Governor and Commissioner Cede Control

Coach0001

With the Governor and Commissioner of Education giving every local health official the power over each counties ISD's 

I think that is the final nail in the fall sports season. Travis County has already mandated no in person instruction and no sports until Sept 7th 

The state will have quiet the hodgepodge of things going on.

36 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

With the Governor and Commissioner of Education giving every local health official the power over each counties ISD's 

I think that is the final nail in the fall sports season. Travis County has already mandated no in person instruction and no sports until Sept 7th 

The state will have quiet the hodgepodge of things going on.

That’s what, week 5/6 till first games can be played?

53 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

For real. I haven’t seen a little league baseball game shut down yet.

Dixie just finished 13U state tournament and getting ready to finish 14U......... and that’s Dixie. All the AAU baseball hasn’t skipped a beat and same with hoops. TBH it’s kinda frustrating but at the same time has a oh well feel. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Dixie just finished 13U state tournament and getting ready to finish 14U......... and that’s Dixie. All the AAU baseball hasn’t skipped a beat and same with hoops. TBH it’s kinda frustrating but at the same time has a oh well feel. 

Very frustrating. They won’t be the ones who have to make sacrifices. It will be the high schools where sports actually matter.

13 minutes ago, Olduy said:

Stick a fork in this season.    It’s done!

I think for the most part it does.  I wonder if they will still crown a State Champion if some schools do open up their athletic facilities and field teams.  I know many counties in West Texas weren't even touched by the virus yet, and they could field teams if their local officials allowed them to.   

41 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Very frustrating. They won’t be the ones who have to make sacrifices. It will be the high schools where sports actually matter.

Flip side to that all sports matter for all ages. It’ll hurt high school sports, maybe......... but age doesn’t matter IMO. 

I guess I’m confused how this means no sports. Leaving it up to the districts makes more sense to me because not all areas of the state are being hit as hard. Now we just need the districts to realize it’s okay to allow the kids and their families to make the choice to participate or not. I personally don’t think any of the districts should shut down, but districts in Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Austin etc would make much more sense to have more restrictions than more rural areas. Don’t give in to the cowards that are pushing the cancel culture. Write and talk to your superintendents, board members, etc and tell them to take a stand for the kids and let them play! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t have an issue at all with them ceding control.  If counties, ISDs, or schools don’t take the field then so be it...let everyone who does fight it out for the state title...it might allow some schools go deeper than ever and some kids get seen that may otherwise get missed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I don’t have an issue at all with them ceding control.  If counties, ISDs, or schools don’t take the field then so be it...let everyone who does fight it out for the state title...it might allow some schools go deeper than ever and some kids get seen that may otherwise get missed...

And wouldn’t it be a shame if around half the schools in the state played a normal football season with no disastrous effects from COVID? I’m ready to play. I have a senior twirler. This is my last chance to see her and her friends and classmates perform under the Friday night lights. And I don’t want to do football with the “social distancing” BS. Part of the greatness of Texas high school football is the atmosphere of a packed stadium. It’s gonna suck for those kids that have performed in front of full crowds for three years to look up and see the stands with people scattered apart. Enough is enough. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Vernon said:

I guess I’m confused how this means no sports. Leaving it up to the districts makes more sense to me because not all areas of the state are being hit as hard. Now we just need the districts to realize it’s okay to allow the kids and their families to make the choice to participate or not. I personally don’t think any of the districts should shut down, but districts in Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Austin etc would make much more sense to have more restrictions than more rural areas. Don’t give in to the cowards that are pushing the cancel culture. Write and talk to your superintendents, board members, etc and tell them to take a stand for the kids and let them play! 

+1000

10 hours ago, kingwolf said:

4 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

And wouldn’t it be a shame if around half the schools in the state played a normal football season with no disastrous effects from COVID? I’m ready to play. I have a senior twirler. This is my last chance to see her and her friends and classmates perform under the Friday night lights. And I don’t want to do football with the “social distancing” BS. Part of the greatness of Texas high school football is the atmosphere of a packed stadium. It’s gonna #### for those kids that have performed in front of full crowds for three years to look up and see the stands with people scattered apart. Enough is enough. 

Too bad the ones making the decisions do not use the same common sense as the 2 of you & Vernon!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

And wouldn’t it be a shame if around half the schools in the state played a normal football season with no disastrous effects from COVID? I’m ready to play. I have a senior twirler. This is my last chance to see her and her friends and classmates perform under the Friday night lights. And I don’t want to do football with the “social distancing” BS. Part of the greatness of Texas high school football is the atmosphere of a packed stadium. It’s gonna #### for those kids that have performed in front of full crowds for three years to look up and see the stands with people scattered apart. Enough is enough. 

Serious question. If the call was made that sports, band could go on without fans in attendance, would you be for it? 
****Disclaimer**** I have not heard this is an option, I just want to hear what people think.

11 hours ago, kingwolf said:

You really think UIL will sanction anything with it varying from area to area depending on the Health Officials in the area?

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/07/14/coronavirus-covid-deaths-among-children-and-reopening-schools-14909

As we debate the pros and cons of reopening public schools in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, there are multiple factors that must be considered prior to making a decision.

There are three different population groups whose safety we must worry about: School kids, faculty and staff, and children's families back home. They each face a different set of risks, some of which are in direct conflict with each other. Let's consider the students, first.

2 hours ago, Airitout1 said:

Just fyi.  I started a thread and referenced that study about schools reopening.  Decent discussion and some pretty good links referenced if interested.

• Thanks 1