Region 2 final Mount Vernon vs Malakoff

Guest Tiger03lb

Mount Vernon vs Malakoff for region 2 finals  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

This poll is closed to new votes

12 hours ago, VZCR said:

I think Malakoff will probably win; however, to think it will be a walk-over is a little too much. Someone is forgetting who is calling shots at MV. He is one of the best Texas HS football has ever seen. I'm not taking a thing away from Jamie Driskell...in time he will prove he will be on that list.

Is that statement still holding true? I mean when i see that being typed on message boards i sort of just scratch my head. He is one if the best record wise no doubt but if that statement was REALLY true, he wouldn’t be winning 24-21 against West and 12-7 against Minny. I mean this is Mt Vernon not SVille or Baylor. Also the idea that MV has been conservative and holding plays back the last 2 weeks just to unleash them this week is just laughable. They will have to play their absolute best game of the season against Koff and even then it still may not be enough 

2 hours ago, chevyman said:

Is that statement still holding true? I mean when i see that being typed on message boards i sort of just scratch my head. He is one if the best record wise no doubt but if that statement was REALLY true, he wouldn’t be winning 24-21 against West and 12-7 against Minny. I mean this is Mt Vernon not SVille or Baylor. Also the idea that MV has been conservative and holding plays back the last 2 weeks just to unleash them this week is just laughable. They will have to play their absolute best game of the season against Koff and even then it still may not be enough 

I believe the statement is absolutely true regarding Coach Briles. However, if you dont have the players, great Coaching can only take you so far. 

Seen lots of talk about about MV offense vs Mally defense but can MV defense stop Mally offense?

Mally offense comparable to GWs offense? I feel Mally doesn’t have the threats GW offense had but different scheme so that’d be a interesting matchup to watch. 

2 hours ago, eagle34 said:

I believe the statement is absolutely true regarding Coach Briles. However, if you dont have the players, great Coaching can only take you so far. 

It has helped tremendously to have the qb he has. Would be a mediocre team imo without him. 

19 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Seen lots of talk about about MV offense vs Mally defense but can MV defense stop Mally offense?

Mally offense comparable to GWs offense? I feel Mally doesn’t have the threats GW offense had but different scheme so that’d be a interesting matchup to watch. 

I think thats where the difference is going to lie. Mally will really test MV secondary and Peace will play a big role too. The discrepancy will be that Mally defense will be much better than GWs so MV will not be able to out score them

Guest Tiger03lb
2 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

GW has a d1 receiver and maybe 2 more receivers but koff has more targets to throw to than GW, I'd say 5/6 targets total and any of them can take it for a td. Imo, Peace is more of a threat than Holmes. Peace is not afraid to run and hit and gives hits. Hart is a smaller version of Carter. And Langley is probably a little bit better than #9 or whatever his number is for GW's other rb. Smith and Jones are more physical receivers than GW's as well. Koff has more team speed too. 

It'll be tough to shut down both run/pass or either one for MV. I honestly don't see them doing it. Imo, the only thing that can shutdown koff's offense is koff themselves. I don't know how many penalties we had but it had to be close to 100 yds and somehow we still won. 

Second half adjustments are koff's strengths. 

On defense, It'll have to be another great performance for our secondary. We got burnt a couple of times in the first qtr but after we settled down in the 2nd qtr we were doing good. I think we'll have to pressure the qb like we did against Potts. 

I'm thinking it'll be a 35/42 koff to 14/21  MV in this game. 

58 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

GW has a d1 receiver and maybe 2 more receivers but koff has more targets to throw to than GW, I'd say 5/6 targets total and any of them can take it for a td. Imo, Peace is more of a threat than Holmes. Peace is not afraid to run and hit and gives hits. Hart is a smaller version of Carter. And Langley is probably a little bit better than #9 or whatever his number is for GW's other rb. Smith and Jones are more physical receivers than GW's as well. Koff has more team speed too. 

It'll be tough to shut down both run/pass or either one for MV. I honestly don't see them doing it. Imo, the only thing that can shutdown koff's offense is koff themselves. I don't know how many penalties we had but it had to be close to 100 yds and somehow we still won. 

Second half adjustments are koff's strengths. 

On defense, It'll have to be another great performance for our secondary. We got burnt a couple of times in the first qtr but after we settled down in the 2nd qtr we were doing good. I think we'll have to pressure the qb like we did against Potts. 

I'm thinking it'll be a 35/42 koff to 14/21  MV in this game. 

Hopefully the conditions are better..I feel like the first half rain messed with Peace and his throws...They were a little off in the 1st half..Had some open guys just couldn't get it to them..If the conditions are favorable then I think you are pretty spot on in your assessment.  I am going to try and find some MV film and see what they offer...Going to try and make this one for sure.

8 hours ago, chevyman said:

Exactly right, even more of an outstanding coaching job he is doing in MT VERNON TEXAS.   Wow!

1 minute ago, chevyman said:

Helps to have a prototype spread qb show up last year too. Not beating a dead horse just stating the obvious 

Chevy, you can dislike the man because of what did or didn't happen at Baylor, but you cant deny his ability as a Football Coach. I have a feeling if he chose Winnsboro instead of Mt. Vernon your opinion may be a little different. 

27 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Chevy, you can dislike the man because of what did or didn't happen at Baylor, but you cant deny his ability as a Football Coach. I have a feeling if he chose Winnsboro instead of Mt. Vernon your opinion may be a little different. 

I don’t think ive said anything about disliking anybody. We’ve got our guy so im not really into hypotheticals. He can coach yes but the idea that just cause he IS the coach gives them an overwhelming advantage is just false. 

Guest Tiger03lb
51 minutes ago, Zebrafan93 said:

Hopefully the conditions are better..I feel like the first half rain messed with Peace and his throws...They were a little off in the 1st half..Had some open guys just couldn't get it to them..If the conditions are favorable then I think you are pretty spot on in your assessment.  I am going to try and find some MV film and see what they offer...Going to try and make this one for sure.

I agree, it greatly effected him. You saw that td pass to Smith in the 3rd was spot on and in great coverage after it cleared up. Imo, Peace does not get enough praise. He has stepped up his game a lot this year. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

I agree, it greatly effected him. You saw that td pass to Smith in the 3rd was spot on and in great coverage after it cleared up. Imo, Peace does not get enough praise. He has stepped up his game a lot this year. 

For sure, he made some big plays on that last drive to keep it going.  And that pass was a thing of beauty..couldn't have walked it down and handed it to him any better

Guest Tiger03lb
10 minutes ago, Blazin97 said:

That’s weird. MV is selling actual tickets at the school and they are only $6. 

Have no clue to why they are different prices. We've sold tickets online all year except the first game. 

Guest Tiger03lb
2 minutes ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

Malakoff charging they people extra 1.50$ for processing purposes lol

Guess so. Lol. Gotta pay for busses and bonuses somehow. Lol.