Decatur @ Argyle 8/28 Kickoff at 7:30

regaleagle

1 minute ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Let’s see what the Eagles do against PG. very interested in that game. Not sure how PG will do stopping Argyle’s passing game, but also think PG will score a lot running the ball. Should be a great test for both teams. Neither team got much of a test tonight.

Yeah......looks to me like the Argyle D will have their hands full against a quality running team like PG has so early in the season.  Maybe it will become a game of who scores last wins.......I don't know.  Argyle is obviously very "rusty" like dotcom says  from what I could tell.......even offensively a little bit.  But they played so many different players it was difficult to gauge just how much work they might need to play to their full potential.  On defense it was easier to see........too many holes and nobody there filling them yet.

I'm having some misgivings about Tito Byce and his "healthy" return to the starting RB position this season after that ACL tear last year.  He did take that game-opening handoff and scampered 75 yds for a TD, but did not play after that run.  Maybe he felt something "give" and the coaches decided it was best for him to sit and get it checked out this coming week.  I'm not that familiar with those kinds of injuries and what is involved in a total recovery for a RB in a heavy contact sport like football.  Especially for running backs.

BTW.......just in case anyone is wondering.......anything I write about Argyle on this site is already known by the coaching staffs for the opposing team.  So I mention certain things for the viewers of this site mainly.......so that they can be informed as well.  The more you know, the more interesting it is to watch the games.

Man you just hope Tito is alright. Hate to see any kid get hurt ever. Sure stings a bit more for those seniors. But maybe you’re right, maybe he just felt a little something and they held him back as precaution.

They will need him to beat PG, though. That is gonna be an incredible matchup.

Maybe Argyle already knows something about his chances of a total comeback and will be using him cautiously early in the season to see if he is truly healthy enough to play again this season.  He's got some D-1 offers on the table.......maybe they will slowly give him reps to regain his confidence in his leg in the early season, but try to protect him from any unnecessary contact early on.  He ran away from the defenders on that opening long run for the TD and I didn't see anything that looked abnormal in his stride.  He basically outran their fastest guys  and stretched his lead out over the 75 yds.  Who knows???   Something weird about that, though.

Well I found out that Decatur's senior starting QB Landon Howell(6-3/190) sustained a leg injury in practice 2 weeks ago.......so that explains why Decatur has not been playing up to expectations so far.  Maybe he will be back in a few weeks........I didn't learn of the extent of the injury.  And evidently Tito Byce is fine.......but Argyle  will be cautious early this season with his playing time and bring him along slowly after his ACL tear last season. 

I also learned that CJ Rogers didn't play any football since the 7th grade until last season.......he concentrated on basketball only.  In basketball season he started and the team went all the way to the Final Four in San Antonio before being called back because of the Covid ordeal.  Then he began working on his skills w/ the receivers all thru the summer.  He put on 12 lbs over the summer also (6-4/192 now) and looked very impressive on Friday night.  He's still a work in progress naturally........he has tons of upside and potential improvement to accomplish this season........but what he showed on Friday night as far as arm strength,  accuracy, and poise in the QB position was impressive to anyone who watched the game.  He will get better each game........you can see all of the potential just hanging off his shoulders.  He's basically a greenhorn of athletic ability at this compared to Hogeboom who started and played all of his junior season as the Eagles QB.