Thomas Sowell-BLM and Black Americans

Youngcoach123

41 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

If you LIVE ANYWHERE IN DALLAS INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT you can ATTEND those 3 schools. Magnet schools are not private schools, they are part of the School Districts. 

Maybe we can put this in terms that East Texans can understand. I am sure you have heard of Tyler, Texas. 

Tyler ISD has at least 2 high schools, probably renamed, but when I was in school they were John Tyler (always flushing them) and Tyler Lee--(Running Rebels--always running from us Panthers, LOL)

Tyler sets up a culinary Magnet school at Tyler Lee, and a Science and Technology Magnet at John Tyler. 

Any student in Tyler ISD who wants to go to the culinary magnet--can request to go there. And if he does what 'youngcoach" said, stay out of trouble, keep grades up--he gets to graduate from Tyler Lee with a diploma and an endorsement in Culinary Arts--most culinary schools, the students actually graduate with certificates of management, which means they should get hired quickly out of high school in a manager position in the restaurant business. 

Another student goes to the Science and Technology magnet at John Tyler--Lives 2 house down from the student who went to Tyler Lee's culinary magnet. He graduates the same way, depending upon which classes he takes at the S&T magnet, with endorsements in Technology and some times, they have certificates in computer networking, in which they can go directly to work making over $75K per year. 

So imagine that in a city the size of Dallas--which has several Magnet schools within it's district. Any student from anywhere in Dallas ISD can attend those schools. 

And to top it off, in Dallas city Limits there are 84 different Charter schools to choose from. All are FREE--but you have to fill out an application and probably be accepted. 

What if you live in forney and want to attend those schools? You are out of luck. 

I've given up on finding any terms that you'll understand. At least folks in east texas understand common sense. 

For the last time, I know how the law in texas is written in regards to education and public schools. That's what I want to change. I want texas to pass a law that allows local kids to use local taxes that currently fund their education in public schools at ANY school they choose. 

How generous of you to provide all those public school options that YOU think are great. But it's still not as good as the kid choosing ANY school they want. 

And once again, nothing is FREE. Charter schools are not free! Someone is paying for them. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

You do to take money that has been lawfully distributed to the School Districts. If they could just "have a voucher system" don't you think Dan Patrick would have done it already. They know they can't win that battle, because too many people still rely on ISD's to educate their children. And I don't know what goes on in East Texas anymore, but sounds like you've had a lot of bad experiences in school districts. 

But please, come up with a great way to fund FREE PUBLIC EDUCATION--because that is what we do in the United States. This isn't China, or Europe, we educate them all--from the worst to the best. 

Yes but if Texas passed a voucher system, everyone that depends on public schools could still use public schools! Only those that want something different would choose that route. With no additional cost to anyone. Everyone is still educated, from the best to the worst. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

What if you live in forney and want to attend those schools? You are out of luck. 

I've given up on finding any terms that you'll understand. At least folks in east texas understand common sense. 

For the last time, I know how the law in texas is written in regards to education and public schools. That's what I want to change. I want texas to pass a law that allows local kids to use local taxes that currently fund their education in public schools at ANY school they choose. 

How generous of you to provide all those public school options that YOU think are great. But it's still not as good as the kid choosing ANY school they want. 

And once again, nothing is FREE. Charter schools are not free! Someone is paying for them. 

https://www.vox.com/2014/4/30/18076968/charter-schools

Explains Charter Schools. 

And why would a kid from Forney want to drive 30 miles to go to school in Dallas ISD? Just because. Well he can go there, even today--and again, he just doesn't get to take LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT PROPERTY TAXES with him. And I would doubt that law ever changes. But more power to those who get it changed. 

3 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

https://www.vox.com/2014/4/30/18076968/charter-schools

Explains Charter Schools. 

And why would a kid from Forney want to drive 30 miles to go to school in Dallas ISD? Just because. Well he can go there, even today--and again, he just doesn't get to take LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT PROPERTY TAXES with him. And I would doubt that law ever changes. But more power to those who get it changed. 

It doesn't matter if the kids wants to drive 1000 miles. That's The kid and their familys business. 

Like everything it will get changed one day, because it is the best thing for the students. But you're right it won't be easy. Teachers lobby will see to that! 

Btw, why should education tax dollars stay local? 

6 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Yes but if Texas passed a voucher system, everyone that depends on public schools could still use public schools! Only those that want something different would choose that route. With no additional cost to anyone. Everyone is still educated, from the best to the worst. 

