Jump to content

4A Div. 1 Region 2 Final: Paris vs. Argyle


theblueguy
 Share

Recommended Posts

If Paris gets some turnovers and breaks you never know what will happen. Paris has a fleet of fast talented backs and heavy doses of their sweeps will pump the air out of a defense. Their scrappy undersized offensive line has gelled at the right time. It will be much closer than their district meeting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new McKinney ISD Stadium, huh?    According to Texas Bob's:   Opened in 2018 and seats 12,000 capacity,  very nice large video scoreboard and not sure what kind of artificial turf.......but it looks magnificent.  For an outdoor facility this one is a gem to play a regional final, for sure......esp. at the 4A level and Covid restrictions.  So about 6,000 at half capacity should make for a pretty darn exciting game for both schools.  I just hope they will allow the bands from BOTH schools to be in the stands playing away.  I kinda miss that part of the games.  Anybody know who is home team?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Got to with Argyle, this is their year. 
They have the perfect team chemistry. 
O line and defense match for the first time since they won their last state championship. 
Won’t be easy but Argyle by 10 or 14. 

Thanks for all of the votes of confidence.......but one game at a time.  The way things have transpired this year so far........you just don't know from one week to the next what might happen.  I'm just glad that we are still playing football this late in the season this year.  I'm up for rotator cuff surgery......maybe as early as next week.  Tore it on the golf course over a year ago and gave it a chance to heal itself over time.  But that just didn't happen and all the reports say these rotator tears don't heal themselves.  So if I want to get rid of the pain and be able to golf and be active like normal, then it's not a difficult choice.  The problem is the recovery period......4 mos. just to start with, and up to one year for a complete healing.  There goes my golf game, fish casting, and jetskiing for next year.  I think only one night in the hospital, so I should be able to watch the games, no problemo.  Then you have to wear your arm in a sling for 3-4 weeks after the surgery........no driving, no nothing.  Just sleeping becomes a struggle afterwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Thanks for all of the votes of confidence.......but one game at a time.  The way things have transpired this year so far........you just don't know from one week to the next what might happen.  I'm just glad that we are still playing football this late in the season this year.  I'm up for rotator cuff surgery......maybe as early as next week.  Tore it on the golf course over a year ago and gave it a chance to heal itself over time.  But that just didn't happen and all the reports say these rotator tears don't heal themselves.  So if I want to get rid of the pain and be able to golf and be active like normal, then it's not a difficult choice.  The problem is the recovery period......4 mos. just to start with, and up to one year for a complete healing.  There goes my golf game, fish casting, and jetskiing for next year.  I think only one night in the hospital, so I should be able to watch the games, no problemo.  Then you have to wear your arm in a sling for 3-4 weeks after the surgury........no driving, no nothing.  Just sleeping becomes a struggle afterwards.

Might I suggest a nice single malt scotch my good sir..js 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Might I suggest a nice single malt scotch my good sir..js 

Never tried one.......but my heritage on my father's side is mainly Scottish.  My mom's side is mainly Irish(McElroy surname).  Googled it up and there are lots of choices.......got any particular favorites you could suggest?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortnately for the fans that are interested.......there was no Livestream or tape to watch last night of the Paris/Melissa game.  You could have seen the most recent example of how good their RB's and QB really are.......and how quick and athletic they are on both sides of the ball.  I reckon Argyle will have plenty of tape history on them this season........maybe even something from last night's game?   I feel Paris has a really athletic, cohesive team this season, and having QB Hohenberger in his 2nd full season is a very big advantage for them over past seasons.  He's just good at every part of that position.......and keeps his offense directed and clicking on all cylinders.  Sometimes he doesn't get the credit he really deserves........but I think Paris would not be here now if they didn't have Hohenberger behind center.  He's a junior this season and has all the skill sets you look for in a quality QB at the high school level.  And he's got that football savvy by the boatloads, too.  His Dad is the coach, so for him the coaching never stops, LOL.......not even at the dinner table.  EXCEPT maybe if they are having banana pudding for dessert!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

Never tried one.......but my heritage on my father's side is mainly Scottish.  My mom's side is mainly Irish(McElroy surname).  Googled it up and there are lots of choices.......got any particular favorites you could suggest?

You can’t go wrong with a 18 year old Glenfiddich Single Malt; 👌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Dad preferred that Canadian Club stuff.......he kept a bottle around when we were kids.  I will admit me and my brothers had a snort or two on the sly every now and then. Back then I didn't exactly like the taste, but now I suspect it will more than fill the prescription......hahaha.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

My Dad preferred that Canadian Club stuff.......he kept a bottle around when we were kids.  I will admit me and my brothers had a snort or two on the sly every now and then. Back then I didn't exactly like the taste, but now I suspect it will more than fill the prescription......hahaha.

Medicinal use only!😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sat down this morning and replayed the first Paris-Argyle meeting and have these random observations:

  • Both teams can look back on cleaning up mistakes in execution (turnovers and penalties).  Argyle can certainly point to some missed opportunities on their end.  Paris can point to a muffed punt which set up Argyle's first score, a couple of blown coverage assignments which gave the Eagles two easy TD catches, and a killer scoop&score near the end of the first half that extended Argyle's lead to 21-7.   The only score in the second half came after Paris turned the ball over on a 4th-down gamble at midfield.  Argyle was definitely the better team that night, but the 21-point final margin was misleading.
  • Paris was coming off their district bye week and had two weeks to prepare.  The Cats added the option-pitch to their offense in that game which may have caught Argyle off-guard early, but the Eagles quickly made adjustments.  They pretty much shut down Paris' ability to go wide in the second half and they collapsed the pocket to prevent Hohenberger from escaping on scrambles.
  • If I'm not mistaken, it may have been Tito Bryce's first or second game back from injury.  At any rate, he definitely wasn't 100%.  I watched the Argyle-LaVega stream last night, and he looked like his old self.  That's going to put extra pressure on the Paris defense next week.  It doesn't take a genius to guess that Argyle's game plan will be to pound between the tackles behind that big O-line and pick their spots in the passing game.
  • You always expect Argyle to have the advantage on special teams, but the Cats have to do a much better job on punt returns (assuming there will be opportunities).  They gave up way too much field position in the first game.

As previously stated on here, this has been a one-sided series with Argyle owning an 11-0 edge and average winning margin of 25.4 points since the school's first meeting in 2008.  The realist in me always hopes for a one-score game in the fourth quarter.  That's only happened twice in the series' history.  I just hope the winner goes on to a state title and we're able to look back on this game to say "That was for the state championship."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...