Desoto soon to be in hot water??

Eagleborn

Mathis was never intending to stay in Marshall.  He was looking for a way back to DeSoto when he signed on at Marshall, the man needed a job somewhere, until his buddies back in DeSoto could pull the designated strings to get his old job back for him.  No doubt he made Marshall better, but he never intended to stay there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Mathis was never intending to stay in Marshall.  He was looking for a way back to DeSoto when he signed on at Marshall, the man needed a job somewhere, until his buddies back in DeSoto could pull the designated strings to get his old job back for him.  No doubt he made Marshall better, but he never intended to stay there. 

That’s sad to me. He had all the tools and resources to turn Marshall into a annual state championship contender. It’s a football community with a good winning tradition. 

1 hour ago, nacdragon07 said:

That’s sad to me. He had all the tools and resources to turn Marshall into a annual state championship contender. It’s a football community with a good winning tradition. 

Same thing happen to Lufkin back in the early 90s with Jim Slaughter.  He came and stayed 3 years, 1992 (1-9) 1993 (6-4) 1994 (7-5-1),  not really sure he wanted to be here, then left for AMC . Lufkin then hired John Outllaw .  A very good trade off for both Lufkin and AMC.    Slaughter did nothing while here to improve any of the Lufkin sports program facilities, left them in poor shape.  He didn't do much better at AMC, however, he did win plenty of football games and made a legacy for himself there.  Even gave Outlaw a couple of losses in his early years .  If your lucky enough to get a coach who fits the chemistry of your schools talent, builds a successful program and wants to continue there for a long time, consider yourself very fortunate .  The Marshall football program is in good hands with Coach Griedl for several years to come.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Same thing happen to Lufkin back in the early 90s with Jim Slaughter.  He came and stayed 3 years, 1992 (1-9) 1993 (6-4) 1994 (7-5-1),  not really sure he wanted to be here, then left for AMC . Lufkin then hired John Outllaw .  A very good trade off for both Lufkin and AMC.    Slaughter did nothing while here to improve any of the Lufkin sports program facilities, left them in poor shape.  He didn't do much better at AMC, however, he did win plenty of football games and made a legacy for himself there.  Even gave Outlaw a couple of losses in his early years .  If your lucky enough to get a coach who fits the chemistry of your schools talent, builds a successful program and wants to continue there for a long time, consider yourself very fortunate .  The Marshall football program is in good hands with Coach Griedl for several years to come.

IMO Mathis was a great motivator (although his motivation was a double edged sword) and a mediocre on-field coach due to very questionable play calling / decisions.....no one can argue that he put together a great coaching staff.

Coach Griedl is the real deal.....what he has done to improve the athletic facilities (along with Dr. Gibson) is incredible.......he's also changed the culture in a very positive way, and the kids really buy into it....he's also retained / tweaked the staff into just as good or better staff than Mathis put together....and no comparison in the on-field coaching aspect.

Things happen for a reason.....Marshall was lucky to get Mathis (agreeing that he never intended to stay) to build somewhat on what Clint Harper started, but Marshall was also lucky that Mathis had a love affair with DeSoto, and were lucky enough to to have a top notch replacement in Jake Griedl waiting in the wings (can't thank Mathis enough for that), and an administration smart enough to put their faith in Jake.

Now, the problem is programs around the state see that Coach Griedl is not only an excellent coach, but a high class individual and administrator....we're just praying that we can keep him in the Maverick family for an extended time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

😲😲😲😲 Do you not like him because he didn’t stay ? What’s the deal ? He did win while he was in Marshall.

You can only go for it on 4th and 20 at your own 30 so many times before it becomes known you will always go for it. 

IMHO... he’s jagoff with an ego unsurpassed in Txhsfb.

Karma sometimes tarries.

We got a keeper in coach G. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

You can only go for it on 4th and 20 at your own 30 so many times before it becomes known you will always go for it. 

IMHO... he’s jagoff with an ego unsurpassed in Txhsfb.

Karma sometimes tarries.

We got a keeper in coach G. 

do you believe he'll stay for the long haul like surratt in carthage ? or will he leave for a bigger high profile job in a few years ? 

whats the annual salary for the AD/HFC in Marshall ? 

10 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

do you believe he'll stay for the long haul like surratt in carthage ? or will he leave for a bigger high profile job in a few years ? 

I think that’s always the goal for any program and administration.  

Personally.... I hope so.  I think he’s the real deal.

I want to say it’s $115K  plus stipends.  But I’d have to double check to be 100%. 

26 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

The thing about a lot of those high profile jobs is they are just head coach only.......so in some instances, the pay is not greater there than at a Marshall or Carthage - especially considering cost of living.  

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

$115K in East Texas is living pretty large 

I was going to say the same thing. It’s a great situation. A winning program with top facilities and a town and board that backs the program. You aren’t going to find to many situations like that. 

4 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Last season they had a tough draw but if they want to join the next tier of teams they need to start winning those tough 1st and 2nd round games. 

Agree 10000%.  

9 hours ago, PackAttack said:

The first part is correct, but he didnt make Marshall better. They were about the same under Harper. Harper 3-8, 7-5,11-2, 6-5..Mathis 6-5,10-3.  Harper is the one that pulled the program from the abyss that Richter left it in 2-8,1-9. 

Fortunately we have one of the worst Districts in 5A D2 so Marshall has won 25 straight District games, since 5A went to split divisions and Marshall got in D2 they are 25-5 in district.   Texas High is back in the District so that is the last time Marshall lost a Dist game back in 2016, so that is the only bump in the Dist.   Non district those same 4 years from 2016-currnet we are 2-12.

My point is, anyone that thinks that Mathis just came to Marshall and turned around a dead horse just hasn't looked at the facts.

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I think that’s always the goal for any program and administration.  

Personally.... I hope so.  I think he’s the real deal.

I want to say it’s $115K  plus stipends.  But I’d have to double check to be 100%. 

About 20K less. Mathis was paid that, but they didnt give Griedl a unproven 31 year old that salary.   Still good money for his age and exp.and I agree he is a heck of a young coach.  Keeping him will be hard as he has trained under big programs and has that goal. If he continues at the pace I expect, if Marshall can keep him 3-4 more years, I think that will be great.

1 hour ago, mavfanpanamacity said:

About 20K less. Mathis was paid that, but they didnt give Griedl a unproven 31 year old that salary.   Still good money for his age and exp.and I agree he is a heck of a young coach.  Keeping him will be hard as he has trained under big programs and has that goal. If he continues at the pace I expect, if Marshall can keep him 3-4 more years, I think that will be great.

Top end is the $150k range.  Find a way to get him to that number in the next 4-5 years (assuming he wins the big games and continues overall athletic program success) and he will stay.  Give him pennies for raises year over year and he will go.  It’s pretty simple.

1 hour ago, mavfanpanamacity said:

since 5A went to split divisions and Marshall got in D2 they are 25-5 in district.   Non district those same 4 years from 2016-currnet we are 2-12.

Let not forget this little tidbit:

The Mavs are (31-2) in district since 2015 with 4 district titles in the last 5 seasons.  

Conversely.....they have gone (5-12) in non district in that same time span.  

That Includes Longview, Carthage, and Alvin Shadow Creek, who were a combined (95-13) when we played them.  

All that to say......  we play a killer non district schedule almost every single season. 

I’m not 100% off the top of my head sure.... but I think Tyler Lee is the only non playoff non district opponent we have faced since 2016.  And they are TWO football classifications above us.  

Sure......we could be padding our non district record with powder puffs like others in our district.... but instead we are getting tested, beaten up, And IMHO.... toughened up.