Jump to content

Argyle(1-0) @ Pleasant Grove(1-0)


regaleagle
 Share

Week 2  

88 members have voted

  1. 1. Who Ya Got?

    • Argyle Eagles
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/2020 at 12:30 AM

Recommended Posts

Argyle will line up and play good sound football.......no trick plays or multiple formations.  They run the spread and depend on execution to beat you at the point of attack.  Same in the passing game.......the timing and execution and excellent receivers are a must for the type of spread offense they run.  Argyle's spread is like most you see.......very simple and what you see is what you get. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Against a very top tier team like PG that has an excellent ground and pound game this early in the season........it could be very difficult for the Argyle defense.  Argyle was having trouble with teams like Abilene Wylie  in early season games years ago........they would typically have a power running game too.  Nowadays its been La Vega and now PG.  Paris has been tough wins for Argyle.......and even LE with their athletic teams and good RB's.  LE teams were good, but made too many mistakes.

PG is gonna be a much different animal than LE.  Abilene Wylie from the championship years might be a good comparison.  PG is excellent on both sides of the ball.  Several of these Sr’s played on the SC team in 2017 as freshman.  They have played a lot of football games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PantherNation2015 said:

PG is gonna be a much different animal than LE.  Abilene Wylie from the championship years might be a good comparison.  PG is excellent on both sides of the ball.  Several of these Sr’s played on the SC team in 2017 as freshman.  They have played a lot of football games.

Yes, I agree 100%........PG is gonna be a very difficult opponent for Argyle's defense.  I think Argyle's offense is good enough to score against any defense......no joke. But if the defense stays on the field too much, a team with an excellent ground game can keep the Argyle offense on the bench and limit its chances and opportunities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Argyle will line up and play good sound football.......no trick plays or multiple formations.  They run the spread and depend on execution to beat you at the point of attack.  Same in the passing game.......the timing and execution and excellent receivers are a must for the type of spread offense they run.  Argyle's spread is like most you see.......very simple and what you see is what you get. 

Argyle’s success or lack of in the passing game will be dependent on how much time your OL can give Rogers to throw the ball.  If they can hold their own for 3-5 seconds the Eagles can have some success in the air.  Easier said than done against the PG front 7.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Argyle’s success or lack of in the passing game will be dependent on how much time your OL can give Rogers to throw the ball.  If they can hold their own for 3-5 seconds the Eagles can have some success in the air.  Easier said than done against the PG front 7.

This group can hold their own......they have enough size and technique to play with the best of them.  They are not "overly" huge across the line.......the line averages about 275 including the TE.  They are strong, tall, quick enough, and have the footwork to be good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

This group can hold their own......they have enough size and technique to play with the best of them.  They are not "overly" huge across the line.......the line averages about 275 including the TE.  They are strong, tall, quick enough, and have the footwork to be good.

PG will be the best defense Argyle will play all year.  Better than LV.  It’s a shame Burris got hurt and is out for the year.  Even with him lost they are still off the charts talented.  Excellent matchup for Argyle and PG to see where they are vulnerable against the elite.  Iron sharpens iron.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PantherNation2015 said:

PG will be the best defense Argyle will play all year.  Better than LV.  It’s a shame Burris got hurt and is out for the year.  Even with him lost they are still off the charts talented.  Excellent matchup for Argyle and PG to see where they are vulnerable against the elite.  Iron sharpens iron.

Argyle will play Celina next week and La Vega in Week 4.......then Melissa in Week 6 after their Bye Week.    Those are all good quality teams with good defenses.  I would say La Vega has a very tough defense also.  Upfront La Vega is very good on defense too.......but maybe not as good as PG.......I don't know.  La Vega does have an excellent secondary and linebackers too.  They are very very good on defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paris comes later in district play.......they typically have a good defense and some very athletic players.  They just defeated a very highly ranked Tulsa Christian team last week......don't sleep on Paris this season.  Their QB Hohenberger is a junior this season and the Coach's son.  They will be a tough out also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, regaleagle said:

Argyle will play Celina next week and La Vega in Week 4.......then Melissa in Week 6 after their Bye Week.    Those are all good quality teams with good defenses.  I would say La Vega has a very tough defense also.  Upfront La Vega is very good on defense too.......but maybe not as good as PG.......I don't know.  La Vega does have an excellent secondary and linebackers too.  They are very very good on defense.

Celina, Paris & Melissa are good teams, but their defenses are not in same zip code as PG this year.  LV is the only comparable D.  PG is better up front, LV has a slight advantage at LB, and LV is better in secondary.  Because of PG’s dominance at the LOS they neutralize most of any weakness in the secondary because the opposing teams can’t establish a running game and don’t have time to pass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Argyle’s success or lack of in the passing game will be dependent on how much time your OL can give Rogers to throw the ball.  If they can hold their own for 3-5 seconds the Eagles can have some success in the air.  Easier said than done against the PG front 7.

Argyle runs the spread, but has a very balanced attack between the pass and run.  We have a stable of RB's and that good O-line upfront to mix in as a real threat with our passing game.  Argyle typically has numbers that are balanceed......if you look at past seasons.......not your typical spread that is "heavily slanted" on the pass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Argyle runs the spread, but has a very balanced attack between the pass and run.  We have a stable of RB's and that good O-line upfront to mix in as a real threat with our passing game.  Argyle typically has numbers that are balanceed......if you look at past seasons.......not your typical spread that is "heavily slanted" on the pass.

