AA Division I Playoffs

VZCR

Region 1

Post will play Cisco or San Saba for the Region. Post has 16 starters back from the state finalist team and should advance.

Region 2

Lindsay and Crawford seem to be on a collision course. Lindsay’s run/pass offense and solid defense should prevail.

Region 3

One thing is for sure San Augustine will not represent Region 3 for the fourth time in four years. Timpson has been shocking. We knew Hearne was a sleeping dog due to their talent and coach.  Normangee has found a defense to match their offense. This Region will be a dog fight.

Region 4

Shiner is the most talented as they were last year. Refugio is in their head. Can Shiner overcome the mental block?

This will be an extremely competitive state championship game. Post and Lindsay have the potential to pull it out against Region 4.

15 hours ago, Unashamed said:

Region 3: Hawkins.   Enough said.   

15 hours ago, Unashamed said:

Region 3: Hawkins.   Enough said.   

Hawkins has a dog in the fight...a very small dog. The Hawks should play San Augustine in the first round and should win. In the second round they will play District 11 runnerup of District 12 third place...that game will be a best test. In the third round the Hawk will catch Normangee...you don't want that.

19 minutes ago, VZCR said:

Hawkins has a dog in the fight...a very small dog. The Hawks should play San Augustine in the first round and should win. In the second round they will play District 11 runnerup of District 12 third place...that game will be a best test. In the third round the Hawk will catch Normangee...you don't want that.

Pretty sure SA will not be making an appearance in the playoffs this year. 

29 minutes ago, VZCR said:

You need to recheck the bracket. Hawkins will play Garrison in Round 1, Holland/ Centerville round 2, very likely Timpson Round 3. 

Region 3 imo is like this 

Favorite - Timpson 

Normangee, Joaquin, Hearne, Hawkins, Centerville, Leon all have a shot as a dark horse. 

Carlisle, Grapeland, Garrison and Shelbyville, Thorndale are dangerous. All of these have shown flashes of good play but haven’t done what was expected. 

Going to be a tough region to get out for whoever makes it but I see it as Timpson and Normangee as the two clear favorites with Timpson at this time being a little more favored.  Joaquin I think will be the next the of the rest. Tough loss to the bears but i think they will just get stronger as they progress. Don’t have enough info on Hearne but if they are playing like they did 15-20 years ago they will be a really tough out. Hawkins is having a great season and we will see once the playoffs begin if they can keep it up. Centerville and Leon both have some good wins but have a couple of head scratching losses. 

8 hours ago, jacketgrad06 said:

Region 3 imo is like this 

Favorite - Timpson 

Normangee, Joaquin, Hearne, Hawkins, Centerville, Leon all have a shot as a dark horse. 

Carlisle, Grapeland, Garrison and Shelbyville, Thorndale are dangerous. All of these have shown flashes of good play but haven’t done what was expected. 

Going to be a tough region to get out for whoever makes it but I see it as Timpson and Normangee as the two clear favorites with Timpson at this time being a little more favored.  Joaquin I think will be the next the of the rest. Tough loss to the bears but i think they will just get stronger as they progress. Don’t have enough info on Hearne but if they are playing like they did 15-20 years ago they will be a really tough out. Hawkins is having a great season and we will see once the playoffs begin if they can keep it up. Centerville and Leon both have some good wins but have a couple of head scratching losses. 

I don’t think we really know enough about teams like Hearne, Holland and Thorndale to know how they will match up with East Texas teams. Centex football is a very different ballgame than here in the Piney Woods. I like Timpson’s chances to get to regional finals, just based on the fact that Hearne and Normangee are on the other side of the bracket. I think Holland is probably the Bears’ biggest obstacle to getting there. The bottom side of the bracket looks like a bloodbath. 

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I don’t think we really know enough about teams like Hearne, Holland and Thorndale to know how they will match up with East Texas teams. Centex football is a very different ballgame than here in the Piney Woods. I like Timpson’s chances to get to regional finals, just based on the fact that Hearne and Normangee are on the other side of the bracket. I think Holland is probably the Bears’ biggest obstacle to getting there. The bottom side of the bracket looks like a bloodbath. 

