Decatur @ Argyle 8/28 Kickoff at 7:30

regaleagle

Here's another good game.  I don't have much information on what Decatur has this season and what they lost.  They lost a very good QB, but they have a very good one that got lots of playing time last season and proved his skills.  He's a very good basketball player too.......just like CJ Rogers in a similar role for Argyle as the starting QB this season.  The rest of the Decatur team........I just don't know what they have on both sides of the ball and how many starters they lost.  What I do know is what Argyle will have coming back to start the season.  Argyle is loaded.......end of story.  Most of their team has lots of experience and was "young" last season except for Hogeboom at QB, 3 other receivers, and a DE that all received D-1 baseball scholarships.  All those positions were easily replaced with quality players that got tons of minutes playing those positions last season and proved their skill sets.  Most if not ALL could have started for other 4A teams, no problemo.    Decatur will most probably score some points against Argyle with their prolific passing game.......but I'm just not sure how good this season's Argyle defense will be compared to last season's mediocre defense.   I'm gonna say Decatur should score at least 21 points but that won't be enough to beat Argyle.

This game will be Live Streamed on YouTube by typing in Argyle Eagles football(I think, LOL).  It will also be broadcast live like always on Sportsgram........the broadcast starts at 7 pm.  I think all home games for Argyle will be Live Streamed on YouTube this  season.......not sure about the away games yet.

Argyle didn't have any scrimmages this year against another opponent in full contact w/ full uniform.  They just did a couple of intrasquad scrimmages without full pads in shorts........if that means anything.  I don't even know what the results were.......probably starting offense against starting defense......but I just don't know and haven't heard or read anything.  Maybe they are keeping things "close to the vest" this season like La Vega does.......or maybe it's just this Covid ordeal and they are being cautious.

10 minutes ago, Ballboy23 said:

watched Decatur last week in scrimmage against Celina. Based on that, I think Argyle wins this game easily.

Maybe Celina is very very good on defense, and Decatur needed that scrimmage to place some players.  I don't ever put too much stock into scrimmage results......lots of times coaches are looking at different things to make some final decisions.  I fully expect Decatur to show up and do well this week.  Besides.......we really don't know much about Argyle's secondary this year yet........and Decatur is predominately a passing offense.  Celina's D could be much better than Argyle's......or at least their secondary.

Decatur and Argyle have a history of playing their games close........in football, basketball and most sports.  And the history goes all the way back to those first years for Argyle. I actually think Argyle has played Celina more times than Decatur, but both schools are rival games to the players.  Celina is Argyle's "true rival" each year, but Decatur is a close second.

Well I checked the game history........Argyle has played Celina more times than any other team in football in its 17  yr. history.  Argyle is 9-4 against Celina and 5-1 against Decatur in football.......at least that's what the game history in football says.  I thought we had played Decatur more times than that over the years, but  I guess I was thinking about all the other sports too.  Argyle is 11-1 against Sanger and 10-0 against Paris in its football history.......so  we have actually played against those two schools in football more than Decatur.

Maybe Argyle is a bit rusty coming into this one, having not had a full-contact scrimmage against another team. But it won't take long for that rust to give way to the veteran talent the Eagles have coming back. Tito Byce will be hungry to start his year off with a bang, after being injured most of last season. Kirkpatrick will pick up right where he left off, and it won't take him long to get in sync with the new Argyle QB. Jasper Lott will manhandle whoever lines up across from him, and that Eagles offensive line will control the line of scrimmage with relative ease.

Later in the year, perhaps Decatur can develop a bit more and would be able to make a better game of it. But right now, Argyle is head and shoulders above, and they win this one by 3-4 possessions.

I'd be happy if they play well and score some exciting TD's both in the passing game and the ground game.  I too would give the edge to Argyle and pray for a good clean game to start the season with no major injuries this early.  According to Coach Rogers in an interview.......he stated that Byce is looking stronger and healthier than he has ever seen him and has become the emotional leader of the team.   After tearing his ACL last year in district play and out for over half the season, Byce worked hard and put on an extra 15 lbs. of muscle.  He was also awarded this week as the very first recipient of the GivemetheVIN.com MVP Bobblehead award for the 2020 season.  It's a bobblehead that is a minature about 15 in. high that is a comical resemblence of Tito Byce.......complete with him wearing his Argyle black and his #9 on the jersey.  The bobblehead is triple the size of the rest of the body........it's very cool looking.  All of the Argyle team and faithful are very proud of the kind of player and person Tito Byce is......he just has such a great attitude and positive outlook all the time.  Good choice for this year's first GivemetheVIN.com MVP Bobblehead winner.

HC/AD Todd Rogers & Argyle Eagles Football:  2003-2019 (17 Seasons)

Overall Record of 194-37

Playoff Record of 47-15

4 Consecutive Undefeated Regular Seasons (2016-2019)

10 Total Undefeated Regular Seasons

12 Undefeated District Championships

7  Regional Championships

5  State Appearances

State Champion 2013 (Undefeated 16-0)

Coach Rogers and Argyle Eagles Football should hit  a milestone of 200 wins this season.......IF we can play a full season.

Another interesting tidbit about Argyle Football that is amazing:  The Argyle Eagles have played 76 different teams (not counting scrimmages) in the state in their 17 seasons.  They have never played a team from out of state. These were all scheduled official games in the season. If you added in the scrimmages.......the total would exceed 80.  But scrimmages don't really count.

Radio Broadcast on Sportsgram has begun........Texas High School Football 202O.   Let's pray for a protective and full season with very few incidences. 

To view the game on YouTube......google Argyle Football Livestream YouTube......that's how I did it and found it.

70 yd TD catch to Cash Walker from CJ Rogers on 2nd down...... a long perfect pass between 2 defenders right on the money.  He split the defenders and took it in for the TD.

Argyle 14-3 now.   CJ Rogers can certainly throw that football, for sure.  I think that throw was about 45 yds in the air and a very beautiful pass.