Bells @ Gunter

ObiOne

Week 6  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Bells Panthers
    • Gunter Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/03/2020 at 12:30 AM

2 hours ago, ObiOne said:

Bells runs the slot-t.  I think Gunter runs a combo of the flex bone and wing t.  Bells will run probably 95% of the time.  Gunter seems to be a little more balanced.

Gunter runs a predominantly pistol look offense, more than a typical flex/wing.

But the Tigers could run the ol' prehistoric single-wing if they wanted to in this one and it wouldn't matter. Gunter wins big.

54 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Gunter runs a predominantly pistol look offense, more than a typical flex/wing.

But the Tigers could run the ol' prehistoric single-wing if they wanted to in this one and it wouldn't matter. Gunter wins big.

You see the WW game?

12 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

You see the WW game?

I didn't, just highlights. I should've tuned into that one, since Celina had the week off. I was watching Gilmer/Carthage instead. Maybe I'll watch the Tigers this week, since the Bobcats are off for a second straight week.

1 hour ago, ObiOne said:

@Pax is it too early to do one of your game evaluations?

I've been doing them, but I think it's too early for the numbers to be reliable.  To add on to that, a lot of teams have missed games because of COVID, so the sample size is really small.  That's why I haven't been posting them yet.  For the Gunter and Bells game, I have Gunter winning 31-23.  Last week against Whitewright, I think I Gunter winning 22-17.  They really lost a lot of intensity when they went up 31-0 in the opening drive of the second half.  I don't think that game was as close as the 31-14 final score, but it's still early.  Maybe they really ran out of gas instead of just taking their foot off it. 

Before the Leonard game, Bells' three biggest wins were against teams that average 11.4 points per game and give up 37.6 per game.  They beat a Leonard team 42-14 that averages 38 points while giving up 10, but Leonard's opponents are not great, and there's only two of them so again, really small sample size.  Leonard beat a pretty poor Detroit team and put up 60+ on them, so that scoring average is misleading.  I think the numbers are skewed mainly because of the small sample size like this, but also because Gunter has just played a much tougher schedule so far.  Of course we have Whitesboro as a common opponent.  Bells was leading that game 7-0 with 1 minute left in the third quarter and went on to win 20-6.  Both defenses held Whitesboro to pretty much nothing.  Looks like WB got a prayer-type score late in both games, so basically 20-0 compared to 42-3. 

I think Gunter's biggest weakness right now is the pass defense (I thought the same thing around this time last year).  Bells has run 246 offensive plays this year, and 17 of them have been passes, so the person who said they will run the ball 95% of the time is right.  Seven of those passes were caught, three for touchdowns.  I think Gunter might get burned a couple times, but other than that, I would hope Bells wouldn't have much success being so one-dimensional, which has never worked against Gunter's defenses the past few years - particularly when that one dimension is the run.  The only teams that have had success running the ball this year and in the past are teams that are a real threat in the air.  I think if Gunter avoids getting lackadaisical like they did in the Whitewright game, I'd say they would win by 3 or 4 scores, maybe more.  Of course, I'll take a 31-23 win, but if they play a game like they had against Whitewright, they could be in trouble. 

Thanks Pax.  Good info as usual.  I haven't seen Gunter a ton.  Watched them in person the last couple times at Jerry World.  Very impressive program!  I've seen a little film on this years and last year's team.  Just my observation but last year's team seemed quite a bit bigger (stronger) and more athletic.   I'm really impressed with their fundamentals, specifically blocking and tackling.  They didn't play very well against WW but played much better against WB and PP.  Bells is a little better than folks think.  Bells had trouble stopping Holliday's power run but I think their team speed on D matches up pretty well with Gunter.  I agree that Gunter's D hasn't had too much trouble stopping one dimensional running teams.  Especially PP last year.  That was impressive.  Bells has a few young men looking to give it a shot.  Always a privilege to get to test yourself against the best.  Looking forward to a good game.

The passing game in the state championship game is being judged by 2 bad passes from the sophomore QB.  The kid had been pretty dang good and frankly I don't believe we would have beaten Canadian last year without the passing game.   This year the passing game is a real threat for a run-first team - about 180 yards per game.  Receivers are good, especially a  6'4" kid with great hands and speed -  will burn you if you don't give the corner some help.  The QB has a cannon and could play in anyone's spread offense and be successful.  This helps the running game.  Defense has been good, not as good as last year's playoffs, but then there is still alot of football to be played.

If it is close Gunter's kicker is good from 40+.  Gunter wins.

WW folks are saying that they moved the ball better than Gunter and had more yards.  That the untimely turnovers/pick 6's really showed a misleading score. Obviously Gunter took advantage of the turnovers and easy scores.  That helps keep you from racking up a pile of yards.  I did notice Gunter didn't enter their stats for the WW game.  I doubt Bells sees the same Gunter team that WW saw.  I'm sure they will be as up for a district game as they can be.  Is it Friday yet?

1 hour ago, ObiOne said:

WW folks are saying that they moved the ball better than Gunter and had more yards.  That the untimely turnovers/pick 6's really showed a misleading score. Obviously Gunter took advantage of the turnovers and easy scores.  That helps keep you from racking up a pile of yards.  I did notice Gunter didn't enter their stats for the WW game.  I doubt Bells sees the same Gunter team that WW saw.  I'm sure they will be as up for a district game as they can be.  Is it Friday yet?

I think Gunter just entered stats for the first four games.  Maybe they are lagging behind or something.  It seemed like they put them up game by game in the past. 

