***Week 6: Grapeland Sandies (4-1) @ Alto Yellowjackets (0-4) - 10/4/2020***

StingEmALTO

District Opener: Grapeland @ Alto  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Grapeland
    • Alto

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/2020 at 12:30 AM

The Alto Yellowjackets open District 11-2A D1 play when the Grapeland Sandies come to town on Friday, October 4th. The Jackets fell to San Augustine Friday night while the Sandies defeated Burkeville. Though improving each week, the Mean Sting is still looking for their first win of the 2020 season. Alto leads the series with Grapeland 39-22-1 and last played in 2015 when they were in the same district; Alto won that game 48-28. The Sandies’ last victory was in 1991, a 41-21 win.

Second season begins Friday! Who goes 1-0?

Interesting side note: Alto and Grapeland first played in Alto’s inaugural season in 1927, a 14-0 Jacket win. Grapeland began playing football 2 years earlier in 1925. Grapeland’s first win over Alto came in 1934 18-6. These two go way back! 😂 

• Like 1

Heart says Grapeland but I think Alto will put four Qt together this week and pull off the win. 

Grapeland has the most talent, speed and size in the district. But when you compete with them or take a lead on them they tend to lay down. They don’t fight it out to the end. You punch them in the mouth they don’t punch back. Like the games vs Mart, Crockett, Groveton , and buffalo the last 6 years. They where supposed to be competitive in those games but couldn’t hang. Basketball the same way! 
This district will be that turning point hopefully for the program. Jr high is massive and talented. They start a lot of sophomores and the whole line comes back next year. 
Every game in district could be a loss or a win. They have to fight every Qt in this district and that’s exciting!!! Can’t wait!!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigj said:

Heart says Grapeland but I think Alto will put four Qt together this week and pull off the win. 

Grapeland has the most talent, speed and size in the district. But when you compete with them or take a lead on them they tend to lay down. They don’t fight it out to the end. You punch them in the mouth they don’t punch back. Like the games vs Mart, Crockett, Groveton , and buffalo the last 6 years. They where supposed to be competitive in those games but couldn’t hang. Basketball the same way! 
This district will be that turning point hopefully for the program. Jr high is massive and talented. They start a lot of sophomores and the whole line comes back next year. 
Every game in district could be a loss or a win. They have to fight every Qt in this district and that’s exciting!!! Can’t wait!!! 

I will say that our youngsters are confident and believe they can get it done Friday, which confidence is definitely a must. Confidence however, will only get you so far. We will have to execute the best we have all year. All 11 will to have to stay within the scheme to be successful against the high powered offense Grapeland will bring to town. By no means are the boys taking Grapeland lightly. They’re expecting to be in a dog fight. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Thursday night results:

JV
(1-0, 2-2) Alto 26 - Grapeland 12

JH
Grapeland 34 - Alto 8 (0-1, 0-3)

Grapeland Jr high is massive! You get a chance to see them? They have about 38 kids. 
I think Grapeland Varsity only has about three senior starters. I could be wrong. But they are probably the best three players in the district. 

19 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Don’t matter. We all running in the same wet hay field.

That used to be the biggest problem Grapeland would have. Grapeland was one of those schools that could run with yall, but yall could line it up and just play power football. Not something Grapeland necessarily excelled at...That is what separated yall from the rest. You could play power football with your speed. Power teams couldn't handle your speed and speed teams couldn't handle your power...Add in a muddy field and opponents walk off that bus down 14 points 😂

11 minutes ago, bigj said:

Grapeland Jr high is massive! You get a chance to see them? They have about 38 kids. 
I think Grapeland Varsity only has about three senior starters. I could be wrong. But they are probably the best three players in the district. 

You’re right. Those Grapeland junior high kids were huge! They dwarfed us. We have 24 and the majority of those are 7th graders.

If Grapeland only has 3 senior starters on Varsity then I guess it will be a battle of the young ‘uns! We are heavy on sophomores!

Looking forward to Friday night!

Prep Football Preview:

Alto Yellowjackets (0-4) vs. Grapeland Sandies (4-1)

7:30 p.m. Friday at Cam'Ron Matthews Field at Jacket Stadium: Home of The Mean Sting

Last Week: San Augustine 48, Alto 20; Grapeland 49, Burkeville 8

Next Week: Alto at Centerville; Grapeland vs. Groveton

Game Analysis — Offensively, Alto performed much better last week … Sandies are off to a hot start and are averaging almost 270 yards a game on the ground … The Sandies' Cadarian Wiley is averaging 8.8 yards per carry and has carried 71 times for 622 yards ...Grapeland's only loss was to Kirbyville (61-18).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, topher805 said:

That used to be the biggest problem Grapeland would have. Grapeland was one of those schools that could run with yall, but yall could line it up and just play power football. Not something Grapeland necessarily excelled at...That is what separated yall from the rest. You could play power football with your speed. Power teams couldn't handle your speed and speed teams couldn't handle your power...Add in a muddy field and opponents walk off that bus down 14 points 😂

Well we are built differently this year than what a traditional Alto team typically would be in the past. Should be able to give you guys a game though. We have came a ways since week 1. Still searching for that first W. 

6 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Well we are built differently this year than what a traditional Alto team typically would be in the past. Should be able to give you guys a game though. We have came a ways since week 1. Still searching for that first W. 

No doubt you guys are getting better. Great staff and a great tradition the athletes want to live up to. Kids aren't afraid to put in the work. Definitely a team I wouldn't want to catch early in the playoffs.