Celina(0-2) vs Argyle(2-0) Week 3/Rivalry Game

regaleagle

Now the Celina offense has just been a complete head scratcher. Schematically, I just honestly don't get it. We've got a 6'7 receiver who we cannot get the ball to. He's lined up super wide every single play and runs go-routes most of the time, and we just hope the QB can be on the money with a low-percentage throw. On the other side, we've got a decent receiver in Collin Urich who is much smaller than Dell'Anno, but probably a little faster. But same thing. Line up wide, go deep. No mixing up the formation. No mixing up where those guys line up. No motion. No jet sweeps to try and loosen the defensive front. Not quick screens. No inside routes AT ALL. No motioning the backs out of the backfield. No utilizing the big junior TE. Not much power run game anymore. It's just really bizarre to watch, honestly.

Martinez at RB is not bad, and the sophomore Trae Hollins is going to be really good. But they're not on the same level as PG's stable of backs. And you can just about bet Celina is going to take the shotgun snap on first and second down and hand it to whoever is in the backfield. Almost a guarantee. I'm not spewing state secrets here. So if you stack the box on those early downs, you've got a good chance of getting the ball back quickly.

I'll say this, the Bobcats moved from a senior at QB to a sophomore OU baseball commit late in the Paris game. He didn't look overwhelmed. He's a great athlete, and he's got a good arm. He just needs reps, and he needs some receivers to find the open space. What he does provide that the senior Davenport doesn't is the ability to use his legs. He's not a burner, but he can move and he's a big kid.

Overall, Celina does not have the athletes that Argyle has, but they DO have some guys that can play. The kids are playing hard. They really are. You can't fault them on their effort, most of the time, other than the mental lapses that lead to countless false starts. The shortcomings appear to be on the coaching side of things, in my opinion, and even some of those false starts/mental lapses can fall on coaching. I know Coach Elliot is a good coach, and I have complete faith in him to get this thing going. And I'm sure the new OC McClain is putting in the hours to find something that works. It just hasn't shown up yet, and there didn't seem to be many adjustments at all from week one to week two.

At any rate, I still think this Celina team can be very good, I still believe in the coaches, and I'll support the Bobcats no matter what.

2 hours ago, swaha said:

I am not sure if you are being facetious, but your comments can be misconstrued.. Maybe it is just your writing style...if so I would change it up somewhat.

This is a message board to express opinions. My opinion is that Argyle has overall better athletes than Celina and will execute their offense better. The Celina OL is not near as good as Argyle's. Even though the Argyle defense can give up some plays, it will not give up enough for Celina to win the game. The Argyle offense is too potent with the Rogers kid at QB. I could be wrong because these are HS kids playing, but I do not think this game will be close.  

I was NOT being facetious........I haven't seen the game stream and was seriously asking.  But let's say I've gained a very healthy respect for Celina over the years and what they are capable of regardless of perceptions.  Evidently the younger  viewers don't share the same respect as I have acquired over the years.

I realize I must sound like a lawyer questioning the validity of my own client.......but in football isn't this exactly what the coaches do to prepare their team mentally for the upcoming battle?  There's a fine line between self-confidence and overconfidence.......esp. when dealing with your football rival Celina Bobcats that actually COULD pull off the upset.

55 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I was NOT being facetious........I haven't seen the game stream and was seriously asking.  But let's say I've gained a very healthy respect for Celina over the years and what they are capable of regardless of perceptions.  Evidently the younger  viewers don't share the same respect as I have acquired over the years.

Ok. Celina has a great reputation and pedigree. If you watch the stream, you will form your own opinion. I am not as young as you may think.

27 minutes ago, swaha said:

Ok. Celina has a great reputation and pedigree. If you watch the stream, you will form your own opinion. I am not as young as you may think.

I was referring to the Argyle poster.......not you.  They are the ones that may not appreciate those years Argyle struggled to get to where they are now as a program.

