Stephenville vs Argyle: Thurs. @ 7 pm Globe Life Park in Arlington

regaleagle

On 11/14/2020 at 9:03 AM, regaleagle said:

10/30 Midlothian Heritage  42-27   L    Jaguars are very good.

This is the game that tells me that they are good enough to beat above average teams, but will lose to great teams.  Stephenville goes down this week, but they will be ready for these teams next year.

• Like 1

Well I tried to cast some doubt and "what ifs" in this  thread and to inform some interested viewers of what kind of team and what kind of season Stephenville has this season.  It's not beyond consideration, even though most of us pretty much feel that Argyle will win this game.  But this is the playoffs in Texas high school football and there are always situations that occur on the field that causes some upsets.  It usually happens when a team is pretty good but their record doesn't show it.  I think that's the kind of team Argyle is facing on Thursday night in Arlington........a pretty decent Stephenville team that maybe could have a much better record if a couple of plays here and there in a couple of games would have been different.  They have definitely played against some very quality teams this season and are still playing to advance.  Now they will get their big chance this week against Argyle to either continue their football season........or to start airing up the basketballs.  Argyle will get the same chance..........should be an exciting game full of action.  Thurs. night at 7 pm in a big stadium in the center of the DFW Metroplex.

Looks like this game will be Livestreamed on NFHS this week starting at 7 pm on Thurs. for those that have bought the monthly pass.  I think the monthly pass is only about $11 and will allow you to see however many games you want from now to the end of the season.  Just remember to cancel your subscription before the month is up or they will automatically charge your card again for the next month.  I do this every season......it's the only way to go to watch lots of playoff games.  And you can watch the ones you didn't see Live during the week with their ON DEMAND feature.

On 11/14/2020 at 9:03 AM, regaleagle said:

Here's their season schedule so you don't have to go look it up. Every team they lost to is a playoff team still playing.   They defeated Benbrook this past Friday in Bi-District 56-14.   Probably their easiest game all season.  Brownwood lost to Kennedale last night also.

8/28   Sweetwater  58-32   W

9/04   Lampasas     41-0     L      Got whipped......wasn't ready for this team.  

9/11    Salado           61-45   L     Pretty good game between two good  teams.

9/18    Melissa         65-58   L     Gave up  the lead late w/ Melissa scoring the go-ahead TD in the last minute in an offensive slugfest......what a game!!

9/24    Dumas         46-33   W    Dumas is known for having a very good defense.  Stephenville just outscored them in this one.

10/2    Brownwood  59-34  W     Stephenville is just better this season.

10/9    La Vega         42-24  L     QB Rauls was back for LV.......enuff said.  

10/16  Alvarado       56-21   W    

10/23 Life Waxahachie 49-13 W

10/30 Midlothian Heritage  42-27   L    Jaguars are very good.

11/13   Benbrook      56-14   W    The Yellowjackets dominated from the opening kickoff.

Looks to me like Stephenville is a very good team offensively and have had all season to shore up and improve defensively.  This team can definitely score lots of points against the best of competition.......that makes them very dangerous.  

Rauls didn't come back until the Brownwood game.  

1 minute ago, coachkells said:

Rauls didn't come back until the Brownwood game.  

Oh.....Okay.  Wasn't really sure since it's difficult to look up anything about LV......LOL.  So LV beat Stephenville without the benefit of Rauls playing in that game, Huh?  I guess that speaks even more about how good La Vega is this season even with Rauls on the sidelines.  And how much better LV is when Rauls is playing and Jordan Rogers is freed up to become one more weapon on both offense and defense.  Hopefully Argyle and La Vega will get another chance to meet this season.......like next week if both teams win this week.  La Vega should handle Hutch no problemo this week.  I wish I could say the same for Argyle against Stephenville........you just never know for sure what might happen.

4 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Oh.....Okay.  Wasn't really sure since it's difficult to look up anything about LV......LOL.  So LV beat Stephenville without the benefit of Rauls playing in that game, Huh?  I guess that speaks even more about how good La Vega is this season even with Rauls on the sidelines.  And how much better LV is when Rauls is playing and Jordan Rogers is freed up to become one more weapon on both offense and defense.  Hopefully Argyle and La Vega will get another chance to meet this season.......like next week if both teams win this week.  La Vega should handle Hutch no problemo this week.  I wish I could say the same for Argyle against Stephenville........you just never know for sure what might happen.

I still think LV's defense is better than Argyle's defense.......and Stephenville's offense is better than Hutch's offense.  So that clears some things up for this week's games and the comment above.  

Having seen both teams in person I will say SVille wil score some points, but Argyle will score at will. The player to watch for SVille is #13. He is one of the best I've seen this year, but SVille's D is not good and IMO Argyle's OL will impose their will. My prediction is Argyle scores early and often then cruises to a 59-27 win.

6 hours ago, randomuser said:

FYI, terrible venue for a football game. Visitor side has decent field vision, home side is terrible as you’re 50 yards from the sideline. They didn’t configure it to well to suit a football game IMO.

