Nacogdoches (4-4)(3-3) Vs. Marshall (5-4)(3-3)

Mavchamp

Nacogdoches Vs. Marshall  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Nacogdoches by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • Nacogdoches in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

49 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Nobody said we were a shutdown team on defense but I do like our chances. the performance against T high wasn’t a fluke. If they play to their potential they can cause a offense problems. I’m happy for the success of PT I remember when that used to be a easy W in football. We are trying to get to that point where teams respect us.

Nac secondary is good. O gifted 7 points on the pick 6. but they caused some prob upfront most of the night when thigh tried to pass. thigh played as bad as they have all year on offense. Defense only gave up 10 points. I bet they had  More penalties in 1 game than they have had all year. Credit Nac they were ready and played good. 

A lot factors in against Marshall. They’ve had two weeks for this game, it’s at home and a chance to play next week. hard to think they aren’t up for it. mavs def have some players

14 hours ago, country said:

Critical thing from having watched both teams is Marshall O line vs Nac D line.

That alone may wipe out any other advantages Marshall may have.

The Mav defense is our advantage. 
They have kept us in most games. 
Was 10-7 PT at the half.  WH only scored 1 TD on our defense in the first half.   And the defense held Texas High to 14 points in the first half. The other score was special teams. 

Our defense held PT, WH, and THS to 4 first half touchdowns in three combined games. The other 2 first half TDs were 1 against special teams and one on an offensive turnover. 

We held MP to 157 total yards.  6 yards rushing. And 50 of that 157 was one play. 

Shut down a pretty dang good Jacksonville offense the 2nd half minus one play late in the game.  

No doubt our offense has had its struggles. But our defense has kept us in most games.

And some of y’all are forgetting.... this is a struggling Mav offense that still has almost 2000 yards passing. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

And some of y’all are forgetting.... this is a struggling Mav offense that still has almost 2000 yards passing. 

I think the issue I see is Nac's D Line.   They gave us all we wanted.   It all depends on how much time your QB gets.

52 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

I think the issue I see is Nac's D Line.   They gave us all we wanted.   It all depends on how much time your QB gets.

Can’t argue that. 

But the only defenses that have shut us down were PT and Texas High. 

In the other district games we are averaging 30.0 PPG.

THS has the best defense in the district.  So it’s hard to compare. 

2 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

100% Nac wins this. Saw Marshall play - not very good this year & won't be in the near future.

That’s a strong post for a couple of reasons. 

I don’t believe it’s 100 I believe it’s 50/50 

Marshall has been stable for years plus they have home field advantage. 

they are stout on defense and when the offense is clicking they are hard to stop the Nac D has another challenge on their hands. 

we haven’t beaten Marshall since 2006 and we had to play dang near perfect to do it. 

this Nac team does not have a signature win in the short Allman era so far. We have beaten the teams we were supposed to beat. 

while it’s been some growing pains for Marshall this year a win for them locks up another playoff berth 7 straight years and 14 out of 17 past seasons. If we win it will only be the 5th time for us since 92. 

Marshall’s lower grade levels are doing pretty good so they should be in Good shape for the years to follow. 

I want us to win on Friday it will get us going in the right direction. Allman will follow in Reyes and Harper’s  footsteps as being  a Nac coach to get his team to the playoffs in his 2nd year. To say it a win for us is 100% is bold very bold.

2 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

100% Nac wins this. Saw Marshall play - not very good this year & won't be in the near future.

Which game did you see?  Have you seen Nac play?  Which Nac games did you see?  What are the weaknesses of the Marshall team that isn't very good?  Have you scouted their underclassmen and Jr High teams?  Do you know the coaching staff at Marshall?

7 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

He’s been trolling Marshall all season. 

He wants it to be true even though deep down he knows it won’t.  It’s wishful thinking.   

Win or lose this Friday..... Marshall will be fine going forward into the future  

5 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Which game did you see?  Have you seen Nac play?  Which Nac games did you see?  What are the weaknesses of the Marshall team that isn't very good?  Have you scouted their underclassmen and Jr High teams?  Do you know the coaching staff at Marshall?

For the record, I in no way believe this a 100% Nac win. Have no allegiances to anyone, just a fan, as the name states. I’d call this a 50-50 game. 

