Stephenville vs Argyle: Thurs. @ 7 pm Globe Life Park in Arlington

regaleagle

Globe Life Park is the former Texas Rangers ballpark now converted into a multi-use stadium for soccer and football.  It's a very nice stadium for a playoff game.......no worries here about attendance and seating capacity.  Stephenville is gonna be a very tough opponent for Argyle.......and I'm gonna show everybody what I mean.  They are most definitely the real deal and the BEST team in the whole State of Texas with 5 losses on their record. Heck......they are probably the ONLY team in the State of Texas still playing with 5 losses on their record.  But there's good reasons why.

Right off the bat......let me just tell you that the Stephenville Yellowjackets have better offensive numbers on the season than Argyle does.......I'm not kidding!  They played one game less too!  Go figure that one, huh?  Numbers don't lie.......and they played one heckuva schedule, for sure.  Even though they had 5 losses in the regular season......their offense scored lots  of points.  Obviously if their offense scored lots of points this season and they still lost 5 games......that means their defense gave up lots of points too!  But look at who they gave up the points to.

24 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Globe Life Park is the former Texas Rangers ballpark now converted into a multi-use stadium for soccer and football.  It's a very nice stadium for a playoff game.......no worries here about attendance and seating capacity.  Stephenville is gonna be a very tough opponent for Argyle.......and I'm gonna show everybody what I mean.  They are most definitely the real deal and the BEST team in the whole State of Texas with 5 losses on their record. Heck......they are probably the ONLY team in the State of Texas still playing with 5 losses on their record.  But there's good reasons why.

Just looked it up and that is one TOUGH schedule. Appears they have firepower on offense but next to nothing on defense. Regal, any idea what happened in the game where they were shut out by Lampasas? 

Here's their season schedule so you don't have to go look it up. Every team they lost to is a playoff team still playing.   They defeated Benbrook this past Friday in Bi-District 56-14.   Probably their easiest game all season.  Brownwood lost to Kennedale last night also.

8/28   Sweetwater  58-32   W

9/04   Lampasas     41-0     L      Got whipped......wasn't ready for this team.  

9/11    Salado           61-45   L     Pretty good game between two good  teams.

9/18    Melissa         65-58   L     Gave up  the lead late w/ Melissa scoring the go-ahead TD in the last minute in an offensive slugfest......what a game!!

9/24    Dumas         46-33   W    Dumas is known for having a very good defense.  Stephenville just outscored them in this one.

10/2    Brownwood  59-34  W     Stephenville is just better this season.

10/9    La Vega         42-24  L     QB Rauls was back for LV.......enuff said.  

10/16  Alvarado       56-21   W    

10/23 Life Waxahachie 49-13 W

10/30 Midlothian Heritage  42-27   L    Jaguars are very good.

11/13   Benbrook      56-14   W    The Yellowjackets dominated from the opening kickoff.

Looks to me like Stephenville is a very good team offensively and have had all season to shore up and improve defensively.  This team can definitely score lots of points against the best of competition.......that makes them very dangerous.  

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Here's their season schedule so you don't have to go look it up. Every team listed is a playoff team still playing except for Benbrook.  They defeated Benbrook this past Friday in Bi-District 56-14.  Probably their easiest game all season.

8/28   Sweetwater  58-32   W

9/04   Lampasas     41-0     L      Got whipped......wasn't ready for this team.

9/11    Salado           61-45   L     Pretty good game between two good  teams.

9/18    Melissa         65-58   L     Gave up  the lead late w/ Melissa scoring the go-ahead TD in the last minute in an offensive slugfest......what a game!!

9/24    Dumas         46-33   W    Dumas is known for having a very good defense.  Stephenville just outscored them in this one.

10/2    Brownwood  59-34  W     Stephenville is just better this season.

10/9    La Vega         42-24  L     QB Rauls was back for LV.......enuff said.  

10/16  Alvarado       56-21   W    

10/23 Life Waxahachie 49-13   

10/30 Midlothian Heritage  42-27   L    Jaguars are very good.

11/13   Benbrook      56-14   W    The Yellowjackets dominated from the opening kickoff.

Looks to me like Stephenville is a very good team offensively and have had all season to shore up and improve defensively.  This team can definitely score lots of points against the best of competition.......that makes them very dangerous.  

Thanks for the breakdown! Sounds like this could either be a fantastic contest or a blowout in favor of Argyle, In my opinion. 

Argyle ain't gonna BLOW OUT Stephenville......esp. not at this juncture in the season.  Argyle woudn't have blown them out earlier either. I don't know exactly what happened against Lampasas.......I heard their good QB Gavin Rountree was injured and didn't play the 2nd half.

Gavin Rountree #8 (6-0/175/Sr/QB)  4.5 speed.   Here are his stats on the season in 10 games NOT COUNTING those against Benbrook last night.  Stephenville did end up playing 10 regular season games with a make-up game against Brownwood.

