UIL Medical Advisory Committee to hold emergency meeting in the morning

lionpride08

Just now, PantherNation2015 said:

No brainer

You would think, but several local schools have already had positive cases and have been non-chalant with their response. I see this as a warning shot for people to get their acts together.

Just now, Dawgman said:

You would think, but several local schools have already had positive cases and have been non-chalant with their response. I see this as a warning shot for people to get their acts together.

The parents should be the first to take the responsibility to ensure their child is retested with a negative result before leaving self isolation.  I would also think the primary physician the school works with should also be involved in the process to ensure the school and team are protected and protocols are followed.  If that isn’t happening the Supt should be in the middle of someone’s backside.

21 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

The parents should be the first to take the responsibility to ensure their child is retested with a negative result before leaving self isolation.  I would also think the primary physician the school works with should also be involved in the process to ensure the school and team are protected and protocols are followed.  If that isn’t happening the Supt should be in the middle of someone’s backside.

The flu is somewhere between 5 to 10 times more deadly for children.  I assume you have always felt at least as strongly about similar protocols for flu testing and clearance before participating in any extracurricular activities.  After all, we are talking about the safety of the children.

As of Saturday (July 22, 2020), 36 children under 15 have died from COVID-19, about 0.03 percent of all coronavirus deaths at the time, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The flu, another contagious respiratory illness, killed an estimated 477 people under 17 years old in the 2018 – 2019 season, according to the CDC. From 2010 to the end of the 2019 flu season, the CDC said the illness killed an average of 511 children each year.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/flu-vs-covid-19-what-is-the-relative-risk-for-children

I am really tired of everyone drinking the Koolaid, there are more people committing suicide then this disease and that figure is going up daily.  It is time to try and get back to as normal a life as possible so that people will once again feel good about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  It is sad that we have allowed politics and the hatred of one man who has done so much good to help all people and reveal all of the problems that we have swept under the rug so many years.  We need a revival in all aspects of our lives so that we can shut down all of this foolishness.  I do not care what you believe, you have to believe that what is going on in a large part of our country is wrong.  These young men need sports to go on not because they are the be all end all for schools, not because they are more important then health and school, but because they give them a since of normalcy that these kids so desperately need right now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

The flu is somewhere between 5 to 10 times more deadly for children.  I assume you have always felt at least as strongly about similar protocols for flu testing and clearance before participating in any extracurricular activities.  After all, we are talking about the safety of the children.

As of Saturday (July 22, 2020), 36 children under 15 have died from COVID-19, about 0.03 percent of all coronavirus deaths at the time, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The flu, another contagious respiratory illness, killed an estimated 477 people under 17 years old in the 2018 – 2019 season, according to the CDC. From 2010 to the end of the 2019 flu season, the CDC said the illness killed an average of 511 children each year.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/flu-vs-covid-19-what-is-the-relative-risk-for-children

Your political views are overshadowing your common sense.  If you want to see high school football this fall, put your political position to bed and recognize that the rules governing THSF have changed.  Abide by the rules and we have a higher probability get to watch a full season of the game we love.  Do as you please and see how fast it comes back to bite all of us in the backside.

• Stinks 1

17 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Your political views are overshadowing your common sense.  If you want to see high school football this fall, put your political position to bed and recognize that the rules governing THSF have changed.  Abide by the rules and we have a higher probability get to watch a full season of the game we love.  Do as you please and see how fast it comes back to bite all of us in the backside.

A simple "no, I worry about what the msm tells me to worry about" would have sufficed.  As the poster above you stated, suicide is a much more pressing issue than covid.  As are vehicle accidents and the seasonal flu.  I think we should all do our part to get the word out.

I will abide by the rules that get us back to watching our kids play as much as possible.  But I also think we should ALL look at the covid issue with some perspective and do our part not to fan the flames unnecessarily.  Just giving you a hard time.  Best.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

A simple "no, I worry about what the msm tells me to worry about" would have sufficed.  As the poster above you stated, suicide is a much more pressing issue than covid.  As are vehicle accidents and the seasonal flu.  I think we should all do our part to get the word out.

I will abide by the rules that get us back to watching our kids play as much as possible.  But I also think we should ALL look at the covid issue with some perspective and do our part not to fan the flames unnecessarily.  Just giving you a hard time.  Best.

