Ohio is weird

MrBuddyGarrity

1 hour ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Terrible districts or 4teams out of middle of nowhere will do that. 

The UIL is very bad now. I did like the '82-'89 years of 2 teams making the playoffs (but I didn't like how Dallas ISD had 6 team districts when Plano, Richardson, etc. had to play 8 team districts because I wanted that to be evened out better). 

I don't like the NFL but for years they could have played a regular season and then said everybody is now in a 32-team playoff, LOL. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

The problem with people hating four teams in the playoffs is that since they have put it in, the 4 seeds earn wins in every sport. 

If fourth-place teams didn't belong, they would lose all the time. They go one deep runs.

Looking at the 2019 football playoff brackets, 5A D1 Reg 3 Manor was the 4th place team out of D11 and made it to the Regional Finals.  They made it further than any other 4th place team in all classifications.  There were 2-3 3rd seeds to got the Regionals as well.

I don't really understand why we have this conversation every year.  So 4 teams make the playoffs?  Is that rewarding mediocrity?  They get the 1 seed from another district in round one.  I'm sure teams in other districts really like going 2-8 and then getting an extra game against Carthage, PG, Newton, etc. what a reward!!!  It's not like we are handing them a trophy for making the playoffs.  They still have to win 6 more games to be state champs, and if they do, who cares what their regular season record is?  That's the great thing about a playoff system.  It weeds out the ones who don't belong...

So let's get over the "Back in my day only 1 team went...".  I know you are bitter that you had one loss and didn't get to go to the playoffs.  Now kids don't have to go through that. And we have more football games to watch.  

On 8/13/2020 at 10:52 AM, JBizzle said:

I don't really understand why we have this conversation every year.  So 4 teams make the playoffs?  Is that rewarding mediocrity?  They get the 1 seed from another district in round one.  I'm sure teams in other districts really like going 2-8 and then getting an extra game against Carthage, PG, Newton, etc. what a reward!!!  It's not like we are handing them a trophy for making the playoffs.  They still have to win 6 more games to be state champs, and if they do, who cares what their regular season record is?  That's the great thing about a playoff system.  It weeds out the ones who don't belong...

So let's get over the "Back in my day only 1 team went...".  I know you are bitter that you had one loss and didn't get to go to the playoffs.  Now kids don't have to go through that. And we have more football games to watch.  

I agree.....to my knowledge no 4th place team has ever not shown up to play a district champion, even when playing the North Shores (or Katy's, Longview's, Aledo's, Cathage's, etc.), of the world, which leads me to believe those kids want to play that extra game. 

It's more football, even if it is ugly more often than not.

I think that those who complain are the ones who walked five miles to school..... in the snow...... barefooted. 🙄

• Like 1