Melissa(5-0) @ Argyle(4-0) Battle for Air Supremacy

regaleagle

I can tell you another thing........there is no way that this game will get away from either team.  This game will definitely be a battle to the end with both teams in a serious struggle to win it late.  That's just the way I see it happening with all of the quality players each team has on each side of the ball.  These people saying Argyle will win big might want to tune in to one of the best games of the week statewide.......it may end up being one of the best games of the entire season in 4A.  Let's face it.......if you can beat Argyle on their home turf, then your team is special.

Unlike most fans here......I've watched every game Melissa has played this season in its entirety.  I've seen with my own eyes what Melissa brings to this game.  Melissa more than matches up with Argyle moreso than any other team Argyle has on their schedule this year.......without question!!  IF Argyle wins this game, then I will be elated......simply elated.  That QB Fennegan is the real deal for sure.......and his receiving corp is too.  And the speed has me worried.  Argyle's secondary is not as good as Melissa's.  If Argyle wins......it will be because they played lights out on defense and gave the offense the opportunities it needed.

2 hours ago, Texski said:

JV score update for anybody interested... at the half 28-28. Melissa was up 28-6 with 4 min left til half and Argyle scored 22 points to tie it up.

Keep us posted for the final of this game.......Argyle has a pretty good JV every year. In fact, most years they go undefeated.  I know we have lots of sophs playing on varsity this season......and only one freshman.

Melissa won the JV game 48-46. Melissa scored the go ahead touchdown with about 4 min left. Got a big stop on D forced an Argyle punt with 2 min 40 sec left. Facing 4th down from own own 9 yd line with 1 min 30 left Melissa elected to take intentional safety (Argyle had blocked 2 punts in 2nd Q) then held on D to get the win. Lots of young talent in pipeline for both teams.

4 minutes ago, Texski said:

Melissa won the JV game 48-46. Melissa scored the go ahead touchdown with about 4 min left. Got a big stop on D forced an Argyle punt with 2 min 40 sec left. Facing 4th down from own own 9 yd line with 1 min 30 left Melissa elected to take intentional safety (Argyle had blocked 2 punts in 2nd Q) then held on D to get the win. Lots of young talent in pipeline for both teams.

For some reason i envision tomorrow nights game going just like this... 

Yeah........I foresee Melissa being in the ranked teams mix for next season as well.  Then both schools will graduate to 5A-DII more than likely.......if we are all still playing football in the UIL at that time.  Times......they are a-changin'.........and nothin' stays the same.

I  was thinking Bar-B-Q before tomorrow's tilt as the gametime meal.  Never can go wrong with that good All-Texas cuisine.  407 Barbecue is very good right down the street from the stadium at the intersection of 377 and 407.......you can't miss it.  If you take the I-35(S. to Fort Worth out of Denton) route into Argyle and exit FM 407 to Argyle.......then you will see 407 Barbeque on your right before the RR Tracks at 377.  Their fare is pricey, but darn good Bar-B-Q.  I'm very particular when it comes to good barbecue.......theirs passes my stringent requirements.

Sounds to me like Melissa is as ready as they can be to break Argyle's 50-game regular season winning streak tomorrow night.......on homecoming night in Argyle WITH Argyle ranked #1 in Class 4A in the polls.  I would give them a very good chance of pulling off the upset.......as good or better than any other team this season.  They do have the personnel and QB to do it........maybe not the defense, though.  Certainly have the offensive fire-power, but sometimes a good defense can sort of slow down  a really high-powered offense and put pressure on THEIR defense to perform.

I think Coach Rodgers will try to get the lead in this game, then go to the ground and pound game with that big  offensive line and wear down the Melissa defense.  If Argyle has a lead, it can afford to slow down the game and speed up the clock to keep the Melissa offense on the sidelines. Argyle is fully capable of putting together long time-consuming drives on the ground with its O-line dominating the LOS.  This will force Melissa to bring in their secondary.......big mistake.

