La Vega #1 vs Port Lavaca Calhoun #6

BigFanOf22

Week 1  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Port Lavaca Calhoun Sandcrabs
    • La Vega Pirates

Pirates by 2 scores.  Everyone got bugs to work out right now, so both teams maybe not at 100% yet.  Thinking score could be relatively close.

Like others have said, ball control has not worked well in recent times against La Vega.  They returning enough on D to make that a valid argument.  Ground-n-pound only works when you can score after that super long drive and have the D to get your opponent back off the field real quick.  Honestly don't see that happening here.  Give La Vega an inch, they'll take a mile on ya.  PLC gets behind a couple TD's it will be a very long night.  Go Pirates!  Know you'll rep centex ball very well.

Hello everyone first post. I see alot of posters talking about Calhouns offense. I believe you will have to wait untill playoffs to actually see the triple option. Id expect Calhoun to run mostly I form with no actual "reads." There is a reason Calhoun runs the offense it does and its to slow down more athletic teams. They have played games against more athletic teams than La Vega while showing up with worse teams than this years and kept games close and won them. With that being said i fully believe La Vega is worthy of its #1 ranking and a very stout team! My guess is LV 35 Calhoun 28

4 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Where is this game being played?

PLC backers might want to do some homework on LV.  PLC has had what, two good years, but haven't managed yet to get out of that south region.  Prior to that they've had many years of mediocrity.  That's not a slam, just what their record shows. They may be coming up and prove to be on La Vega's level eventually, but I'm not seeing them as there yet.

LV on the other hand has five years of being at the highest level and playing all comers like Argyle in pre-district, along two or state championships. 2019 Lost championship to Carthage; 2018 won Championship over Liberty Hill; lost semi-final to Carthage; 2016 undefeated state champs.

I'm taking LV over PLC pretty easy.

No PL has had moderate success since 08. Has been a major player in region 4 in 5a since 08. Only 1 state semis appearence but has beat some really good teams. When they moved to region 3 they had a couple down years mainly due to lack of of QBs but always were competitive. 

4 hours ago, F00tballfan said:

Hello everyone first post. I see alot of posters talking about Calhouns offense. I believe you will have to wait untill playoffs to actually see the triple option. Id expect Calhoun to run mostly I form with no actual "reads." There is a reason Calhoun runs the offense it does and its to slow down more athletic teams. They have played games against more athletic teams than La Vega while showing up with worse teams than this years and kept games close and won them. With that being said i fully believe La Vega is worthy of its #1 ranking and a very stout team! My guess is LV 35 Calhoun 28

I would be very surprised if PLC scores 14.   The sandcrabs graduated most of there team last year and the flex bone has to be a well oiled machine for it to work well.  LV  will take full advantage any mistakes made by PLC.   To slow down teams you need to maintain possession of the football.  I guess we will see how well the sandcrabs can do that. 

29 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Sooooo, should PLC even show up?

Sure.......every team needs as many snaps as it can get right now.  And you just never know how the football will bounce sometimes, too.  Walton will score at least 2 TD's from the RB position for LV.........I would almost bet on that.  Rauls may be able to get a TD thru the air, and maybe on a keeper also.  PLC  better come ready to battle in those trenches.

3 minutes ago, Aledo said:

I'm glad PLC can run scout team for LV then lol. Yall are gonna be real confused if PLC wins. 

Yes.......I would be for sure.  PLC will definitely have to be very impressive on the lines AND be able to score more than 2 TD's to win this game.....IMHO.

And then that may still not be good enough.

10 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Yall really going to be lost if Calallen was to win also! Might have to get TXDOT to send out an APB. 

I'm fairly certain most 4A posters here are well-aware of Coach Danaher and the Calallen Wildcats football history.  Most of the top-rated schools in 4A realize that Callallen is the new kid on the block and might very well end up in Jerry World.......IF we can have a full season this year.  IF not.......then there is always next year for the Wildcats to show their stuff to all of us.

9 hours ago, coachkells said:

I would be very surprised if PLC scores 14.   The sandcrabs graduated most of there team last year and the flex bone has to be a well oiled machine for it to work well.  LV  will take full advantage any mistakes made by PLC.   To slow down teams you need to maintain possession of the football.  I guess we will see how well the sandcrabs can do that. 

PLC lost a bit but the QB got reps as a sophomore and the FB has been a 4 year starter. Basically the 2 most important positions to make triple option go. I just cant see why most posters think Calhoun is a pushover. Calhoun and Calallen will be the most physical teams LV plays this year and it seems posters are brushing them off. I look forward to this game as a measuring stick for calhoun but i expect LV to win late. 

12 hours ago, F00tballfan said:

No PL has had moderate success since 08. Has been a major player in region 4 in 5a since 08. Only 1 state semis appearence but has beat some really good teams. When they moved to region 3 they had a couple down years mainly due to lack of of QBs but always were competitive. 

I'm not seeing them as a "major player" since '08.  They had a very nice run from '08 - '13, but since that time, they dropped off significantly and haven't yet re-established themselves as a major player.  Yes, they were very good in '18, and '19 was also good, but they were out in week 2 of playoffs, so hard to say they're back to being established as a major player in the region after 7 years of not really being there.

2019 - 9-3; 1 playoff win against very weak Sharyland, a 5-5 team with wins against teams with combined 17-35 record; 1-9 Cigarroa, 4-7 Valley View; 2-8 Roma; 6-5 Pace; 4-6 La Joya

2018 - 10-4; 3 playoff wins, very good year                                                                                                                                                                                 

2017 - 4-5

2016 - 3-7

2015 - 7-4; lost to a solid Ridge Point team in first round of playoffs

2014 - 6-6; beat an average Ft Bend team in 1st round

2013 - 13-2; won region; lost in semi-final to Brenham

4 hours ago, F00tballfan said:

PLC lost a bit but the QB got reps as a sophomore and the FB has been a 4 year starter. Basically the 2 most important positions to make triple option go. I just cant see why most posters think Calhoun is a pushover. Calhoun and Calallen will be the most physical teams LV plays this year and it seems posters are brushing them off. I look forward to this game as a measuring stick for calhoun but i expect LV to win late. 

Calhoun and Calallen maybe as well be the most physical team LV see this year.  I can promise LV will be the biggest, fastest and most physical team either of those teams will face this season.    

On 8/25/2020 at 1:47 PM, Everide2016 said:

Where is this game being played?

PLC backers might want to do some homework on LV.  PLC has had what, two good years, but haven't managed yet to get out of that south region.  Prior to that they've had many years of mediocrity.  That's not a slam, just what their record shows. They may be coming up and prove to be on La Vega's level eventually, but I'm not seeing them as there yet.

LV on the other hand has five years of being at the highest level and playing all comers like Argyle in pre-district, along two or state championships. 2019 Lost championship to Carthage; 2018 won Championship over Liberty Hill; lost semi-final to Carthage; 2016 undefeated state champs.

I'm taking LV over PLC pretty easy.

Yeah i would agree with that.js 

Sounds like PLC has an offensive scheme similar to what Liberty Hill runs........the defense must play disciplined football and watch out for the misdirection also.  But basically PLC must be very good at timing and execution with really good blocking, Huh?  And must have a couple or a full backfield of excellent RB's including their QB......who makes it all happen.