Celina(0-2) vs Argyle(2-0) Week 3/Rivalry Game

regaleagle

1 hour ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

I have been following Celina Bobcat football since the early 90s and I can't remember a 0-3 start for them since maybe early 90s the community is praying for a win I am sure but not going to happen till week 4.

AHS by 17

Yeah, you'd have to go back to at least the mid-80s to find an 0-3 start. Been a minute.

10 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Well, I'd have to do a lot more digging to find out when they started 0-3. But I know you'd have to AT LEAST go back to the year I was born, in 1987. It has not happened in my lifetime, that I'm aware of, anyway.

But you're right, the schedule has been brutal. I'm OK with it, honestly, because district and the early round of the playoffs are going to be somewhat vanilla.

And yes, the playbook needs to open up a bit. It doesn't need to get more complex, necessarily, just opened up. For the life of me I cannot figure out why we're not mixing up the formations, running a bit of full house, running a bit of the pro-I unbalanced look from back in the G.A. Moore/Butch Ford days, especially with the big heavies we've got. And for crying out loud, I'd love to see some crossing patterns in the passing game. We are not attacking the middle of the field at all and I don't know why.

maybe the 1983 team that finished 1-9.

After reviewing the Celina/Paris stream, it was so apparent that this game was dominated by both defenses.  I agree with d0tc0m that the soph. QB injected late in the game showed that he should be the QB for the rest of the season.......he's got a great arm(baseball commit to Okla. already) and is much more mobile than Davenport the senior.  Both teams need more offensive sets or different offensive sets......both are too vanilla on offense......Paris even moreso than Celina.  Paris needs to give QB Hohenberger a better view and chance by moving to the pistol or shotgun.......it would change the dynamics for the Wildcat offense immediately.  Hohenberger looks good.......but his talents can be utilized best if he was not taking the snaps under center 100% of the time......25% would be far more effective.  Same for their RB's and of course this change would also improve the Wildcat passing game effectiveness immensely.  Celina takes snaps from the shotgun 75% of the time already and looks pretty versatile but needs to develop more plays out of their offensive scheme.  I think the soph QB will really help this team.......they already have a very good defense.  Use Davenport as the backup and at wideout as another weapon.  Both teams need some tweaking on offense.......right now, not later.

As for this upcoming game with Argyle in Celina on Friday........Celina will have a very good defense to rely upon for certain.  They have a very good kicking game also and excellent coverage teams.  The linebackers looked good against a vanilla offense from Paris.......but those dynamics will change against Argyle's multi-weaponized offensive scheme.  Celina will definitely make the big leap it needs to make on offense with the soph QB Noah Bentley directing the attack.......he has the talent and just needs the opportunity. By the time the playoffs get here,  I think Bentley and Celina will be ready to make a deep run in the playoffs in Division 2.  But for now........Argyle definitely has the advantage offensively.  AND it appears the Eagles defense will be able to get some stops while they are still improving on that side of the ball.  Should be a very good game to watch.......to see how much Argyle improves on defense and how much Celina improves on offense.  I think Celina will give Argyle a very good test and Argyle will expose any weaknesses Celina may have defensively.  It remains to be seen what Celina will do offensively in this game........but I'm certain they will be able to put up some scores against the Argyle D........just not enough scores.

Paris will be tested against PG this week also.......both offensively and defensively.  They looked impressive on defense.......good speed on both offense and defense and very athletic.  Paris has some quality players on both sides of the ball.  They will not see Argyle until the very last district game.

There's no question Celina's defense is good. They've played more than well enough for the Bobcats to win their first two games. But they have not faced a multi-faceted attack like the one they'll see Friday. Argyle can hit you from anywhere on the field. Even without Byce — any word on his status? — the Eagles have a capable back in Knox Scoggins in the backfield to anchor a solid rushing attack. You've got Kirkpatrick and Walker at receiver who are going to make a lot of defenses look silly. Mix in the youngster Pitts, Scoggins out of the backfield and the nearly impossible to guard Jasper Lott at TE, and you've got a nightmare to plan against. Not to mention, one of the best o-lines, if not THE best, in 4A buying time for Rogers to find his man. Oh, and if he can't find someone, he can scoot a bit on his own too. With Hogenboom back there, if you could get to him, you could win the play. With Rogers, simply getting back there isn't enough, because he moves much better and can make plays on the run if needed.

