Week One: Longview vs Temple

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Temple Wildcats (0-0)  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Temple in a close one
    • Temple in a blow out
    • COVID in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2020 at 12:30 AM

36 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Do you really think Meredith is the best RB in East Texas?, because there are a few others who could be in that category too.

Looking at 247 Sports, Tyler Legacy's Bryson Donnell (3 offers) and Jamarion Miller( 10 offers) are both ranked ahead of Meredith (17 offers).  They are both also ranked ahead of Lufkin's Caleb Berry (20 offers) too, who is verbally committed to Washington., and Berry is rated a few decimal points in front of Meredith.   Look, All are excellent RBs who will be big contributors toward their teams success this year.   

When I gauge whose the best...I dont go solely based on offers because offers arent always a reliable way of knowing who is better than who.

So much goes into offers outside of pure talent, making it a bit watered down.

Offers and rankings do show who is talented, but not necessarily who is better talent.

Berry-Meredith is prime example. Berry started getting offers before Meredith, despite Meredith being way more productive on the field. Meredith has been outplaying Berry since Meredith was at Judson and Berry was at LMS. But Berry is 6'2, so he got offered earlier.

The rankings can be a bit mythical to me. Not always, but most of the time.

I'll tell you what isnt mythical, someone running for 300+ in a game. Accomplishments on the field are straight up earned. And only one of those backs was All-State a year ago. Kaden Meredith.

All of those dudes can play though. But if you want me to choose whose best, Meredith.

Heck, Jamarion Miller is rated 4 star but ask most people around the Legacy program....Bryson Donnell is slightly better than him.

I'm honestly not sure how Berry is rated slightly higher than Meredith tbh.

Other than having seen both since youth and Meredith just straight up being a better talent...

Berry's best year was 874 rushing yards and 15 TDs in 2019.

Meredith had 800 rushing yards and 12 TDs his sophomore year alone...and that's with being a 3rd string back in an offense that passed for 4,000 yards. He only did it in 71 carries to Berry's 150+.

Of course, Meredith was eyeing Lobo rushing records on his way to an all state performance in 2019. 1 of only 3 Lobo RBs ever to have a 300+ rushing performance in a game. Fred Talley one of the other two. And he can still break records this year.

Well, I don't have an answer for you either. However, Lufkin's style of offensive line play does not make it conducive for big running numbers, except in leap years. Like last year, when they played 10 different guys in combinations on the line and never really found anything that worked.  Wish Rex Hadnot was OLC.  Anyway, in the end, they were just not that good.  Berry missed a couple games last year and those 874 yards in 2019 were hard earned and mostly on his effort.  

Hopefully we get to see these kids run all year, they are worth the watch.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2020 at 3:41 PM, ANTI said:

Same for Longview.

The two super sophomores Landyn Grant (6'3 191) and Jordan Allen (6'1 170) are gonna share time.

As for game prediction, give me something similar to last year. 38-7 Longview.

That's a BIG prediction after what I saw last Thursday, but you know this team and its talent better than I do.  I could go with that score if this team gels during the game...if they make the same mistakes and the secondary doesn't come together, then give me Lobos 35-24...

20 hours ago, Gametyme said:

If Longview gets the play action pass going that will lead to some big plays. Temple has to stay disciplined in that department and if Temple can't stop the run then the flood gates could open up. I'm banking on they will be much better up front vs the run this go around at least I hope so lol

I definitely want to see the Temple front 7 if they are as good as you say they are...I thought our O-line had some trouble with the TH d-line so they definitely need to be tested early and often this predistrict schedule...What I can tell you is that Texas high tackled really well in the second level...if Temple can't do that, then it will be a long night...several times Meredith and others were a step away...

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

I'm honestly not sure how Berry is rated slightly higher than Meredith tbh.

Other than having seen both since youth and Meredith just straight up being a better talent...

Berry's best year was 874 rushing yards and 15 TDs in 2019.

Meredith had 800 rushing yards and 12 TDs his sophomore year alone...and that's with being a 3rd string back in an offense that passed for 4,000 yards. He only did it in 71 carries to Berry's 150+.

Of course, Meredith was eyeing Lobo rushing records on his way to an all state performance in 2019. 1 of only 3 Lobo RBs ever to have a 300+ rushing performance in a game. Fred Talley one of the other two. And he can still break records this year.

Meredith is definitely a beast and I hope he gets all he deserves and more this year....if Longview goes deep in the playoffs it will because he has one of the best years in the history of the program....BUT, my only concern is can he stay healthy and take the pounding that is coming....

5 hours ago, kingwolf said:

That's a BIG prediction after what I saw last Thursday, but you know this team and its talent better than I do.  I could go with that score if this team gels during the game...if they make the same mistakes and the secondary doesn't come together, then give me Lobos 35-24...

My more conservative scoreline would go about what '85 said, something like 28-17.

I pretty much laid out what would've transpired if that score came about.

Temple puts pressure, pressure, pressure on those sophomore QBs, causing a few mistakes...getting good field position from bobbled snaps or fumbles. Perhaps maybe picks. I mean mistakes are gonna be expected from Grant/Allen. Opening up your career on national TV, at AT&T as a sophomore QB is pressure in itself.