Have seen WH-Marshall, PT-Marshall. Saw some livestream of Nac-WH, and watched Nac-T High. IMO, they have an offensive philosophy problem. And it baffles me when a place that has the athletes Marshall has doesn’t develop QB’s or O Linemen. Not all on current staff, and actually thought it was super impressive what the staff did with Savion and the offense last year. Defensively they are legit. Have seen freshman and JV, and I honestly don’t see a ton of help coming there. Not sure who won the district sub-varsity wise, but once again, with the athleticism running around in Marshall, hard to see them not winning or competing more in this district sub-varsity wise. Don’t know any of the staff. Know the perigee is there, just curious how much time he’ll be given. 

I can’t remember the last time we had a legit JV. The best sophomores usually move up to varsity every season.  

We currently have 10 sophomores on varsity this season.  Mostly on this O-line that we’ve all bemoaned.  

We knew back in the spring it was our weakest link.  It had the most holes to replace from graduation.  It was no secret.  We all saw it being an issue.  

The freshman team is one play from being (6-2)and one of those losses is to an undefeated Longview team. If they had played a similar non-district schedule to their district counterparts that could have been (7-1).  They are (4-2) in district.  One of those losses was by 2 points.  Biggest loss was 22-12 to WH. 

The well isn’t dry.  We’re young this season.  We’ve had some struggles....yet here we are playing for a playoff spot..... for the 8th season in a row.  

Texas High had a season like this 2 years ago. JT is having one this season. LP is struggling.  We all go through it.  Yet we still have a chance in week 11.  I’ll take it if this is struggling. 

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

He’s been trolling Marshall all season. 

He wants it to be true even though deep down he knows it won’t.  It’s wishful thinking.   

Win or lose this Friday..... Marshall will be fine going forward into the future  

I've seen how those players act and the coaching that goes along with it. They have the 2nd most talented team in the district yet they are fighting to get in the playoffs. They have been good in the past with athletes far superior to the rest of the district. The kind of culture they have was determined to breed failure. Not trolling - I'll just be here telling you I told ya so in a couple years. Pressure it on with the new facilities!! 

I'm not saying it will be a blow out - but watch the difference in how NAC approaches the game vs Marshall. There will be a different level of energy!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

I've seen how those players act and the coaching that goes along with it. They have the 2nd most talented team in the district yet they are fighting to get in the playoffs. They have been good in the past with athletes far superior to the rest of the district. The kind of culture they have was determined to breed failure. Not trolling - I'll just be here telling you I told ya so in a couple years. Pressure it on with the new facilities!! 

I'm not saying it will be a blow out - but watch the difference in how NAC approaches the game vs Marshall. There will be a different level of energy!!

So..... a group of kids that entered this season on a 26 game district winning streak that dated back to 2016.... and had won 3 consecutive district titles...  four titles in five years... had 2 region semifinals appearances ... suddenly forgot how to win????

It’’s not because the offensive line is very young.  Mostly sophomores with no varsity experience.  They forgot. 

It not because of a QB that had never had a varsity start. We forgot  

It’s not because of an experienced (9-0) Texas High team that had already beaten Lufkin last season in the playoffs dropped down to D2.  We forgot  

it’s not because PT has their best team in 40 years and a generational QB. We forgot.

A staff that won a district title last season forgot how to win. 

A program that has been one of the most consistent playoff teams for the last 2 decades suddenly forgot how to win.

And you surmised all this based on a game you attended that Marshall won 42-21.

OK.   Your wife’s name Karen??? 

Will you show up Saturday to eat that crow if your wrong???  Or will you regurgitate it all (again) Vs Huntsville???

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

So..... a group of kids that entered this season on a 26 game district winning streak that dated back to 2016.... and had won 3 consecutive district titles...  four titles in five years... had 2 region semifinals appearances ... suddenly forgot how to win????

It’’s not because the offensive line is very young.  Mostly sophomores with no varsity experience.  They forgot. 

It not because of a QB that had never had a varsity start. We forgot  

It’s not because of an experienced (9-0) Texas High team that had already beaten Lufkin last season in the playoffs dropped down to D2.  We forgot  

it’s not because PT has their best team in 40 years and a generational QB. We forgot.

