Melissa at Celina 8/28 7:30

RedRed

10 hours ago, regaleagle said:

It will definitely help Celina to become more balanced in their offensive attack.  A good passing game will only help those RB's and be more difficult to defend against. Melissa could show up with some really fantastic and speedy players.......I know that they have had a pipeline of very good younger players in their program for quite a few years now.  But Argyle has been undefeated at the lower levels for years too.  Not sure what Celina's lower levels have been doing against this same competition.  We will find out more on Friday night about everybody, Huh?

Yeah being unable to throw the football last year just stymied the offense. Apart from a miracle from Point or Watson, the offense just could never consistently overcome even 3rd-and-manageable downs, much less 3rd-and-6or7 or longer. Watson had the arm strength at QB, but he was running for his poor life as soon as he got the football. The offensive line was decimated with injuries a year ago. I know going into the Argyle game last year, Celina had not started the same offensive line in consecutive weeks all season. Hopefully the line stays healthy, because there are some good ones in that unit this season. If they can, Celina's offense should be able to score a lot more than they have in the past three or so seasons.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Texski said:

Week 1 games always the toughest to pick. These teams have been pretty even the past couple years but Lewis was the difference maker at QB and he's gone now.

The key questions are...

Is the new Card QB a gamer? He took well over 100 snaps last year so has quite a bit of varsity experience.

Will the young Melissa DL be able to handle the big Celina OL?

What will Logan Point's replacement be like at RB?

How will the big Bobcat WR look against a very talented Melissa secondary?

Which team will the heat better?

Lewis was clearly the difference maker a year ago. Celina had plenty of chances in that game. But Lewis seemed to rise up at key moments and make something happen. With him gone, it'll be interesting to see that Melissa offense.

I tell you who impressed me even more than Lewis, though, was that young cornerback. I cannot remember his name to save my life, but I believe he was a sophomore. He was essentially Lewis, just on the defensive side of the ball. He made some BIG plays in BIG moments. He was not afraid to stick his helmet in there either, even against Point.

34 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Lewis was clearly the difference maker a year ago. Celina had plenty of chances in that game. But Lewis seemed to rise up at key moments and make something happen. With him gone, it'll be interesting to see that Melissa offense.

I tell you who impressed me even more than Lewis, though, was that young cornerback. I cannot remember his name to save my life, but I believe he was a sophomore. He was essentially Lewis, just on the defensive side of the ball. He made some BIG plays in BIG moments. He was not afraid to stick his helmet in there either, even against Point.

Your talking about Damon Youngblood, the kid is dynamic he plays safety. He is jacked and for sure the best player on the field. The biggest difference for Melissa this year compared to last year is they wont need to rely on the qb running so much. Brendon was like a 2nd running back playing  qb, Melissa actually has more go to players this year compared to last season. 

24 minutes ago, RedRed said:

Your talking about Damon Youngblood, the kid is dynamic he plays safety. He is jacked and for sure the best player on the field. The biggest difference for Melissa this year compared to last year is they wont need to rely on the qb running so much. Brendon was like a 2nd running back playing  qb, Melissa actually has more go to players this year compared to last season. 

Youngblood! That's it! He was something else, man. So good. He's one of those players you watch and it's very evident that he's on another level and he just understands the game. He'll play on Saturdays for sure.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:10 AM, d0tc0m said:

Here's a link to Celina's webcast for Friday: https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/schools/celina-high-school-celina-tx/Football

I'm not sure who will be operating the stream, who will be doing color/commentary or anything like that. But, for those that can't make it to Bobcat Stadium, it'll be a nice viewing option.

Think ill go watch the freshmen and jv play tonight.

I have family in both towns. If the game had been in Melissa, I would have liked to watch it.

I didn't even know that Celina opened a new stadium. The last time I was there in 2017.

Without really knowing anything about the teams since I can't keep up with it all anymore, I'm picking Melissa over Celina.

I can't stand the growth happening...

9 hours ago, RedRed said:

If the Bobcats are gonna make a run they better do it this year. 

Lol classic take Red!

Teenage boys grow and develop at very odd intervals. This is why those boys you saw tonight are not on varsity. They need to physically grow and develop, while also growing into their abilities. Not to mention this was the first game of a very bizarre year. Really nice sub-varsity wins for Melissa. Wouldn't declare that Celina is on its way out of the HS football scene, though lol.

8 hours ago, alyssaB said:

I have family in both towns. If the game had been in Melissa, I would have liked to watch it.

I didn't even know that Celina opened a new stadium. The last time I was there in 2017.

Without really knowing anything about the teams since I can't keep up with it all anymore, I'm picking Melissa over Celina.

I can't stand the growth happening...

Celina's new stadium is very nice, very impressive. All of the new facilities are. The baseball stadium is worth taking a look at too, if you're in that area.

And you're right, Alyssa, the growth is startling. Every time I'm back down that way, half the time spent is my parents informing me of every new thing that's been built. I was in HS when the Sonic was built in Celina, way back when the stop light at 289 and Pecan St. was still just a blinking light. Now, there are parts of town that are unrecognizable from back then. It's pretty wild.

43 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Lol classic take Red!

