Celina vs Paris 09/04

RedRed

Of note, in the fourth quarter, Celina went away from senior Davenport at QB to sophomore Noah Bentley, and it did not appear to be due to injury. Bentley is a better athlete and an OU baseball commit. He can really throw it, but he’s going to be raw. Now we have got to get the playcalling to improve tenfold. The offensive sets are frustrating to watch, quite honestly. No mixing things up. No unpredictability. No movement. No misdirection. I know our OC is new and still growing and learning, but he’s got to get some things figured out in a hurry. One of the big things to fix is discipline. An unreal amount of false starts and mental mistakes. Can’t win ANY game with that.

2 minutes ago, bluetopper said:

Spoken like a true Celina homer. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Yeah I’m a Celina homer. Doesn’t make it untrue. I gave props to Paris too, and I’ll repeat what I said, they made plays when they needed to. They were not the better team.

That's the best the Paris D has looked since early 2019.  They really impressed me not cratering against Celina's huge O-line.  The tackling was outstanding.  Of course, Celina helped with the turnovers and penalties.

The Celina defense stuffed the box and didn't allow many breakouts for the Paris skill players.  Hohenberger can make plays, but the Paris offense has got to find ways to give him time.

I know 10-7 slugfests aren't everyone's cup of tea, and, yes, the game was early-season sloppy, but I kinda like the throwback to the old days. 

8 hours ago, Parisian said:

That's the best the Paris D has looked since early 2019.  They really impressed me not cratering against Celina's huge O-line.  The tackling was outstanding.  Of course, Celina helped with the turnovers and penalties.

The Celina defense stuffed the box and didn't allow many breakouts for the Paris skill players.  Hohenberger can make plays, but the Paris offense has got to find ways to give him time.

I know 10-7 slugfests aren't everyone's cup of tea, and, yes, the game was early-season sloppy, but I kinda like the throwback to the old days. 

Both teams will give themselves a chance in a lot of games because of how good their defenses are. I was really impressed with Paris’s overall speed. Jackson and Washington can fly, but everybody on the Wildcats defense seemed like burners. I was really impressed with No. 10 and No. 6 on the defensive side. Great playmakers. Hard-hitting ballhawks. Paris and Celina seem to be in a similar boat right now. Well above average defenses compensating for middling offenses that can’t seem to find their way. Just like Paris, Celina has playmakers, we’re just not finding a way to utilize them very well right now. To me, Paris seems to be running the wrong system. Get Jackson and Washington in space, or let Hohenberger take snaps in shotgun, and the Wildcats become a different beast, in my opinion. Either way, Paris will challenge Melissa for second in that district, I think. They have the defense to play with the Cardinals, but as of right now, Melissa will feast on the defensive side, similar to what they did against Celina.

Celina @ Argyle and PG @ Paris next Friday........both will be underdogs.  It will be a perfect time for both teams to try to open up their offenses more since they will be underdogs anyway.  Week 3 should bring a good leap in improvement for the offenses to catch up with the defenses.  There is just more on the offensive side to deal with and also its easier to make mistakes from the offensive side.......so it usually takes longer to see positive improvement and results.