• Thanks 1

And I’m not that young either my friend. I have just as much respect for Celina and their tradition as the next person. But I also call it like I see it. I’ve watched the game stream of Celina and Paris, and all I can say is both of those teams are in trouble this week. They are not in the same class as Argyle right now. Nothing against them, that’s just what I see. Your giving perspectives from a coaches standpoint and I’m giving it from a fans. It’s obvious Argyles talent level is above Celinas right now. From what I’ve seen so far with this Argyle team, best one yet. Pleasant Grove is a very well coached and physical team. And even tho Argyle made mistakes, they physically man handled the state champs and had their way. Celina don’t have enough athletes to compete with Argyle. This teams offense is more explosive then last years and they are doing it without Tito Bryce. The Defense is not perfect, but they have improved tremendously from last year. By no means am I bragging on Argyle, I’m just giving credit where it’s due.

7 minutes ago, Argyle2014 said:

And I’m not that young either my friend. I have just as much respect for Celina and their tradition as the next person. But I also call it like I see it. I’ve watched the game stream of Celina and Paris, and all I can say is both of those teams are in trouble this week. They are not in the same class as Argyle right now. Nothing against them, that’s just what I see. Your giving perspectives from a coaches standpoint and I’m giving it from a fans. It’s obvious Argyles talent level is above Celinas right now. From what I’ve seen so far with this Argyle team, best one yet. Pleasant Grove is a very well coached and physical team. And even tho Argyle made mistakes, they physically man handled the state champs and had their way. Celina don’t have enough athletes to compete with Argyle. This teams offense is more explosive then last years and they are doing it without Tito Bryce. The Defense is not perfect, but they have improved tremendously from last year. By no means am I bragging on Argyle, I’m just giving credit where it’s due.

To be totally honest.......I agree with you on just about everythiing you just posted......except that I have not seen the game stream yet.  I did watch the Decatur game stream 3 different times and the PG game stream 4 different times already.......studying and comparing closely all that I could see and take in from both games.  I saw some improvement from Week 1 to Week 2 in some areas.......alot of areas both offensively and defensively.  I just hope that Argyle keeps improving each week.......La Vega next week will be the statewide Game of the Week if Argyle wins again this week.  And it will be a home game for Argyle.......a very BIG home game!  Better to be a voice of reason in the wilderness than a howling coyote on a hill in the moonlight......just sayin'.

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

It's unfortunate that it's only Monday evening and we are all in agreement already!!   Even Celina's sole poster d0tc0m is in agreement, LOL.  What will we talk about between now and gametime the rest of the week???

I’ll certainly chime in and provide plenty more commentary. But the fact of the matter is, at this juncture, Argyle is just head and shoulders above Celina. I love my Bobcats and always will, but that’s just the truth.

And it’s not going to hurt my feelings if people have that take lol, because it’s just the truth, it’s not personal. There was a time — when I was in school and when my little brother were in school — that we used to beat the Eagles pretty mercilessly. Argyle has certainly returned the favor lol.

I don’t know if it’s a development issue at Celina or whether we just do not get the athletes that Argyle gets, but there is a clear gap between the two, and it’s led to some lopsided matchups.

But I know the Bobcats will give it all they’ve got. I still feel good about this group. They still have good chemistry and really, really want to succeed and put Celina back in the statewide conversation.

44 minutes ago, Argyle2014 said:

Well, I’m looking forward to seeing Celinas new stadium. There was so much tradition at the old stadium this is gonna feel different for sure.

The new stadium is very nice. Really pretty and high quality. Plenty of space, and under normal circumstances, it’d be packed on Friday night.

Youll enjoy your visit. But I do really miss the old stadium. I miss how packed it would be. I miss the junky old concession stand. I miss the parking adventures (kinda), and I miss seeing traffic stop on Pecan St to catch a few minutes of the game. I also miss how close the fans were to the action. But most of all, I miss all the winning we used to do there. Lots of good memories!

