The elephant in the room

trueblue82

I know we’ve kind of avoided talking about it, but it may be time to go ahead and discuss it. I said months ago that state leaders would never allow it to happen, and I still hold out hope that I may have been right. But, considering recent events in college football and the fact that it looks less and less likely that we may actually see football at that level this year, along with other states having already canceled or postponed their season, it looks like Texas could eventually do the same. If college football gets canceled, how long do you think it will be before the other shoe drops and Texas cancels high school football for 2020? 

• Sad 1

You will find out starting tomorrow.

Volleyball is going to begin playing games and if teams end up having to halt because of positive tests -- Team A has to stop and Team B because they played Team A on Tuesday, and then Team B played Team C on Thursday before Team A found out it had a positive test, and on and on.

If volleyball can find a way to play, it sets up for football. If volleyball can't, there's no way football gets going. It was promising that only one volleyball team and two football teams (the volleyball and the football being at the same school) during this past first week, unlike when strength and conditioning was allowed and every day a handful of schools had to shut down.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Yep, Big 10 voted to cancel their 2020 football season. The Pac 12, Big 12 and ACC will meet on Tuesday. Unfortunately. it has also started in Texas high school football. Ben Bolt, a 2A school near Corpus Christ, cancelled their season on Monday.

Ben Bolt has had financial problems as of late as well......Football may just be collateral damage for them.

• Like 1

Problem is College players are beginning to opt out for future financial possibilities. College presidents don't want to admit they need these players. If they admit it then that makes an athlete more valuable than just a student.....That would mean that College athletes would need to be compensated for their value. Thus College presidents would have to come off some of the major profits they make off these young adults....The whole system of amateur athletics is about to be overhauled.....

26 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

It’s almost for certain we will have Spring Football 

I just don’t understand this idea. We will just have COVID and the flu going around at that time making it even worse. Just seems like an excuse to kick the tough decision down the road and hope for a miracle. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Right now at this point, it's a better bet that the U I L might move all the 1A - 4A schools up to the same start times as 5A and 6A.  Then see what happens from there. 

What does that accomplish?  I don't see how dragging it our or kicking the can would be productive.

11 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

What does that accomplish?  I don't see how dragging it our or kicking the can would be productive.

Then don't kick the can, just scrap the whole season?   If you wait until spring, then you have another issue.  First, who the heck knows where COVID will be?  No guarantees, unless you know something different, because it's still going to be here.  Bank on it.    Second, if you have key HS seniors graduating early,  enrolling early in their college for spring ball, then teams may not have their better players to play a spring season.  Of course not all are able graduate early, but there is a significant number who do.    

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

Then don't kick the can, just scrap the whole season?   If you wait until spring, then you have another issue.  First, who the heck knows where COVID will be?  No guarantees, unless you know something different, because it's still going to be here.  Bank on it.    Second, if you have key HS seniors graduating early,  enrolling early in their college for spring ball, then teams may not have their better players to play a spring season.  Of course not all are able graduate early, but there is a significant number who do.    

Big school folks won’t get this, but playing football at the same time as basketball or baseball is not going to work for small schools. If a 2A has 24 kids out for varsity and JV hoops, 20 of them are football players. Same with baseball. Something has to give. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just play the season as the UIL has already set the schedule.  I don't see a need to change it.

• Like 3

We could cure covid if everyone on the whole planet held their breath for 30 minutes at the same time...lol.  Other than that, this stuff is probably here to stay. We might as well learn to live with it. Maybe we should open everything up, get back to work, get back to school and play the season. All with some extra precautions,  but how long do we plan on living in a bubble? It's not a sustainable plan. We need to pray for a miracle.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Joaquin and San Augustine have both announced that they will be fully online to begin classes, with hopes of getting on campus by early September. Are there any others doing this? 

Alto starts in-school classes on Monday with the option for online learning. Only those in the classroom may participate in extra-curricular activities (or attend them). We have gone from a six-week grading cycle to nine-week. You can’t go back and forth during the grading period, AND if you don’t attend school in the fall, you may not participate in extra-curricular activities in the spring.

I applaud our administration and school board for making this local policy. In my opinion, if you can come and participate in practice for hours with your fellow students during the day and after school, load a bus and travel to games, then you can come to school and learn in the classroom.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Alto starts in-school classes on Monday with the option for online learning. Only those in the classroom may participate in extra-curricular activities (or attend them). We have gone from a six-week grading cycle to nine-week. You can’t go back and forth during the grading period, AND if you don’t attend school in the fall, you may not participate in extra-curricular activities in the spring.

I applaud our administration and school board for making this local policy. In my opinion, if you can come and participate in practice for hours with your fellow students during the day and after school, load a bus and travel to games, then you can come to school and learn in the classroom.

Joaquin will be in-person school before September. We had an incident that breeched “close contact” definition by CDC with a positive case......It affected our entire front office so we had to delay 10-14 days just to be on the safe side. It is us just being proactive and the first week is just handing out Chromebooks and scheduling stuff anyway.... But with 5 people out it makes it almost impossible to be in school. We have the same rule for extracurricular activities as you do....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

What if a kid has it? Does everyone that kid had contact with have to be quarantined for 14 days? At small schools that would mean the entire campus would have to be quarantined. Just wondering what the protocol for others if a student or employee tested positive. 

No....CDC defines "close contact" as 15 minutes within 6ft with no mask. It really doesn't make any sense on some of these protocols.....CDC has flow chart on how to deal with certain scenarios. A positive person can come back in 10 days. A person that has "close contact" can come back in 14 days because of an incubation period of the virus so they say. That's why the mask and distancing and isolation is important. Basically no matter if you believe the protocols or not if ya want to have any sense of normalcy then heed the mandates and your local health person will shut you down. Liability is key......

42 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Masks and social distancing will not prevent the virus. Limit yes . However, when you set exceptions voting , “ peaceful protests” , Eating at the table ect then you tend to lose credibility. The masks will prevent a very small scale of droplets from the other person. If you get a virus your immune system will fight it off. If not there absolutely nothing that will prevent . We will pretend that children are dying at a mass rate. The elderly and folks that had something else are the ones that should be social distancing and helped. Quarantine is not intended for healthy people. Actually counterproductive and decreases quality of life. The stats are out there and the ones believing the propaganda and fear garbage shouldn’t be making decisions. 

I agree 1000% but put yourself in the Supt position and a health protocol has been breeched and the entire community know about it. If you choose not to act and a person connected to the situation gets sick or causes someone else to get sick and becomes fatal then you can kiss your certificate/license goodbye and perhaps suffer prosecution...... Like it or not it’s the world we live in and 10-14 days isn’t the end of the world to wait and start off on the right foot.