Melissa(5-0) @ Argyle(4-0) Battle for Air Supremacy

regaleagle

On 9/30/2020 at 8:12 AM, d0tc0m said:

Melissa has a good team. They'll play tough and physical. They've got some good kids on both sides of the ball. But if Argyle plays full-throttle and doesn't have any lapses in effort, the Eagles will win by at least three possessions. If Youngblood doesn't play for Melissa, Argyle will win by even more. He's good enough to keep at least one of the Eagles' receivers in check.

Edited by CrankyOldMan

In comparing these two teams by categories........here's how I have the matchup for each category as follows:

QB's

Argyle: #12 CJ Rogers(6-4/195/Sr) Advantage w/height and vision of the defense, has escapability and deceptive speed.  Medium strength arm, good long ball, and accuracy.     #7 Jett Copeland(6-0/170/Jr) Very little varsity experience, unproven good skills, good speed and football savvy.  Great secondary player on defense.  Has a big brother at Incarnate Word Academy(UIW) setting records that was a very good QB for Argyle. Good arm and good passing skills.

Melissa: #11 Fennegan has quicker delivery, quicker feet, and crisper short/intermediate throws than Rogers......also better on the run and throwing on the run. Probably more experience also.  #8 Taylor is the better running QB of all of these qb's and has quality passing skills as well. 

I will give Melissa the edge at the QB position between these two teams.

RB's

Argyle: #9 Tito Byce(5-10/195/Sr) has seen only a handful of plays all season since his ACL injury mid-season last year.  Has some D-1 offers.  Has excellent speed and vision and experience on the field.  #29 Braden Baker(5-7/180/Sr) Great speed and vision, strong body and can hide behind the big linemen. Very dependable for 5 yds. Speed allows big gains.  #4 Knox Scoggins(5-11/180/Jr) Strong and deceptive speed. Vision and finding holes is improving. Very dependable and durable. 

Melissa:  #20 Jaylen Williams(5-11/175/Jr) great speed, vision, moves, and power......has it all.  #21 Braeden Smith(6-0/205/Sr) better than Williams, less speed, more power, great vision, an armored tank on steroids, very experienced and runs w/ great confidence......a smaller Ralston, but faster.  #12 Ashton Mitchell-johnson(5-9/175/Jr) Speed merchant scatback with cutback moves. All he needs is a crease......very dangerous at the 2nd level.

Melissa gets the edge here too......it will be very obvious once you see these guys in action.  Great RB's any team would love to have.

WR/Slot/TE

Too many to mention on both sides.......

Argyle:  #3 Cash Walker(5-11/170/Sr); #5 Cole Kirkpatrick(6-1/180/Sr) 1st team all-state last season/several D-1 offers; #6 Hayden Stewart(5-11/175/Jr): #87 Jasper Lott(6-5/245/Sr/TE) recent verbal commit to TCU, matchup nightmare for everybody. About 4 other quality receivers not listed here.

Melissa: #8 Antonio Robinson(6-4/185/Sr) great speed and great hands, matchup nightmare and good in the open field; #15 Bryson Neely(6-2/200/Jr) very fast on jet sweeps and the open field. Very talented and breakaway speed.....dangerous!!  #6 Colton Wittwer(6-1/175/Sr) Mr. Dependable for short and intermediate routes.  There are at least 4 more speedy very good receivers for Melissa that have scored this season.

I'll have to give Argyle the edge in this category.......even though Melissa has so many talented players at this position.  Argyle has more playmakers in this category.

OL/DL

Not up for discussion........maybe the D-line, but I don't think so.  Argyle gets the definitive nod here.

LB's

Let's just call this one a push.......both teams have one good LB and the rest are a work in progress. I personally think Argyle has the better LB's.

SECONDARY

Not even up for discussion........Melissa has one of the best secondary's in 4A.  Argyle is improving quickly, but cannot matchup in this category.

SPECIAL TEAMS/KICKING TEAMS

Gotta go with Argyle on this one.  #23 Caden Dodsen(5-11/175/Jr) Kicker/Punter.......punts both left-footed and right-footed depending on the return team logistics.  Capable of 40+ yd field goals......1/1 for the season so far at 40+.  Can kick all kinds of kickoffs.....even into the endzone.

INTANGIBLES

Who knows???  Argyle is a very disciplined team, has great coaching, does not fumble much, and does a good job controlling the ball.  The Eagles have not lost a regular season game in the past 4 or 5 seasons.  I'll give the nod to Argyle in this one.

44 minutes ago, Footballalltheway said:

I don’t know their names just numbers but I think Youngblood #1?  Why wouldn’t he play?   

