Desoto soon to be in hot water??

Eagleborn

21 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Let not forget this little tidbit:

The Mavs are (31-2) in district since 2015 with 4 district titles in the last 5 seasons.  

Conversely.....they have gone (5-12) in non district in that same time span.  

That Includes Longview, Carthage, and Alvin Shadow Creek, who were a combined (95-13) when we played them.  

All that to say......  we play a killer non district schedule almost every single season. 

I’m not 100% off the top of my head sure.... but I think Tyler Lee is the only non playoff non district opponent we have faced since 2016.  And they are TWO football classifications above us.  

Sure......we could be padding our non district record with powder puffs like others in our district.... but instead we are getting tested, beaten up, And IMHO.... toughened up.  

I agree, but at some point you see a pattern with scheduling.  Killing yourself and not winning a non dist game, then a soft dist schedule that gives you a false sense of reality.  Or play maybe 1 stud non district game, 2-3 winnable non district games.  Go into district not as beat up, mentally and physically, then build momentum to the playoffs.   

16 minutes ago, Aledo said:

But that tough non district schedule has not translated to the other end. 3 out of the last 4 years y'all finished 6-5. No point in getting beat up in the beginning of the year if it's not helping y'all win playoff games. 

Like I said above... I agree.  Time to take the next step. 

We just got incredibly unlucky last season.  

Huntsville should have been the district champion in their district.  Their QB came back in the first round of the playoffs. 

We should have drawn Katy Paetow instead of WH (who beat them). 

Is what it is.   Time to take the next step. 

9 hours ago, OakRidgeMav said:

IMO Mathis was a great motivator (although his motivation was a double edged sword) and a mediocre on-field coach due to very questionable play calling / decisions.....no one can argue that he put together a great coaching staff.

Coach Griedl is the real deal.....what he has done to improve the athletic facilities (along with Dr. Gibson) is incredible.......he's also changed the culture in a very positive way, and the kids really buy into it....he's also retained / tweaked the staff into just as good or better staff than Mathis put together....and no comparison in the on-field coaching aspect.

Things happen for a reason.....Marshall was lucky to get Mathis (agreeing that he never intended to stay) to build somewhat on what Clint Harper started, but Marshall was also lucky that Mathis had a love affair with DeSoto, and were lucky enough to to have a top notch replacement in Jake Griedl waiting in the wings (can't thank Mathis enough for that), and an administration smart enough to put their faith in Jake.

Now, the problem is programs around the state see that Coach Griedl is not only an excellent coach, but a high class individual and administrator....we're just praying that we can keep him in the Maverick family for an extended time.

Griedl is waaaaaaaaay better than Mathis. Last year, I saw discipline and sportsmanship at Tomato Bowl from Marshall. Not so with Mathis, but y’all know how I feel so I’ll just leave it at that. 

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

Griedl is waaaaaaaaay better than Mathis. Last year, I saw discipline and sportsmanship at Tomato Bowl from Marshall. Not so with Mathis, but y’all know how I feel so I’ll just leave it at that. 

I understand that’s important but,to me imho that doesn’t mean Griedl is better then Mathis. I’ve seen teams with sportsmanship and discipline that had losing records. Let’s just call a spade of spade. Nobody liked him. He could have taken Marshall to state and still wouldn’t be Liked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

No argument here.....as I mentioned, Marshall is lucky that Mathis wanted to leave, otherwise he'd still have the job, and Coach G would most likely be somewhere else.....and regarding Mathis the motivator, and the double edge sword......he got the kids ready to play (positive) / lack of discipline (negative).

54 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

I understand that’s important but,to me imho that doesn’t mean Griedl is better then Mathis. I’ve seen teams with sportsmanship and discipline that had losing records. Let’s just call a spade of spade. Nobody liked him. He could have taken Marshall to state and still wouldn’t be Liked. 

My above comments apply here as well......the lack of discipline cost the Mavs dearly, not to mention the questionable play calling (which IMO can be attributed directly to a lack of disciple on the part of Mathis)......and that's not even mentioning the amazing improvements to Maverick facilities (all facilities, not just football) that have taken place since Coach G was named AD as well as HFC......forget the likability factor.....more has been accomplished in the last two years than in the ten previous (and that's being conservative).....Mathis or Griedl? Duh.....

10 minutes ago, OakRidgeMav said:

No argument here.....as I mentioned, Marshall is lucky that Mathis wanted to leave, otherwise he'd still have the job, and Coach G would most likely be somewhere else.....and regarding Mathis the motivator, and the double edge sword......he got the kids ready to play (positive) / lack of discipline (negative).

My above comments apply here as well......the lack of discipline cost the Mavs dearly, not to mention the questionable play calling (which IMO can be attributed directly to a lack of disciple on the part of Mathis)......and that's not even mentioning the amazing improvements to Maverick facilities (all facilities, not just football) that have taken place since Coach G was named AD as well as HFC......forget the likability factor.....more has been accomplished in the last two years than in the ten previous (and that's being conservative).....Mathis or Griedl? Duh.....

Maybe I missed it. Anyway I’m sorry I turned this into a why Marshall hates Mathis thread. I wanna know if those tweets about tampering have any merit.

11 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Maybe I missed it. Anyway I’m sorry I turned this into a why Marshall hates Mathis thread. I wanna know if those tweets about tampering have any merit.

My dislike had little to do with football. 

On 8/17/2020 at 7:01 PM, PantherNation2015 said:

Top end is the $150k range.  Find a way to get him to that number in the next 4-5 years (assuming he wins the big games and continues overall athletic program success) and he will stay.  Give him pennies for raises year over year and he will go.  It’s pretty simple.

150k is elite pay IMO. He better win more than just some big games. That’s a championship caliber coach pay. Surratt / King money. There has been a lot of discussions about coaches pay in the past, and 150k is probably top 5% or less in the state. I know a couple years ago there were very few coaches making that kind of money. Anything over 120k is top end. Get him in that range and he will have a hard time leaving, unless he wants to leave. But gotta win 1st.