Holland and Thorndale both have losses in the region. One lost to Centerville and the other to Leon. 

Region 3 playoff games 

Normangee vs Thrall

Leon vs Thorndale

Centerville vs Holland

Grapeland vs Hearne 

Hawkins  vs Garrison Friday at Lion Stadium in Henderson 

Joaquin vs Carlisle Thursday at Eagle Stadium in Tatum 

Timpson vs Frankston Thursday at Lion Stadium in Henderson 

Shelbyville vs Beckville Thursday at Trinity Mother Francis Rose Stadium in Tyler 

Area Round Matchups

Region 1
Panhandle (9-2) vs San Saba (8-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Henrietta’s Bearcat Stadium

Post (11-0) vs Anson (8-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Clyde’s Bulldog Stadium

Hawley (9-2) vs Sundown (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Big Spring’s Memorial Stadium

Cisco (8-3) vs Olton (8-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Colorado City’s Wolf Stadium

Region 2

Lindsay (10-0) vs Tolar (5-6), 7 p.m. Friday at River Oaks’ Barnes Memorial Stadium

Cooper (8-1) vs Bosqueville (7-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Rusk’s Eagle Stadium

Crawford (10-1) vs Bogota Rivercrest (7-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Grand Prairie’s Gopher-Warrior Bowl

Italy (10-1) vs Alvord (5-4), 7 p.m. Friday at Alvarado’s Head Stadium

Region 3

Garrison (5-5) vs Holland (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Fairfield’s Eagle Stadium

Timpson (11-0) vs Jewett Leon (7-3), 7 p.m. Thursday at Palestine’s Westwood Panther Stadium

Normangee (10-0) vs Price Carlisle (7-4), 7 p.m. Friday at Palestine’s Westwood Panther Stadium

Hearne (9-0) vs Beckville (8-3), 7 p.m. Thursday at Athens’ Bruce Field

Region 4

Shiner (9-0) vs Freer (3-3), 7 p.m. Thursday at Pleasanton’s Eagle Stadium

Mason (7-4) vs Kenedy (6-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at San Antonio’s Davenport High School Stadium

Refugio (9-0) vs Flatonia (5-3), 7 p.m. Thursday at Karnes City’s Johnson Field

Three Rivers (4-4) vs Ganado (5-4), 7 p.m. Thursday at Victoria’s Memorial Stadium

• Like 1

So all 4 districts in region 3 went 2-2. Still believe the most competitive region in 2A this year top to bottom. May not have the strongest team but quality of play is there. All 4 4 seeds in this region had had some pretty good seasons.  No 1 or 2 win teams in this region. One of those 4 seeds are still playing this week as well. Congrats to all the teams still playing. 

1 hour ago, jacketgrad06 said:

So all 4 districts in region 3 went 2-2. Still believe the most competitive region in 2A this year top to bottom. May not have the strongest team but quality of play is there. All 4 4 seeds in this region had had some pretty good seasons.  No 1 or 2 win teams in this region. One of those 4 seeds are still playing this week as well. Congrats to all the teams still playing. 

I agree with these statements ✌️

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 7:15 PM, trueblue82 said:

Holland won't contend with East Texas' best.  Don't be too concerned with them.  If Garrison plays a solid game they likely beat Holland.  If Garrison doesn't take out Holland, I'd wager the house on Timpson doing it next week.

5 hours ago, CDubya936 said:

I think Holland beats Garrison in a close one and Timpson takes care of Holland next week. 

Over the years, other than a couple of losses to a State Championship Mason team, Garrison has more than held there own with teams from this general area ... Clifton, Bangs, etc. ...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Over the years, other than a couple of losses to a State Championship Mason team, Garrison has more than held there own with teams from this general area ... Clifton, Bangs, etc. ...

Correct.  Holland was probably breathing a sigh of relief to get away from Refugio/Shiner/Mason, but they're not going to do any better with these east Texas teams.