Jump to content

Celina vs Paris 09/04


RedRed
 Share

Recommended Posts

This should be another good game this week. Celina has a strong defense but against Melissa the offense pretty much looked the same as in the last few years except without Logan Point who could take a hit and keep moving forward. If Paris can take away the big 6'7 receiver from Celina the passing game is non factor. I do think Celina's defense will keep them in this game however, question is can Celina muster up some offense. I think this will be a low scoring affair. Also Celina has a really good sophomore kid that has good size playing running back they need to utilize more. The kid is gonna be a monster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were high expectations for Celina's offense coming into this year, and there still are, really. That Melissa game was a bit confounding. Offensively, we're breaking in a new QB, a new RB corps, and a brand new, first-time OC. All of that showed mightily. The play calling was very suspect, and I imagine the new guy, McClain, will get that ironed out coming into this week. By all accounts, he works his tail off as a coach, and he took that loss harder than anyone. Along those same lines, the play calling just never allowed the new QB to get into any kind of rhythm and build any confidence. They would run the 6'7 guy (Dell’Anno) on a go route every time and hope the throw was somewhere in the neighborhood. He beat the coverage several times and the QB just didn't get the ball anywhere close. He actually made an unbelievable contested catch on one play ... but the pass was way out of bounds. But credit the Melissa defense for not allowing them to get anything to him. Apart from that, though, the passing game was so confusing. Only a couple of plays were drawn up to get some short receptions, or quick-hit type attacks. I saw very little to no motion. No misdirection. Nothing to just get the ball out quick to the guys in space. We've got some speedsters who can make plays. Just did not even attempt to get them the ball. We scored a long TD on a PA pass to the sophomore RB, and it was a beautifully drawn up play out of the full house look. Then we ran the same play again ... only EVERYONE in the stadium was expecting it. That's just the inexperience of the OC right there.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

There were high expectations for Celina's offense coming into this year, and there still are, really. That Melissa game was a bit confounding. Offensively, we're breaking in a new QB, a new RB corps, and a brand new, first-time OC. All of that showed mightily. The play calling was very suspect, and I imagine the new guy, McClain, will get that ironed out coming into this week. By all accounts, he works his tail off as a coach, and he took that loss harder than anyone. Along those same lines, the play calling just never allowed the new QB to get into any kind of rhythm and build any confidence. They would run the 6'7 guy (Dell’Anno) on a go route every time and hope the throw was somewhere in the neighborhood. He beat the coverage several times and the QB just didn't get the ball anywhere close. He actually made an unbelievable contested catch on one play ... but the pass was way out of bounds. But credit the Melissa defense for not allowing them to get anything to him. Apart from that, though, the passing game was so confusing. Only a couple of plays were drawn up to get some short receptions, or quick-hit type attacks. I saw very little to no motion. No misdirection. Nothing to just get the ball out quick to the guys in space. We've got some speedsters who can make plays. Just did not even attempt to get them the ball. We scored a long TD on a PA pass to the sophomore RB, and it was a beautifully drawn up play out of the full house look. Then we ran the same play again ... only EVERYONE in the stadium was expecting it. That's just the inexperience of the OC right there.

 

Celina's firs three games are brutal to say the least, but I assume they needed to play some good teams because Celina has zero competition in district.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some changes I really hope to see this week, offensively: Sophomore Trae Hollins needs to be the featured back in all formations. Martinez is a good little ball player, but he's just a step slower than Hollins getting to the hole, and he does not have the bulk/strength to fall forward on contact, and he does not have the athleticism to free himself of that contact. Hollins is raw, and you can see that, but he's also very gifted, physically. He has a good feel for the game, and he fights hard for yardage. He hits the hole quick, and he fell forward every single time. I'd like to see him get the ball more out of shotgun, pro-Iand not just in the full-house, where it's obvious which direction he's going.

I'd also like to see us work really hard early on to establish the pass, rather than the run. I really hope they draw up some plays that get the ball out of Davenport's hands quicker and into the hands of the receivers so that they can make plays in space, or at least attempt to. I'd like to see some motion and misdirection, something to just make the defense think a little bit more. I'd like to see them fight to get Dell'Anno involved. Mix up his route tree, mix up his positioning. Just move him around a bit. Collin Urich is another receiver who I hope they get involved more.