He's healthy and playing.......maybe was nicked up a little in early season against Celina. Both teams have had 2 weeks now to get healthy.

11 hours ago, regaleagle said:

He's healthy and playing.......maybe was nicked up a little in early season against Celina. Both teams have had 2 weeks now to get healthy.

That's why I was wondering. I heard he was a little banged up early on. Hadn't watched Melissa since the Celina game, so I just wasn't sure.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

That's why I was wondering. I heard he was a little banged up early on. Hadn't watched Melissa since the Celina game, so I just wasn't sure.

If you haven't seen them since Week 1, then you really will be surprised when you see them this week.......I can guarantee you that much.  I think they've used alot of oil in the gears since Week 1, d0tc0m.......their offense is clicking and running in high gear on every snap now.  I think they've probably put everybody in the best position to be successful and moved some players around in the lineup.......plus just the time it takes for a team with so many talented players to learn to play together and develop that chemistry a winning team needs to have.  They are nothing short of impressive on offense.......Argyle will have to play their butts off to win this game.  It ain't gonna be nothing but close with both teams trading scores.  Maybe turnovers, field position, the kicking game, coverage teams.......this kind of stuff will be a determining factor in who wins this one.

Melissa has certainly had some good teams in the past when they played Argyle.......but have just not been able to put together a winning game against the Eagles so far.  I think they are (0-4) all-time against Argyle.......so they will be breathing blood come Friday night to walk out with a win against Argyle.  And especially with both teams being undefeated, highly ranked, and in the same district.  For all intents and purposes this game most likely determines the District Championship.......now that Paris is out of the picture.  Argyle still will have Paris to play in the very last district game, though.......so you just never know for sure. If Melissa wins.......they will probably become the District Champs since Paris had to forfeit to them last week.  I seriously doubt any of the other 4 teams in the district can contend against Argyle, Paris, or Melissa.  Kaufman plays Terrell this week.......probably the winner gets the 3rd of 4th spot.

Last year, once Melissa settled down it ended up being a better game. I remember they had a bad snap on punt and two turnovers in the first 7 minutes of the ball game that led to a 21-0 lead for Argyle. Then from that point forward, they traded scores. Of course, Argyle played some backups in and that probably contributed to some of the Melissa scores.

I'm just saying that if this years Melissa squad is better than last year, then this could definitely be the game of the week. If Melissa had not spotted Argyle 21 points last year then it would have been a much better game. Argyle is too good to give them extra possessions and short fields.

I think last year's score was 70-49 but I don't know that for sure.

All Melissa needs to do is keep the game close and in a weird strange kinda way they win, let me explain. Nobody thinks Melissa is gonna win so in reality Argyle has all the pressure in this game. If Melissa wins then Melissa is propelled to the #1 team in the state and Argyle loses that spot but even more Argyle will be looked at not as good as people thought or Melissa is just that good. If Melissa loses but keeps the game close Argyle keeps the #1 spot but Melissa gains confidence and knows how close they are and would set up a battle in the playoffs. Im not sure if this makes sense or not? Either way as long as Melissa doesnt get blown out which they wont they win either on the score bored or psychologically... I know the players and coaches believe they can win this game, I cant say they always thought that in the past.

17 hours ago, regaleagle said:

In comparing these two teams by categories........here's how I have the matchup for each category as follows:

QB's

Argyle: #12 CJ Rogers(6-4/195/Sr) Advantage w/height and vision of the defense, has escapability and deceptive speed.  Medium strength arm, good long ball, and accuracy.     #7 Jett Copeland(6-0/170/Jr) Very little varsity experience, unproven good skills, good speed and football savvy.  Great secondary player on defense.  Has a big brother at Incarnate Word Academy(UIW) setting records that was a very good QB for Argyle. Good arm and good passing skills.

Melissa: #11 Fennegan has quicker delivery, quicker feet, and crisper short/intermediate throws than Rogers......also better on the run and throwing on the run. Probably more experience also.  #8 Taylor is the better running QB of all of these qb's and has quality passing skills as well. 

I will give Melissa the edge at the QB position between these two teams.

RB's

Argyle: #9 Tito Byce(5-10/195/Sr) has seen only a handful of plays all season since his ACL injury mid-season last year.  Has some D-1 offers.  Has excellent speed and vision and experience on the field.  #29 Braden Baker(5-7/180/Sr) Great speed and vision, strong body and can hide behind the big linemen. Very dependable for 5 yds. Speed allows big gains.  #4 Knox Scoggins(5-11/180/Jr) Strong and deceptive speed. Vision and finding holes is improving. Very dependable and durable. 

