Consequences of no football this fall

Mavchamp

On 7/3/2020 at 2:03 PM, PackAttack said:

You realize the Lufkin football revenue goes into the school general fund. So, football does produce 1/4th of the  entire athletic budget for all of Lufkin ISD.  That includes all elementary , middle school and high school athletics.   You will find it does for most school districts.  That is $246,000 that are not tax dollars spent.   I am sure Longview's football revenue is much higher, because they have had great playoff success these past few years.   You might check them out too.   Tyler Schools??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/2017/07/15/an-inside-look-at-the-finances-behind-hs-football-in-the-dallas-area/%3foutputType=amp

Most high school football programs run a deficit. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but in general, they run a loss.

10 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I can see that in cities with multiple teams in an ISD but not in small towns. Stadiums are packed to the breaking point on Friday nights. We love our teams and there’s not much else to do other than that. Coach Abron told me when he was at SS they played a Rockwall team. SS traveled well and had a nice crowd. The Rockwall side had about 20 or so fans. He said he felt bad for opposing teams players. 

What is not looked at when people talk about money being brought is coaches stipends and salaries. Let’s say a small town sells out their 2500 seat stadium, $5.00 a head, no passes, no senior discounts and no student passes. 5 home games a year. $62,500 brought in ticket. That hasn’t paid the AD.

49 minutes ago, Dawgman said:

The loss of games will hurt the boosters for fund raising. 

HS football helps with the cost, but it does not cover the cost in most cases. 

Look bigger.  If no football there won’t be anything else in the fall which means the budget requirements will be less.

True

16 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Look bigger.  If no football there won’t be anything else in the fall which means the budget requirements will be less.

True to a certain degree. Coaches will still receive their stipends so that money still comes out of the budget. 

Districts could lose money if they cancel fall sports and students decide not to return to school. Either go private school or a homeschool model. Enrollment declines and funding declines.

There is no price tag you can put on a quality athletic program. It’s why districts will fund them. Athletics for the school district is not a money maker. Athletics for booster clubs are a money maker. Great booster clubs supplement where the districts fall short in funding.

3 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

My wife was president of our athletic booster club for 3 years. Decided to step down after this year. We made the majority of our money during the spring hosting track meets. Football was good but we get stuck with the visitor side. Band BC gets home side. That always made me mad as hell. It’s an athletic event. Band parents are something else. 

Lol so true on the band. Host a couple of well run meets and track is a money maker 

On 7/3/2020 at 4:35 PM, cotton84 said:

Non school football - the cost would be too much for most parents(helmets, shoulder pads, cleats, uniform, etc......plus footing the bill to pay for a field)......most schools would not allow a select team on their field.  

People spend a lot of money on their kids sports so I don’t think cost will be that big of a prohibition 

On 7/5/2020 at 12:17 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

My wife was president of our athletic booster club for 3 years. Decided to step down after this year. We made the majority of our money during the spring hosting track meets. Football was good but we get stuck with the visitor side. Band BC gets home side. That always made me mad as hell. It’s an athletic event. Band parents are something else. 

Band blows! They provide the least and demand the most with a cry of how noble band camp is. Lol 

• LOL! 1
  • Stinks 1

4 hours ago, TheShadowKnows said:

Band blows! They provide the least and demand the most with a cry of how noble band camp is. Lol 

I've heard what happens this one time at band camp, and they want to put boys and girls camping together with the scouting program.  Some of the things I heard would put any R rated teen movie look tame.  

• LOL! 1

Overwhelming majority attend school just for the extracurricular activities. School attendance decreases when the sport is over. Ftball is essential to get kids to school and the sport requires them to learn so they can stay eligible to play.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:17 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

HEY! HEY! HEY! I’m a band parent! Watch it there blondie, before I have to channel my inner Shawn Michaels and kick the dye out of your roots! 

5 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Good grief we are in the end times. I get 💩 on for a band joke on a  forum about football in the great state of Texas!!!!!

Lol I mean I think trueblue was just giving it right back to you

No one loves HSFB more than me!   

But it’s just not the same without the band. No atmosphere... no pep.  Abd makes halftime feel like it’s 3 hours long. 

Bring on the band!   

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2020 at 12:04 PM, Mavchamp said:

There’s an interesting conversation happening on twitter about this.   Thought I’d bring it here. 

Let’s say UIL cancels football this fall.  What would that mean?  

would alternate leagues form?

Would we see club/elite football explode like we’ve seen with select baseball, AAU basketball, and select soccer?  

These are all real concerns for coaches of those sports.   Could football fall into that trap? 

There would be safety and medical concerns for non UIL football.   Would those leagues and select teams protect players like the UIL? 

What about the loss of coaching and athletic training expertise?   It’s in place for UIL schools. Would it for alternatives?  

End of the day...... kids are going to play football this fall.  One way or another.  in the sandlot, on a travel/select team, or in a pop up league.  

Wouldnt it just be better if UIL proceeds normally and let each district decide if they participate or not based on their communities’s health?  

thoughts??? 

The consequences is the💰💰💰💰💰

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

No one loves HSFB more than me!   

But it’s just not the same without the band. No atmosphere... no pep.  Abd makes halftime feel like it’s 3 hours long. 

Bring on the band!   

I get what you’re saying and agree with it but would you still feel the same way if bands counted against 50% capacity (if it came to that)?

I feel like I would still want bands there. Music, sound, drum lines....... surely would be better than half full bleachers with half of them either scrolling through Facebook or gossiping about who’s sleeping with who and not even paying attention to game. 

• Thanks 1