Regal I absolutely enjoy reading what you put on this forum. Your passion for Argyle football is appreciated and respected. I absolutely love Argyle Eagle Football. Every year I expect them to compete for a state title. And this year is no different. The Eagles definitely have a gauntlet of a schedule especially starting district against a very good 2-0 Mellisa. I look for Argyle to improve each week at all phases of the game. This is a special group led by that O’Line and athletes and play makers everywhere. The key for Argyle is to stay healthy. If they can stay healthy I don’t think there is a team in 4a to stop them. 

5 hours ago, Argyle2014 said:

Regal I absolutely enjoy reading what you put on this forum. Your passion for Argyle football is appreciated and respected. I absolutely love Argyle Eagle Football. Every year I expect them to compete for a state title. And this year is no different. The Eagles definitely have a gauntlet of a schedule especially starting district against a very good 2-0 Mellisa. I look for Argyle to improve each week at all phases of the game. This is a special group led by that O’Line and athletes and play makers everywhere. The key for Argyle is to stay healthy. If they can stay healthy I don’t think there is a team in 4a to stop them. 

I'm thrilled to see some Argyllians come to this site and post.  It's not easy to be the only representative of your team doing all the posts.  It's better to have different perspectives from different people......esp. since I no longer have a son in high school and therefore I'm not directly connected into everything going on at the grassroots level. I do  have an innate love for everything Argyle since my son and I were part of the very first group of  freshmen and full graduating class of Argyle High School.  AND the very first trip to Tyler back then in what was 2A back then to that State Championship game vs Newton.  The weather was almost freezing and rainy in the first half, but what a thrilling season for a new program in only its 3rd season.  And my son was part of it and able to participate in that glorious happening......even though Argyle lost to Newton 28-20.  Newton ended up undefeated that season.  Since then......it's been a growing and ever-expanding improvement in all of the sports programs at Argyle......and even all the other UIL sanctioned events for the school.  It's truly a unique situation compared to just about every other high school in 4A in Texas.

Carthage has their own unique situation, and some other schools like PG and La Vega are building theirs ......its all good stuff and wonderful......we are blessed in Class 4A.

And now look and see what we also have in 4A.......the storied Coach Danaher and Calallen, Port Lavaca, CC Miller,  and Alice all down in Region 4 D-1 to change up the dynamics of the entire playoffs.  Now Carthage and Celina drop down to Division 2 to make that division even more competitive.  I'm telling you that Class 4A football in Texas has blossomed into something we haven't seen before this realignment.  Both divisions are chalked full of high-quality highly competitive football teams in all the different regions of the state now.  Some regions may still be stronger than others......but at least there is a higher level of football being played all over the state in Class 4A now more than ever before......in both divisions.  Class 3A is in a similar expansion of quality.

5 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I'm thrilled to see some Argyllians come to this site and post.  It's not easy to be the only representative of your team doing all the posts.  It's better to have different perspectives from different people......esp. since I no longer have a son in high school and therefore I'm not directly connected into everything going on at the grassroots level. I do  have an innate love for everything Argyle since my son and I were part of the very first group of  freshmen and full graduating class of Argyle High School.  AND the very first trip to Tyler back then in what was 2A back then to that State Championship game vs Newton.  The weather was almost freezing and rainy in the first half, but what a thrilling season for a new program in only its 3rd season.  And my son was part of it and able to participate in that glorious happening......even though Argyle lost to Newton 28-20.  Newton ended up undefeated that season.  Since then......it's been a growing and ever-expanding improvement in all of the sports programs at Argyle......and even all the other UIL sanctioned events for the school.  It's truly a unique situation compared to just about every other high school in 4A in Texas.

Carthage has their own unique situation, and some other schools like PG and La Vega are building theirs ......its all good stuff and wonderful......we are blessed in Class 4A.

