Best linebacker in East Texas this year?

Pittstrike52

7 hours ago, ANTI said:

They don't even get a chance to showcase their abilities past HS....so obviously the chances of seeing a 5'11 DE in the league is slim to none. Let's see what happens when actually given an opportunity.

The rest of your post sounds like those crazy folks who said Kyler Murray wouldn't even win a starting position in college, much less make it to the league because he wasn't 6'4 and didn't fit the profile of a "prototypical great american pocket passing QB". 

Dematrius Davis from NS is currently going through similar and what I call casual criticism....I mean the dude is easily the best QB in the state and probably the best TXHSFB QB I've seen since Murray and here we are criticizing him and doubting his long term abilities because he ain't tall....that's silly. I'm just happy guys like Murray and now Davis were given opportunities past HS. Once upon time, recruiters were a lot more close minded to that idea. So there's progress there. 

Also, once upon a time, folks asked the same exact question about QB that you just asked about DE. No more than a decade ago. "How many below 6'4, non pocket passing QBs you see in the NFL?" 

Now you look around the league, and the best QB's are 5'11-6'2...dual threat guys lol Mahomes right in that 6'2-6'3 range. 

As for me being too dismissive toward rankings....listen majority (NOT ALL) of that stuff is so camp/combine based these days, its not even funny. Players being rated highly due to size and fast 40 yard dashes at a Nike combine.

Sue me for seeing the talent in a 5'7 safety who was all state three straight years with zero offers, but miraculously would've had every offer under the sun had he been 6'1 lol 

This ain't basketball. Size will never equate to talent in football.

you make great points. I just say would you rather have 5'8 dual threat aka Kyler Murray or 6'2 Dual Threat aka LamarJackson.  

There are always exceptions to the rule, but if two guys have equal skill set, and one 5'9 and the other is 6'3, who you taking?  Size does matter because there are things a 6'4 person can do that a 5'8 person can't. Reach matters for a position like DE, when the Off tackle is 6'5 and up. Its a reason why Usain Bolt was unbeatable. He could cover the 100m in less steps. 

Besides, going D-1 aint the end all be all. Most undersize talented kids go D-2 or so. Go ball out at lower levels and NFL will be there. If you good, the NFL will take a chance regardless of height..Doug Flutie, Darren Sproles, Elvis Dumerville, London Fletcher...and many more. 

Saw him last year in a game and some video highlights of him. Jackson Illingworth from Elysian Fields is the real deal. #4, says 6'2" 205.  Reading up on him he was 3rd team all state last year and had 166 tackles and 10 sacks in 2019.  In Longview paper today was their defensive player of the week, opened the season with 23 tackles against Harmony.

• Like 1

cant get no reply  from Thompson office but there a two kids there local news put out the 5 star all state 3 team all American first team all state headed for Baylor .the other kid first team all dist 2nd team all state  very fast headed to USC need help on there names you guys cant leave them out WO-S