Teenage boys grow and develop at very odd intervals. This is why those boys you saw tonight are not on varsity. They need to physically grow and develop, while also growing into their abilities. Not to mention this was the first game of a very bizarre year. Really nice sub-varsity wins for Melissa. Wouldn't declare that Celina is on its way out of the HS football scene, though lol.

I only say that because I've never seen a Celina sub varsity team look like that ever. I dont believe Melissa's jv has beaten Celina's since 2016 when Brendon Lewis was a freshman on jv. Im not trying to knock the kids or program, you asked my thoughts lol. Anyways hopefully tonight both teams play well with no injuries. 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 9:55 PM, RedRed said:

There are people moving into Melissa like crazy.  Melissa turned in 971 students on snapshot day and I believe they are close to 1200 students now. 

Melissa will not be at the 1200 student mark yet. I asked a Melissa ISD front office person on Tuesday and she told me Melissa HS enrollment expected to be 1030-1040 at 10 day mark from school starting and expected to increase some by end of year. Rooftops going up like crazy with 18 different home builders actively building, but many of the homes not yet occupied and the ones that are very heavy with children in the 3-8 year age range. Ground should be broken on new elementary school within weeks and will be open for 2021-2022 school year. This school will actually be located in McKinney but in Melissa ISD boundaries. This years freshman class will be the largest Melissa has seen and will still be under 300.

3 hours ago, RedRed said:

I only say that because I've never seen a Celina sub varsity team look like that ever. I dont believe Melissa's jv has beaten Celina's since 2016 when Brendon Lewis was a freshman on jv. Im not trying to knock the kids or program, you asked my thoughts lol. Anyways hopefully tonight both teams play well with no injuries. 

Lol I ain't mad at ya, Red. And I know you're not knocking the kids. You gave me your opinion, and I simply thought it was a bit of an extreme take based on a sub-varsity game ... the first one of a super bizarre year. Maybe you're right, and dark clouds are on the horizon for Celina. But to me, formulating that off one JV game seemed a bit much.

Now we can certainly agree on your last sentence. Hoping for a clean, competitive, entertaining game. Hope all fans stay safe and healthy, and the same for all players, coaches and officials as well. Just glad there's football happening in 2020!

1 hour ago, Texski said:

Melissa will not be at the 1200 student mark yet. I asked a Melissa ISD front office person on Tuesday and she told me Melissa HS enrollment expected to be 1030-1040 at 10 day mark from school starting and expected to increase some by end of year. Rooftops going up like crazy with 18 different home builders actively building, but many of the homes not yet occupied and the ones that are very heavy with children in the 3-8 year age range. Ground should be broken on new elementary school within weeks and will be open for 2021-2022 school year. This school will actually be located in McKinney but in Melissa ISD boundaries. This years freshman class will be the largest Melissa has seen and will still be under 300.

So there's a chance Melissa could stay 4A-DI for another cycle. That would benefit them greatly!

6 minutes ago, RedRed said:

I just cant see how thats possible. 

The current cut off between 4A-5A is 1226ish and will likely go up next cycle. The only way Melissa goes to 5A in 2022 is if they add 200+ students at the high school within next 13 months and I do not see how that's possible. There is a 100% chance Melissa will be 5A in 2024 but I'd say 20-30% it happens in 2022. the wildcard is what impact Covid has on enrollment numbers.

19 minutes ago, Texski said:

The current cut off between 4A-5A is 1226ish and will likely go up next cycle. The only way Melissa goes to 5A in 2022 is if they add 200+ students at the high school within next 13 months and I do not see how that's possible. There is a 100% chance Melissa will be 5A in 2024 but I'd say 20-30% it happens in 2022. the wildcard is what impact Covid has on enrollment numbers.

Good point

6 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Celina's new stadium is very nice, very impressive. All of the new facilities are. The baseball stadium is worth taking a look at too, if you're in that area.

And you're right, Alyssa, the growth is startling. Every time I'm back down that way, half the time spent is my parents informing me of every new thing that's been built. I was in HS when the Sonic was built in Celina, way back when the stop light at 289 and Pecan St. was still just a blinking light. Now, there are parts of town that are unrecognizable from back then. It's pretty wild.

I'll look for some images or videos about the new stadiums. I don't like the growth, there are too many uncomfortable changes. It becomes something else. It happened to Plano. You will get so many people from many other places and they don't have a football culture like small towns do. One change that happened to Allen is that newcomers changed its fight song. You will lose a lot of freedoms once had by having a small town. One of my grandmothers was born in Marilee and went to Gunter, but she would be over 100 today. 

Also, I think Melissa can have 1200 by the next realignment for sure. Princeton's is growing fast. I've said before how the last two seasons the home side of the football stadium was not filled like in years before despite the population and enrollment increasing.

Looks like it will be a race to 5A between Argyle, Anna and Melissa. will all go in 2022? or together in 2024? I think it's very likely Argyle goes to 5A in 2022. They are building almost as many homes in Flower Mound zoned to Argyle ISD as they are in the AnnaMelissaPlex. The new Argyle HS actually will have a Flower Mound mailing address.

About the game tonight. Think will be a war between 2 great schools, 2 great communities, 2 great teams. I'd be shocked if either team wins by more than 10. I have Melissa coming out on top 24-22.

Melissa must stay injury free as non-district gets no easier after tonight.

Sunnyvale #7 in 4A D2

Pottsboro #3 in 3A D1

Stephenville #11 in 4A D1