If we can establish the pass early, it's going to give Davenport some confidence, and help him get on the same page as his receivers. And it will open up some big holes for the running game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But I'm with you, Red, Celina's defense will keep them in just about any game this year. Paris will have plenty of speed and size, I have no doubt. If Celina can establish an ability to throw the ball early on, I think we win by a couple of possessions. If we can't do that, we'll have to eek out a 21-20, 24-20-type win. It will be another brutal test for the Bobcats, but they definitely need it, because like you said, the district will provide nothing but four weeks of starters playing a half and second- and third-team guys getting reps in the second half. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont know who to pick in this game. Will Celina be hungry or will they be defeated from last week? If they lose and go down 0-2 the Argyle in my mind loses a lot of meaning for them. If Celina goes 0-3 then that has to be a huge blow because ive heard for a few years now this year is the team that going all the way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RedRed said:

I dont know who to pick in this game. Will Celina be hungry or will they be defeated from last week? If they lose and go down 0-2 the Argyle in my mind loses a lot of meaning for them. If Celina goes 0-3 then that has to be a huge blow because ive heard for a few years now this year is the team that going all the way. 

Hungry is a good way to describe it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wingtveer said:

I’m going with the bobcats. They’ll get the offense polished and take care of business. 

I would not be so sure about that......it sounds to me from what dotcom is saying that they have tons of work left to do in that offensive scheme first.  Paris on the other hand just defeated a State Champion Tulsa Christian school that's touted to win state again this season.  To me, that says a whole bunch about where Paris is to start their season with the personnel and team they have.......which we all know is highly ranked with 2 great RB's and Hohenberger back this season at QB.  They have athletes with speed and talent on both sides of the ball and are basically gonna pick up where they left off last year.  Sure.......they lost some guys to graduation just like every other team does......but they had some guys filling in for the starters last season and those that got injured for the season too.  My gut feeling without seeing either team yet this  season is that Paris will have a very good corp of skill players on offense and like always a very athletic defense with speed everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I would not be so sure about that......it sounds to me from what dotcom is saying that they have tons of work left to do in that offensive scheme first.  Paris on the other hand just defeated a State Champion Tulsa Christian school that's touted to win state again this season.  To me, that says a whole bunch about where Paris is to start their season with the personnel and team they have.......which we all know is highly ranked with 2 great RB's and Hohenberger back this season at QB.  They have athletes with speed and talent on both sides of the ball and are basically gonna pick up where they left off last year.  Sure.......they lost some guys to graduation just like every other team does......but they had some guys filling in for the starters last season and those that got injured for the season too.  My gut feeling without seeing either team yet this  season is that Paris will have a very good corp of skill players on offense and like always a very athletic defense with speed everywhere.

This game will be played at Wildcat Stadium in Paris.......which to me is an advantage for Paris.  In a close game home field advantage always helps.  Paris has those two RB's Jackson and Washington that could break off long runs at anytime.......Celina's defense will be tested all night.  Hohenberger can toss it too.......and has some very speedy recievers if he can get the ball into their hands.  Not sure what Paris has on defense, but they have always had a pretty stout defense thru the years.  Celina will have to make that big jump from Week 1 to Week 2 to be ready for the Wildcats playing in Wildcat Stadium this week.  Paris won last week and Celina lost......both were big games against top tier teams.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I would not be so sure about that......it sounds to me from what dotcom is saying that they have tons of work left to do in that offensive scheme first.  Paris on the other hand just defeated a State Champion Tulsa Christian school that's touted to win state again this season.  To me, that says a whole bunch about where Paris is to start their season with the personnel and team they have.......which we all know is highly ranked with 2 great RB's and Hohenberger back this season at QB.  They have athletes with speed and talent on both sides of the ball and are basically gonna pick up where they left off last year.  Sure.......they lost some guys to graduation just like every other team does......but they had some guys filling in for the starters last season and those that got injured for the season too.  My gut feeling without seeing either team yet this  season is that Paris will have a very good corp of skill players on offense and like always a very athletic defense with speed everywhere.

I would not put too much stock into Tulsa Metro Christian as they are a 2A school which in OK I think means enrollment between 200-350. I actually expected Paris to win by a larger margin than 20.

