Melissa(5-0) @ Argyle(4-0) Battle for Air Supremacy

regaleagle

Great team win.......the game ball goes to the entire team tonight for sure.  Argyle won every phase of this game decisively and looked great doing it.......made it look easy and clean.  Made some mistakes, but  that happens in football and is part of the game.

2 minutes ago, Argyle2014 said:

That Argyle defense is really coming together. I have a feeling we lost a starter on that D with a knee injury. I hope not. If this team can stay healthy they could definitely make a run in the playoffs and wind up at Jerry World. 

Darren or Tye???

1 minute ago, Argyle2014 said:

I thought Melissa did a good job at slowing down Argyles running game. Not sure of the numbers, but the Eagles didn’t run that well against Melissa. Guess you don’t have to when the Air Attack is working just fine.

They did fine.......didn't have to reel off any long ones, but they ground and pounded it out and allowed the offense to throw it.

Just now, Argyle2014 said:

Regal I’m telling you this team is special. And has so much depth. If the Eagles can stay healthy they will be playing for a title. And they have gone through a gauntlet of a schedule this year. 

Tonight they answered a big test.......passed with flying colors.  They are multi on offense and the D is improving every week.  I love what I saw on D tonight from Argyle........dominant!!! Even the secondary has made the leap.  Good stuff and we need some easier games now.

The Eagles most definitely won the battle for air supremacy tonight in Argyle.  I think the regular season win streak will be extended for this season to next season now( Paris is still lurking).  And the home game winning streak should also be extended this season to next season.  Also the streak for district wins in a row is still alive and kicking. 

My thoughts on Argyle...

The OL is very very good. They are not the biggest OL I've ever seen but their technique and physical play is rare on the 4A level.

The Eagles D is underrated. I think holding LaVega to 7 was an eye-opener but now having seen the Argyle D in person there is not really a weak spot.

Cole Kirkpatrick...just a incredible football player, Both of his TD catches were well defended and could have been INTs but he made the plays.

Rogers is a very solid QB. 

My thoughts on Melissa..

Still a very solid team. Had 6 turnovers, 15+ penalties, 3 times inside the Argyle 15 with no points, allowed a blocked punt, had an onside kick returned for a TD and still only lost by 3 TDs to #1 team on the road.

#8 maybe a better QB than #11, He certainly ran the offense better tonight.

Thought a problem may be getting pressure on Rogers and this happened. Very little pressure all night and must improve in this area against good teams.

Damon Youngblood is an absolute stud and still only a junior.

Ashton Mitchell-Johnson played well and then appeared to suffer a concussion late in the game. Hope he's OK

Melissa will have the next 5 games to improve some areas.......they still have the athletes and two good QB's.  I was surprised to see Argyle bottle up Melissa's RB's tonight.....esp. that big boy #21 Smith.  They never let him get into the 2nd level where he can steamroll.  Melissa did show some signs of climbing back into it late, but by that time Argyle had a big lead.  Melissa this season is better overall I think than last season.......I think this loss will give the players more resolve to work even harder on the little things they need to clean up.  When those little stupid things don't happen, then the whole team benefits and they suddenly learn to play better football.

I don't know the numbers, but Argyle was flagged with a high number of penalties tonight also.  Some were a little questionable I think.  I don't know if it was the crew or the intensity level of the game that caused so many penalties on both sides.......but some of Melissa's penalties( self-inflicted on LOS ones) were very obvious and easy to clean up.  New center this season and maybe switching QB's could be probable cause for those. A couple of high snaps too that caused some losses on critical downs.  

Now I can relax knowing that the toughest part of the early schedule is over with for Argyle.  They can play some of those younger talented players and give them lots of minutes in the next 4 games until we meet Paris in the district finale.  That game will be in Paris and it should get the Eagles ready again for tougher competition in the playoffs.  I'm glad Argyle has a tough game right before the playoffs.......the new season will require the starters to get back on their horses.