Passing:  159/251    2478 yds.    .633 C%    247.8 yds/game    21 TD's   7 Int.    113.9 QB rating    

Rushing:  97 carries for 590 yds.    12 TD's   

These numbers DO NOT include last night's game against Benbrook.  This guy is the cog that makes the Stephenville offense click.  These numbers DO include the Lampasas nightmare game.

Now here's the numbers for Argyle's stellar QB CJ Rogers this season.  You should be aware that he has played some limited minutes in the entirety of the schedule......esp. this week against N. Dallas.   

CJ Rogers #12  (6-3/205/Sr/QB)  Rogers skipped football his freshman and soph. seasons to concentrate on basketball.  He did play a limited backup role as QB last season for Argyle, but actually got more minutes as a backup wideout in the passing offense.

Passing:   128/194    2271 yds.     .660 C%     206.5 yds/game     32 TD's     3 Int.     139.0  QB rating

Rushing:   25 carries for 140 yds.     5 TD's

These numbers DO include this week's game against N. Dallas.......albeit it very limited to only the first quarter.

2 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Ville has given the upset on multiple occasions. However, Arygle ain’t losing this time.

I woudn't rule it out......anything can happen in these playoff games against good quality teams.  Stephenville is a much improved team on defense now.  They have a history of playing Argyle tough.   They have nothing to lose right now and everything to gain.  They will show up ready in this one.

The all-time record for these two teams is (3-1) in favor of Argyle.  Stephenville upset Argyle in 2017  in Round 3, I believe.  That's when our QB Jon Copeland was injured and did not play.  Argyle's good kicker missed a chip shot field goal inside the 20 with a minute left that would have sent the game to OT. Stephenville celebrated with a 31-28 win.  Stephenville won the next week against Hirschi to win the region and then lost the semifinal against Kennedale the following week.  They ended up 12-3 in 2017.  Argyle was undefeated and ranked #1 in that game.  So things can happen......and they have thru all these years to Argyle.  Argyle has had to endure some very tough circumstances thru the years in the playoffs.  Sometimes in the SC games.  It's been tough watching from the stands when you see what happened and know the team intimately.

35 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

The all-time record for these two teams is (3-1) in favor of Argyle.  Stephenville upset Argyle in 2017  in Round 3, I believe.  That's when our QB Jon Copeland was injured and did not play.  Argyle's good kicker missed a chip shot field goal inside the 20 with a minute left that would have sent the game to OT. Stephenville celebrated with a 31-28 win.  Stephenville won the next week against Hirschi to win the region and then lost the semifinal against Kennedale the following week.  They ended up 12-3 in 2017.  Argyle was undefeated and ranked #1 in that game.  So things can happen......and they have thru all these years to Argyle.  Argyle has had to endure some very tough circumstances thru the years in the playoffs.  Sometimes in the SC games.  It's been tough watching from the stands when you see what happened and know the team intimately.

In 2011, Argyle's QB Austin Aune had the flu and played the SC game against Wimberley with a temp. over 101.  Just crazy things have happened to Argyle......it's been almost unbelievable to see some of these things thru the years.  In 2015, Argyle had LV against the ropes with very little time left in the SC game.  On 2 separate back-to-back timeouts, the Argyle DC put too many players on the field and caused Argyle to lose that game.  One gave LV a first down on third down, and then the next gave them 5 more yards......all with only 2 minutes to play.  They were on about the Argyle 30 yd line when it all came to pass.  It just totally disrupted the defensive unit.......a very weird and unbelievable situation that happened from the sidelines by the coaching staff in the biggest game of the season at the most crucial time in the game. LV scored with less than a minute left and won the SC title 33-31.  The DC did not coach at Argyle the following year, needless to say. There have been more crazy circumstances that happened.......you can make a list of them, LOL.

One thing you can say and expect from Argyle.......they do get the most out of the talent they do have on the field.  Sometimes they are not the most talented team on the field, but still find ways to win.  Argyle is usually very good at execution and discipline by the players......they are well-coached and have a very good understanding of what the coaches are teaching.......and why.  This season Argyle has some very good talent on offense, but so does Melissa, La Vega, and Heritage.  So does Stephenville.......just look at those offensive numbers!!  The Yellowjackets have scored a total of 478 pts. in 11 games this season.  

Season Offensive Numbers

Stephenville has scored a total of 478 pts. this season in 11 games for an average of 43.5 pts/gm.....and that includes 0 against Lampasas.  Stephenville is averaging 253.6 yds/gm passing and 215 yds/gm rushing in 10 games this season.......the Benbrook game has not been added in yet.  But we know the total of TD's scored in 11 games.......66.  So that's an average of 6 TD's per game in 11 games this season.......very impressive to say the least. It would average much higher except for the Lampasas nightmare affair.

Argyle has scored a total of 553 pts. this season in 11 games for an average of 50 pts./gm.  Argyle is averaging 236.5 yds/gm passing and 210.6 yds/gm rushing.  They have scored 78 TD's in 11 games this season......that's alot for 11 games.  Argyle has been very efficient offensively.......they don't require lots of yards to score because they have been the beneficiary of excellent field position this season and very opportunistic.  Argyle is a +27 this season in turnovers( interceptions and fumbles recovered).  Also 5 blocked punts.  Is a blocked punt on 4th down considered a turnover, too?  I didn't count those as turnovers.