IF you pass a voucher system, where is the money going to come from? School districts will disband, especially those smaller ones in East and West Texas--why stay open if you can just take your money anywhere. So property taxes for School Districts will go by the wayside. 

But I have been meaning to ask this question--what is a reason you would want your kid to go to another school district, but you still live in the same town as the old one? I mean what is the real reason you want choice? Because economically--choosing between Dallas and Forney--most people are going to choose Forney, and would rather move there also. So let's delve into the real reasons, because it's not to be nice. Because if you think that "taking your property taxes" from other local communities won't start, you are not very realistic. 

• Roll Eyes 1

1 minute ago, trashyhound said:

It doesn't matter if the kids wants to drive 1000 miles. That's The kid and their familys business. 

Like everything it will get changed one day, because it is the best thing for the students. But you're right it won't be easy. Teachers lobby will see to that! 

Btw, why should education tax dollars stay local? 

Because LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICTS WERE SET TO UP TO EDUCATE THE LOCAL COMMUNITY STUDENTS!!!! DUH!!!!! I would have thought someone with your education would know that. 

16 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

IF you pass a voucher system, where is the money going to come from? School districts will disband, especially those smaller ones in East and West Texas--why stay open if you can just take your money anywhere. So property taxes for School Districts will go by the wayside. 

But I have been meaning to ask this question--what is a reason you would want your kid to go to another school district, but you still live in the same town as the old one? I mean what is the real reason you want choice? Because economically--choosing between Dallas and Forney--most people are going to choose Forney, and would rather move there also. So let's delve into the real reasons, because it's not to be nice. Because if you think that "taking your property taxes" from other local communities won't start, you are not very realistic. 

Dude, the money doesn't change. 

X amount of tax dollars still educates X amount of students who live there. The only thing that changes is what school gets those dollars. A school should not keep money for a kid they are not educating. 

I disagree that schools would disband. I don't think vouchers would have much impact on smaller rural schools. But it could have a great benefit to a small number of rural students! 

You are quite wrong sir! I love our local public school district. We have some really great teachers and adminstrators. If I had vouchers or other options I personally wouldn't take them, I'd leave my kids where they are. 

That said, I am aware enough to know that others may not agree or in other locals be so fortunate. I am also open minded enough to see that with vouchers there is major benefit to students with little or no downside. 

Also I feel it would be a benefit to teachers. More schools and more of them that don't answer to the state means less teaching to the test and more room for the teachers and adminstrators on campus with the students calling their educational shots instead of idiots in Austin. I am for more choices for everyone, students, parents and teachers! 

29 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Because LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICTS WERE SET TO UP TO EDUCATE THE LOCAL COMMUNITY STUDENTS!!!! DUH!!!!! I would have thought someone with your education would know that. 

Duh? Lol. I do know that thanks to my wonderful public education. Once upon a time we had milk men and printing presses but sometimes a system needs replacing! 

31 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

It's hard when people think that public educators are the enemy, which probably means they had a bad experience, somewhere, one day. 

Way off. I don't think public educators are the enemy. I think mandating them as people's only option is bad! I think all types of schools can be great or terrible. All the more reason for parents and kids to have a choice. 

42 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

It's hard when people think that public educators are the enemy, which probably means they had a bad experience, somewhere, one day. 

I don't think (most) educators are the enemy. I think indoctrinators who pose as educators are bad.

BTW...since we home school, should we get some of that tax money back?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I don't think (most) educators are the enemy. I think indoctrinators who pose as educators are bad.

BTW...since we home school, should we get some of that tax money back?

I say yes! Why should a school who is not educating your kid recieve funds for educating your kid? 

19 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

I say yes! Why should a school who is not educating your kid recieve funds for educating your kid? 

Danny explained that, as that is what is required in a society that values education and citizenship, your taxes are not going to educate just kids that belong to individual taxpayers, but ALL kids. Sigh. 

33 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Danny explained that, as that is what is required in a society that values education and citizenship, your taxes are not going to educate just kids that belong to individual taxpayers, but ALL kids. Sigh. 

Sorry if I was unclear but I understand this and agree completely. To me the property tax for education belongs to all students, not just the kids of those who pay taxes or just those who attend public school. It should belong to ALL STUDENTS!!!

To clarify, take all education dollars divided by all education aged students. That's the amount id give in vouchers.