RedRed

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, blueflu said:

I say higher scoring

Melissa 49 Celina 35

Id take that also but Melissa's defense looks very good with good size and a ton of speed. Im not sure Celina will be able to score 35 against Melissa's defense this year. Celina hasnt scored more than 17 points against Melissa in the last two years. 

Melissa's offense has some big play capability with a ton of weapons. So will see

Should be a really good season opening game for these two teams.

Celina brings back a very good, very speedy defense. They bring in a very big and athletic offensive line which appears to be healthy for the first time in over a year. They've got a talented 6'7 WR who's going to be a matchup nightmare, along with a host of other speedy — albeit smaller — receiving targets. They've got to replace Logan Point at RB, but they've got a good one in Isaiah Martinez, along with a young guy to keep an eye on in Trae Hollins. The Bobcats also have a new QB in senior Reagan Davenport, who will likely be the best passing QB Celina has had in a while.

If the Bobcats stay healthy, this will be their best team since the 2015 state finalist squad. Given that Melissa didn't score 49 against the Bobcats any of the past three years, when they had some absolute studs, I just don't see them reaching that point on Friday while breaking in a new QB themselves. The Cardinals are good, and I think the youth they have is talented. But I'll take the Bobcats by two possessions in this one.

10 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Should be a really good season opening game for these two teams.

Celina brings back a very good, very speedy defense. They bring in a very big and athletic offensive line which appears to be healthy for the first time in over a year. They've got a talented 6'7 WR who's going to be a matchup nightmare, along with a host of other speedy — albeit smaller — receiving targets. They've got to replace Logan Point at RB, but they've got a good one in Isaiah Martinez, along with a young guy to keep an eye on in Trae Hollins. The Bobcats also have a new QB in senior Reagan Davenport, who will likely be the best passing QB Celina has had in a while.

If the Bobcats stay healthy, this will be their best team since the 2015 state finalist squad. Given that Melissa didn't score 49 against the Bobcats any of the past three years, when they had some absolute studs, I just don't see them reaching that point on Friday while breaking in a new QB themselves. The Cardinals are good, and I think the youth they have is talented. But I'll take the Bobcats by two possessions in this one.

This should be a very entertaining game for all for sure.  

55 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Well, no rain in the forecast for Friday ... just a high temp of 102°!!

Gonna be real hot on that field. Likely going to see lots and lots of cramps. Depth of both teams might get put to the test early.

No joke its gonna be brutal.... I'll be there anyways sweating my backside off.

8 hours ago, RedRed said:

Good first game for both teams im going with Melissa for the 3rd straight win against the Bobcats...

Melissa 35

Celina 21

Melissa has already won 3 straight the Bobcats so if they win Friday will be 4 in a row.

Week 1 games always the toughest to pick. These teams have been pretty even the past couple years but Lewis was the difference maker at QB and he's gone now.

The key questions are...

Is the new Card QB a gamer? He took well over 100 snaps last year so has quite a bit of varsity experience.

Will the young Melissa DL be able to handle the big Celina OL?

What will Logan Point's replacement be like at RB?

How will the big Bobcat WR look against a very talented Melissa secondary?

Which team will the heat better?

Melissa also lost their outstanding RB Ja'bray Young and several other offensive weapons that were seniors last year.......as well as some linemen that were starters for several years.  In fact, just about all those senior starters on last season's squad were starters for several years........so all of them are being replaced this season including that Colorado commit QB Lewis.   I don't know what each team has right now.......both have some very good players returning and some younger ones taking a starting role this season for the first time.  Based on my gut feeling only........I'm gonna go with Celina in this one.   But most likely this game will be a toss-up to pick a winner in advance.  I think the game will be close......within a TD either way.......and not high-scoring.  Somewhere in the 31 pt. range for the winner.......which is a fair amount of scoring  for a first game of the season and a tightly contested game between these two quality teams this year.

I also believe that Celina is on the rise again (to the top of the division) in their program,  quality and number of players, and that new stadium that opened last season.  I think they will be particularly tough to beat at home games this season.......just sayin'.......and this will be a home opener for Celina to start the season.  So that's why my gut feeling says Celina will win this game.  

The thing that’s hurt Celina since about 2015 is an absolute inability to throw the football with any semblance of consistency. Some of that was personnel. Some of it was play calling. That put insurmountable pressure on the RBs — mainly Point — to be great for three straight downs, and it consistently put the defense in a hole.

That shouldn’t be an issue this season. The Bobcats have the personnel, and they have some rejuvenated play calling with the new OC. That should have a residual effect on all aspects of the game/team. More success running the football with Martinez and a few other young but skilled RBs. More sustained drives, and more field-position wins, giving reprieve to what should be a very, very good Bobcat defense.

28 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

The thing that’s hurt Celina since about 2015 is an absolute inability to throw the football with any semblance of consistency. Some of that was personnel. Some of it was play calling. That put insurmountable pressure on the RBs — mainly Point — to be great for three straight downs, and it consistently put the defense in a hole.

That shouldn’t be an issue this season. The Bobcats have the personnel, and they have some rejuvenated play calling with the new OC. That should have a residual effect on all aspects of the game/team. More success running the football with Martinez and a few other young but skilled RBs. More sustained drives, and more field-position wins, giving reprieve to what should be a very, very good Bobcat defense.

It will definitely help Celina to become more balanced in their offensive attack.  A good passing game will only help those RB's and be more difficult to defend against. Melissa could show up with some really fantastic and speedy players.......I know that they have had a pipeline of very good younger players in their program for quite a few years now.  But Argyle has been undefeated at the lower levels for years too.  Not sure what Celina's lower levels have been doing against this same competition.  We will find out more on Friday night about everybody, Huh?

47 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Did Melissa get some move-ins over the summer from other schools???  I know that community is growing at a very fast pace.

There are people moving into Melissa like crazy.  Melissa turned in 971 students on snapshot day and I believe they are close to 1200 students now. 

2 hours ago, RedRed said:

There are people moving into Melissa like crazy.  Melissa turned in 971 students on snapshot day and I believe they are close to 1200 students now. 

Wow.......I was wondering how in the world they had below 1,000 for enrollment.  Now what you are telling me sounds more like what I see going on over there.

When is Melissa gonna have that new stadium and high school completed anyway?  Or is it done already now?  Argyle played Celina in its new stadium last season.......just gorgeous.  But we also played Melissa in Melissa last season at the old stadium.......so we will be playing both teams in Argyle this year.

5 hours ago, regaleagle said:

When is Melissa gonna have that new stadium and high school completed anyway?  Or is it done already now?  Argyle played Celina in its new stadium last season.......just gorgeous.  But we also played Melissa in Melissa last season at the old stadium.......so we will be playing both teams in Argyle this year.

Melissa's 130 yard indoor facility is being built now with the locker rooms and 6200 sq ft weight room. The stadium is coming soon, im not sure on the exact date but its gonna be really nice. 

1 hour ago, RedRed said:

Melissa's 130 yard indoor facility is being built now with the locker rooms and 6200 sq ft weight room. The stadium is coming soon, im not sure on the exact date but its gonna be really nice. 

That'll be really nice for that program! Cardinals will be 5A in 2022, it sounds like.