Turnovers and defensive touchdowns don't result in a misleading score any more than offensive touchdowns do unless you are talking about things like out of the ordinary fumbled snaps and things like that.  Basically, things that are preventable.  The first two picks - one being a pick 6 - were really good defensive plays; not mistakes on WW's part.  The third was a prayer later in the game.  And I don't know that there is a such thing as a timely turnover!  In either case, the plays the defense makes are part of the game; they count.   

WW's QB was good.  I think he was the player of the week the week prior.  We would keep getting them in 3rd and medium or 3rd and long and he would drop back to pass and then run for the first down.  There were probably 3 or 4 plays like that in the game where he kept drives alive, but they couldn't sustain it long enough to score consistently.  The pass is why those QB scramble plays worked in that game.  But even then, other than the handful of times he was able to scramble out of trouble, WW only had a total of 88 yards rushing on 36 carries.  Gunter stuffed the run pretty well other than those few scrambles.  Most of WW's 118 passing yards came late.  Like I said in my first post, I think Gunter's pass defense is their biggest trouble area.  Bells looks like they like to sneak a pass in on teams being that they have 7 completions on the year, three for TDs, so it would not surprise me at all if they get a couple scores or big plays that way against Gunter.  I would be surprised if they have consistent success running the ball.  I could be very wrong.  We will see.  I don't think WW outgained Gunter.  Yes, Gunter had some short fields, but they had more than 206 yards of offense I'm pretty sure.  Either way - Gunter has won many games without gaudy offensive statistics precisely for the reason the their defense has consistently given the offense short fields, so statistically, a game like that is not exactly odd for them.   

4 hours ago, ObiOne said:

If you want to go there Gunter had a 31-0 lead after scoring on its opening possession of the 3rd quarter.  From that point there were a number of starters standing on the sideline.  Particularly the starting running back #32  and the QB did not play his defensive back position.  WW's two touchdowns were the result of a great throw by the QB as he was running to the sideline but angled back to his own goal (being chased by Gunter defenders).  He flung it back across his body and the kid made a play about 40 yards down the field.  The second touchdown was after getting the ball inside the 5 after blocking a punt.  Took about 6 plays to score but there were penalties every time we stopped them.  They finally scored on the last play of the game.  WW can believe what they want but the game was never in question.  They had a total of 88 yards rushing on 36 carries and as Pax said, a bunch of that was QB adlibs - he did a good job.  I give WW credit - they competed, but at no point in the game did I feel we were in danger of losing the game.

There is no question in my mind that Bells will be better than WW, so it should be a ballgame.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

If you want to go there Gunter had a 31-0 lead after scoring on its opening possession of the 3rd quarter.  From that point there were a number of starters standing on the sideline.  Particularly the starting running back #32  and the QB did not play his defensive back position.  WW's two touchdowns were the result of a great throw by the QB as he was running to the sideline but angled back to his own goal (being chased by Gunter defenders).  He flung it back across his body and the kid made a play about 40 yards down the field.  The second touchdown was after getting the ball inside the 5 after blocking a punt.  Took about 6 plays to score but there were penalties every time we stopped them.  They finally scored on the last play of the game.  WW can believe what they want but the game was never in question.  They had a total of 88 yards rushing on 36 carries and as Pax said, a bunch of that was QB adlibs - he did a good job.  I give WW credit - they competed, but at no point in the game did I feel we were in danger of losing the game.

There is no question in my mind that Bells will be better than WW, so it should be a ballgame.

I understand how those types of games go. Defense causes some offensive mistakes and before you know it, the game is decided.  Easy for the winning team to play down a little after that.  You just do what you need to do to get the W without injuries.  I had just assumed that WW defense would not be able to slow down Gunter's offense.  I don't take anything away from Gunter due to the circumstances.  But I figured WW would lay down and the score would get out of hand as the game went along.  Props to them for fighting hard.  Looking for Gunter to play more like the 3 previous games than they did in the WW game. 

Bells has the athletes to make it a game if they can play sound, fundamental football.  The only team to stop the Bells offense has been the Bells offense.  Even going back to Pewitt last year.  I think Bells only punted once or twice in that game.  Granted, they go for it a lot on 4th down.  Their slot-t offense is much better than it was last year(spread for 5 years before that).  Backs are still young (jr, jr, so, so) but they are a year older and stronger than last year.  Bells did lose their best sr rb last year but I think they have improved across the board in the backfield.  He was also their only starter to lose from a pretty good defense.  I think Bells will have comparable athletes that have more varsity experience than Gunter.  But they lack the big game experience and overall program tradition/expectations.  

I expect it to be a good ballgame.  

57 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

I understand how those types of games go. Defense causes some offensive mistakes and before you know it, the game is decided.  Easy for the winning team to play down a little after that.  You just do what you need to do to get the W without injuries.  I had just assumed that WW defense would not be able to slow down Gunter's offense.  I don't take anything away from Gunter due to the circumstances.  But I figured WW would lay down and the score would get out of hand as the game went along.  Props to them for fighting hard.  Looking for Gunter to play more like the 3 previous games than they did in the WW game. 

Bells has the athletes to make it a game if they can play sound, fundamental football.  The only team to stop the Bells offense has been the Bells offense.  Even going back to Pewitt last year.  I think Bells only punted once or twice in that game.  Granted, they go for it a lot on 4th down.  Their slot-t offense is much better than it was last year(spread for 5 years before that).  Backs are still young (jr, jr, so, so) but they are a year older and stronger than last year.  Bells did lose their best sr rb last year but I think they have improved across the board in the backfield.  He was also their only starter to lose from a pretty good defense.  I think Bells will have comparable athletes that have more varsity experience than Gunter.  But they lack the big game experience and overall program tradition/expectations.  

This should be a good close game, Bells is a better team than most think

1 hour ago, ObiOne said:

I don't think your expectations are at all unreasonable.  The numbers predict a close game.