I'll take Paris at home by a slim 27-24 margin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Texski said:

I would not put too much stock into Tulsa Metro Christian as they are a 2A school which in OK I think means enrollment between 200-350. I actually expected Paris to win by a larger margin than 20.

I'll take Paris at home by a slim 27-24 margin.

Yeah Ok........but I did see some of last seasons clips on MaxPreps and their QB looked very good as only a soph last season.  He was definitely head and shoulders above the competition in those clips.  They did win a SC title in the private school category.......which means they can get players to transfer there from wherever.  I'm not sure about how the classifications breakdown in Okla. compared to Texas either.......2A there might be equal to 3A here......and then what about  the classifications in the private school part vs their public school classifications in Okla???  So there's some bit of noncomparison and nonclarity about how good that team from Tulsa really is.  All I know is what I saw on the clips and their record last season......they looked pretty darn good to me and so did that QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Texski said:

I would not put too much stock into Tulsa Metro Christian as they are a 2A school which in OK I think means enrollment between 200-350. I actually expected Paris to win by a larger margin than 20.

I'll take Paris at home by a slim 27-24 margin.

I saw the game. Tulsa Metro Christian was a pretty good team. They had as many players on the sidelines as Paris did and they had good size. They are not what you would think of as a 2a Texas team. They are a private school (ie recruiting). They get to compete in the public school districts though. I would compare them to a Faith Family in basketball here in Texas. In other words, they get to recruit players and play in a smaller classification With public schools. They dominated that classification in Oklahoma last year and will probably win it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Metro Christian is pass-oriented and was able to out-gain the Cats last week.  They only scored twice but had a couple of red-zone meltdowns that allowed Paris to pull away.  The Cats will always have some dangerous skill players, and Hohenberger is a solid 2-way threat who looks like a legit all-district QB candidate.  Cats don't have the size they've had the past few years, and will be challenged to win the line of scrimmage against most top teams.  They developed some poor tackling habits last season that really put the brakes on a promising start for 2019.  That trend carried over into Friday's game.  This Celina game will be an interesting test, especially with tough games coming up next vs. PG and Heritage.   The last two Paris-Celina matchups have been watershed moments.  Cats won 54-14 in 2018 in a rout that really sparked their region semi run.  Celina administered a 34-0 whipping in 2019, and Paris never really recovered before ending with a first-round playoff exit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parisian is right. The past two matchups between the Bobcats and the Wildcats have been a bit bizarre. In 2018, Paris just took Celina to the woodshed. Last year, Celina returned the favor. So it's hard to get a bead on how this matchup might play out. I'd like to think this year's showdown would be a bit closer. I have no doubts Paris will have the horses to put up some points. But the Bobcats have some speed on defense and can certainly handle their own, especially up front. The front seven is really good, and is going to be really really good by season's end. The linebackers all move to the ball really well, can cover in space, and can create disruption in the passing game with pressure on the QB.

I'll be interested in seeing how the Bobcats handle Hohenberger this week, as a dual threat QB. It takes supreme discipline to handle those types of guys. The secondary likely has to stick on their guys a tick longer, the defensive line has to set the edge, create pressure but NOT get flushed too far upfield, and the linebackers have to be able to close the distance and make a tackle in space. Sounds easy, but those good athletes make it seem nearly impossible.

If the Bobcats' front seven plays as well as they did against Melissa, then I think this will be a very good game with a slim margin. If Hohenberger starts making plays with his feet, it could be a long night. But I really, really liked what I saw from the defense — apart from a few miscues and mental blips against the Cardinals — and I think they're good enough to keep Celina in just about any game.

It all comes down to whether or not the offense irons out a few things this week. Need to see a bit more effort out of the offensive line. They have potential to be great, and they need to carry themselves and perform that way. If they play up to their potential, and if we see the sophomore back with a dozen or so more carries, and if we get Davenport some early confidence throws, I like Celina to win a close one. Should be a good game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paris has a ton of speed on both sides. Their secondary is pretty solid. Celina’s defense is eating Paris up in the backfield. Sloppy, sloppy penalties have killed the Bobcats offense. Look for some better football in the second half from both teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Paris wins 10-7 on a 38-yard FG in OT.

Nice win for the Wildcats. They made plays when they had to. They literally stole it. Celina should’ve won by about 21-0 or 28-0. Bobcats gonna start 0-3 after next week.

Spoken like a true Celina homer. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...