Going way back to 2005! That was the season after I graduated, but my little brother was still in high school at Celina. And if I remember correctly — you Argyllians will have to verify — that Argyle team had three losses going into the playoffs. Celina, Propser and somebody else in the pre-district, can't remember. Of course, that was arguably the greatest team ever fielded by Celina. I remember pulling hard for the Eagles to win that Div. I state game over Newton, who went wire-to-wire as the No. 1 team in 2A, I believe. Regardless, it was a very good game and a nice launching point for the Argyle program.

Thinking about that Argyle team made me think of another Celina team that people sort of panicked on, and that was the 2008 group. I can say I was one of those who thought the sky was falling, and I can say I gladly ate my orange-and-white crow down the road. Coming off that dominant state title in 2007, there were HIGH expectations for the 2008 team, because they returned two crazy-good running backs in Troy McCartney and Charley Waldrep, and an all-world linebacker in Caleb Lavey.

After losses to a 2A Daingerfield (went on to win state) and 4A Whitehouse, Celina got manhandled by Prosper (went on to win the Div. I title), and I remember thinking this team would be lucky to get past the second round of the playoffs. Lo and behold, the team got a bit healthier, they started to gel, they improved from the losses and found their groove offensively and defensively, and by December, they looked like a lock to win another title.

They were the underdogs in a semifinal "rematch" with Liberty Hill — both teams won titles the year before — and Celina drubbed the Panthers 40-12 to advance to the championship round where we all witnessed the birth of the current Carthage dynasty. But if not for an NFL ready teenage Dwight Smith at running back, the Bobcats probably beat Carthage by a couple of possessions and add to the trophy case. Of course, that didn't happen, and Smith is still the most purely polished HS athlete I've ever seen in person, and by far the best Bulldog to ever wear the red and white. If you didn't get to see him in person, then nothing ever said about him on here or otherwise will do that young man's abilities justice.

I say all that to say, perhaps people like me should tap the sky-is-falling brakes a bit on this Celina team. The pieces are still there to make a long run, and who knows, by season's end, they could be surprising people, regardless of what happens Friday night. The defense is certainly good enough to allow that to happen.

19 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Saw this on another site, and I haven't put in the effort to verify it, but this is the first time Celina has started 0-2 since 1997.

When is the last time Celina started 0-3? 1997? Just a brutal schedule to start the year for the Bobcats.

I agree with you, their offense is head-scratching. Seems like they may need to evolve the playbook a bit.

2 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

When is the last time Celina started 0-3? 1997? Just a brutal schedule to start the year for the Bobcats.

I agree with you, their offense is head-scratching. Seems like they may need to evolve the playbook a bit.

Well, I'd have to do a lot more digging to find out when they started 0-3. But I know you'd have to AT LEAST go back to the year I was born, in 1987. It has not happened in my lifetime, that I'm aware of, anyway.

But you're right, the schedule has been brutal. I'm OK with it, honestly, because district and the early round of the playoffs are going to be somewhat vanilla.

And yes, the playbook needs to open up a bit. It doesn't need to get more complex, necessarily, just opened up. For the life of me I cannot figure out why we're not mixing up the formations, running a bit of full house, running a bit of the pro-I unbalanced look from back in the G.A. Moore/Butch Ford days, especially with the big heavies we've got. And for crying out loud, I'd love to see some crossing patterns in the passing game. We are not attacking the middle of the field at all and I don't know why.

At the end of the day, though, I can sit here and criticize the coaching and play calling and all that nonsense, and the truth is those guys on the coaching staff are WAAAAAAY smarter than I am. They're the ones around the kids. They're the ones putting in the countless hours of studying and installing and assessing their personnel. They are in all the meetings. And I know these coaches aren't trying to do anything BUT help these kids and this team succeed. So I can voice my frustrations, but it doesn't do any good. Just need to trust in the fact that these coaches and these kids are trying hard and just hope that we see that progression manifest on the field.

So my opinion means very little. I have faith the coaches will get it going, I really do. And regardless of Friday's outcome, I still think we'll be talking about Celina football past Thanksgiving this season.