Melissa:  #20 Jaylen Williams(5-11/175/Jr) great speed, vision, moves, and power......has it all.  #21 Braeden Smith(6-0/205/Sr) better than Williams, less speed, more power, great vision, an armored tank on steroids, very experienced and runs w/ great confidence......a smaller Ralston, but faster.  #12 Ashton Mitchell-johnson(5-9/175/Jr) Speed merchant scatback with cutback moves. All he needs is a crease......very dangerous at the 2nd level.

Melissa gets the edge here too......it will be very obvious once you see these guys in action.  Great RB's any team would love to have.

WR/Slot/TE

Too many to mention on both sides.......

Argyle:  #3 Cash Walker(5-11/170/Sr); #5 Cole Kirkpatrick(6-1/180/Sr) 1st team all-state last season/several D-1 offers; #6 Hayden Stewart(5-11/175/Jr): #87 Jasper Lott(6-5/245/Sr/TE) recent verbal commit to TCU, matchup nightmare for everybody. About 4 other quality receivers not listed here.

Melissa: #8 Antonio Robinson(6-4/185/Sr) great speed and great hands, matchup nightmare and good in the open field; #15 Bryson Neely(6-2/200/Jr) very fast on jet sweeps and the open field. Very talented and breakaway speed.....dangerous!!  #6 Colton Wittwer(6-1/175/Sr) Mr. Dependable for short and intermediate routes.  There are at least 4 more speedy very good receivers for Melissa that have scored this season.

I'll have to give Argyle the edge in this category.......even though Melissa has so many talented players at this position.  Argyle has more playmakers in this category.

OL/DL

Not up for discussion........maybe the D-line, but I don't think so.  Argyle gets the definitive nod here.

LB's

Let's just call this one a push.......both teams have one good LB and the rest are a work in progress. I personally think Argyle has the better LB's.

SECONDARY

Not even up for discussion........Melissa has one of the best secondary's in 4A.  Argyle is improving quickly, but cannot matchup in this category.

SPECIAL TEAMS/KICKING TEAMS

Gotta go with Argyle on this one.  #23 Caden Dodsen(5-11/175/Jr) Kicker/Punter.......punts both left-footed and right-footed depending on the return team logistics.  Capable of 40+ yd field goals......1/1 for the season so far at 40+.  Can kick all kinds of kickoffs.....even into the endzone.

INTANGIBLES

Who knows???  Argyle is a very disciplined team, has great coaching, does not fumble much, and does a good job controlling the ball.  The Eagles have not lost a regular season game in the past 4 or 5 seasons.  I'll give the nod to Argyle in this one.

Breaden Smith is actually closer to 215lbs, he is a very thick kid who has great vision and is very powerful. Sam Fennegan is ranked the #9 pro style qb in the 2022 class, but he has some wheels, he just chooses to pass first if he can find a receiver so he doesnt run as much. Sam's brother is a qb at Boise State and they play a lot alike. Melissa's offense is loaded like you said so I dont need to go much further.Melissa's defense gets a bad rap because of the Sville game but the defense isnt as bad as that score showed. Adjustments have been made so hopefully the outsides will be sored up now. As far as the dline goes Melissa has been missing Dax Ogden the last few weeks to a minor injury, but he is back. He is a very strong stout kid that has lived in the backfield this year and will be playing tomorrow. The dline is actually pretty good they just arnt real big. They are tall though Nigel Smith 6'5 225, Isaiah Cherry 6'3 205, Dax Ogden 6'0 210 of course then the others. Linebacker are a little smaller both are around 5'11 185 they look a lot alike on the field but they will knock your head off. Kale Brakebill outside linebacker has been the best out of all of them to me, he goes 6'2 190 and has played really good with 4 or 5 sacks. Anyways hopefully everything is fixed and the defense will perform at a high level. Ive said it every year, getting pressure on Argyles qb is so difficult but hopefully this year with a better secondary Melissa can cover the receivers long enough for the others to get in the backfield. 

I'm sure Melissa can and will score on Argyle, I just not sure Melissa can stop Argyle more times than Argyle can stop Melisa. If they don't then it comes down to turnovers and special teams. Either way I just think the will be a shootout and thinking Argyle wins something like 54-39 but I will be there cheering on the Cards. An interesting though about Melissa's recent success. Since losing to Argyle last year the Cards have gone 8-1 on the field and the only loss was to LaVega 45-42 in a game they flushed away at the end. During this stretch Melissa has averaged over 44 PPG so the offense has really been rolling.

