Week 1: Grand Saline @ Cooper

Bulldognation1

Week 1  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Grand Saline Indians
    • Cooper Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/29/2020 at 12:30 AM

Think it all depends on how improved the bulldogs are from last year. They struggled last year in a soft district hope we can turn it around this year. GS has a new coach so that could play a factor also installing a new system. GS was big when I seen them play last year. I'll go with the bulldogs in a close one.

8 hours ago, supermaroon said:

Think it all depends on how improved the bulldogs are from last year. They struggled last year in a soft district hope we can turn it around this year. GS has a new coach so that could play a factor also installing a new system. GS was big when I seen them play last year. I'll go with the bulldogs in a close one.

Was that district all that soft? Bells was a 3rd round team, Blue Ridge went 2nd round and Whitewright gave Harmony all they could handle as the 4 seed. 

I’d say it was stronger than people wanted to give it credit for. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 6:56 PM, Bucksweep said:

Was that district all that soft? Bells was a 3rd round team, Blue Ridge went 2nd round and Whitewright gave Harmony all they could handle as the 4 seed. 

I’d say it was stronger than people wanted to give it credit for. 

I wouldn't I don't think the district they matched up with was all that good outside of Harmony either. It was a favorable playoff match up last year that went a couple teams way. Bells was a solid team outside of that I think it was luck of the draw. 

20 hours ago, Hawkball7 said:

I believe Cooper will have their 3rd OC in as many years since the hire of Castorena from Gunter. Very disappointing year from Cooper last year but I can see them bouncing back and getting back to their 2018 form. 

So you are saying another one and done playoff team?

The first OC in Cooper with Castorena, took a head coaching job, so you can't blame him for that.  The system from Gunter is still in place, it just takes a while to perfect it.  They will be fine in AA this year, however this district  they are in now is pretty tough.  Coach Castorena will run a good program, I do know that.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, ShoelessJoe said:

The first OC in Cooper with Castorena, took a head coaching job, so you can't blame him for that.  The system from Gunter is still in place, it just takes a while to perfect it.  They will be fine in AA this year, however this district  they are in now is pretty tough.  Coach Castorena will run a good program, I do know that.

Not sure if you are from Gunter but I believe that Coopers new OC actually played under Fieszel when he first took over the program. North Texas football seems to have Gunter faithful all within their ranks. 

1 hour ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

I hope they can bring that Gunter magic to Cooper. Been waiting going on 3 years and all they have brought is Gunter teacher/coaches. 

Yes, the new OC did play at Gunter.  But you've got to give those guys time, it took Coach Fieszel several years to get the program at the level it is now.  Cooper was in a little down period when Castorena came in.  Things are not going to magically change in a couple of years.  The kids have to buy in, and that didn't happen last year.  Hopefully these kids and the younger groups do buy and, and once they start having success, it will take off.

1 hour ago, ShoelessJoe said:

Yes, the new OC did play at Gunter.  But you've got to give those guys time, it took Coach Fieszel several years to get the program at the level it is now.  Cooper was in a little down period when Castorena came in.  Things are not going to magically change in a couple of years.  The kids have to buy in, and that didn't happen last year.  Hopefully these kids and the younger groups do buy and, and once they start having success, it will take off.

Got my fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2020 at 12:43 PM, ShoelessJoe said:

Well congratulations to Coach Castorena and his staff in Cooper, 2020 District Champions.  There is still a lot of work to be done, but for a group that Dave Campbell's picked 5th in t heir district, they've made quiet a showing.  The admin, teachers, parents and players seem to be turning a corner and buying in.  Things will only get better from here on out.  Go DAWGS!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, ShoelessJoe said:

Well congratulations to Coach Castorena and his staff in Cooper, 2020 District Champions.  There is still a lot of work to be done, but for a group that Dave Campbell's picked 5th in t heir district, they've made quiet a showing.  The admin, teachers, parents and players seem to be turning a corner and buying in.  Things will only get better from here on out.  Go DAWGS!!!!!!!!

Not trying to stir anything up on this, but I could have sworn that they all bought in back in his first year when they smoked the district and finished 6-0?!?  They went 2-4 the following year and around the area we heard that he was losing the kids.

I think their drop to 2A has definitely been a good thing for football even though their district got more competitive top to bottom.  They've gutted out wins and are definitely a good team, I just hope it's not another roller coaster ride dipping again next year and causing 2nd guesses of a pretty good coach.

36 minutes ago, PatsFan said:

Not trying to stir anything up on this, but I could have sworn that they all bought in back in his first year when they smoked the district and finished 6-0?!?  They went 2-4 the following year and around the area we heard that he was losing the kids.

I think their drop to 2A has definitely been a good thing for football even though their district got more competitive top to bottom.  They've gutted out wins and are definitely a good team, I just hope it's not another roller coaster ride dipping again next year and causing 2nd guesses of a pretty good coach.

I know what you're saying and not all the kids bought in during year 1 even though they won district.  It really showed the next year and several athletes elected to not stay in the program.  After surviving the rough year 2, and the drop to AA, things seem to be picking up again.  I hope and don't expect there to be a roller coaster ride again after this season.  The lower grades are all doing well, and they should stay competitive for many years in AA.

3 hours ago, ShoelessJoe said:

I know what you're saying and not all the kids bought in during year 1 even though they won district.  It really showed the next year and several athletes elected to not stay in the program.  After surviving the rough year 2, and the drop to AA, things seem to be picking up again.  I hope and don't expect there to be a roller coaster ride again after this season.  The lower grades are all doing well, and they should stay competitive for many years in AA.

Glad to hear that.  Hopefully the numbers will stay low enough for y'all to continue at the 2A level and not push y'all back up to 3A.  I say that more for the other programs than the football.  Having to play MV, Winnsboro, Chapel Hill, & Commerce were just not fair at times when they are close to double Cooper size  

18 hours ago, PatsFan said:

Glad to hear that.  Hopefully the numbers will stay low enough for y'all to continue at the 2A level and not push y'all back up to 3A.  I say that more for the other programs than the football.  Having to play MV, Winnsboro, Chapel Hill, & Commerce were just not fair at times when they are close to double Cooper size  

You are exactly right.  Having 225 students and playing against programs with 500 + was totally unfair for all the other sports.  Hopefully they stay in AA for the foreseeable future.