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I  was thinking Bar-B-Q before tomorrow's tilt as the gametime meal.  Never can go wrong with that good All-Texas cuisine.  407 Barbecue is very good right down the street from the stadium at the intersection of 377 and 407.......you can't miss it.  If you take the I-35(S. to Fort Worth out of Denton) route into Argyle and exit FM 407 to Argyle.......then you will see 407 Barbeque on your right before the RR Tracks at 377.  Their fare is pricey, but darn good Bar-B-Q.  I'm very particular when it comes to good barbecue.......theirs passes my stringent requirements.

The answer is always yes to BBQ. Always.

You going to the game tonight, regal?

10 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

The answer is always yes to BBQ. Always.

You going to the game tonight, regal?

I'm stuck down here in San Antonio doing some roofs from a hailstorm they had earlier in the year. I'll just sit back and watch the Livestream on my TV while I munch down on some good ol' Barbeque.  I already know where to go to get the best barbeque here.......it's only about 15 minutes drive for me.  I'll have everything set up for this big game tonight.......them customers can do without me this afternoon, LOL.   You know we had Covid for so long that everything was delayed in the roofing this summer.  But we are finally getting some of these customers handled. It was too hot anyway this year.......100 degrees everyday for a looong stretch here.  But now we're busy.......finally.

Well it game day and its nice and crisp this morning with fall in the air... Gonna be perfect weather tonight so no weather elements should effect the game. Coach Nally Melissa's head coach has preached all year dont get to high and dont get to low to the players and they are all business im hearing this week, this should be epic!!!

All I got to say is Argyle better WAKE UP and play some defense tonight.  This team is gonna be tough sledding to beat.  Too many weapons and too much speed......and a very good QB and RB's in the backfield.  I don't like all the pats on the back Argyle has been gettin' after that La Vega win.  

I watched the Argyle/La Vega game again last night.......what I saw was not good.  I don't think Argyle is ready for what Melissa's gonna do offensively.  I don't want to see Argyle get into a shootout type game, but I just don't see how it can be avoided.  That defensive front and LB's for Argyle are gonna hafta play their tails off, and then that may not be good enough.  I think Fennegan and those speedy receivers will still find ways to exploit Argyle's secondary.  I don't see enough speed back there to keep up. I hope the Argyle coaching staff saw what I saw and has a good plan.

16 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I watched the Argyle/La Vega game again last night.......what I saw was not good.  I don't think Argyle is ready for what Melissa's gonna do offensively.  I don't want to see Argyle get into a shootout type game, but I just don't see how it can be avoided.  That defensive front and LB's for Argyle are gonna hafta play their tails off, and then that may not be good enough.  I think Fennegan and those speedy receivers will still find ways to exploit Argyle's secondary.  I don't see enough speed back there to keep up. I hope the Argyle coaching staff saw what I saw and has a good plan.

I dont know how a shootout can be avoided unless either team just poops the bed and I dont think thats happening....

The weather is the exact opposite of what it was last year when these team met in Argyle. I feel like Argyle is still the prohibitive favorite here as they dismantled PG & LV. Melissa will be the best offense they have faced. The key to me is how the first quarter plays out. The past 2 years Argyle jumped out to a big lead and Melissa played OK after that, but doing that against the eagles just won't end well. 

9 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I think Coach Rodgers will try to get the lead in this game, then go to the ground and pound game with that big  offensive line and wear down the Melissa defense.  If Argyle has a lead, it can afford to slow down the game and speed up the clock to keep the Melissa offense on the sidelines. Argyle is fully capable of putting together long time-consuming drives on the ground with its O-line dominating the LOS.  This will force Melissa to bring in their secondary.......big mistake.

Agree with this 100% and I'm thinking this is Rodgers plan

6 minutes ago, Texski said:

I will take a 20-0 first half lead. I'm still mad about how that game ended last year...

Melissa for sure should have won that game. I think La Vega was the better TEAM, but Melissa played the better game for the most part ... right up until the end.

But you can forget about a 20-0 halftime lead on Argyle lol. Melissa has not consistently demonstrated an ability to stop the passing attack, and Argyle has consistently demonstrated their passing game will not be contained. But the Cardinals have enough weapons, if they don't turn the ball over, to go blow-for-blow.

Both teams are going to need to have opportunistic defenses tonight. You're gonna give up points, you're going to give up big plays and big yards. Make a play when you can make it, though. Don't miss an opportunity when you get it.