3 minutes ago, RedRed said:

Breaden Smith is actually closer to 215lbs, he is a very thick kid who has great vision and is very powerful. Sam Fennegan is ranked the #9 pro style qb in the 2022 class, but he has some wheels, he just chooses to pass first if he can find a receiver so he doesnt run as much. Sam's brother is a qb at Boise State and they play a lot alike. Melissa's offense is loaded like you said so I dont need to go much further.Melissa's defense gets a bad rap because of the Sville game but the defense isnt as bad as that score showed. Adjustments have been made so hopefully the outsides will be sored up now. As far as the dline goes Melissa has been missing Dax Ogden the last few weeks to a minor injury, but he is back. He is a very strong stout kid that has lived in the backfield this year and will be playing tomorrow. The dline is actually pretty good they just arnt real big. They are tall though Nigel Smith 6'5 225, Isaiah Cherry 6'3 205, Dax Ogden 6'0 210 of course then the others. Linebacker are a little smaller both are around 5'11 185 they look a lot alike on the field but they will knock your head off. Kale Brakebill outside linebacker has been the best out of all of them to me, he goes 6'2 190 and has played really good with 4 or 5 sacks. Anyways hopefully everything is fixed and the defense will perform at a high level. Ive said it every year, getting pressure on Argyles qb is so difficult but hopefully this year with a better secondary Melissa can cover the receivers long enough for the others to get in the backfield. 

Stephenville is a team that should not be overlooked. They thumped #3 highly ranked Dumas last week 46-33. They led that game 46-19 in the 4th quarter. #13 Morrison of Sville may be best player in 4A. Against Melissa he had over 200 yds receiving, played great on D, has some nice punts, kicked a 38 yd FG, filled the water bottles & drove the bus LOL. He also had a 96 yd TD reception against Dumas. SVille has depth issues with maybe only 35 players on roster but they are a good team.

1 minute ago, Texski said:

I'm sure Melissa can and will score on Argyle, I just not sure Melissa can stop Argyle more times than Argyle can stop Melisa. If they don't then it comes down to turnovers and special teams. Either way I just think the will be a shootout and thinking Argyle wins something like 54-39 but I will be there cheering on the Cards. An interesting though about Melissa's recent success. Since losing to Argyle last year the Cards have gone 8-1 on the field and the only loss was to LaVega 45-42 in a game they flushed away at the end. During this stretch Melissa has averaged over 44 PPG so the offense has really been rolling.

Melissa will be fine, I for one havent felt this confident about them beating Argyle ever. This group knows how to win and knows what its like to be in a dog fight, last years La Vega game and the Stephenville game two weeks ago. One thing Argyle has not been good at over the years is a dog fight. They typically blow teams out or they just flat get beat because the other team has more talent and can overcome Argyles ability to not screw up....

1 minute ago, Texski said:

Stephenville is a team that should not be overlooked. They thumped #3 highly ranked Dumas last week 46-33. They led that game 46-19 in the 4th quarter. #13 Morrison of Sville may be best player in 4A. Against Melissa he had over 200 yds receiving, played great on D, has some nice punts, kicked a 38 yd FG, filled the water bottles & drove the bus LOL. He also had a 96 yd TD reception against Dumas. SVille has depth issues with maybe only 35 players on roster but they are a good team.

No doubt and Melissa has that on there side. They know how to get punched in the face fall down and get back up fight and win. Im not tryin to be a homer but I really believe in this team and think they have a shot this year to play in december!!!!

19 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

arOver 20.......I'll have to go back and look it up.

I looked it up.........41 consecutive home wins for Argyle including the two so far this season.  The last time Argyle lost a game at home was against Abilene Wylie on August 31, 2012 in the opening game of the season.........so it's been a long, long time.  I was at that game too.  That was the year Wylie went undefeated until they ran into Stephenville in the Regional Final.  Stephenville won State that year against El Campo.......they lost only that very first game of the season to Prepa Tech from Monterrey Mexico, but won against Aledo the next week and ran the table.  The very next year Argyle went 16-0 and won State against Fairfield. 

Argyle went 12-2 that season......losing to Gilmer in the regional final.  Gilmer lost to Navasota in the State Championship in D-2.......they went 14-2 that season.  They had lost in Week 2 to Prestonwood Christian, but then won out all the way to the title game.

Regardless of who wins this game, both teams will be a serious contender to win the Regional Final and Semifinal.......so either one of these teams IMHO could end up playing for a State Championship in the Class 4A Division 1 game in Jerry World.  I believe you are correct that Stephenville will prove to be a very solid and difficult opponent the rest of the season for whomever they play........including La Vega.  I just see Stephenville as being able to shore up their defense and getting that side of the ball alot better.......most likely by playing some of their best players both ways in the playoffs. Like you said......they lack depth and for some reason just don't have many players on the roster for a D-1 size school.  Low participation rate over there.