***Week 5: Alto Yellowjackets (0-3) @ San Augustine Wolves (1-1) - 9/25/2020***

StingEmALTO

Alto @ San Augustine   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Alto
    • San Augustine

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2020 at 12:30 AM

Overall, I was pleased last night. Just looking at the squads, you’d say there is no way Alto can hang around with these guys for 3 quarters. Game got away from us in the 4th, but we played 3 solid quarters of very physical football. Seemed like teams were on a knee every time we turned around and I hope all the injured are ok this morning. (I know my son’s legs look like they’ve been through a meat grinder). Game could’ve easily been tied at the half. Instead, SA was able to complete a jump ball TD at the goal line from probably 30-35 yards out with time expiring as the ball was in the air. We come out and drive it down for a TD first rattle out of the gate after half which confirmed for me that we didn’t just manage to play a lucky 1st half of football. Eventually, the better team pulled away late which is what is typically the case. Ke. Barnes, if you could get this message, you are a special player. The sky is the limit for you and I wish you an astronomical amount of success this year and beyond as you play at the next level. 

As for us moving forward, I don’t feel like there is a game remaining on our district schedule that these young guys can’t put themselves in a position to win and if there was ever any uncertainty, I believe they now know that about themselves. Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out over here in district 11. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Overall, I was pleased last night. Just looking at the squads, you’d say there is no way Alto can hang around with these guys for 3 quarters. Game got away from us in the 4th, but we played 3 solid quarters of very physical football. Seemed like teams were on a knee every time we turned around and I hope all the injured are ok this morning. (I know my son’s legs look like they’ve been through a meat grinder). Game could’ve easily been tied at the half. Instead, SA was able to complete a jump ball TD at the goal line from probably 30-35 yards out with time expiring as the ball was in the air. We come out and drive it down for a TD first rattle out of the gate after half which confirmed for me that we didn’t just manage to play a lucky 1st half of football. Eventually, the better team pulled away late which is what is typically the case. Ke. Barnes, if you could get this message, you are a special player. The sky is the limit for you and I wish you an astronomical amount of success this year and beyond as you play at the next level. 

As for us moving forward, I don’t feel like there is a game remaining on our district schedule that these young guys can’t put themselves in a position to win and if there was ever any uncertainty, I believe they now know that about themselves. Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out over here in district 10. 

Well said. SA is a very physically imposing team to watch warm up. They have some huge guys! Our guys (as has been the case many times throughout Yellowjacket history) are not oversized. We went toe to toe with a good football team and hung with them as you said for 3 solid quarters. These young guys continue to impress me in their growth (and perseverance) from week to week. The offense finally made some things happen and the defense put up some stands. The guys in the trenches worked their butts off. Our returns were good and we saw some great (and improved) hits.

The loss was disappointing of course. But the experience and strides they are making is encouraging. It really started out for me like a David and Goliath type situation. When we held them their first two possessions and then drove it down and scored, I felt like our confidence shot through the roof. Effort and heart can’t be coached as everyone knows, but I feel like our boys rose up to the challenge of a superior team on this night and gave it all they had. We will continue to mature and get better. 9 sophomores and a freshman grinding it out growing up before our very eyes....holding their own against great competition gives hope.

On a side note, our band, cheerleaders, and crowd brought some dang energy. Proud to be a part of “The Mean Sting Family!”

#keepworking

• Like 3