Insert any ISD......

I understand the hesitation.  

I know it's a really small percentage... and a really small number in the grand scheme of things.... but it's not zero.  Those numbers lie about the devastation they represent.   

I want football.

But wouldn't want a kid's blood on my hands over it.

No one does.

I don't think they are being cowards.  I think they are being human.

JMHO

More kids die from car wrecks.  Shootings.  Flu.  Pneumonia.  Cancer.  Heck I bet Lightning strikes are way up there.  Drowning.  I could go on for quite awhile about the VERY long list of things kids are more at risk of than Corona.  

Lets cancel everything.  Keeping all kids at home from now on until they are 18 is obviously the only choice we have.  After all if we can save only one life isn't that what matters most?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

NJCAA moving fall sports schedule to spring

The National Junior Collegiate Athletic Association voted on Monday afternoon to move the fall sports schedule to the spring.

The move affected football, volleyball, soccer and the beginning of the men’s and women’s basketball seasons.

Basketball practices will begin on Jan. 11 before playing the season from Jan. 29-March 27.

Teams will be limited to a maximum of a 21-game regular season with the conference tournament to follow before championship play begins on April 19.

In addition to those sports, the junior college football season will begin on March 25 instead of the regular fall season.

“Our greatest focus is and always has been providing the best opportunities for our student-athletes,” Christopher Parker, NJCAA president and CEO said in a statement. “Through a unified effort from our Presidential Advisory Council, the Board of Regents, and leadership staff, our most recent plan of action provides a path that keeps our student-athletes competing at the highest level with proper safety measures in place. As we move forward as an association, we will continue to provide opportunities for our student-athletes, coaches, and all those involved with the NJCAA to be safe and successful.”

Josh Havard's email address is

[email protected].

On 7/9/2020 at 7:47 PM, Mavchamp said:

But the kids aren’t the ones making the decision.  

If you were the one making the decisions for a state... or an ISD.... would you be OK with saying yes knowing the possible consequence?  

I want football. 

But I don’t want to be the one making that decision.  I’m just saying I understand the hesitation. 

The parents and students should get to make that decision. No one is forcing anybody to play that doesn’t feel like taking those risks. People already make the decision on a daily basis when they get in their car and drive down the road as others have pointed out. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

NJCAA moving fall sports schedule to spring

The National Junior Collegiate Athletic Association voted on Monday afternoon to move the fall sports schedule to the spring.

The move affected football, volleyball, soccer and the beginning of the men’s and women’s basketball seasons.

Basketball practices will begin on Jan. 11 before playing the season from Jan. 29-March 27.

Teams will be limited to a maximum of a 21-game regular season with the conference tournament to follow before championship play begins on April 19.

In addition to those sports, the junior college football season will begin on March 25 instead of the regular fall season.

“Our greatest focus is and always has been providing the best opportunities for our student-athletes,” Christopher Parker, NJCAA president and CEO said in a statement. “Through a unified effort from our Presidential Advisory Council, the Board of Regents, and leadership staff, our most recent plan of action provides a path that keeps our student-athletes competing at the highest level with proper safety measures in place. As we move forward as an association, we will continue to provide opportunities for our student-athletes, coaches, and all those involved with the NJCAA to be safe and successful.”

Josh Havard's email address is

[email protected].

On 7/9/2020 at 7:03 PM, Mavchamp said:

I agree that there is some fear-mongering going on...... no one can deny that....

But let's think about this for a second.  Let's put some humanity to the data.

Currently there have been about 130,000 COVID deaths in the USA since March. 

As best as I can find....the teen pediatric death rate has been listed around 0.04%

That equals 52 nationwide.  I'll be the FIRST to admit that's a small number.

Now.... make yourself administrator possibly making decision..... school/no school.  Football/no football.  Of course....we don't know if they catch it at Walmart or at football practice.  There is no way to know.... but increased possible exposure leads to increased possible infection.

No ISD wants blood on their hands.  No Supt, no AD, not the UIL, not the TEA.....  WHY?

While that 0.04% seems TINY.... it's not zero.... that 0.04 is 52 broken families.  That's 52 schools that get rocked to their core.  That's 52 communities that have to wonder if it was worth it.  

Carthage fans....... are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Gilmer fans....... are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Sabine fans....are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Insert any ISD......

I understand the hesitation.  

I know it's a really small percentage... and a really small number in the grand scheme of things.... but it's not zero.  Those numbers lie about the devastation they represent.   

I want football.

But wouldn't want a kid's blood on my hands over it.

No one does.

I don't think they are being cowards.  I think they are being human.

JMHO

How many kids have died while playing football.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Olduy said:

I read that Fort Bend County and CyFair schools have cancelled fall sports

They are also not opening back up on time, and will hold virtual classes to start the year.  They do plan on gradually returning students to classroms.  I tried to find a list of all Texas school districts that plan on going this route, but I do know this is correct.  

Another issue with going online only that hasn’t been addressed a whole lot is what about the families that can’t afford daycare? Plus I would imagine daycare’s will be full and turning people away. Yea some mom’s will be home and be available to assist their children, but many won’t. So what will that look like? Going to be a lot of unsupervised kids that need supervision. Going to be a lot of “babysitting” of kids in groups at grandparents, neighbors houses or wherever. Some of these environments will be much LESS SAFE for the kids than being at school. 

If it were a guarantee that going online only and dropping extra curricular activities was going to save lives and the negative effects would be minimal, everyone would be on board, but the evidence just isn’t there for either case. 

• Thanks 1

It reminds me of the fearmongering conducted by the Dubya Bush administration about Saddam's "weapons of mass destruction" in the leadup to the Iraq War.

That was effective also. People will fall for just about anything once the media megaphones of the six major corporations that control most of the news outlets is trained upon the issue at hand.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

No Friday night lights will have a huge impact on Stoney’s waistline. No concession stand food means Stoney will have to go to the big city for food or shudder, cook my own meals.

Will have a huge impact on any politician supporting it when 2022 rolls around too......ask Mark White.......