Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Whitehouse (7-0, 4-0) vs. Pine Tree (5-1-1, 3-1)


Recommended Posts

To really see how good WH is, we need to see how they play when they don't get an early lead. I think they have had a lead early in every game and works into their running game. To WH credit they have made the plays to get the early lead. I think PT finally puts them in early hole and exposes the WH passing game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RonLigma said:

Pine tree wins. defense played good against the run vs thigh just got worn down and had no answer for #5 in the passing gm. 

Not sure if I agree with your assessment of Pine Tree’s defense against the run. Texas High had 228 yards rushing in the game. The #1 RB was injured in the second quarter after rushing for 64 yards. The remaining 164 yards were largely gained by a 3rd string and a JV running back. The common factor with all the Texas High running backs is they ran behind an offensive line that dominated the opponent’s defensive line. I agree they did not give up many big plays on the ground, but 7 yard runs were common.  I hope Freeman is available tonight for Pine Tree.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bordertown said:

Not sure if I agree with your assessment of Pine Tree’s defense against the run. Texas High had 228 yards rushing in the game. The #1 RB was injured in the second quarter after rushing for 64 yards. The remaining 164 yards were largely gained by a 3rd string and a JV running back. The common factor with all the Texas High running backs is they ran behind an offensive line that dominated the opponent’s defensive line. I agree they did not give up many big plays on the ground, but 7 yard runs were common.  I hope Freeman is available tonight for Pine Tree.

thigh got their yards but i think most of that came in the 2nd half when both teams started to lose interest, pine tree took most of their starters upfront out after the 3rd as well. no argument from me I just think Pine tree did a good job early  to make it a point to stop the run and  force Thigh to throw it (Mchenry had 4 pass td’s the first half  ) 2  and  two of those being on 4th down. I think he had close to 70 on the ground on a few busted plays. they found 200 yards last week but from week to week I’d have to say pine tree played them the best upfront other than mt pleasant for a half. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, WildTexan said:

Pine Tree defense is weak against a balanced  run/pass type game. 

If Whitehouse can make at least 3 to 4 defensive stops in the game they should have a better than even chance of winning the game. 

Whitehouse is far from balanced. They are a run heavy team, with a QB that doesn't run himself. They rotate 3 backs and play well with the lead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

To really see how good WH is, we need to see how they play when they don't get an early lead. I think they have had a lead early in every game and works into their running game. To WH credit they have made the plays to get the early lead. I think PT finally puts them in early hole and exposes the WH passing game. 

Wasn't NAC beating WH 17-14 to start the 4th quarter before they ripped off 21 unanswered points?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeBurns23 said:

Wasn't NAC beating WH 17-14 to start the 4th quarter before they ripped off 21 unanswered points?

3 points is not a hole that change the run/pass. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

3 points is not a hole that change the run/pass. 

and WH took the early lead, helped by unforced errors that gave WH a 14-10 halftime lead. I am saying an early lead that pulls WH out of being able to turn and hand the ball off 40 times in the game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

and WH took the early lead, helped by unforced errors that gave WH a 14-10 halftime lead. I am saying an early lead that pulls WH out of being able to turn and hand the ball off 40 times in the game. 

Well, I don't think good football teams usually find themselves in what you call "holes." Can't fault them for not losing games they have a lead in. I honestly don't think they are very talented myself. They just keep finding a way to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JoeBurns23 said:

Well, I don't think good football teams usually find themselves in what you call "holes." Can't fault them for not losing games they have a lead in. I honestly don't think they are very talented myself. They just keep finding a way to win.

Not faulting for them not losing at all, they are well coached and wait for other teams to beat themselves. As you said they find ways to win games, in my opinion they have been that way since Mahomes graduated. I just think that a team that stops their running game and doesn't turn it over to WH will beat them. No one on their schedule has done it yet. I think that will change 2 of their last 3 games. Tonight's game is going to be dictated by the health of the PT QB. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Not faulting for them not losing at all, they are well coached and wait for other teams to beat themselves. As you said they find ways to win games, in my opinion they have been that way since Mahomes graduated. I just think that a team that stops their running game and doesn't turn it over to WH will beat them. No one on their schedule has done it yet. I think that will change 2 of their last 3 games. Tonight's game is going to be dictated by the health of the PT QB. 

I can definitely agree on all that. How good is Pine Tree's defense?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeBurns23 said:

I can definitely agree on all that. How good is Pine Tree's defense?

From what I saw against Nac and Jax, both teams had a lot of success with short slants and crossing patterns. PT has a very good Nose Tackle and can stuff the run. Nac dropped a few wide open passes and had chances to stay in the game and made mistakes. Jax played a very clean game with very few penalties and turnovers. Jax QB was on fire against PT and it was very close. PT keeps the WR in front of them and come and make the tackle, cant get behind the chains. Make no mistake PT is a very good football team and they have more talent and speed than I have seen from PT in long time. Cant use the TH game as a gauge on who they are. 

PT #1 running back is back this week, got hurt against Nac. They have a Wideout that has sticky hands and makes some great catches. QB Freeman is the best QB in the district(if healthy).  

 

This is going to be a good game, and like most High School games turnovers and penalties are going to decide this game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pine Tree 21 Whitehouse 7 through 3 Quarters.

RJ

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pine Tree 27 Whitehouse 14...6:42 of 4th.

RJ

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pine Tree 27 Whitehouse 14...FINAL

RJ

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pine Tree's Offense awoke with three explosive plays in the 2nd Half to pull away and defeat Whitehouse.

DJ Freeman had two long TD passes of 70 & 64 yards and Tyler Sheffield broke off a 53 TD run sandwiched in between those two passes for the huge win !

The Pirates defense bent but never really broke in continually turning the Wildcats away on downs.

Pine Tree has set itself up to do no worse than a second place finish in District 9-5A D-II should they win out against Mt.Pleasant & Hallsville.

RJ

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...