Are you making the trip to PG?  Watching a game of this magnitude is their bowl stadium is a pretty cool experience.  If you can get a ticket make the drive!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No way, Jose........my son graduated in 2007 and I have no family members to get tickets.  Even if I could get a ticket, I can watch the game Live Streamed in my humble abode and keep up with all the other games at the same time.  It's a looong trip anyways.......not getting there so much as getting back home after the game.  I'm not a young man anymore......or even middle aged.  I don't like those long drives late at night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

No way, Jose........my son graduated in 2006 and I have no family members to get tickets.  Even if I could get a ticket, I can watch the game Live Streamed in my humble abode and keep up with all the other games at the same time.  It's a looong trip anyways.......not getting there so much as getting back home after the game.  I'm not a young man anymore......or even middle aged.  I don't like those long drives late at night.

That’s why you let a young buck drive so you can sleep on the way home!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My young buck son would do it........but he will argue with me about going to this game so early in the season when we can watch it on YouTube, LOL.  If it was a normal distance, then there would be no discussion in the first place.  And then there is the ticket situation.......the allotment.  Just too many obstacles for me this season......I'll just sit at home and watch it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

My young buck son would do it........but he will argue with me about going to this game so early in the season when we can watch it on YouTube, LOL.  If it was a normal distance, then there would be no discussion in the first place.  And then there is the ticket situation.......the allotment.  Just too many obstacles for me this season......I'll just sit at home and watch it. 

I hear ya.  If you get a chance go watch the PG vs Carthage game from 2019 on YouTube.  I see this game playing out much like that one did through the start of Q4 - EVEN.  PG made a couple huge mistakes that blew the game open in the 4th.  Otherwise it would have been a tight one to the final whistle.  I believe Argyle vs PG will be a one possession type game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did back to back trips  last year to Waco to watch the Brownwood game one week, then La Vega the very next week.  Both were at McLane Stadium and the drive was probably a little shorter.......about 2 hrs. in Friday night traffic from Argyle is you drive straight on 35.  Both of those games were seriously deep into the playoffs, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I hear ya.  If you get a chance go watch the PG vs Carthage game from 2019 on YouTube.  I see this game playing out much like that one did through the start of Q4 - EVEN.  PG made a couple huge mistakes that blew the game open in the 4th.  Otherwise it would have been a tight one to the final whistle.  I believe Argyle vs PG will be a one possession type game.

Me too........I've already stated that it could come down to who has the ball last......or who scores last wins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things can happen in football none of us count on........like the game in a steady or pouring rain.  Or like crazy plays or bounces of the football.  That happened against LV in last year's playoff game early and Argyle was down 14 points right off the bat.  You cannot get down to a team like LV in a playoff game and expect to run your normal offense.  Mistakes by Argyle helped LV immensely........you cannot make mistakes in a highly competitive game and expect not to pay for your mistakes. It becomes too difficult to make up for them.  LV didn't need the help anyways......LOL.......but they took full advantage!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

I know the Eagles have a good team, not questioning that.   My point is the last couple of PG losses have come at the hands of Carthage and Cuero (Dixon & Whittington).  Both at UT and basically had a field day against PG.   Don’t think Argyle has that type of player with the ball in his hands.   Will the Argyle O line be able to manage the Hawk front?  IN THE TRENCHES is where the game will be decided and that will be a tall task.

Yes I can assure you there oline can handle the  PG dline. Argyles oline is huge with no fatties just tall big kids. Its insane how they get these big kids every single year. Like it seriously makes no sense, they never ever have an olineman under 6'2 and 250lbs ever. They just make a wall of humanity and don't get moved. I could understand of they were a 6a school with these big kids but they have had them the last 10 years. I dont get it lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RedRed said:

Yes I can assure you there oline can handle the  PG dline. Argyles oline is huge with no fatties just tall big kids. Its insane how they get these big kids every single year. Like it seriously makes no sense, they never ever have an olineman under 6'2 and 250lbs ever. They just make a wall of humanity and don't get moved. I could understand of they were a 6a school with these big kids but they have had them the last 10 years. I dont get it lol.

As others have noted this game will be won/lost in trenches and ball security.  I’m still giving the nod to PG in trench warfare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given that the trench warfare will be a game within the game, I'ma thinkin' this game will hinge on how much Tito Byce plays and how well CJ Rogers is able to perform from the shotgun.  Argyle has the weapons if CJ can get his gun loaded and on target on time.  The Argyle defense will play "bend but don't break" and are better inside the 20.  This is what I have been able to conclude so far this season.......since most of the team has returned from last season anyway.  The defense has a mix of underclassman, but with some experience.  They are not big upfront, but have some speed.  I would call the D-line smaller than big, but highly capable.  The linebackers all have one season under their belts now, but still need to see more action this season to improve.......it's still too early for them to all of a sudden be good.  The secondary is a surprise.......maybe better than I thought at this early stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Argyle will have the strong advantage simply because of depth.  PG only has half as many guys on their roster as Argyle does.  I think both sets of starters match up well but PG has way more guys going both ways than ever before.  That will be a huge factor if the end of the game is close. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Argyle's kicking game is good but not great like in some of the seasons where it was seriously good.  Kicker Caden Dodson started last season as a soph......looks like he has improved his leg strength and technique a little bit, but I'm not so sure about the punting game.  Didn't get to see much against Decatur......LOL.  Coverage on the kicks is always very good.......Argyle works very diligently with its kicking teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No one knows yet how CJ Rogers will handle the pass rush.......or how well he will be able to accurately hit receivers on the run.  We do know that he can scramble and run if he has to.......and will not sit back in the pocket like Hogeboom did because CJ has some speed and escapability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...