Tyler High vs Highland Park

cujoforlife

35 minutes ago, bingosmith said:

How does 1 more win get them into the playoffs?

Well, they already beat Wylie East and West. 

If they can beat one of Sherman/Longview/HP....they're in. They especially have to beat Sherman (who we assume will take care of West like they should).

Now, what are the chances that Tyler beats any of those teams. Slim lol

2 minutes ago, ANTI said:

If they can beat one of Sherman/Longview/HP....they're in. They especially have to beat Sherman (who we assume will take care of West like they should).

Sadly true lol 

2 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Assuming everything goes the way it's suppose to.

Highland Park finishes 6-0, Longview finishes 4-1. West Mesquite finishes 1-5/0-6. Wylie East finishes 1-5/0-6.

Sherman, McKinney North and Tyler are left.

Sherman is 1-1 with McKinney North, Tyler and West Mesquite left.

McKinney North is 3-1 with Sherman and Longview left.

Tyler is 2-1 with Highland Park, Sherman and Longview left.

Let's put Sherman at 2-1 with North/Tyler left, Tyler are 2-3 with Sherman left and North at 3-2 with Sherman left.

This is where I don't get what would happen if Sherman finishes 3-2 with a loss to Tyler and Tyler finishes 3-3...especially if North finishes 3-3 too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Yikes. If Tyler wins this game I will never say nothing about Holmes the rest of the season. 

Same with me specially if they with Sanchez I’m seeing a blowout but the only way they will win is if it’s a low scoring game to even have a chance 

1 hour ago, bingosmith said:

How does 1 more win get them into the playoffs?

I thought Sherman had played North, but it was McKinney instead.  i guess Cujo isn't in if they beat Sherman, but I think North will beat Sherman, but I could be wrong.  If that does happen, Cujo just needs to be Sherman to get in, although depending on tie breakers, they could still get in even if Sherman beats North.

20 hours ago, VonG said:

Tyler, Texas football as a whole is in bad shape. The teams in middle school be good but as soon as they get to high school.... I just don't understand it. The surrounding areas are doing good. Whitehouse is undefeated. Lindale won district. Chapel Hill made it to the second round. Tisd high schools on the other hand.

I guess we ran out of good QBs coming through the system. It was fun while it lasted. Jeremy Johnson, David Bush, Greg Ward, Geo McAllister, Zack Hall, Bryson Smith, Chance Amie, and I'll even throw in Cadillac Woods. I don't know if we'll ever see that again. With the system both teams run. They need a dynamic qb to be successful. 

This is the million dollar question.  How is it Moore and Boulter had two very good teams last yr, but now Cujo doesn't have a freshman team.  I get that Coach promoted about 10 freshman to JV/Varsity, but something seems to be out of sort.  I guess we will see how this plays out, but I'm not excited about it. 

I think Ford could have been a decent QB for Cujo this yr.  I think if Sanchez is the guy next yr, it would be a major drop off in QB play.  The QB from Boulter last yr is on Varsity and he hasn't played a snap this yr.  Why not play him on Fresh/JV so he can get reps instead.  I guess we got to trust to process...smh. 

18 minutes ago, 3rdcoastent said:

Same with me specially if they with Sanchez I’m seeing a blowout but the only way they will win is if it’s a low scoring game to even have a chance 

Its hard for me to see Sanchez finishing the game against HP of LV because I think he will be a turnover machine against either one.  Pinkard makes mistakes, but his upside and ability to make up for them is much higher. Sanchez is very limited.   But we might as well get used to it because I'm pretty sure he will be QB next yr.

28 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Its hard for me to see Sanchez finishing the game against HP of LV because I think he will be a turnover machine against either one.  Pinkard makes mistakes, but his upside and ability to make up for them is much higher. Sanchez is very limited.   But we might as well get used to it because I'm pretty sure he will be QB next yr.

He might not finish cause hes gonna get hammered from the o line not being able to block for more than 1-2 seconds lol. 

28 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

One more year of Sanchez  it’s going to be a hard year next year but at least most the team coming back but still gone have to wait a year or two to maybe find a qb 

Holmes must not like talent at the QB position.

Ford got chased off, lost out on one of the best 2024 QB talents in TX...and wont develop the other 2024 QB by giving him any type of reps. Now this.

Why would Sanchez get the nod over Pinkard this season? 

5 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Holmes must not like talent at the QB position.

Ford got chased off, lost out on one of the best 2024 QB talents in TX...and wont develop the other 2024 QB by giving him any type of reps. Now this.

Why would Sanchez get the nod over Pinkard this season? 

man...there are so many questions.  Holmes had been pretty good at selecting QBs until recent. Pinkard was the Freshman QB.  Pinkard played last yr at RB/WR but he was more of a utility player.  He should have been the 2nd or 3rd string QB and Sanchez should have been on JV.   

Its alot going on in the program. There have been several kids to quit this yr, including some varsity starters. 

I guess he going with Sanchez to get him ready for next yr. Don't have a clue, but you can clearly see the Offense has taken a step back since he has been at QB.  I hate to criticize the kid, because he plays hard. Maybe next yr he is the answer, but not this yr. 

28 minutes ago, ANTI said:

My question is, who in the world is the JV QB if the freshmen QB isnt?

I know his last name is Johnson. I think Eric is his first name. He is a soph and a lefty. He is built like a linebacker, and he has a strong arm....lol  Probably not going to be the qb of the future but who knows with this staff.