Now, Celina has the speed on the defensive side of the ball to run with Argyle. But even still, you can't expect your secondary to stick to receivers for more than a few seconds. That's where it becomes paramount that we apply some sort of pressure — so much easier said than done — on Rogers, but not get washed so far upfield that he can escape the pocket and buy time with his feet. The other thing Celina will have to key in on is Lott finding space on delayed routes, AND those quick slants from the slot receivers, or the quick underneath route from the outside guy. Just a quick and simple pitch-and-catch to an athlete who can then make a play. That has killed Celina in the past, and even PG struggled mightily against it.

I think if you're being extremely optimistic, you can hope that the Bobcats defense gets 3 maybe 4 stops in this game, and maybe one of those is a turnover — although the Eagles haven't been prone to coughing it up much through two games. But even IF you can get that many stops, you've got to turn it into points on the other end of the field. So far, Celina's offense hasn't showed enough to make you think they can do that. Perhaps Bentley gets the start at QB tomorrow, and I think he increases the chances. But he's young and maybe he'll be prone to mistakes in such a big game. Or maybe he is just young enough to not know what he's up against and has the confidence to make plays in this game.

Either way, what I really want to see is how well the defense handles the Argyle offensive machine and discipline, and how much, if any, pressure we can get in the backfield. And I want to see the offense just progress. Show some improvement. Show some new wrinkles. Show some diversity in looks, play calling. Show that they can move the ball consistently. Show they can get the ball to the playmakers. Show more discipline and FAR FEWER penalties. Show they can throw the ball on any down. Show they can overcome a 1st-and-15, etc.

Win or lose, if the effort is there and you see the improvement you hope to see in Week 3, I'll be happy. I'm obviously hoping for a Celina win, and I'll eat more crow than anyone if they pull it off. But I just want to see that the improvements are happening that need to occur for this team to get where it wants to be at the end of the year.

Word I have on Byce is he tweaked a hamstring and they want to get Baker and Scoggins plenty of action early just in case Byce has a problem again with his leg.  For now,  there is no reason to put him in an unreasonable situation until he feels 100% and they feel the same way.  I think we can expect to see Byce get more playing time as the season progresses, but not so much now.

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

Word I have on Byce is he tweaked a hamstring and they want to get Baker and Scoggins plenty of action early just in case Byce has a problem again with his leg.  For now,  there is no reason to put him in an unreasonable situation until he feels 100% and they feel the same way.  I think we can expect to see Byce get more playing time as the season progresses, but not so much now.

Well, hopefully he gets healthy enough to get to enjoy plenty of time his senior season. If he does get healthy, he'll be a difference maker in the playoffs, that's for sure. Scoggins has been great, but there's no question that the offense is even that much more potent with Byce back there.

• Like 1

I was definitely impressed with Celina's new stadium and high school facilities when I attended the game there in 2018.  Texas Bob's has the stadium capacity listed at 6500.   I would guess that the visitor's side occupies roughly 1/3 of that total.......so somewhere around 2200.  Looks like 50% capacity for this game will be about 3200.  Argyle will most likely want to bring as many as possible to this game........maybe 1000 tickets have been allotted for Argyle???  I wonder if the band and drill team will also be allowed this week to attend this away game in Celina.   The band is only about 100 or less students, and the drill team maybe 30.......I don't know the exact numbers.  It sure does make watching the game more exciting to have the band and drill team on board and in support of the team.   I would like to think that this rivalry game will still be massively attended by the Celina folks even though they have lost their first two games this season and the Covid restrictions are in place.  50% of their side of the stadium must seat at least 2000 or thereabouts.  Celina's band has less members than Argyle's and their drill team does too.  It would be nice to see a bustling gametime atmosphere Friday night in Celina.