5 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Argyle ain't gonna BLOW OUT Stephenville......esp. not at this juncture in the season.  Argyle woudn't have blown them out earlier either. I don't know exactly what happened against Lampasas.......I heard their good QB Gavin Rountree was injured and didn't play the 2nd half.

What do you mean Argyle wouldn't have blown who out earlier in the season? *Stephenville* have Argyle and Sville already played each other this yr? 

And JMO you sound somewhat nervous about this game I may be wrong you could just be giving Sville their props. You don't know something about Argyle in this game that know one else knows do ya?

2 hours ago, WhoamI97539 said:

What do you mean Argyle wouldn't have blown who out earlier in the season? *Stephenville* have Argyle and Sville already played each other this yr? 

And JMO you sound somewhat nervous about this game I may be wrong you could just be giving Sville their props. You don't know something about Argyle in this game that know one else knows do ya?

Nope.......Argyle and Stephenville have not met this season yet.  What I know is that Stephenville can score and has a very talented QB.  They also have a couple of other weapons on offense, naturally.  They aren't where they are because they are "Lucky", LOL.  I watched them take a top-ranked Melissa team to the very limit without winning the game.  They should have won that game.  Like I said.......they are very dangerous for any team to face.  The numbers just don't lie......look at the schedule they played.  The Yellowjackets are a legit Round 2 opponent with a prolific offense.  Hopefully.......they still have some holes in their defense at this late date in the season.  Who did they lose to? Lampasas, Salado, Melissa, La Vega, and Heritage......all ranked teams.  Every one of those teams(except Lampasas early) had to play the starters the whole game because Stephenville was a real threat to win the game.

You can google Melissa vs Stephenville and watch that Livestream game in Melissa.......it was early on Sept 18th.  A truly great game to watch......and you can see both teams at the same time and what kind of offensive firepower both have.  It's really worth the watch. Went down to the last minute......Stephenville led at half and led late in the 4th qtr. before Melissa tied it and finally won in the last minute.....65-58.  This was the game after the 61-45 loss to Salado.......so it was an early indication that Salado was legit and so was Stephenville.  The next week Stephenville defeated a highly ranked Dumas team 46-33.......a team with a very good defense.  It was the only loss for Dumas this season......Dumas stands @ 10-1 right now.

3 hours ago, WhoamI97539 said:

3 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

He been pretty much given the respect especially Paris,Melissa, Vega   even the threads where he is basically the one talking to himself. I do enjoy it and Ville is a worthy opponent. Cautiously optimistic. Kinda like you thought bout lindale and lesser extent Carthage and hendo. Rivalry games are unpredictable .

As AllGoodNames said, Regal always gives props and credit where credit is due to the opposing team. I think he’s just a big time football fan who likes to break down games and share as much info as he can. 

This is just my opinion of how I believe this game will turn out. I don’t think Stephenville has the defense to cover Argyles wide receivers, or stop that 4 headed monster of a backfield that runs behind one of the best lines in 4a. Argyle just has too many weapons and can score in bunches. Stephenville may have a potent offense, but I think the Argyle defense will create turnovers and force the punting team out early. Too much for Stephenville to overcome. The score will indicate a much closer game but that’s only because Argyle will have their backups in by the 4th Quarter ( if not midway through the 3rd ) and Stephenville will score some trash points. I see the depth of Argyle taking a toll on the Ville. Hard to compete against fresh legs at every position. 

Yeah......that all sounds wonderful and logical if this was still the regular season, but it's not.  We are in the playoffs now and there is no tomorrow for either team. What you can expect to see is the unexpected from Stephenville.......they really have nothing to lose by taking some chances.  Argyle is not in the same position.......they have already experienced success this season with a proven track record and don't feel they have to take chances......they will stick with what "brung em".  Stephenville will do whatever is necessary to keep this game tight, try to create some turnovers, and even cheat at the LOS if need be to get an advantage.......whatever it takes!!  Their season has not exactly been one of success.......they have struggled to win the  big games.  

Since Stephenville does have a very potent offense, they feel they can pretty much push those buttons and have some success against any opponent......they already have.  But they also know that the team that scores the most points wins.  So they will do whatever they can defensively also to disrupt Argyle's attack and chances to score.......like taking chances that they haven't done so far this season.  Or maybe something they tried once or twice before during the season, but don't ordinarily do.  They will leave nothing in the bag in this game to beat Argyle and advance........so weighing the alternatives is out the window.  Argyle can expect this same kind of perspective from any and all other playoff teams they face if they keep advancing each week.    Stephenville has a successful season to gain and really nothing to lose by taking some chances to win this game against Argyle this week........that's the  way they look at it.  And guess what........that's the only way to look at it if you are in their shoes.  So just get ready and expect the unexpected.......whatever forms and plays that takes.