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I know his last name is Johnson. I think Eric is his first name. He is a soph and a lefty. He is built like a linebacker, and he has a strong arm....lol  Probably not going to be the qb of the future but who knows with this staff.

The jv used 3 different QBs when they played Legacy. He was not the starter. He is not built like a linebacker. More like a right guard. His name is Kenderrick. Probably didn't spell it right. He is the little brother of Eric (Tank) Davis.

Obviously, the lack of growth on “Da Nawf” and West sides of the city are the main culprits to what JT is going thru right now. A lack of decent paying unskilled labor jobs forces certain age groups and demographics to move out of Tyler. It’s a transplant medical and retirement town. We should be seeing legacy type names on the rosters of both Tyler programs by now. My personal prediction is that 3-8 football seasons will become more of the norm for this program. High school football is simple. You either out scheme (ala HP), and let’s not kid our selves, this staff isn’t out scheming anybody ever. Or you out “athlete” teams (Duncanville) which JT can’t seem to do anymore. When scheme meets talent, you get state titles. Any one of us could win 10 plus games with the Qb talent JT had in years past. HS programs don’t have runs at the QB position like that. It’s almost unheard of. Should’ve won big when you had the horses. The coach has become bigger than the program. Ego? Possibly. He’ll never win big by running off players though. He should be able to be consistently successful year in and year out. He should definitely be able to suit up a freshman squad. 

4 minutes ago, LionHated said:

Obviously, the lack of growth on “Da Nawf” and West sides of the city are the main culprits to what JT is going thru right now. A lack of decent paying unskilled labor jobs forces certain age groups and demographics to move out of Tyler. It’s a transplant medical and retirement town. We should be seeing legacy type names on the rosters of both Tyler programs by now. My personal prediction is that 3-8 football seasons will become more of the norm for this program. High school football is simple. You either out scheme (ala HP), and let’s not kid our selves, this staff isn’t out scheming anybody ever. Or you out “athlete” teams (Duncanville) which JT can’t seem to do anymore. When scheme meets talent, you get state titles. Any one of us could win 10 plus games with the Qb talent JT had in years past. HS programs don’t have runs at the QB position like that. It’s almost unheard of. Should’ve won big when you had the horses. The coach has become bigger than the program. Ego? Possibly. He’ll never win big by running off players though. He should be able to be consistently successful year in and year out. He should definitely be able to suit up a freshman squad. 

Took the words right out of my mouth, especially the last couple of sentences. The coach thinks everything is about him, and now his program is suffering because of the terrible ego. But if he is content with consistent 3-8 seasons then hey so be it. 

In that case, money well spent then. Kinda like refacing high schools...smh Tyler. The boys basketball program went thru a similar type situation in the 90’s. Won, but never won big due to the coaches ego. The talent was there. Yearly, you can win enough games to justify not being fired off the talent pool alone at JT. Do we not want to compete for state titles? People in this very thread actually think playing HP within 50 points would be some kind of moral victory, not to mention an unlikelihood. I mean, Tyler/Sherman is a toss up game!! Really? Think about that. Oh how the mighty have fallen. 

9 hours ago, LionHated said:

In that case, money well spent then. Kinda like refacing high schools...smh Tyler. The boys basketball program went thru a similar type situation in the 90’s. Won, but never won big due to the coaches ego. The talent was there. Yearly, you can win enough games to justify not being fired off the talent pool alone at JT. Do we not want to compete for state titles? People in this very thread actually think playing HP within 50 points would be some kind of moral victory, not to mention an unlikelihood. I mean, Tyler/Sherman is a toss up game!! Really? Think about that. Oh how the mighty have fallen. 

This is true 

14 hours ago, VonG said:

The jv used 3 different QBs when they played Legacy. He was not the starter. He is not built like a linebacker. More like a right guard. His name is Kenderrick. Probably didn't spell it right. He is the little brother of Eric (Tank) Davis.

LOL!!!!!!  

14 hours ago, LionHated said:

I agree with about 95% of this.  But I can't blame lack of growth as an issue.  If you look, Tyler has by far had the most growth out of any city in East Texas.  Granted, all of it has been in Legacy/Lee zone. But despite all that growth, the Red Raiders haven't done anything in football recently, other than beating Cujo half the time and an down Lufkin team this yr. 

Longview is growing, but not like Tyler and their program remains in good shape. Heck, even Pine Tree is decent now.  Like Tyler, there has been demographic changes in Longview too, but they still get kids out for football.  Tyler has a great little league system, and the middle schools have been decent in football. Just last yr, you could say Boulter and Moore were on par with the Longview Middle Schools, but somehow Longview 9th grade just beat Highland Park by 50+ points, and it could have been worse. BUT...Cujo can't field a freshman team.    Something is wrong with this picture.    

How can a middle age coach from Louisiana get the kids from the South and East Side of Longview wanting to run through brick walls for him, but a young coach from North Tyler who went to school with alot of the parents and can easily relate more to the kids at the school, can't get kids to play for him despite having recent success?    I just saw John King make kids run a ton of sprints after a fight in a scrimmage this yr.  I guarantee not one kid quit the team after that.  I don't know what it is but you got to look at the top. 

You are right, Cujo had a string of QBs, that most public school programs will hardly ever see.   One issue is that Cujo scheme relies on having a good qb.  But Longview runs a system that doesn't. The run the ball, eat clock, and play physical. I saw them go 4 rounds deep a few yrs ago with a very avg qb. And they could have beat Lake Ridge that day.  

Something needs to change soon because the program is in bad shape.