Argyle's new high school and stadium is well under construction and will be completed sometime in the summer of 2021 for the opening at the beginning of the school year in 2021.  The actual new turf field is already completed......as is many other structures around the campus.  Just across the way from the high school now off 407 and 377.  I don't have any specifics on what the capacity of the new stadium will be.......probably something similar to Celina's with the same optional space to increase the seating in later years.  Right now the capacity of Argyle's stadium has seating for 5000.......so the new stadium capacity might even double that amount.  Home games in past seasons are packed on the home side,  and sometimes on the visitor's side also......depending on the opponent.  Argyle will either move up to Class 5A-DII in the 2022 realignment.....or be just under the enrollment cut line.......just depends on how the numbers fall with the UIL.  

Under ordinary circumstances(like in 2018) the Argyle visiting side would bring at least 1500 fans......so 1000 tickets to this game for the Argyle side is very reasonable because of the rivalry nature of this game and the proximity of the two schools.  I will not be attending this game because I don't have a ticket and cannot expect to get one, either.  I hope I can watch this game on Youtube tonight on either the Argyle Youtube livestream or the Celina live stream.   I watched last week's PG game on the PG Livestream because the Argyle Livestream had "technical difficulties" in producing a viewable stream.  

I bought a small(2 lbs.) Eye of Round beef roast the other day for this game.  My menu will consist of thinly sliced roast beef in au jus in the crockpot with hogie buns to make roast beef sandwiches.  There will be some home made chili con queso and fresh avocado guacamole dips with the tortilla chips,  and some Bush's baked beans.  I cook the roast beef in the oven first to rare.......then slice it very thinly with my Cuisinart Electric knife.  I then drop the slices into the crock pot with the black peppered Au Jus and keep the temperature setting on low.  The Au Jus also has thinly sliced onions in it.  I only drop in enough roast beef for eating one meal......the rest is reserved in rare condition on the eye of round for later meals.  I think the roast beef eye of round was somewhere around $8 or $9 bucks......a great value considering the cost of everything else you can choose from.  I had chili dogs last week......with all the sides.

When I make the Chili con Queso.......I begin with Jimmy Dean's Sage pork breakfast sausage and chopped onions.....browned.....and then add my Rotel tomatoes, cumin, and garlic.  Then I melt the velveeta cheese(small block) and add just a bit of medium hot salsa to the cheese dip......comes out fantastic every time.  I've tried Owens Hot breakfast sausage......but would suggest you use the Jimmy Deans Sage for the best-tasting results. Don't skimp on the type of sausage used in this recipe......they are all within $1 of each other and you only use a  small amount of the total 1 lb. tube.

For Gameday Saturday football......I'll have the leftover dips, a vegetable platter of carrots, celery sticks, sliced cucumber, green onions, cantelope and watermelon wedges,  sliced apple wedges, red grapes, cherry tomatoes, green olives, cubed cheese bites, little smokie sausages in barbecue sauce, and chicken wings I bought frozen that I will need to cook and dress the way I like them.  And of course some chips for the dips.  I also like to buy the spinach dip for the veggies. This amount is good for all day and even on Sunday to munch on.......depending on the size of your contingent watching along with you.

I'm starting off today's Argyle/Celina Gameday with some breakfast tacos.  I made a big batch of them yesterday morning.......potatoes, that breakfast sausage, some onions, and eggs with La Constena nacho slices diced and mixed into the eggs.  Cube the potatoes and cook in butter and a little water to start, get the sausage going in another skillet and add some chopped onion.  Pour the potatoes into the skillet with the sausage-onion mixture when it is browned, then add a little more butter and the eggs. Cook over medium heat.....stirring to get an even mix of all ingredients while the eggs scramble.  Heat the tortillas in the oven and put it all together.  Mine with one potato cubed and 5 eggs w/ milk and a little water made 8 breakfast tacos.  4 were left over for this morning.  My son made some of his famous home-made fresh salsa......it's killer stuff.  I guess you could add some of your favorite grated cheese also.......but I leave out the cheese.......I want the taste just the way it is.  The cheese tends to overtake the rest of the flavors.