Not expecting either to come out and toss the ball for 200+. If they do, that'll be very impressive and bad news for Temple.

You know we're due at least a muffed punt the first game, simply because we often have the wrong person back there the first week. If our PR is gonna be who it was the other night, and throughout fall camp...a mistake is expected Friday night lol

I just think our defense and Meredith/Haynes are the difference in this matchup. If our QBs are on, this one will get blown wide open because the pass catchers on this team are some of the best we've had as a group. Just a matter of getting the ball to them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Pigskin Prep has Longview by 14

I think that's pretty fair overall.

As I said on 6A, I think both of these teams will be far better teams near the end of the regular season than they will be on Friday.

18 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I definitely want to see the Temple front 7 if they are as good as you say they are...I thought our O-line had some trouble with the TH d-line so they definitely need to be tested early and often this predistrict schedule...What I can tell you is that Texas high tackled really well in the second level...if Temple can't do that, then it will be a long night...several times Meredith and others were a step away...

I think that's the big question for Temple is the back end. Can Longviews sophomore QBs play consistent enough in the pass game to open it up. I dont know it's hard to gauge a scrimmage lol. I think Texas High and College Station are both going to be really good teams this year we probably agree on that. Of course what I'm looking forward to the most is how well Mikal will plays off script on the move this game. He can take it 70 at anytime and I do expect him to really put pressure on the Longview defense in the RPO game. With that said he is still a 15 year old kid going against one of the top programs in Texas so not expecting him to play flawless. Now my closing argument lol. I talked to several coaches last year that told me that LB you guys had last year was the best they had ever seen on film at the HS level. How much of an impact will that have replacing a player like that. I think we all agree Longview probably has more talent but I think it's close enough and young enough to make for a really interesting game. 

3 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

I talked to several coaches last year that told me that LB you guys had last year was the best they had ever seen on film at the HS level. How much of an impact will that have replacing a player like that. I think we all agree Longview probably has more talent but I think it's close enough and young enough to make for a really interesting game. 

Whoever you talked to, knows football. lol

Tyshawn Taylor is the best Mike LB I've ever seen with my own two eyes wear that Lobo uniform...and that includes dudes that played at P5 schools. Never saw a LB react and attack the backfield the way he did. And of course, he caused the fumble that led to Longview bringing home the title in 2018 and should've gotten defensive MVP in that game. Miraculously would've been a 4-5 star LB if he was 6'0+. Glad the JUCO schools took notice.

Anyway, you can't replace Tyshawn. But we do have another good LB unit. 

A big question that I have about Temple, who replaces WR Quentin Johnston? He was perhaps the lone bright spot for them in the matchup last season. Caught some decent gainers. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Whoever you talked to, knows football. lol

Tyshawn Taylor is the best Mike LB I've ever seen with my own two eyes wear that Lobo uniform...and that includes dudes that played at P5 schools. Never saw a LB react and attack the backfield the way he did. And of course, he caused the fumble that led to Longview bringing home the title in 2018 and should've gotten defensive MVP in that game. Miraculously would've been a 4-5 star LB if he was 6'0+. Glad the JUCO schools took notice.

Anyway, you can't replace Tyshawn. But we do have another good LB unit. 

A big question that I have about Temple, who replaces WR Quentin Johnston? He was perhaps the lone bright spot for them in the matchup last season. Caught some decent gainers. 

Agree at 6'0 he's probably got over 30 offers. It's sad kids like that get over looked. I have no doubt he could had played some type of nickleback at a power 5. As for replacing Quentin Johnston the current #1 WR is AJ McDuffey a Texas Southern commit. Good certainly not the force QJ was. Luke Allen is another good slot WR. He went 11.1 in the 100m last year before covid. They both caught TDs in the scrimmage last week. So to answer the question it's going to have to be WR by committee this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I feel like we muff more punts than any team. 

And it's because of simple personnel choosing majority of the time. We just stick a random corner back there,almost never stick offensive players back there. I remember in 2018...I was almost begging and hoping the staff would let Jephaniah Lister return punts because earlier in the year...had another corner back there (as usual lol) and he wasn't cutting it. Eventually, they put Lister back there and wouldn't you know it....he was a beast.  

Here's five names that I wouldn't mind returning punts (outside of Meredith or Jalen Hale, but we know that'll never happen lol)

- JR WR Dekalon Taylor

- SR S Shannon Jackson II (former big time RB)

- Soph WR Amarian Hamilton

- JR RB Ladaylon Jackson

- SR WR CJ Hopkins

And none of those guys are currently returning the punts. lol its yet again another corner. So, I'm almost looking forward to muffed punts until one of the guys above is given an opportunity. Tyree Hale can be dangerous with the ball in his hands too and returned punts the 2nd half of 2019. Just doesn't always field the ball well consistently.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

Here's five names that I wouldn't mind returning punts (outside of Meredith or Jalen Hale, but we know that'll never happen lol)

I find this fascinating. Hale back there would be logical imo. Why do you think we'll never see it?

8 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I find this fascinating. Hale back there would be logical imo. Why do you think we'll never see it?

Cause historically, our best skill players never get a chance to return punts lol

Kick return is an entirely different story though.

• Like 1