ObiOne - I have had Covid and recovered.  MSM and their portrayal of the virus has no bearing on my position.  Your argument is straight out of the political talking points memo.  Looking at this from an Admin or AD perspective, I would error on the side of caution and not cut corners on handling issues that are certain to arise in the days ahead.  So I fully support the requirement that if an athlete tests positive for Covid, they must be symptom free and provide a negative Covid test result administered by an approved medical facility or dr office to rejoin the team and resume participation.

10 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

I feel like as soon as a kid/athlete tests positive that physician should be able to notify the school. Everyone knows there will be some parents still trying to send their kid to school. 

Sounds a lot like how China operates.  We actually have privacy laws in the US.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

ObiOne - I have had Covid and recovered.  MSM and their portrayal of the virus has no bearing on my position.  Your argument is straight out of the political talking points memo.  Looking at this from an Admin or AD perspective, I would error on the side of caution and not cut corners on handling issues that are certain to arise in the days ahead.  So I fully support the requirement that if an athlete tests positive for Covid, they must be symptom free and provide a negative Covid test result administered by an approved medical facility or dr office to rejoin the team and resume participation.

I'm glad you recovered like 99+% of other folks did.  Children recover at an even higher rate.  I disagree that this one disease should be treated with a much higher level of scrutiny than other more dangerous diseases.  Why don't you feel as strongly about the flu?

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I rest my case, smh

37 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

I'm glad you recovered like 99+% of other folks did.  Children recover at an even higher rate.  I disagree that this one disease should be treated with a much higher level of scrutiny than other more dangerous diseases.  Why don't you feel as strongly about the flu?

Because we know much more about the flu and how to successfully treat it.  Plus we have had a vaccine out for years.  We are about 7 months in and are finding out we don’t know nearly as much as we thought we did about Covid.

5 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Because we know much more about the flu and how to successfully treat it.  Plus we have had a vaccine out for years.  We are about 7 months in and are finding out we don’t know nearly as much as we thought we did about Covid.

We know the flu is 5 to 10 times more lethal for children.  That is what we know after 7 months.  Yet the media focuses 1,000 times more on covid issues for children and you eat it up.  And you say my politics are overshadowing my common sense.  That is rich.

3 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

We know the flu is 5 to 10 times more lethal for children.  That is what we know after 7 months.  Yet the media focuses 1,000 times more on covid issues for children and you eat it up.  And you say my politics are overshadowing my common sense.  That is rich.

Obi - I’m a registered Republican.  I was quick to respond to the district poll asking about on-premise instruction.  I want my kids back in the classroom later this month.  I fully support extra-curricular activity participation this fall with the required safety protocols.  And I don’t watch MSM news coverage because it’s like a bad daytime soap opera.  Does it surprise you that I’m not a diehard Democrat.

21 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Obi - I’m a registered Republican.  I was quick to respond to the district poll asking about on-premise instruction.  I want my kids back in the classroom later this month.  I fully support extra-curricular activity participation this fall with the required safety protocols.  And I don’t watch MSM news coverage because it’s like a bad daytime soap opera.  Does it surprise you that I’m not a diehard Democrat.

It surprises me that you are so concerned about a disease that you would call for increased testing and protocols.  But would not call for at least the same urgency to a disease that is much more dangerous to children......even with a vaccine and proven medications.  I'm not sure how you justify the response to covid but downplay the flu.  I would understand if covid killed 10X more kids than the flu but through 7 months the results have been the opposite.

9 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

It surprises me that you are so concerned about a disease that you would call for increased testing and protocols.  But would not call for at least the same urgency to a disease that is much more dangerous to children......even with a vaccine and proven medications.  I'm not sure how you justify the response to covid but downplay the flu.  I would understand if covid killed 10X more kids than the flu but through 7 months the results have been the opposite.

I’m not calling for increased testing.  I‘m supporting the decision already made for an athlete who has previously tested positive for Covid to receive a negative test result before returning to normal activities.

5 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I’m not calling for increased testing.  I‘m supporting the decision already made for an athlete who has previously tested positive for Covid to receive a negative test result before returning to normal activities.

Got it👍.  Flu much more dangerous to kids but negative test not needed.  Sounds reasonable.