So it's a dud of a stadium for football, Huh?  Or at least for watching from the stands.  I guess they are trying to get as many events scheduled there as possible.....so with the larger classifications all still playing full schedules I guess it was easier to select this one for logistical purposes considering all circumstances.

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

So it's a dud of a stadium for football, Huh?  Or at least for watching from the stands.  I guess they are trying to get as many events scheduled there as possible.....so with the larger classifications all still playing full schedules I guess it was easier to select this one for logistical purposes considering all circumstances.

Haven't heard yet who the home team is........sounds like the home team gets the dud side in this setup.

37 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I love all the work and analysis you put into the matchups every week, regal, it really is fun!

But this one won't be all that close. Argyle wins it by four scores.

I appreciate the votes of confidence here.........but it really doesn't ease the digestion, LOL.  I've just seen so many big games for Argyle thru the years.......all of them!  I guess I'm a little gun-shy nowadays.........I have a pretty good feeling how Coach Rodgers might feel at times.  But looking at the pics of that retrofit stadium, it  don't look bad at all.  Heck, there's enough quality seating for 15,000 for sure.......with good seats on the first level.  And this is only a 4A Round 2 playoff game when other games are being played at the same time.......how many people will even bother to attend???  Besides.......most fans can pay less for a NFHS pass and watch it in the privacy of their own home.  So except for the loyal fanbases of both schools and some local playoff football junkies.......and maybe some cultish Argyle fans from around the area.........should have no problem getting a good seat for this one if you wanna see it in person.     BTW......it says the capacity is right at 49,000......just to give you an idea.  So 10,000 good seats is for real.

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

IMO yes, some love the venue most don’t. I just thought the configuration was terrible. I hope everyone enjoys the game though. Arlington ISD uses the stadium for home games.

Well heck........I just don't understand why Texan Live cannot just run a good Livestream.  It's like we get to see only about 65-75% of the game........the rest is lost connection.  The Argyle Broadcasting Network never had these issues when they Livestream games........and they aren't even in the business.......they are amateurs at it compared to a server like NFHS.  There is really no excuse for such bad everything from NFHS.  

Argyle 42

Stephenville 14

Halftime

On 11/16/2020 at 5:34 PM, Argyle2014 said:

This is just my opinion of how I believe this game will turn out. I don’t think Stephenville has the defense to cover Argyles wide receivers, or stop that 4 headed monster of a backfield that runs behind one of the best lines in 4a. Argyle just has too many weapons and can score in bunches. Stephenville may have a potent offense, but I think the Argyle defense will create turnovers and force the punting team out early. Too much for Stephenville to overcome. The score will indicate a much closer game but that’s only because Argyle will have their backups in by the 4th Quarter ( if not midway through the 3rd ) and Stephenville will score some trash points. I see the depth of Argyle taking a toll on the Ville. Hard to compete against fresh legs at every position. 

Nailed it again. 

Argyle 56

Stephenville 14

Argyle switched out to the 2nd team offense with 4 min. left in the 3rd.  Now Stephenville is driving and inside the 15 against the 2nd team defense.  TD Stephenville on the first play of the 4th qtr as I update this.  Kick is wide left.

Argyle   56

Stephenville 20                   Just starting the 4th.

Argyle   56

Stephenville 27

Final

Argyle dominated the 2nd and 3rd qtrs........put in the backups w/4 min. left in the 3rd.  Stephenville scored 13 pts in the 4th on the backup defense w/their starters.  They did score 14 pts in the first quarter, but never led or tied in this game.  The Argyle D gets some props for bend but don't break style and forced alot of turnovers and stops so that the Argyle offense could do its thing.

CJ Rodgers   11/17 for 304 yds and 4 TD's passing.     Tito Byce had over 140 yds rushing in some limited minutes.  He did have a 72 yd run right up the middle for a TD.  There were lots of offensive numbers from the Argyle skill players for only less than 3 qtrs. played. Argyle had 3 interceptions and 3 fumbles recovered.  No interceptions or fumbles given up by Argyle.   Argyle is now +34 for the season in turnovers.  Stephenville rushed for 304 yds tonight also.  Stephenville came in with only 4 turnovers given up all season, but had 6 to Argyle tonight.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:00 AM, d0tc0m said:

I love all the work and analysis you put into the matchups every week, regal, it really is fun!

But this one won't be all that close. Argyle wins it by four scores.

Yep.......4 scores it was, but could've been more had the starters remained in a little longer.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 8:12 AM, Texski said:

Having seen both teams in person I will say SVille wil score some points, but Argyle will score at will. The player to watch for SVille is #13. He is one of the best I've seen this year, but SVille's D is not good and IMO Argyle's OL will impose their will. My prediction is Argyle scores early and often then cruises to a 59-27 win.

Dang.......almost hit the exact score Texski.  How'd you do that???