A staff that won a district title last season forgot how to win. 

A program that has been one of the most consistent playoff teams for the last 2 decades suddenly forgot how to win.

And you surmised all this based on a game you attended that Marshall won 42-21.

OK.   Your wife’s name Karen??? 

Will you show up Saturday to eat that crow if your wrong???  Or will you regurgitate it all (again) Vs Huntsville???

You are giving him exactly what he wants, he is just pushing your buttons!! Don't let someone with zero stake in this game get you riled up!! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

You are giving him exactly what he wants, he is just pushing your buttons!! Don't let someone with zero stake in this game get you riled up!! 

I just hate seeing opinion and innuendo being stated as fact to the detriment of a bunch of kids and staff that are working their tails off. 

We’re having a tough year.  It happens to everyone. 

But even in a tough year.... here we are playing for a spot in week 11. 

34 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I just hate seeing opinion and innuendo being stated as fact to the detriment of a bunch of kids and staff that are working their tails off. 

Fact check: Marshall's entire offensive line were seniors and returning starters. Along with a SENIOR QB, SENIOR RB, SENIOR TE, AND SENIOR WR core. These guys were playing in the 2 games I saw, so sounds like you're making excuses.

Where is all the young talent in Marshall if these guys aren't getting it done? ANSWER: There is none.

I will be at the game vs NAC. I will indeed eat my words if I am wrong. But if you are wrong, you'll be living in the past for awhile. 

44 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree 100%, but the more you glorify him with responses the more he is going to dig in.

5 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

Fact check: Marshall's entire offensive line were seniors and returning starters. Along with a SENIOR QB, SENIOR RB, SENIOR TE, AND SENIOR WR core. These guys were playing in the 2 games I saw, so sounds like you're making excuses.

Where is all the young talent in Marshall if these guys aren't getting it done? ANSWER: There is none.

I will be at the game vs NAC. I will indeed eat my words if I am wrong. But if you are wrong, you'll be living in the past for awhile. 

Only one returning offensive linemen from last season is playing their original positions: L Satchel

W Smith was moved from tackle to guard because Sr Vasquez was lost for the season.

Sr Dunn moved to guard.....he played some OL last season.   But was not a full time starter  

R Jones was moved from guard to center 

Haggerty is a sophomore and playing tackle where Satchel was

Several other faces have rotated in and out in the shuffle looking for the right combination. 

The senior QB you mention (Burris) never had a varsity start prior to this season.  He was #3 last season behind JJ and Savion.  He still has 1500+ yards passing this season with 14 touchdowns.   That’s under performing???

The senior RB you mention (D Williams) has almost 700 yards rushing 7 scores.  Averaging just a tick over 5 yards a carry.  

Two of our senior WRs have over 300 yards receiving in Kelehan and Dee Williams.  Dom also has over 300 to go with his rushing yards.

We all knew the offense was going to struggle this season compared to past seasons. Go read the 5A thread from last season. It’s all there. It was a worry long long before the season.

And were still playing for the playoffs.

Our freshman team has shown some great promise. They won district last season.  Only one big district loss this season... 12 points to WH I believe.  Very good QB on the freshman team. 

I’ll be looking for you Saturday.

Ive seen the potential of our future. And I’m not worried. No matter what happens this Friday. 

We were expecting a lot more from this senior heavy oline to start the year. Not necessarily expecting them to be the strength, but definitely didn't expect them to be in shambles. I've never seen so many bad snaps in a season. The Mt Pleasant game was much improved in that area, but our oline was still dominated for the most part. 

Run blocking has been non existent. We will get stuffed on 80 percent of our runs, while the others are usually for big gains. That's where that 5-6 yard avg comes from. So the chains aren't moving consistently like the numbers might show. 

We must use some quick hit screens(wr, rb, jailbreak).  Be creative. Misdirection/double pass/trick plays can usually help with over pursuing defenses. How bout some wildcat(Dede or Rawls) a few times a game? RPOs maybe? These are things we normally see every year. Why all of a sudden are we so predictable? Tds are already rare this year, so what do you have to lose? 

This defense/special teams is too good to be sitting at home next week. Offense doesn't have to win the game for us, they just can't keep losing it!